IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Dell Storage Resource Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell Storage Resource Manager is #4 ranked solution in top Storage Management tools. PeerSpot users give Dell Storage Resource Manager an average rating of 8 out of 10. Dell Storage Resource Manager is most commonly compared to NetApp OnCommand: Dell Storage Resource Manager vs NetApp OnCommand. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is Dell Storage Resource Manager?

ViPR SRM is a software solution that provides multi-vendor capacity, performance, and configuration dashboards and reports for traditional and software-defined storage resources.

Dell Storage Resource Manager was previously known as Dell EMC SRM, Dell EMC ViPR SRM, ViPR SRM, EMC ControlCenter, ECC, EMC ProSphere.

Download the Storage Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2022

Dell Storage Resource Manager Customers

HNTB Corporation

Dell Storage Resource Manager Video

Archived Dell Storage Resource Manager Reviews (more than two years old)

Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
EMC ViPR SRM vs. NetApp OnCommand Insight vs. EMC Control Center

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of either of the SRM tools, were the reporting and real-time ability to show management that additional storage was required or in regards to who was using what storage and bandwidth.

All the attributes of the tool had real importance, when you needed time to create some reports for the management and to email those reports on a regular basis.

What needs improvement?

By the time they rolled out its predecessor SMC and Unisphere, the old ECC was trying to do too much within a large enterprise environment.

We were unhappy as no one from EMC heard our plea for assistance and it became expensive in terms of the license and the amount of resources it took.

Simply put, in the past the vendor support model was not broad enough to ensure every aspect of the ECC product worked efficiently.

After a few years of waiting for EMC to apply the fixes we wanted they were finally all addressed.

The stability of the products was very similar as well.

The scalability of both the products was pretty even.

The technical support was very good for both the NetApp OCI and the EMC ViPR.

It is at this time that we switched to NetApp's OCI. It was somewhat reasonably priced and easy to install with VMs, instead of all the physical hosts that EMC wanted at that time.

We were somewhat happy with OCI and it was less costly.

The ease of installation looked to be the same.

The price was also about the same.

Then I changed companies and we started looking at EMC's ViPR SRM. Upon examination, it looked very much under the covers like the NetApp OCI solution.

What other advice do I have?

I am now with yet another company and they have purchased EMC ViPR SRM. I think I will be happy with it, provided that EMC listens to its customers and fixes issues, as it has grown-up.

Early on in history, the EMC Control Center was a very powerful tool and had many robust parts/pieces to it.

it_user610434 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Infrstructure Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It can manage multiple storage arrays under one console. We always had to ensure that the agents were running on the servers all the time.

What is most valuable?

Managing multiple storage arrays under one console was a valuable feature of this product.

How has it helped my organization?

It made life easy by allowing us to manage multiple storage arrays under one console.

What needs improvement?

It needed improvement with its stability. Also, since it was agent-based communication, we always had to ensure that the agents were running on the servers all the time.

I used this product for around three years.

We had limited the usage to only managing the storage arrays, although we had switches discovered under it and were using the StorageScope application for capacity reporting.

The technical support was good.

We only used ECC until I left that particular organization.

I wasn't involved in the setup.

What other advice do I have?

To be frank, I believe there are many other applications that allow us to manage the array, along with in-depth analysis. Even EMC has developed better products than ECC.

Storage Management
April 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, NetApp, SolarWinds and others in Storage Management. Updated: April 2022.
597,291 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Storage Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Provides centralized administration. Manages the SAN environment. I would like to see third-party storage management.

What is most valuable?

• Centralized administration
  • Management of SAN environment in the organization

How has it helped my organization?

• Ease of administration
  • Fits in well with all the EMC SAN storage

What needs improvement?

I would like to see third-party storage management.

We have been using this solution for five years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

The installation was pretty straightforward.

It boils down to how you negotiate with the vendor.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it if your organization is EMC-centric storage.

Gianfranco Lanza - PeerSpot reviewer
Responsabile Data Management DC Area Nord Ovest at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Storage monitoring tool that alerts us to failures. I would like to see an easier use of agents.

What is most valuable?

The alerting feature is valuable because it completes the gap of storage monitoring. Often the storage comes with a tele-diagnostic service. For security purposes, it’s very important for us to be aware of every single failure in order to be more proactive and not only reactive.

How has it helped my organization?

We use the SNMP gateway to aggregate hardware and performance events.

What needs improvement?

The use of agents is not easy. The architectural design of using every single agent for every type of storage can be reviewed with the use of general proxies.

The general proxies also discover other vendors’ storage. This can be done with custom made scripts.

We have been using this solution for five years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

There were some scalability issues because we needed several agent servers.

The installation was complex because we had to setup multiple servers.

We evaluated these solutions:

• NetApp OnCommand Insight
  • HPE
  • IBM Productivity Suite

What other advice do I have?

It’s very important to plan the correct setup of agent servers.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Mainly customer with some partnerships with our customer proposals.
Download our free Storage Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, NetApp, SolarWinds, and more!
Updated: April 2022