IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

HPE ProCurve OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HPE ProCurve is #4 ranked solution in top LAN Switching tools. PeerSpot users give HPE ProCurve an average rating of 10 out of 10. HPE ProCurve is most commonly compared to Cisco Catalyst Switches: HPE ProCurve vs Cisco Catalyst Switches. HPE ProCurve is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 51% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 30% of all views.

Download the LAN Switching Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is HPE ProCurve?
HP Networking (HP ProCurve) products enable a cost-effective network that's agile, flexible, and fully interoperable. Boost availability, performance, monitoring, and productivity with HP network software, services, and support.

HPE ProCurve was previously known as ProCurve, HP ProCurve.

HPE ProCurve Customers
Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, Cardinal Newman Catholic Secondary School, DY 4 Systems, EdgeWing, Edmonton Public Schools District, Halton Catholic District School Board, Hartwick College, Hatch Associates, Huntingdon College, Roseville Joint Union High School District, Saddleback Valley Unified School District, One Superior Place
HPE ProCurve Video

Archived HPE ProCurve Reviews (more than two years old)

Consultant at Marvels Information Technology
Reasonably priced, easy to configure, and good technical support
  • "The GUI makes it easy to configure, manage, and work with."
  • "Our customers are focused on features and generally, they would like to have a more feature-rich solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use this switch as part of our network infrastructure and we also implement it for our clients.

What is most valuable?

This is a very durable product and the pricing is reasonable. The GUI makes it easy to configure, manage, and work with.

What needs improvement?

Our customers are focused on features and generally, they would like to have a more feature-rich solution. Better performance and more speed would be an improvement.

I have been working with HPE ProCurve for at least six or seven years.
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Cisco, Dell Technologies and others in LAN Switching. Updated: June 2022.
608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.

HPE ProCurve is a stable solution.

The scalability depends on how the environment is designed and which modules are installed. Our clients vary in size from small businesses to large government.

When I first started, I needed a lot of support and I found them to be excellent. Overall, I am very satisfied with it.

This solution is easy to install and configure.

HPE ProCurve products are reasonably priced.

There are similar products by other vendors and they are all priced similarly.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution and I recommend it to our customers. Of course, some of them are locked into certain vendors, such as Cisco. When we introduce it to new customers using a PoC, they see that it is stable, easy to manage, and easy to use. It has worked well for us. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Telecom Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Usability, manageability, price, and the warranty are good

What is our primary use case?

We were in the hospital IT sector.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the price and the warranty.

The usability and manageability are good.

What needs improvement?

These switches can be made more stable and robust.

I have been working with HPE ProCurve for two or three years and my company has perhaps ten years of experience with this solution.

There are some incompatibilities with other products, which take away from stability.

We have had no issues or complaints about scalability.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The price of this product is cheap.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend.

June 2022
608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Stable, easy to set up, and the technical support is good
  • "This is a very reliable solution."
  • "I would like to see some kind of packet tracer where people can study how the switch is operating."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the healthcare industry. Most of our switches are modular because we need a lot of ports in one location.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is reliability.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved.

White box switching support is something that I would like to see in the future.

I have been working with HPE ProCurve for at least 17 years.

This is a very reliable solution. In the 17 years that I have been using this product, I have had two power supply failures. However, these did not result in downtime because each switch has at least two power supplies. I was never left without the switch working due to a hardware failure.

We have more than 1,000 users in total but on a daily basis, there are 600 to 700 users in two locations.

The technical support from HP is very good. The last time I had a question, not a repair, but just a question of any kind was perhaps 10 years ago. I normally have a good recovery plan in advance of making any changes, which means that I don't have to bother the HP help desk with frivolous questions.

Prior to this solution, I was working with Cisco switches, which we still have a lot of. We have physical network layers and for some purposes, the Cisco switches are very good. My preference, however, is ProCurve.

I have experience with switches from Dell. They lack some features but they are much cheaper than HPE.

I find the initial setup to be easy and straightforward.

I perform the implementation, deployment, and maintenance. If I need to clear up the fiber channel, a transceiver, or something else, then I do it myself. If we need to connect and patch one of the switches then I just configure a port, send an email, and the local staff can do the patching.

This is an expensive switch.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to plan well. Most of the reason for error is poor planning. Be sure to ask your vendor questions because there are no dumb questions. Rather, silly mistakes happen when people implement without a full understanding.

This is a good product but there is always room for improvement in these kinds of devices.

