IBM DataPower Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM DataPower Gateway is the #1 ranked solution in top SOA Application Gateways, #2 ranked solution in top Application Infrastructure tools, #4 ranked solution in top ESB (Enterprise Service Bus) tools, and #5 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give IBM DataPower Gateway an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. IBM DataPower Gateway is most commonly compared to IBM API Connect: IBM DataPower Gateway vs IBM API Connect. IBM DataPower Gateway is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 77% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 24% of all views.
IBM DataPower Gateway Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM DataPower Gateway Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is IBM DataPower Gateway?

IBM DataPower Gateway is a robust, secure next-generation enterprise-grade single multichannel API gateway that supplies dynamic access, integration, control, and outstanding security. The solution is available in a broad range of workload capabilities, including application programming interface (API), service oriented architecture (SOA), B2B, cloud, web, and mobile. These dynamic capabilities ensure users are able to quickly increase the reach of an organization's critical IT resources to new channels, which will provide shareholders, team members, and clients with safe, secure access at all times.

DataPower Gateway is very flexible and is widely available in virtual, cloud, traditional, physical, Docker, and Linux form factors.

IBM DataPower Gateway Features

IBM DataPower Gateway has many value-added features. Some of these features are included below:

• Control: The solution provides decision point authorization and authentication for all standards, including Lightweight Direct Access Protocol (LDAP) and Open Authorization (OAuth), which allow for better access control across an organization’s entire network.
  • DataPower dashboard: The dashboard is specifically designed to enhance performance and determine problematic processes. The solution provides intuitive real-time performance transparency to diagnose operational and performance anomalies and offer repair and restoration recommendations.
  • Enhanced messaging: Users are able to easily mediate messaging and protocols by incorporating the best of today’s traditional and modern application standards.
  • Integration: IBM DataPower Gateway offers super fast mainframe connectivity, database connectivity, transport protocol bridging, content-based routing, and any-to-any message transformation, ensuring secure and immediate connect service.

IBM DataPower Gateway Benefits

IBM DataPower Gateway provides many benefits. Some of those benefits include:

• Flexibility: The solution is easy to use and configure and provides for a pleasant, intuitive overall user experience. The solution can immediately be used out of the box, which makes overall process management simple.
  • Protection: The solution provides sturdy continuous service protection and application performance using robust powerful routing and traffic control.
  • Security: The solution’s enterprise-grade De-Militarized Zone (DMZ) ready gateway enables users to enforce the desired runtime application security across all messaging protocols.
  • Profitability: The solution’s design ensures significant reduction of development costs in addition to the streamlining of overall operations. Users are able to achieve reduced total cost of ownership (TCO) and experience a near-immediate ROI.

Reviews from Real Users

“My company has a good impression of IBM DataPower Gateway. What I like about it is that because it's an appliance, it's a turnkey solution that's very fast and out of the box. Another valuable feature of IBM DataPower Gateway is that it's easy to integrate with other products.”- Bálint T., Solution Manager at Intalion

“You don't have to have a separate DMC proxy because DataPower Gateway is an appliance and will take care of a lot of security features. These include data validations, encryption, as well as XML or any type of scripting or security threats that are present. From a security point of view, being an appliance in the DMC zone, IBM DataPower Gateway will take care of the entire security angle for the infrastructure.” - Sathyan K., Founder/Director at perfTech Solutions Pvt Ltd

IBM DataPower Gateway was previously known as WebSphere DataPower, IBM DataPower, IBM WebSphere DataPower.

