IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Dundas BI OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dundas BI is #4 ranked solution in top Embedded BI Tools and #7 ranked solution in top Data Visualization tools. PeerSpot users give Dundas BI an average rating of 10.0 out of 10. Dundas BI is most commonly compared to Tableau: Dundas BI vs Tableau. Dundas BI is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.

Download the Data Visualization Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Dundas BI?

Dundas BI is a powerful, flexible, end-to-end business intelligence platform that simplifies the entire analytics process and empowers its users to analyze and visualize data. The solution enables organizations to create and view interactive dashboards, reports, scorecards, and more. Dundas BI can be integrated into an existing website as part of a custom BI solution or it can be deployed as the central data portal for your organization. The solution is suitable for mid-to-large sized companies.

Dundas BI Features

Dundas BI has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Mobile responsive dashboards
  • Smart data display
  • Calendar support for retail and manufacturing
  • Data connectivity
  • Show/hide interaction
  • Batching data builds
  • Enhanced development workflow
  • Navigation support
  • Data regulation support
  • Optimized application performance
  • Instant application portability with docker
  • Easy SaaS support with Kubernetes
  • Natural language user input
  • Enhanced application security
  • Scheduled reports with multiple export options
  • Fully open APIs

Dundas BI Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing Dundas BI. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Limitless customization: You can fully customize the Dundas BI platform, including its dashboards, data visualizations, interactions, scorecards, labels, etc. to meet your organization’s unique design requirements.
  • Effectively visualize and analyze data: The solution provides interactive data views that help you create pixel-perfect dashboards and reports that have interactive data visualizations so you can elevate your users’ abilities to effectively communicate data insights and drive faster decision-making.
  • Greater efficiency: Dundas BI can consolidate and store data from any source, providing seamless data delivery and a consistent user experience, which leads to greater efficiency. By having all your business intelligence, reporting, and data analytics needs in one single platform, you also save your organization a lot of time and effort.
  • Tailored data discovery process: Dundas BI adapts to all user types, allowing everyone to personalize it to suit their own needs and requirements, which helps users, data analysts, and developers to analyze their data quickly. The solution’s data discovery process also allows you to run ad-hoc queries, perform visual data analytics, and quickly create relevant and actionable content.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by PeerSpot users currently using the Dundas BI solution.

A Business Intelligence Consultant at Siemens Industry says, “The flexibility of the dashboard designer is great. You can control every single pixel and no matter what the user asks for we can deliver. It has a lot of out-of-the-box options that you can use to customize your dashboard. There is also the option to use their JavaScript API, however, in 99% of the cases, the built-in options are more than enough. I also love the control you have on what queries Dundas BI is generating against our databases. This allows us to create really fast dashboards even when running against millions of records.”

James D., System Architect at Yulista, LLC mentions that the most valuable aspect of the solution is its “ability to warehouse query results. This is good because you do not have to have a data warehouse, you let Dundas warehouse the results of a query that runs long during off hours.”

Another reviewer shares, “The built-in ETL functionality has allowed us to combine data sources without the need for a full SSIS package. This saves time and allows for a quicker time to market.”

Dundas BI Customers

Coca Cola, Siemens, Verizon, Microsoft, Pitney Bowes, Scotiabank, Pepperidge Farm, Shutterstock, Norwegian Government, Boeing, Guess Inc., BP, Bayer

Dundas BI Video

Dundas BI Reviews

Business Intelligence Consultant at Siemens Industry
Flexible licensing, great reporting, and helpful support
  • "We have now the ability to create interactive and complex reports without the need for software developers and code."
  • "I cannot select a visualization and see what filters are connected to it."

What is our primary use case?

We host Dundas BI on Linux in AWS and connect it to our SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Snowflake, and SingleStore databases.

We use it embedded into our own platform. Our platform allows us to embed Dundas BI dashboards and we can connect our own system with the user and access management of Dundas BI.

Our platform also has its own filters that we then connect to the Dundas BI filters to create a seamless integration. We white-label Dundas BI so the user does not see a difference between our platform and Dundas BI. We analyze all kinds of data from sales to supply chain, finance, marketing, HR, and more.

How has it helped my organization?

We have now the ability to create interactive and complex reports without the need for software developers and code. We can create these reports very quickly. Our users are happy because we use the flexibility of Dundas to provide highly customized and targeted solutions that give justice to the many different use cases we need to cover. The great licensing model and the floating users allow us to serve a great number of users while being able to accommodate for usage spikes (e.g. financial reports at the end of the month).

What is most valuable?

There is also the option to use their JavaScript API, however, in 99% of the cases, the built-in options are more than enough.

I also love the control you have on what queries Dundas BI is generating against our databases. This allows us to create really fast dashboards even when running against millions of records.

What needs improvement?

Dundas BI really has all the features that we need to get the job done. Where it doesn't, we can still use the APIs they offer to get there.