Jerome Bodri - PeerSpot reviewer
Infrastructure Manager at Sigerly
Stable and scalable with a good user interface.
  • "The user interface is the most valuable aspect of the solution for us."
  • "The solution should offer different gigabit interfaces. Right now, they have ten gigabits. However, for our needs, we only need one gigabit. We don't need 24 or 48 ports. We only need eight to ten. HPE should introduce into their portfolio some smaller and more compact options."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as more access for users and as more access for layer switches.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is the most valuable aspect of the solution for us.

The equipment, overall, works quite well.

What needs improvement?

The solution should offer integration with other tools.

The solution should offer the same user interface for all of their equipment.

I've been using the solution for ten years. It's been quite a long time.

The stability of the solution is very good. There are no bugs or glitches that we have seen. We haven't faced any crashes.

The scalability of the solution is quite good. Companies shouldn't have trouble scaling if they need to.

We haven't faced any issues with the product so we haven't had any reason to contact technical support.

We didn't have any problems setting up the solution. We found it to be quite straightforward. It wasn't complex.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution to others. It's worked quite well for us. I'd rate it nine out of ten.

ERP / ICT Manager at N.S.C.S. bvba
Reseller
A convenient interface that is easy to use, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for switching. We also use it for an iSCSI device to support storage and networking.

What is most valuable?

The web page interface is very convenient and easy to use for setting up your feedback loops.

What needs improvement?

The dashboards could be improved and made more interesting.

I have been using HPE ProCurve for more than ten years.

This solution is very stable, we have not experienced any issues.

This solution is scalable.

On average, we have twenty users and two administrators. We have a very small team.

I had contacted technical support at one time when my firmware update was not going very well. They were able to fix it.

The initial setup was rather straightforward.

The length of time it takes to deploy depends on your architecture, and what you want to set up, but normally it takes a couple of days to set it all up.

Maintenance requirments are only a couple of hours per month.

We had the help of our team to implement the solution.

The purchasing cost a few years ago for two units was approx €5,000.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is good and it's solid. It does its job.

I would recommend this solution because it's affordable, scalable, and it is everything you need.

IT Customer Support Specialist at AM-BITS LLC
Simple to use with good service at a good price

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and we periodically sell web fabric to our customers. This is one of the solutions that we provide.

This solution is normally implemented with rack mount servers and other equipment such as HPE StoreOnce.

What is most valuable?

The best features of HPE ProCurve are the price and the service.

The user interface is simple to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see integration with HPE OneView. OneView is the management software for some switches and storage, and it would be helpful if ProCurve could be managed using this tool.

I have been familiar with HPE ProCurve for about two years.

At times, I have contact with technical support. I would say that they are very good.

The initial setup is complex. It takes several days to deploy.

The cost of HPE ProCurve is good.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and one that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

LuisPinto - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator with 51-200 employees
Easily configurable and is easy to create each connection and configuration
  • "ProCurve is easy to configure and to know how to create each connection and configuration."
  • "Procurve would work better if it had more options like the web environment."

What is our primary use case?

Normally, I use it for the core environment and the solution switches. I have these two environments, the core, and the switches. Sometimes they have other or alternative environments. It's a solution environment for the back office. That's how I use it.

What is most valuable?

In terms of valuable features, I like its ability to configure. I know the other models like Cisco, and I think that HPE's ProCurve are easy to configure and to know how to create each connection and configuration.

What needs improvement?

I don't have any problem at all with HPE ProCurve. I have a lot of experience with it, and I know that HP normally changes its equipment and technology. Maybe it would work better with HP if I only had one type of equipment since they have ProCurve, Aruba, and OfficeConnect. Every team is different. Our office is a different population. I know that ProCurve is really equal to Aruba, but there isn't any other equipment that HP has.

It would be good if the switch was bigger and faster, like with the ports.

I have been using HPE ProCurve for 20 years, since it went on the market.

In terms of stability, when I see an issue happening, HP takes care of the bugs. They have very fast tools to deal with the issues. The technical support from HP is really fast to resolve the problem.

Same with IT issues. We see the number of problems resolved with the new configuration.

ProCurve is scalable if the equipment is right for your environment. If you want to build a solution, they have the equipment for it. But I think more people are using HP Aruba switches than ProCurve. I believe that ProCurve will be replaced by the Aruba equipment because in the last year we haven't used the ProCurve switch as much but we have used Aruba. But I think it is a good tool, and we have some clients who are using ProCurve switches for many years and they are still working. They don't have any problems. I like ProCurve with the equipment.

The technical support from HP is very fast at resolving the problems, whether it's bugs or something like that.

Before using HPE ProCurve I was using Switchcom. I also normally use Aruba and OfficeConnect.