IBM DataPower Gateway Customers

RBL Bank, Availity

IBM DataPower Gateway Video

IBM DataPower Gateway Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM DataPower Gateway pricing:
  • "The total cost of IBM DataPower Gateway would depend on the configuration, but in my experience, it can amount to 60,000 Euros per box, even for the virtual version. Usually, customers need high availability and a non-production environment, so the total price for IBM DataPower Gateway can be quite a lot. It can be 200,000 Euros or a similar figure."
  • "IBM DataPower Gateway is quite expensive to get resources to work on this product. If the price could be cheaper, I think that will make it a little bit better and easily accessible to smaller clients. Then it could compete with other solutions that are available in the market. There's a whole lot of other solutions available that work well and are cheaper than IBM's products."
  • "This product is a bit expensive as IBM products are costly assets. However, for enterprise customers it is a worthwhile investment."
  • "The cost is very high and requires all five components in the API management solution."
  • "As far as I know, they have a perpetual license for this product. They are paying perpetual fees rather than an annual subscription or annual pricing."
  • "The licensing cost is very expensive."
  • IBM DataPower Gateway Reviews

Bálint Tóth - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution Manager at Intalion
    An out-of-the-box solution that's feature-rich, fast, and easy to integrate with other products
    • "My company has a good impression of IBM DataPower Gateway. What I like about it is that because it's an appliance, it's a turnkey solution that's very fast and out of the box. Compared to other gateways, I also like that IBM DataPower Gateway is function-rich. For example, for one of the projects, there was a need for specific transformation and security features available in IBM DataPower Gateway out of the box, so my team just needed to configure the appliance. There was no need for separate development, and I found it quite neat. Another valuable feature of IBM DataPower Gateway is that it's easy to integrate with other products."
    • "An area for improvement in IBM DataPower Gateway is its price point because it's a relatively expensive product. Sometimes, when the customer use case is just a very small subset of what's being offered in IBM DataPower Gateway, then the product can be expensive, making my company lose some of the opportunities because of the expensive pricing. A lower price point for IBM DataPower Gateway, even if that results in a less feature-rich version, would be appreciated. In terms of additional features that I'd like to see in the next release of IBM DataPower Gateway, nothing specific comes to mind because IBM constantly improves its standards and provides quarterly updates to the product, so it's quite fine."

What is most valuable?

My company has a good impression of IBM DataPower Gateway. What I like about it is that because it's an appliance, it's a turnkey solution that's very fast and out of the box.

Compared to other gateways, I also like that IBM DataPower Gateway is function-rich. For example, for one of the projects, there was a need for specific transformation and security features available in IBM DataPower Gateway out of the box, so my team just needed to configure the appliance. There was no need for separate development, and I found it quite neat.

Another valuable feature of IBM DataPower Gateway is that it's easy to integrate with other products.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement in IBM DataPower Gateway is its price point because it's a relatively expensive product. Sometimes, when the customer use case is just a very small subset of what's being offered in IBM DataPower Gateway, then the product can be expensive, making my company lose some of the opportunities because of the expensive pricing.

A lower price point for IBM DataPower Gateway, even if that results in a less feature-rich version, would be appreciated.

In terms of additional features that I'd like to see in the next release of IBM DataPower Gateway, nothing specific comes to mind because IBM constantly improves its standards and provides quarterly updates to the product, so it's quite fine.

I've been working with and supporting IBM DataPower Gateway locally for six years now.

From a technical point of view, IBM DataPower Gateway performs quite well, so my team had no concerns at all in terms of performance, reliability, and stability. When deploying IBM DataPower Gateway for banks and other financial institutions here in Hungary, I've observed that you can almost forget about it because it's a good product with no issues.

IBM DataPower Gateway
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about IBM DataPower Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.

IBM DataPower Gateway is a scalable product, but Hungary is a relatively small market, so even the smallest size is sometimes too big for the customer. Scaling the product downwards would be better because it's more suitable for small businesses. IBM DataPower Gateway is less applicable to mid-size and large businesses.

We had no issue with the technical support for IBM DataPower Gateway. In the past few years, we had to open just very, very few tickets that were answered promptly. There was even one case where the physical appliance had a hardware issue. The power supply had to be replaced, and the replacement came automatically within the promised timeframe, so support was okay.

