We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Owner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A network administration product that is easy to use, but migration could be better
  • "I like that Cisco ISE is easy to use."
  • "Migration could be better. Right now, we back up with the new version, and it requires a lot of licensing and other things. Whenever we choose a product, it's very difficult because we have to meet the requirements of each feature. There is no standard feature, so the best system that we bought may not fit the solution. We have to look at every feature that the customer uses. If you compare it with other products like Aruba, it's not the same. With Cisco, I have to read all about the features on this version and the licensing required for the product. In Aruba, that thing is covered when you get one license because it covers almost everything. It could also be more scalable."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco ISE to develop products for other people. We don't really use it in our system. We just buy it and implement it when our customers require ISE.

What is most valuable?

I like that Cisco ISE is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Migration could be better. Right now, we back up with the new version, and it requires a lot of licensing and other things. Whenever we choose a product, it's very difficult because we have to meet the requirements of each feature. There is no standard feature, so the best system that we bought may not fit the solution.

We have to look at every feature that the customer uses. If you compare it with other products like Aruba, it's not the same. With Cisco, I have to read all about the features on this version and the licensing required for the product. In Aruba, that thing is covered when you get one license because it covers almost everything. It could also be more scalable.

We have been using Cisco ISE for 20 to 30 years.

It could be more scalable. It's easy to scale initially, but it will become very difficult at a certain point. In the beginning, it's in the previous environment, and it's pretty easy. But after we integrate it, we need to do a couple more to scale the product, which is more difficult.

We have less than 300 people using it worldwide. We deal with an airline company, so people who come to use it aren't many, but it's available to everyone from everywhere around the world.

We deal with a local Cisco partner for technical support. I haven't dealt with Cisco directly in Bangkok.

I think Cisco takes around six months to complete the migration from the old one to the new one. This is because we have compliance and a lot of other things here.

Our in-house team implements this solution. It takes about three people to maintain this solution.

It costs around 50,000 baht in the first year, but I'm unsure about the second year.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco ISE a seven.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
Networks Lead Engineer at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable performance with good network control and great integration capabilities
  • "There is good integration with third-party systems like antivirus patch management, MDM."
  • "The pricing and licensing structure are not ideal for customers."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in our infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

I'm very satisfied with the product. It has been excellent so far.

From the performance perspective, it is excellent. The outcome is as expected, giving control to the network.

What needs improvement?

They need to simplify the processes and management more, as well as the platform. Their user experience is a bit complicated, and it's not easy to manage. They need to do something to enhance the management console and make it more simple and easier to use.

I need to see stronger integration with Cisco SDN. Instead of treating it as a separate appliance, it should be a built-in feature in the SDN solution. This is one of the things that will reduce the complexity of Cisco's architecture. Instead of having multiple appliances, and getting lost in-between, and not knowing where is the problem is, everything can just be in one place. It will be better to move this feature or this technology as a built-in technology in the SDN solutions, similar to DNA and ACI.

The pricing and licensing structure are not ideal for customers.

I've used this solution for about five years, both in my previous company and my current company as well.

The solution provides excellent stability and reliability. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We are a customer and an end-user.

Cisco, on the price, is not good now. This might entice customers or end-users to go for another cheaper solution where they can still find most of the features Cisco offers.

They are now offering subscription licenses, and you have to pay thousands of dollars every year for maintenance and renewing support. Most users will not accept this new strategy of Cisco. It's not like HP or Dell, where, when you purchase the hardware and it's a lifetime license. It's a lifetime subscription. You don't need to renew the license every two years. Therefore, from a price perspective, no, Cisco's not good. Their strategy now seems to be pushing customers to go for other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

The product is excellent and I would rate it at a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,208 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Frederic Soulier
Deputy Head of IT at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
A stable and reliable solution with a wide range of features and functionalities, but it is too complex for our use
  • "The way we can trust this solution is the most valuable. We have no issue with this product. It is a competitive product. You need to have a very good and deep knowledge of the product to take the full benefits of all the features, but it is a good product."
  • "It is too complex. It should be easy to use. We are not such a big team. We only have three engineers to work with this, and we don't use all of the functionality of the product. Its range of functionality is too wide for us, and this is the reason why we are thinking of switching to a more simple product. We have shortlisted a Microsoft solution. We have a big footprint for Microsoft products, especially in security. As a global strategy, we try to leverage to the maximum what is possible around Microsoft."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It is too complex. It should be easy to use. We are not such a big team. We only have three engineers to work with this, and we don't use all of the functionality of the product. Its range of functionality is too wide for us, and this is the reason why we are thinking of switching to a more simple product. We have shortlisted a Microsoft solution. We have a big footprint for Microsoft products, especially in security. As a global strategy, we try to leverage to the maximum what is possible around Microsoft.

This product was installed before I joined this company. It would be six years or something like that. We are probably two versions behind the latest one.

It is stable.

Their technical support is good. Cisco support is good.