Setup is really simple. I think that the initial setup would be better if there were more questions, like with Cisco. When we started with Cisco equipment the first time, they asked many questions about the equipment. HP didn't have questions. I know that many people are on the web environment of the installation of this configuration.

When comparing Aruba and the ProCurve equipment, with Aruba, there is more community on the web, and with ProCurve, there is less. It doesn't matter because I use the free environment, mostly. It's rare that I use the Aruba environment since I use the free one. I see that many people only use the web environment with Aruba and that it offers more features. I think ProCurve would work better if it had more options like the web environment.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give HPE ProCurve an eight.

Thomas-Roes - PeerSpot reviewer
Self Employed at Switact
Stable, easy to implement, good technical support, and you can replace and update for its lifetime
  • "It has a lifetime warranty, that includes lifetime updates."
  • "If you make a change and you disconnect yourself from the switch, you will create an issue."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is as a switch and we are working on link aggregation switches at the moment.

What is most valuable?

The features that I like the most are the price, the feature sets, the no-nonsense warranty, and lifetime updates. This is the main benefit.

What needs improvement?

With Juniper, I like that they have an option to bundle a configuration change and commit it with the confirmed option. The switch will roll back if you don't confirm the change.

If you make a change and you disconnect yourself from the switch, you will create an issue. You just wait five or ten minutes for the switch to change back to the previous configuration. This is a nice feature that is offered with Juniper, which would improve the HPE ProCurve.

I have been using this solution for about 25 years.

We are using the latest version.

This solution is very stable.

The model that we are currently using is scalable enough for me.

I don't contact the technical support often. It was a long time ago when I was last in contact with technical support and it was very good.

While it has not been recent and they may have changed, when I used them, it was very professional. They were very nice and they solved the issue that I was having.

Also, they ship replacement parts or replacement products with no problem.

I work with several clients with several vendors, so I have experience with other solutions.

Most of the time our clients are using several vendors and we are trying to standardize to just one of them. HPE was used the most at that time.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

It takes less than a day to deploy this solution.

I completed the implementation by myself.

You buy the switch and that's it.

It has a lifetime warranty, that includes lifetime updates.

I have looked at different vendors. I looked at Cisco, which is the main competitor.

Based on the required features and price, HPE was the better option.

What other advice do I have?

If they are looking into implementing this solution, just go with it. It would be very wise.

I would recommend this product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

IT Network & Security Engineer at a mining and metals company with 501-1,000 employees
Scalable, easy to use, and offers a strong online community for support
  • "The LAN features give us exactly what we need."
  • "We do occasionally have issues with the solution and need to change out the switches sometimes. This can be due to the fan, but, in most cases, it's because the power supply was broken."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to deliver the network to the users. We typically use the bigger switches. The switches we are using are used to foster the backbone routing and route out the firewall and the servers.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use and offers good scalability.

There's a good community and good forums on the internet if you have issues. It makes it easy to find what you need.

The LAN features give us exactly what we need.

What needs improvement?

We do occasionally have issues with the solution and need to change out the switches sometimes. This can be due to the fan, but, in most cases, it's because the power supply was broken.

I've been using the solution for ten to 15 years.

The stability of the solution is fine.

The scalability of the solution is good. We have around 1,000 users on it. At this time, we don't have plans to increase usage.

We do not contact technical support directly. Instead, we contact our integrator for any extra support we might need.

We previously used Cisco. We still have some Cisco switches, but we're switching over to HP as most of our network is oriented around it. It's more simple for us to work with HP. The pricing is also much better. Cisco is more expensive.

The initial setup was easy. We didn't have any issues. Deployment took one to two weeks.

We implemented the solution with the assistance of an integrator. We were satisfied with the work they provided.

The solution is reasonably priced in comparison to other options, such as Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

We use the HP Procurve for the distribution switches. It's a 25-30 modem. We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. No solution is perfect. You still need to configure it a bit once you implement it. However, it's quite simple and very good to use.

Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Fast, inexpensive, and easy to manage
  • "The solution is fast and inexpensive."
  • "The solution doesn't have web-based management, which is why we've moved to a different solution."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to connect our network.

What is most valuable?

The solution is fast and inexpensive.

ProCurve is easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for eight years.

It is stable.

The solution is very scalable.

I never used HPE technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. You can deploy it within 15 minutes out of the box. You only need one person for deployment and maintenance.

I handled the implementation myself.

We did evaluate other options, including NETGEAR, before choosing the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We used the on-premises deployment model. We're resellers of the solution.