The initial setup for IBM DataPower Gateway was straightforward. The hours and effort dedicated to the implementation of the product were quite low compared to other products, though not necessarily gateways. You can do most of the implementation steps, and IBM DataPower Gateway requires a relatively easy configuration, and as it's out of the box, you can just customize it.

The total cost of IBM DataPower Gateway would depend on the configuration, but in my experience, it can amount to 60,000 Euros per box, even for the virtual version. Usually, customers need high availability and a non-production environment, so the total price for IBM DataPower Gateway can be quite a lot. It can be 200,000 Euros or a similar figure.

IBM DataPower Gateway is still in an early phase with us, especially because of its price point. As some of our customers need a less functional and less costly solution, we're looking at other alternatives on their behalf, such as Kong API Gateway and WSO2, but we don't have too much experience with those solutions.

What other advice do I have?

My company is a system integrator for IBM DataPower Gateway and other solutions in Hungary. My company also provides customer-side consultancy for some projects, particularly providing expertise for customer deployments and other related areas.

Just a few people use IBM DataPower Gateway within my company. There's a team of ten people that covers other solutions and competency levels as well. Only one or two people utilize IBM DataPower Gateway full-time.

What I'd tell others who want to implement IBM DataPower Gateway is that it's a reliable product.

My rating for IBM DataPower Gateway is nine out of ten. Technically, it's okay. It's only the price point that needs improvement because it's a bit expensive in some cases.

My company is an IBM partner.

Andile-Hlongwane - PeerSpot reviewer
    Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to use, plenty of functionality, but expensive
    • "The solution is straightforward and for large organizations, it functions well."
    • "IBM DataPower Gateway is quite big for smaller organizations, looking at different types of clients who are virtually assisted in this, I would say it's not really a good product for smaller firms."

What is our primary use case?

We're using IBM DataPower Gateway for API management more than anything else. When I started in 2018, it was being used in conjunction with IBM Integration Bus. We were doing all the integrations on the IIB then when it comes to API management and all the other gateway operations, including security, that does not have anything to do with APIs, we're are using IBM DataPower.

What is most valuable?

The solution is straightforward and for large organizations, it functions well.

What needs improvement?

IBM DataPower Gateway is quite big for smaller organizations, looking at different types of clients who are virtually assisted in this, I would say it's not really a good product for smaller firms.

I have been using IBM DataPower Gateway for three years.

IBM DataPower Gateway is quite stable if you know your way around.

We have four customers that are using this solution. We have millions of users using this solution.

The scalability is a bit of an issue when you are a smaller firm because it can be quite expensive. If you are using an on-premise version, it's not as scalable because you need to buy the hardware devices. If you are using the virtual version, it's a little bit easier to scale.

The technical support is always available and I think it's one of the options they are charging us for. They are well-informed agents. You better know your way around the solution, otherwise, you're going to rely on technical support for a whole lot of things.

We have previously used Microsoft BizTalk Server. I've also worked with webMethods and a little bit of MuleSoft.

The installation is not that easy.

I would rate the ease of installation a six out of ten.

The number of staff that we need for the implementation of the solution depends on the scale of the environment, but you certainly need a couple of engineers for the support and management. IBM has a set amount of people that are required.

IBM DataPower Gateway is quite expensive to get resources to work on this product. If the price could be cheaper, I think that will make it a little bit better and easily accessible to smaller clients. Then it could compete with other solutions that are available in the market. There's a whole lot of other solutions available that work well and are cheaper than IBM's products.

They have to reconsider the price of the solution. It's way too expensive. I don't think it's going to last that long in the market right now. There's a lot of other solutions that are out there that are doing the same job, or even better, with a cheaper price. Soon enough, IBM is going to run into trouble when comes to the price.

I have evaluated many other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend IBM DataPower Gateway because there are other solutions that are better.

I rate IBM DataPower Gateway a seven out of ten.

