HPE StorageWorks MSA OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HPE StorageWorks MSA is the #6 ranked solution in top Modular SAN (Storage Area Network) tools. PeerSpot users give HPE StorageWorks MSA an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. HPE StorageWorks MSA is most commonly compared to IBM FlashSystem: HPE StorageWorks MSA vs IBM FlashSystem. HPE StorageWorks MSA is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Modular SAN (Storage Area Network) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is HPE StorageWorks MSA?
Whether you need best-in-class performance or are looking to get the most capacity for your investment, MSA has a fast, affordable solution for you. And every MSA comes with an intuitive setup and management interface anyone can master.

HPE StorageWorks MSA was previously known as HP StorageWorks MSA.

HPE StorageWorks MSA Customers
Femsa CSC, TTX, Rabobank

HPE StorageWorks MSA Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE StorageWorks MSA pricing:
  • "This solution involves a one-time CapEx payment, followed by warranty extensions."
  • "The price of the solution is a little high and they should provide more competitive pricing. If you want to increases the storage size there are additional fees."
  • HPE StorageWorks MSA Reviews

Manager of Customer Services with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to deploy and manage with good monitoring capabilities
    • "The product is very easy to deploy."
    • "It would be ideal if there was a better management interface."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for our CCTV cameras and systems.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect, for our organization, is its stability.

The product is very easy to deploy.

We've found that the solution overall offers very simple management capabilities.

The monitoring capabilities of the product are very good.

The integration capacity is excellent. We were able to easily integrate the solution with both Microsoft and Linux operating systems.

What needs improvement?

We are only really using the solution for CCTV purposes. It's very basic. We don't need a lot of bells and whistles. Therefore, for our purposes, we aren't really finding anything that is lacking.

It would be ideal if there was a better management interface. The solution should allow for integration with Java.

We've been using the solution for about five years at this point. It's been a while.

Modular SAN (Storage Area Network)
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, NetApp, IBM and others in Modular SAN (Storage Area Network). Updated: November 2022.
    653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability of the product is excellent. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's reliable. It's been very good, performance-wise.

We've never tested that scalability. We've never tried to upgrade the service or expand it. Therefore, it wouldn't be possible to comment on its capabilities or our experiences.

We have different IP cameras. There are around 450. In terms of operators, we have just three.

We do plan to continue to use the solution, at least for the next two years or so.

We haven't really contacted technical support too much. We had to reach out once for patching. They were very helpful and the process was very fast. We were satisfied with the level of service provided.

We did not previously use a different solution. This was our first implementation.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. It's very easy to deploy in general. It's not complex at all. A company shouldn't run into any problems during the process.

We were able to integrate it with different operating systems without a problem.

The entire implementation took about one day. It wasn't too long of a process.

I was able to manage the implementation myself. I did not need the assistance of integrators or consultants.

We don't pay monthly or yearly license fees.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution ten out of ten. It's a very good, simple entry-level storage system that allows for the separation of operations. We've been only using basic aspects of the solution, and only for CCTV, however, it has provided us with everything we've need and we are quite satisfied with its performance.

Asanka Karunanayake - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Hosting & LAN Services at Lanka Communication Services (Pvt) Ltd.
    Great Storage at very cost effective price
    • "The most valuable features are the storage levels and snapshot features."
    • "This product is getting a little bit older, so new features like deduplication are not included."

What is our primary use case?

We are using virtualization and we use this storage for hosting workloads. We have our own workloads, as well as some for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided much larger capacities to the existing virtualized environments. we have added 4 additional enclosures as well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the storage levels and snapshot features.

We also use some of the other common features like zoning control, IO metering, and input/output control.

What needs improvement?

This product is getting a little bit older, so new features like deduplication are not included. We would like to see the environment updated.

We have been using HPE StorageWorks MSA for more than five years.

This is a very stable product.

We have had hard drives fail, although stability was not an issue because RAID manages situations like this. We simply notify the vendor, they come in and replace it in the background, and the matter is solved.

The scalability is very good. This environment is part of our infrastructure. We are an internet service provider (ISP), so we have our own infrastructure hosted. This includes our link monitoring systems and the authentication service center. We also host a large number of customer workloads on virtual machines, which are all running on this system.

The local HPE support has always been good.

We currently have storage arrays by both HPE and Dell. The product from Dell is the PowerVault system.

We will be purchasing an all-flash array, as well. The requirement is due to the high demand for our customers' environments that are using heavy IO.

The initial setup is straightforward and the deployment is very quick.

We deployed it ourselves, and we had a little bit of support from the vendor. It was not complex because our environment was simple, so we configured it. When we had a doubt about something, we contacted the vendor, but otherwise completed it on our own.

HPE was the initial product that we evaluated. We were content with it, so we went straight to implementing it.

What other advice do I have?

So far, our experience with this product has been great. We've had a small number of issues such as a hard disk failure, but that is manageable with RAID so it has not been a problem. This is a product that I recommend for others.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Modular SAN (Storage Area Network)
    November 2022
    653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Technical Account Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Easy to use, user-friendly interface, and responsive support
    • "The solution is very easy to use, it is not really complex for any user, such as non-technical individuals."
    • "The solution could improve by adding configuration tools."

What is our primary use case?

We use HPE StorageWorks MSA as our central storage for our VMware clusters.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use, it is not really complex for any user, such as non-technical individuals. We have found it simple to guide our customers when needed. The interface is user-friendly and it is not difficult to configure.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by adding configuration tools.

I have been using HPE StorageWorks MSA for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable.

I have found the solution to be scalable.

We have approximately 20 customers using this solution.

The support engineers are knowledgeable and resposive.

The installation is straightforward. The time of the installation depends on the environment. However, it typically takes less than one hour.

We use three HPE engineers that do the implementation of the solution.

The price of the solution is a little high and they should provide more competitive pricing. If you want to increases the storage size there are additional fees.

What other advice do I have?

This is an entry-level storage system and I would recommend it to others.

I rate HPE StorageWorks MSA an eight out of ten.

Download our free Modular SAN (Storage Area Network) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, NetApp, IBM, and more!
    Updated: November 2022