Currently, I use a different solution that offers web-based management so I can gain access from anywhere and don't have to be on-site to manage the solution; I've switched from HPE earlier this year.

I'd recommend the solution. It's good and easy to use.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

System Administrator at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Easy to manage and configure with good pricing
  • "It's easy to manage and configure. The configurations can be exported and imported to another solution."
  • "The only things that might need improvement would be the administrative tools and the graphical interface. The GUI could be improved on the administrative interface, for example."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a client switch, which supports the users, as a core switch of the whole network, and also as a service switch for only the servers and the environment.

What is most valuable?

The price is the solution's most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

I don't see any flaw in the product at this time. I'm a happy customer. The only things that might need improvement would be the administrative tools and the graphical interface. The GUI could be improved on the administrative interface, for example.

The speed could be higher, and more than 10 gigabits. We are in the process of buying large switches, and the higher the speed the better. It's that feature that involves a high cost, however. We find it challenging at the moment to find a low-cost solution.

I've been using the solution for 10-15 years.

The stability of the solution is good.

The scalability of the solution is good. We have about 70 users on the solution right now. We're a research center, so everyone has access to the tool. We use the solution 24/7.

We've never been in touch with technical support.

We did not previously use a different solution.

The complexity of the implementation depends on the setup. In our case, it was a bit complex. Deployment may take about four hours. I'm not sure exactly, as my colleague set up the solution.

We implemented the solution ourselves.

We don't need to pay for support for HPE. The only hidden costs are the man-hours involved in handling the solution.

He did evaluate Cisco many years ago, however it was too expensive to be viable.

What other advice do I have?

We use the latest version of the firmware, or operating system, on the switches. We try to keep them updated. We use the on-premises deployment model.

It's difficult to give any kind of advice on the solution. It depends on the situation, what the infrastructure is, how advanced, and complex, etc. In general, HPE has products that cover almost everyone's needs from basic, small networks to complex huge campus networks for universities or large organizations. They have a good product line. It just takes some knowledge and competence to maintain them.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

it_user680259 - PeerSpot reviewer
Security Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
It gives us consistency across every site.

What is most valuable?

It does what we want and it is reliable. We have installed hundreds, if not thousands, of these throughout many cities. The failure rate is around 0.001%.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us consistency across every site.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more technical troubleshooting information, better logs, and better timestamps. Certain broker switches, when they reboot, default back to 1990. You can only tell how long they have been active and have to figure out dates, by pretending it is 1990 and moving forward from there.

It has been very stable, except for the last couple years. We had more than one broker switch fail, which is rare.

For scalability, it's stackable. If we need more, we put them in, connect them, and add them to the stack.

I have used technical support. Most of the time, it was just for replacements. It was very rare that we get real technical assistance to configure what we have installed.

We were developing a new system for casinos and had to have the network to build upon. We already use HPE and Dell, but were not happy with them. We are not a Cisco house, so we got left with HPE because this is a from-scratch system for casinos.

When looking for a vendor, I look for reliability, price, and features that do what we want. It can be the best and cheapest thing that lasts forever, but we can't use it if it doesn’t have the right features. It has to do what we want.

I was involved in the initial install and have done it hundreds of times. It was straightforward.

We looked at HPE and Dell. At the time, Intersys started this, and Cisco was with it. But they weren't good choices, due to the rising and continuing licensing costs. We went with HPE because it did what we needed.

What other advice do I have?

First, you really need to think about what you want, as opposed to "just because." Then, find a solution that fits the criteria you need to make people just hop on the bandwagon. For us, HPE is the right solution. We considered Brocade, but now that they are being acquired, we're not sure if they are reliable. HPE has been stable.

it_user362025 - PeerSpot reviewer
Team Leader at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
They have one switch, with interval redundancy, power supplies, etc. that can be used as a core element within a network for providing flexible ports.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you have a very flexible product. You can mix the ports and set up based on your network needs.

It can even compensate for fractions of fans or power supplies, which can easily be exchanged, for example.

How has it helped my organization?

The main benefit there is that they have one switch, with interval redundancy, power supplies, etc. that can be used as a core element within a network for providing flexible ports.

What needs improvement?

It is not really extendable. You have no interlink features for using it as a core, as it was was intended for in the beginning.

We've been using it since 2005 when it was the 5300 series.

We've had no issues with stability.

It's scalable as long as you have three spots. If not, it's air-card solutions. In the meantime, there are other popular solutions in the portfolio that are more scalable.

We had no support contract in that area so I cannot weigh in on that point. But all the other services, warranties, exchanges, etc. all worked well.