IBM DataPower Gateway
    November 2022
    655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Sathyan K - PeerSpot reviewer
    Founder, Director at perfTech Solutions Pvt Ltd
    Is easy to implement, maintain, and scale, and does not need a separate DMC proxy
    • "You don't have to have a separate DMC proxy because DataPower Gateway is an appliance and will take care of a lot of security features. These include data validations, encryption, as well as XML or any type of scripting or security threats that are present."
    • "The user interface or the application development perspective and customization of the tool could be a little better."

What is our primary use case?

We have a global banking customer who uses IBM DataPower Gateway to expose their APIs for customer use.

What is most valuable?

You don't have to have a separate DMC proxy because DataPower Gateway is an appliance and will take care of a lot of security features. These include data validations, encryption, as well as XML or any type of scripting or security threats that are present.

From a security point of view, being an appliance in the DMC zone, IBM DataPower Gateway will take care of the entire security angle for the infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

The user interface or the application development perspective and customization of the tool could be a little better.

I've been using this product for more than five years now.

It is stable, and the performance is good as well.

It is easy to scale as the product itself has the capability to install it as a cluster. So it can be scaled vertically or horizontally.

We have a team of about 10 developers and 10 to 15 enterprise customers globally.

For this particular product, the technical support is good.

I would give them an eight out of ten because there are some stability issues related to new features that have been added. They could have tested them and released them later rather than releasing them right now.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is pretty straightforward because it's an appliance, so you don't have much complexity from an installation and configuration perspective. I would give the setup process a five out of five.

We implemented it in-house. It hardly takes any time; perhaps a day or two.

The only maintenance you need to be worried about is upgrading the patches, and you need to make sure that you apply those on time. We have two people who are responsible for the maintenance and administration.

The licensing cost is based on the PVU and will depend upon the number of CPUs used for the virtual appliances.

If you are buying the license based on the PVUs, then you won't have any additional costs because all of the features will be available. However, if you are not going with the product with the PVU and you're going with certain features, then you will need to add those features, specifically security features, and pay for them. That is, there are certain features that are on a pay-per-feature basis if you are not going with a PVU license.

I would give pricing a rating of three out of five.

What other advice do I have?

If you are an enterprise customer, I would definitely advise that it is better to go for IBM DataPower. You won't need to have a proxy or any other security measures required in the DMC, and it is easy to implement and easy to maintain and scale.

Overall, I would rate IBM DataPower Gateway at ten out of ten.

Middleware Administrator at Pronteff IT Solutions
    Many security features, easy to use and not much development is needed
    • "Since it is a gateway, it provides a lot of security features."
    • "The programming language is only supported in XSLT and Gateway script."

What is our primary use case?

We use both cloud and on-premise solutions. We focus on the BFSI, one of India's largest banks, as well as the financial sector and telecommunications.

How has it helped my organization?

We implement the solution for our clients and currently have more than 70 staff members on our team.

What is most valuable?

Since it is a gateway, it provides a lot of security features. It's also easy to use with not much development needed. We can deploy mostly with the drag-and-drop policies.

What needs improvement?

Right now, the programming language is only supported in XSLT and Gateway script. Offering another programming language like Python would be better for all. We had one difficulty with signing and encryption, which it doesn't support in the data pool but does in Java programming language. It wasn't contained in the latest algorithm, so that's an issue we faced with one customer.

We have been using it for the last five years.

The data pool product is stable and we did not find any bugs. API management launched two years back and we consider it quite unstable because we still face a lot of bugs.

The solution is best for medium to large companies and is easy to scale.

We are in yearly contact with technical support. We have reported every bug and they try to fix them within a short span of time. If they can't fix bugs quickly, they include them in new releases and give an ETA to us. Knowledge base and response time could be improved.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

This is the solution we currently implement for our customers.

Initial setup is very easy. If you go with container deployment, it can be a little bit tricky. The first time you install a container you will face issues, but the next time will be easier.

We implement the solution for our clients. We also provide maintenance every quarter to give support to the production environment. If the client needs extra features, the project is more complex and takes more development time.

