IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Hortonworks Data Platform OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Hortonworks Data Platform is #4 ranked solution in top Hadoop tools. PeerSpot users give Hortonworks Data Platform an average rating of 8 out of 10. Hortonworks Data Platform is most commonly compared to Amazon EMR: Hortonworks Data Platform vs Amazon EMR. Hortonworks Data Platform is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a government, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Hadoop Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Hortonworks Data Platform?
Hortonworks is a leading innovator in the industry, creating, distributing and supporting enterprise-ready open data platforms and modern data applications. Our mission is to manage the world's data. We have a single-minded focus on driving innovation in open source communities such as Apache Hadoop, NiFi, and Spark. We along with our 1600+ partners provide the expertise, training and services that allow our customers to unlock transformational value for their organizations across any line of business. Our connected data platforms powers modern data applications that deliver actionable intelligence from all data: data-in-motion and data-at-rest. We are Powering the Future of Data.

Hortonworks Data Platform was previously known as Hortonworks, HDP.

Hortonworks Data Platform Customers
Mayo Clinic, Symantec, Progressive Insurance, Noble Energy, Cardinal Health, Rogers, Mercy, Neustar, TRUECar, T-Mobile
Hortonworks Data Platform Video

Hortonworks Data Platform Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Hortonworks Data Platform pricing:
"It is priced well and it is affordable"

Hortonworks Data Platform Reviews

Data Science and Data Engineering Leader | Senior Principal Data Scientist at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
A modeling and analysis data platform that is inexpensive and stable
  • "The scalability is the key reason why we are on this platform."
  • "Hortonworks should not be expensive at all to those looking into using it."
  • "The version control of the software is also an issue."

What is our primary use case?

We use Hortonworks as a storage platform and then we create machine learning models and do the execution using Cloudera Data Science Workbench. (Cloudera and Hortonworks merged in January of 2019.)

What is most valuable?

The most valuable part of this product is what Cloudera Data Science Workbench can do as a whole for modeling and analysis.

What needs improvement?

We are happy with the platform but we are also looking at what else is out there. We are comparing what other teams are using in our company to the solution we have adopted.  The main difference, and what seems better with other tools, is the deployment. That part is not entirely clear to us. We can create models, but once we create the models we are not sure as to how to deploy them.   The version control of the software is also an issue.   Maybe these improvements are already included in the newest release but we are not aware of it because nobody on our team has had the opportunity to try it. I do not know how well this product is supported.

We have been using Hortonworks Data Platform for almost a year.
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Cloudera, IBM, Amazon and others in Hadoop. Updated: June 2022.
610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We do not maintain it in our department. We just use it. It has been mostly available other than when they had to upgrade. The IT department did run into some upgrade issues. But as users, it has been stable for us.

We expect to have a lot more data. The scalability is the key reason why we are on this platform.

My IT team is the user group when it comes to installation and setup. They are the ones who do the product installation and management.

I think it is priced well and it is affordable. Hadoop, which we use with the solution, is open-source. That part is free. We pay only for whatever wrappers Cloudera provides on top of the open-source product, Hadoop. I do not know about the actual pricing in total. The whole point of Hadoop is that it is open-source and they have created their own cluster. Cloudera is just the vendor that they are using.   My guess is Hortonworks should not be expensive at all to those looking into using it.

What other advice do I have?

It is important to note that the IT team has to support the product. We are not the IT team so if we have to scale it, someone has to be able to do that administrative job of adding another server and managing the distribution of the data across all the servers. To work with this, you need to have that skill set within the IT department.   On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Hortonworks Data Platform as an eight or nine out-of-ten. It is meeting a need.
Prashant  Singh - PeerSpot reviewer
Vice President -Product Management at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good technology with an easy setup but is at end of life
  • "The product offers a fairly easy setup process."
  • "It's at end of life and no longer will there be improvements."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data storage and processing.

What is most valuable?

It is one of the better technology in terms of Hadoop.

The product offers a fairly easy setup process.

It is quite stable.

The scalability is good.

What needs improvement?

We'd like the solution to be easier.

There used to be a free version on offer. Now, everything is paid.

It's not quite as easy to install as EMR.

It's at end of life and no longer will there be improvements.

I've been using the solution for more than two years.

The solution for the most part has been stable. There aren't issues with bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. it's reliable.

The product is scalable. It's not a problem if you would like to expand it.

Now, the customer support is Cloudera. We are in discussions about migrating it to Cloudera. As we are still in the discussion phase, we have yet to work with technical support.

We need to upgrade and are considering Cloudera. It also used to be free, and now that we have to pay for this product, we are looking to move off of it and onto potentially Cloudera.

The solution is fairly simple to set up. It's not too complex or difficult. If you know the solution, it's easy. However, there is a learning curve. If you don't know anything about it, it can be more complex.

You can typically deploy it within a week. We have five or six people capable of handling a deployment.

We have our own team that is capable of handling deployments. We did not need to have an integrator or consultant come in.

The solution used to have a free tier. They have since taken that away, which is disappointing.

We are constantly evaluating other options. We're always curious to see what could help our business. Currently, we've looked into EMR and Cloudera.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and end-user.

We are not using the latest version. We have to upgrade it too, which that's why we are looking at Cloudera now.

Hortonworks is at end of life. They are not adding new things to this, so everything will be Cloudera now.

I'd rate it seven out of ten.

June 2022
610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Wallace Hugh - PeerSpot reviewer
VP of Data and Analytics at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A seamless solution with a solid workflow

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the hospitality industry.

What is most valuable?

The data platform is pretty neat. The workflow is also really good.

What needs improvement?

The NiFi platform could be enhanced. This refers to the data ingestion in a workflow.

It would also be nice if there was less coding involved.

I have been using this solution for six years.

The technical support is okay, but not excellent. They can take a while to respond.

What other advice do I have?

If you wish to use this solution, make sure you compare it with some other solutions first to make sure it's right for your needs.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

Download our free Hadoop Report and find out what your peers are saying about Cloudera, IBM, Amazon, and more!
Updated: June 2022