We switched because it was the most flexible one on the market from a port-modular perspective. It was the only one at that time where you had redundant components in one chassis.

You can set up without fail if you're experienced with such systems.

What other advice do I have?

If there is a use case where this kind of switch is useful, I would say, yeah, go for it, use it. But with support contracts, and they are a good backbone, because these days, you need another layer of switching up in the higher level.

it_user362844 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Information at a government with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

It gives us the single-point visibility across the whole infrastructure that's quite important to us. The centralized management console allows us to integrate the output data from these switches into a centralized log management system. With it, we're able to understand configuration management and risk across a single architecture.

How has it helped my organization?

With a single point of visibility for the identification of risk, we don't have to stand up different infrastructures to manage a configuration across the estate. The benefits are very agnostic, but for us it's all about having the appropriate product in place to allow us to do that centralized formation rather than having to get different systems doing different things.

What needs improvement?

We'd like for it to provide logical separation at the switch, building security into the product. I've seen that their new technology does this, and that's what we're most interested in. Integration of NAC and other features of that nature to embed into the actual network would provide as a great return on investment. Again, it would give us that single-point visibility, single-configuration space that important for us.

We don't have any issues with deployment.

It's been fine from a stability standpoint, though we had some early teething issues, but that, I think, came down to our configuration. Beyond that, the architecture has always been fairly stable. Our inter-site linking could be better, which affects quality of service, but the actual ProCurve itself just keeps going.

We're looking to completely replace our environment with a newer version. We've added to our existing infrastructure but expanding it out physically. We're now looking at scaling it up and merging our infrastructure with other organizations. It's proving, currently, to be capable of doing that.

I haven't used technical support directly, but I haven't heard of any issues with it.

We had Alcatel, and then we brought in HP about 10 years ago. We just wanted, as I recall, a program refresh. We were just looking at what was the best fit for our organization, what was scalable, and what was cost effective. I believe that at the time Cisco was cost prohibitive. We went for the more affordable and balanced, scalable solutions, which we found with HP.

We're currently looking at HP and Cisco, and we'll be pushing a tender out for others to come on board as well, so it might not just be Cisco and HP. Certainly we're in the process of reviewing those two vendors.

it_user165018 - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Support Engineer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
The ability to backup the device configurations and track configuration changes are both valuable features.

What is most valuable?

Backup and CLI - being able to backup the device configurations within our enterprise software, our customers can track any changes made as we keep a history of all configuration changes. This is all done through "scripted" CLI interaction.

How has it helped my organization?

Allow configuration to saved - from our customer's point of view, I believe this allows our customers to track any changes. If they find a problem with a configuration, they can easily revert back to a point in time where they know a configuration was working.

We haven't had issues with deployment.

We haven't had issues with stability.

We haven't had issues with scalability.

Good, based upon available documentation online.

In-house.

it_user1020 - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of Data Center at a tech company with 51-200 employees
HP ProCurve 2510 and 2610 are excellent products. HP ProCurve products come with lifetime warranty, but please verify with re-seller as some products only come with limited warranty.

Valuable Features:

We first bought HP ProCurve 2510 and 2610 ethernet switches just to try the product line out. We liked it, and decided to go ProCurve all the way.What I really like about HP ProCurve is the lifetime warranty. I think no other manufacturer in the industry offers this kind of warranty and really means it. I just had two HP ProCurve switches replaced about a week ago and the replacements arrived today. These switches were more than three (3) years old and yet HP still replaced them. Apart from the lifetime warranty, HP ProCurve switches have a very intuitive menu-based interface. I use it more than the web-based interface as it gives me more options and I get the job done faster. They also adopt open standards and configuring them for VLANs with other networking products just works.

Room for Improvement:

The only thing that I can find wrong with the product is the web interface. Compared to Linksys, the web interface just lacks the usability that other brands offer. I don't like command line a lot that is why I go for web management. Cost-wise, they are quite expensive to say LInksys before. Even with Cisco acquiring LInksys, ProCurve still costs more than double. However, the lifetime warranty really works, and the added cost will go a long way in ensuring future support and product replacement.Despite its cons, I would still recommend HP ProCurve switches. Even if it costs more than products with the same specifications and performance, the added cost comes with lifetime warranty. If this is important to you, this is the right product.

Other Advice:

Just one thing though. Since HP acquired H3C, there are some products which are not qualified for lifetime warranty. My contacts told me that these are H3C products and does not manufactured by HP hence the limited warranty. Just make sure to verify product warranty before purchasing to be sure.
Download our free LAN Switching Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Cisco, Dell Technologies, and more!
Updated: June 2022