The cost is very high and requires all five components in the API management solution, such as API Portal, Analytics, and App Connect. But with MuleSoft, everything is with a single vendor.

We want to explore MuleSoft and introduce it to our company. We are not going to replace IBM right now, but we want to be able propose either IBM or MuleSoft based on customer requirements such as features and cost.

What other advice do I have?

We are a gold partner with IBM. DataPower Gateway is quite cool but API Manage needs to be more stable. Without testing, they released the product into the market. This is what we have observed. Sometimes, even small features in the big product do not work.

I would rate this product an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Business&Integration Arch Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    A security and integration platform that is very stable
    • "I like that it is very stable, and we never experience any downtime."
    • "Traceability could be improved, especially for business operations. The traceability of the transactions could be an improvement point for DataPower to work on. It would be better if they provided JSON support. JSON protocol data has changed format. It started performing internal transformation to JSONx. This might be an additional complexity."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for ITM API for one of our customers.

What is most valuable?

I like that it is very stable, and we never experience any downtime.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if they provided JSON support. JSON protocol data has changed format. It started performing internal transformation to JSONx. This might be an additional complexity.

I have been using IBM DataPower Gateway for more than three years.

We do not have any stability issues around the power source. We experienced that as a physical appliance, and then we also changed it to a virtual appliance in both setups. We are very happy, especially about the stability of the product. We did not experience any downtime, even if the number of transactions increased heavily. That is the best thing.

We are not using the cloud-native version of this program. I know that IBM API connects with some other deployment patterns, but I did not experience them. The physical appliance is like a physical machine, so it is hard to scale.

You have more flexibility with the virtual version of the appliance. For instance, compared to WSO2's API manager, and according to my experience, it is not as easy to scale physical or virtual appliances.

They have a very wide range of support globally. We are working in Turkey, and we have IBM people locally. It is easy to get support, but since the product's stability is really good, we do not need much support from the vendor.

I did not install it myself, but since it is not installed on the cloud-native environment, like OpenShift or Kubernetes, it is not a containerized version. It was harder for the third-party providers who installed the product. We have roughly six people on the maintenance and operation side of the fleet.

A third-party service provider installed this product. It requires experience, and it is not very easy for your teams to learn how to install it. You need consulting services to set up such a product in your environment.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to other companies, especially large enterprises. I would not recommend it to customers in the SME segment or startups or scale-ups.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give IBM DataPower Gateway an eight.

Sr. Solution Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Good performance and easy to integrate but could be more user-friendly
    • "The performance is good. It's been very stable."
    • "We are always looking for more features wherein it could be easily integrated with cloud applications. We are looking for either a cloud solution or a cloud integration option."

What is our primary use case?

DataPower is normally used as an ESB. It's mainly used to act as a mediator or act as a middleware for developing systems to send messages for ESB. We are just using DataPower as an ESB.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that it remains on a USB.

The performance is good. It's been very stable.

The product is easy to integrate.

What needs improvement?

We use it from a maintenance point of view and therefore do not necessarily need extra features.

The solution could be more user-friendly.

While it's been used in our organization for somewhere around ten years, I've personally used it here for three or four years or so.

The solution is very stable. The company has used it for a number of years now without any issue. It's quite reliable.

I'm not sure if the solution is scalable. I've never tried to scale the solution.

I'm not aware of any plans at this time that would include increasing usage.

I haven't heard of any issues with technical support. They are okay. We are largely satisfied with their level of service.

Previously, we were using the webMethods server.

I wasn't a part of the installation process. I can't speak to how easy or difficult the process was.

We do have one or two members on the team who actually work in both DevOps and development. If needed, they can do the deployment as well. They are engineers.

It is a licensed product. We pay for it on a yearly basis.

We'd like a solution that can integrate better with the could. However, right now we don't want to invest in that effort to evaluate certain products.

What other advice do I have?

While I don't have the specific version number on hand, I know that we are using one of the latest releases.

