We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Director at Magnamious Systems Pvt. Ltd.
Reseller
Support of the IBM X platform and the backup data replication to DR are valuable, but it needs a lot of improvements
  • "Support of the IBM X platform and the backup data replication to DR are the most valuable features."
  • "It has a lot of areas for improvement. Its reporting for job completion or incompletion can be improved. It should also provide a granular recovery, ease of operation, data life cycle management, and media management. It should support a backup in such a format that in case of a disaster, one can start the virtual machine out of the backup itself. Its reliability can also be better. It is also expensive, and their support is also poor."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for backup.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It has a lot of areas for improvement. Its reporting for job completion or incompletion can be improved. It should also provide a granular recovery, ease of operation, data life cycle management, and media management.

It should support a backup in such a format that in case of a disaster, one can start the virtual machine out of the backup itself. Its reliability can also be better. It is also expensive, and their support is also poor.

I have been using this solution for the past five to six years.

From a security point of view, there are fewer concerns about the backup as long as you encrypt the data.

It is scalable. The scalability also depends on your network architecture, etc.

Their technical support is very poor. We are not very happy with them.

Its initial setup is complex. It took three to four days.

My team members handle the deployment. The number of people required depends on the number of IT assets that we are trying to protect.

It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it depending on the use cases, but it is better to avoid IBM now. It is a new era of other solutions. IBM should catch up or allow itself to become extinct.

I would rate IBM Spectrum Protect a five out of ten.

manager technique at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
Stable legacy solution for tape libraries, but lacks unified GUI
  • "The feature we have found most valuable is when you want to integrate it with a Tape Library and then do the DRM life cycle. That is when it works the best."
  • "They do not have a unified GUI, they only work on CLI and operations center, which is really complicated for the installation and configuration."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is using it for protecting the physical environment.

What is most valuable?

The feature we have found most valuable is when you want to integrate it with a Tape Library and then do the DRM life cycle. That is when it works the best.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, the integration with Cloud and a simplified, unified GUI. They do not have a unified GUI, they only work on CLI and operations center, which is really complicated for the installation and configuration.

I have been using IBM Spectrum Protect for almost 15 years.

It is very stable.

Yes, it is scalable. It is scalable with Db2 and it can be scalable with the metatext.

Their technical support is good.

The initial setup can be a little bit complex.

It could be simplified.

The pricing is costly.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give IBM Spectrum Protect around a 7.

To raise that score, I would like to see Cloud integration and full Cloud support.

Additionally, they have much less support in terms of backing up the SQL databases than other applications.

There are many modernized applications out there in the market. If someone has a full legacy with tape in front or if they have purely tape and they want to use tapes, then for them I would say it is a very good solution. But if they want to move towards Cloud and modernize more, then I think there are better solutions to look into than IBM, such as Veeam or Cohesity or Rubrik.

Learn what your peers think about IBM Spectrum Protect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Thiago Souza
Solutions Architect at Net Place
MSP
Feature complete, scalable, and high availability
    • "The installation process could be simplified."

What is most valuable?

Overall the solution is fairly complete.

What needs improvement?

The installation process could be simplified. However, the tool is comprehensive and if the installation is too easy, then the tool itself will be too simple as well. I do not see any pain points. The only issue I see is the pricing, it is expensive.

We have been using the solution with the last 12 months.

It is a really capable tool. It is the best solutions on the market regarding recovering and the way it functions.

The scalability is really good. It is very capable, it has high availability, multiple backup servers, many posts, and workloads.

The installation is complex. It is a comprehensive solution as IBM has evolved from the TSM and Tivoli Storage Manager. It has multiple integrators, allowing it to communicate with most of the kinds of workloads. It is not easy to deploy.

We usually had three people doing the deployment. The solution uses multiple integrators, for example, they integrated with Oracle, SAP HANA, Microsoft, and Bare Metal. You will normally need one senior deployer, and a senior analyst to deploy it. If the individual that is going to do the deployment is a high-level senior person, he can do it by himself depending on experience. If there is not a senior person, you are going to need more than one to assist.

The solution is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is capable of connecting to the cloud, public or private, but we are currently using it on-premises on this particular project.

I rate IBM Spectrum Protect a nine out of ten.

Anower H  Mozumder
    Service Delivery Manager at Thakral
    MSP
    Easy to deploy product with good load replication
    • "IBM Spectrum Protect is a scalable solution."
    • "We did not see any drawbacks to IBM Spectrum Protect before assisting a customer using Windows that wanted to migrate to using UNIX. IBM Spectrum Protect does not offer an option to migrate from other operating systems."

What is most valuable?

The feature I have found the most valuable is load replication.