There are some minor things that would make the tool easier and faster to use, however, over the last couple of releases, a lot of those have already been realized. One example for this would be that I can select a filter to see what visualizations are bound to it yet I cannot select a visualization and see what filters are connected to it. This is not preventing me from creating what I need. Still, it would make it more convenient.

Data Visualization
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Dundas, Tableau, Elastic and others in Data Visualization. Updated: July 2022.
621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used the solution for more than five years.

It does run stable for us in most cases.

We had some issues with excessive RAM consumption, however, the support team showed us how we can limit the data size a user can request from the database. Since then, the system runs stable.

We have thousands of users accessing the Dundas BI dashboards. It does scale quite well.

Customer service and support are great. Their support responds fast and is very knowledgeable. Issues get escalated quickly and you don't spend weeks being sent from one person to another.

They have a customer success program that meets with us on a monthly basis to ensure everything is running smoothly on our end. We have a great relationship with them.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We were using Dundas Dashboard before which is a product by the same company. We switched to Dundas BI because it is the more modern and superior product.

The setup is fairly straightforward. We have migrated Dundas BI since then several times from Windows to Linux and within a different version of Linux. Every time it has worked with only small and expected issues that we were able to work through either on our own or with the help of the Dundas BI Support team.

We are doing all of our implementations in-house.

We charge our users a monthly fee for running their reports in our platform. Without dropping numbers I can say that our ROI is quite sufficient.

The licensing model is fair and quite flexible. The same is true with the setup. You can run it on-premise or in the cloud and on Windows and Linux. We switched from Windows to Linux and were happy with both systems.

There were no other options evaluated at the time as we were already very happy with the older Dundas product. We have since evaluated other tools such as Tableau and Power BI, however, our tool of choice is still Dundas BI.

What other advice do I have?

They are a great team to work with. If you have any questions, the best thing is to reach out and get in contact with them.

James Davis - PeerSpot reviewer
System Architect at Yulista, LLC
Made it easier to see crucial data that was normally buried in an Excel file

What is our primary use case?

Data Visualizations to streamline reporting. It is on a Windows Server in Azure. The dashboards are embedded into SharePoint using the Dundas SharePoint component.

How has it helped my organization?

Made it easier to see crucial data that was normally buried in an Excel file, and faster to find issues before they become problems.

What is most valuable?

The ability to warehouse query results. This is good because you do not have to have a data warehouse, you let Dundas warehouse the results of a query that runs long during off hours.

What needs improvement?

The API they have can do just about anything, but their documentation on the API and examples are only for some of the basics. They need to and are working on filling in those gaps. It is understandable that they have not yet documented everything that you can do with the API because there is a lot you can do with it.

As long as the Windows Server is up and has no IIS issues, then this product just works.

My organization is small, but it should just be a matter of how powerful the server is that you run it on.

They are all great. I have had nothing but the highest respect for Dundas support.

I have not used anything like this for more than a trial period. It was at this company when I got here. I would not switch at this point (and I've been asked if we should). The others cost way more, and I do not gain much for the cost.

I have had to set up our development server after starting at this company. It was very easy to set up, the hardest part for me was getting all the passwords to the various accounts needed when setting it up.

In-house.

There's a free trial that is long enough to give it a good workout. Also, they will help you get that free trial up and running. It's very easy to get it going and start working in it. They have some good guides and even a course you can take (for free).

Dundas was at the company when I got hired, I have looked at the features of others and their cost, and there is nothing they offer that is worth the cost increase.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try, download the trial. I can tell you that you will love it, but you can really only decide that for yourself, so go try it.

Data Visualization
July 2022
621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise business intelligence. We use this tool to provide dashboards to business users and enhanced searching dashboards built into SharePoint.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to move users away from using Excel to collect and alter data, to add in the extra data points needed to the source and build dashboards that everyone can use in real-time.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

One feature I would like to see added is funnel charts. Dundas has the ability to modify a bar chart to mimic a funnel, or to ingest 3rd part visuals.  But both feel a little clunky to use.  An out of the box funnel chart would be preferred.

Some native functionality to 'write back' to a specific field in a database would be a welcome change as well.  Dundas has the ability to create a form using text boxes that can be used as variables in a stored procedure for writing back to a SQL backend. This works, but our users have not liked the experience.  What our users prefer is a grid of data with the cells being editable, allowing them to update data from within the grid.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

Dundas BI is very scalable.

Support is amazing. Response times are low, and they are always willing to help.

We tried to use Power BI, but it did not have the flexibility that we needed.

Setup is very easy. A wizard is provided to walk you through the process.

We did the implementation all in-house.

Have an idea of what you want end users to be able to accomplish; this will help drive the discussion when the time comes to look at licensing.

What other advice do I have?

Set up a trial and build out a dashboard that you currently need. Out of the box, Dundas BI does almost everything needed for an intuitive dashboard, and anything else can be scripted. Their support is top notch and always willing to help.