We hardly work with the DataPower part. It's only whenever we use it as an ESB; it supports the design features of an ESB.

I'm pretty neutral on the product. I would not discourage or encourage others from using it. I don't use it too much myself.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

CTO & Application Infrastructure Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Robust, good tools that make it easy to work with and install
    • "What I like most is the stability."
    • "The two biggest issues of this solution are the complexity and the maintenance procedures."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for exposing services to our partners.

What is most valuable?

What I like most is the stability.

What needs improvement?

There is quite a lot that needs improvement. It's a very complex product and it takes time to get to control it and to know it. It's all about gaining knowledge in it.

Also, the maintenance procedure of the physical machines and physical appliances is quite complicated, and there are some issues with it. Sometimes, when we deal with the maintenance process because the machine isn't booting, it comes down to working with support in the middle of the night.

In the next release, I would like to see it easier to deeply, easier automated processes, easier maintenance, easier control, better monitoring, and I would like the information or knowledge documentation to be more accessible.

I have been working with IBM DataPower Gateway for six years.

Its stability is one of the best features.

We have a pretty low load. We have not had to scale it.

We have quite a few users in our organizations.

We don't have plans to increase usage in DataPower, only with IBM API Connect.

We don't have local support, we are in Isreal and it takes longer.

Technical support needs improvement. It is not always easy to connect with them.

We are also using IBM API Connect.

The differences are the portal and standards.

DataPower is a bit easier to work with. Also the analytics.

It has a set of tools that make life easier when it comes to developing APIs.

It's very straightforward. It has no automation and no modern tools to make it possible to develop quickly and to deploy it quickly. It's pretty much old-school.

The licensing cost is very expensive.

Other options were considered, but approximately three years ago, I reconsidered and decided to proceed with IBM.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend working on the physical appliance and not the virtual one. Consider the licensing aspect, and try to evaluate it three to five years ahead.

Also, look closely at the competition as there are now quite a few good competitors, and make sure the features suit you best.

I would rate IBM DataPower Gateway an eight out of ten.

Cybersecurity Professional Services Consultant at a security firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Great for controlling and testing usage and very stable
    • "The scalability of the solution is good."
    • "The product should be more adapted to the DevOps process."

What is our primary use case?

I used it on-premises to secure the BUS, the integration layer. It helped us to comply with the GDPR, and, in Brazil, LGPD. It helped us to be compliant with the local regulations, local law as well.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspects were mainly the XML Firewall and the access management as well as the IAM in DataPower which we used to control and test the usage.

The scalability of the solution is good.

The solution has been quite stable over the years.

What needs improvement?

The customization of the solution isn't as straightforward as we would like it to be. There should be more integration capabilities and it should be much easier to integrate other products.

The product should be more adapted to the DevOps process.

The product was very sensitive to heat. The hardware had a hard time if it wasn't cool enough.

The initial setup is quite difficult. You need to be well-trained in the solution in order to understand the process.

I've used the solution over the past five or six years or so. It's been a while. However, we actually stopped using it about five or six months ago, in November of last year.

The solution was very stable. We had no issues with it in that sense. It didn't crash or freeze and there were no bugs or glitches.

We found the scalability to be quite good. If a company needs to expand the product, it can do so.

We had about 30 developers and 1,000 end users on the solution.

Technical support is pretty good, once you get past the initial interaction phase. They are quite helpful and responsive. We're quite satisfied with their level of support.

The initial setup is pretty complex. It's not exactly straightforward. To develop and deploy the integration, it's necessary to have two professionals for the integration, which is a bit complicated.

I can't recall how long the deployment process took, as, by the time I arrived at the organization, the implementation had already happened. I mostly dealt with integrations.

What other advice do I have?

I worked with the solution at my previous company. I'm not sure which version of the solution we were using.

I'd advise companies considering the solution to ensure they have some well-trained professionals to administrate the product. However, it is quite easy to architect the solution.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.