IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM Rational System Architect OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Rational System Architect is #12 ranked solution in top Architecture Management tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Rational System Architect an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM Rational System Architect is most commonly compared to Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect: IBM Rational System Architect vs Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
What is IBM Rational System Architect?
IBM Rational System Architect is an enterprise architecture solution for visualizing, analyzing, and communicating enterprise architecture and business process analysis. This solution provides decision support, process optimization, and integration into solution delivery. Rational System Architect addresses all aspects of your organization's enterprise architecture, including modeling, publishing, analysis, and execution.

IBM Rational System Architect was previously known as Rational System Architect.

Download the Architecture Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2022

IBM Rational System Architect Customers
Wuxi Lake Cloud, Nationwide, ETI, IDS Scheer
IBM Rational System Architect Video

IBM Rational System Architect Reviews

IT/Business Architect at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Stable with good customization of the meta-model and good reporting
  • "The solution is pretty stable."
  • "The solution needs to better integrate with other products, like Microsoft."

What is our primary use case?

When we selected this product, we were in an implementation of our ERC, and in that context, we had a lot of information and models to manage. That was the main reason that I recommended back-up storage. I was aware that when the change or the transformation was taking place, we were managing so many documents related to the way our enterprise is organized and functions. We needed this type of solution to manage it, and that was the main reason we had it in our organization.

What is most valuable?

The main advantage of the solution and its most valuable aspect is the customization of the meta-model.

The module for publishing reports is very good.

The solution is pretty stable.

What needs improvement?

I didn't use the solution for very long, so it's hard to go too in-depth with what the solution may have been lacking.

In the commercial approach, a lot of implication is on the technical. I wasn't really well supported when I was using it, which made it difficult.

The integration with all other modules could be a bit better. If you want make it a universal solution, you have to add some items, and find the modules you need. That's not too helpful for clients. They need to have a package that can satisfy clients fully on every project.

The solution needs to better integrate with other products, like Microsoft.

We basically just used the solution as part of an experiment, and not throughout the entire enterprise. It wasn't that long.

It's very stable. When I used to have a crash on the desktop, I used to restore it and it worked fine.

The technical support was fine. However, we accessed it online. It was not a special technical team that dedicated for us. Overall, we were pretty satisfied with the experience.

What other advice do I have?

Unfortunately, those that set up the solution didn't inform the new management and kind-of did it as an experiment. In the end, management decided not to proceed with usage.

When we used it, we had it installed on a simple desktop. We didn't manage it in a public environment.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at an eight.

I can recommend the solution, however only for the meta-model customization. Integration with all other software, like Microsoft, to facilitate an exchange, is not great. It can be an issue when it comes to ensuring the deliverables happen within the current software.

IT/Business Architect at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Lots of valuable features, especially the metamodel customization
  • "There are a lot of features I find valuable, but I think that the metamodel customization is one of the best features that the solution offers."
  • "The reverse engineering of the database is already there, but in the next release I would like to see some pilot supplied with the solution in order to address any database."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a bank and we are using IBM Rational System Architect in our department.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features I find valuable, but I think that the metamodel customization is one of the best features that the solution offers.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, we did not take the whole package with all the modules, and I think that the integration with other platforms like Office could be better.

The reverse engineering of the database is already there, but in the next release I would like to see some pilot supplied with the solution in order to address any database.

It is very stable.

IBM Rational System Architect is scalable.

We are five people using it, but in term of production, when we produce a model, it can be utilized by many people.

In the past, we were on the Passport Advantage, so support was doing well. But now we are reconsidering some factors to go to another platform, so we did not continue with support for the application.

We are also currently working with Microsoft Visio.

The initial setup was very easy for us because we did not set up an environment with shared clients. We have a standalone installation on each location.

We acquired IBM Rational System Architect in 2011 and we have not upgraded or taken other supplement modules since. So I don't know how to evaluate this dimension. When we first acquired the product it was a good price.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering IBM Rational System Architect would be to take into consideration all the features that they will need for their experience. Normally, the solution should integrate the publishing modules. It was sold separately and it is not very easy for somebody who wants to use the solution for modeling to think that you have to select specific modules in order to use the product.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give IBM Rational System Architect an eight.

Download our free Architecture Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Sparx Systems, SAP, and more!
Updated: April 2022