What needs improvement?

There are some drawbacks to load replication as well. On their site, you only have the option to restore a backup. You cannot download it. That is a limitation.

I have been working on IBM Spectrum Protect since 2006.

IBM Spectrum Protect is a stable solution.

IBM Spectrum Protect is a scalable solution.

How good the technical support is depends on the severity level of your problem. We solve most issues ourselves. But, when we have to escalate an issue and contact IMB's tech support, it can take a long time to get in touch with them because you have to go through Passport Advantage Online.

Prior to 2006, I worked with the 7TECH backup system. However, I did not work on a large scale. We had it deployed on a single machine on a single server.

The initial setup was easy but it does require focus. You have to have experience with IBM Spectrum Protect to deploy. However, if you do have the experience, it is easy.

The price of IBM Spectrum Protect is a bit higher than other products.

Network Administrator at a government with 51-200 employees
    Good speed performance, but the interface should be more user-friendly
    • "The most valuable feature is the backup speed."
    • "The interface could be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to back up our VMs and files locally and then to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the backup speed.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be more user-friendly.

In the future, I would like to see more features regarding file backup, as well as multiple cloud integration.

We have been using IBM Spectrum Protect for about two years.

The stability is good.

Spectrum Protect is used to back up our infrastructure on the backend and is not directly related to the number of people in the company.

We are using both Veeam and Spectrum Protect.

The initial setup was a little bit complex. Our deployment took a couple of months to complete.

A consultant assisted us with our deployment.

The licensing fees are between $8,000 and $10,000 per year.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is to implement the newest version, IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.

This is a good product, although it would be better if it were easier to use and manage.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Albert Hernaus
    Storage Consultant at E-Storage
    A scalable and stable solution that we have been using for around 20 years

What is our primary use case?

We are using a specific version of the solution, ten something.  We use it to increase our recovery capabilities.

What needs improvement?

The solution should have better integration with VMware and with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.

I have been using IBM Spectrum Protect for around 20 years, although I have been utilizing IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for two to three.

We have no complaints about the stability.

The solution is really scalable.

Technical support could be so much faster.

The installation is…

What is our primary use case?

We are using a specific version of the solution, ten something.

We use it to increase our recovery capabilities.

What needs improvement?

We have no complaints about the stability.

The solution is really scalable.

Technical support could be so much faster.

The installation is straightforward and required around 20 servers.

It took us about an hour.

When it comes to the deployment and maintenance, certain administrative skills are required.

We have a special license, the name of which is escaping me at the moment, which grants us use for an unlimited number of years.

We must pay for a full license.

What other advice do I have?

Since our organization affords use to 50 clients per server, this comes out to around 1,000 clients.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate IBM Spectrum Protect as an eight out of ten.

Beat Halter
    Head of Cloud & Systems at Abraxas Informatik AG
    A great user interface, unfortunately technical support is lacking

What is our primary use case?

Our current primary use case for this solution is for file backup. I'm head of cloud systems and we are customers of IBM.

What is most valuable?

I believe the user interface is a good feature. The personnel who work with the product on a daily basis seem to be satisfied with what's possible.

What needs improvement?

This is quite an expensive solution so I'd like to see the cost reduced. Technical support could be improved.

We've been using this solution for 20 years.

The product is stable. We have one person involved with maintenance.

This is a scalable solution. We have 25 users in the…

What needs improvement?

We've been using this solution for 20 years.

The product is stable. We have one person involved with maintenance.

This is a scalable solution. We have 25 users in the company.

The technical support really needs to be improved.

The initial setup was quite complex. It required experienced and skilled people with a lot of know-how. We used a consultant for the deployment.

I'm not sure what the licensing fees are but I believe they are substantial.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Technology Analyst at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good customization and ability to backup across all platforms, but needs better support and reporting

What is our primary use case?

I am using it for standard data protection, backup recovery, and disaster recovery. I am using its most recent version.

What is most valuable?

The customization and the ability to backup across all platforms are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

Their support is not as strong as most of the products. It should have the ability to break down the data that's being backed up. It should have better reporting.

I have been using this solution for a little bit over a year.

It is quite stable. It is pretty much set-and-forget.

It is scalable.

It can be…

What is our primary use case?

I am using its most recent version.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Their support is not as strong as most of the products.

I have been using this solution for a little bit over a year.

It is quite stable. It is pretty much set-and-forget.

It is scalable.

It can be fairly complex depending on what is being set up.

That's a hard estimate. It depends on the licensing, the hardware, and other stuff, but it is fairly expensive. It is generally more expensive than other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate IBM Spectrum Protect a seven out of 10.

Download our free IBM Spectrum Protect Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.