I was not there, but I think the company had a services company that helped them in implementing it. It was easy because we only had to give them the requirements and their engineers did it for us. After they finished their mission, we started to deal with this solution, but it is too complex for a company of our size.

Its price is probably good if you use all of its features and functionalities to protect your environment. If you use only a part of the functionality, its price is too high. It is just a question of value and the functionality you use.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to make sure that you have the knowledge of this solution to get the full benefits of all the features, and you are able to use it on a daily basis.

I would rate Cisco ISE a six out of ten. Its functionality is too wide for our company.

Chief Technology Officer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Overall useful features, good community support, and scalable
  • "I have found that all of the features are valuable. It is very easy to deploy because we are able to port users directly from Active Directory (AD) and LDAP."
  • "In an upcoming release, the solution needs to be more agentless and more independent. Additionally, there could be improved integration with other next-generation solutions, such as Palo Alto, Fortinet, or Check Point."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for both wired and wireless network access control. We have deployed it in a bank, government offices, and some universities.

What is most valuable?

I have found that all of the features are valuable.

It is very easy to deploy because we are able to port users directly from Active Directory (AD) and LDAP.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for approximately nine years.

The solution takes a while to get up and running before it becomes stable. There is a lot of fine-tuning that needs to be done to make sure that users are authenticated properly and not denied access. I have had the experience of redeploying the ISE several times because of false denial of services or access to services but once it is configured correctly the stability is fine.

I have found this solution is scalable, especially the latest versions. The older versions, have to have some additions in order to make them scalable. However, I think they have resolved this issue.

We have had customers of all business sizes using this solution, from small to enterprise companies.

The community support is satisfactory, it is very easy to get support. You can find any documentation and support within the community.

The deployment takes a long time. Additionally, if you want to integrate the solution with AD and LDAP you will need someone that is very experienced. It is a good feature to have but it is complex to integrate.

We have had experience deploying this solution to small, medium, and enterprise size companies.

This solution requires an annual license and it is a bit expensive than competitors.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) an eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller, integrator
Nayef Hamzeh
IT Manager at CMC
Provides useful information, plenty of network rules, but user interface needs improvement
  • "The most valuable features are the ability to retrieve information about Active Directory user names, viewing the log files to see which MAC address tried to connect with the created SSIDs, portal designing for your company, hotspot tools, and creating network rules for WiFi access."
  • "The interface could be more user-friendly and the ability to apply rules to MAC addresses, for example, if I wanted to allow a certain MAC address access at a particular time I cannot make this adjustment."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for network security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ability to retrieve information about Active Directory user names, viewing the log files to see which MAC address tried to connect with the created SSIDs, portal designing for your company, hotspot tools, and creating network rules for WiFi access.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be more user-friendly and the ability to apply rules to MAC addresses, for example, if I wanted to allow a certain MAC address access at a particular time I cannot make this adjustment.

In an upcoming release, they could improve by providing rule-based bandwidth consumption, bring your own device (BYOD) need to be more mature, and the reports could be more user-friendly.

I have been using this solution for approximately four years.

The solution is stable.

The controller has to manage a certain number of access points and we did not see any problems with the scalability. It is able to handle more access points than we need it for.

We do not have experience with The technical support from Cisco directly because the technical support we receive is from our partners which they have been excellent.

We have used 3Com wireless controllers previously.

We used Cisco partners to do the implementation of the solution.

Recently, I have evaluated Aruba solutions and I found them to be better than Cisco. There is room for improvement, Cisco can do better.

What other advice do I have?

When deciding to implement this solution it is a good idea to assess and define the requirements to determine whether there is a need for this solution. It is important to know what you can use from it. You can have a WiFi environment without the need for a Cisco ISE. This solution has advanced security that might not be needed for your use case. Be sure about your needs.

I rate Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) a seven out of ten.

Head Cyber Security at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Has good flexibility and stability

What is our primary use case?

One of the use cases was the certificate-based authentication for the endpoints. All the laptops and mobiles are embedded with certificates and once they get authenticated, then only they would be able to connect to the LAN.  The other use case was the NAC use case wherein the integrity of the laptops and mobile and such were checked before the scan. They fulfill the policy requirements and then they are able to connect to the network. The third use case was the consolidated access control management for all the network devices and security devices.

What is most valuable?

It's flexible and stable. It's been good as a standard environment to run.

It was implemented in my last organization and we used it for…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

It's flexible and stable. It's been good as a standard environment to run.

It was implemented in my last organization and we used it for three years. We are evaluating and will be implementing it in a couple of months at my current organization.

It is stable and scalable. We have 5,000 to 6,000 users.

Technical support is good because the partner is quite competent so we have all the support that is required.

The initial setup was a little bit complex. It's not that simple because it requires a lot of prerequisites for the solution to get a hold on. So the prerequisites and then onboarding all this like the landscape of endpoints was quite tedious. That was no surprise, because this is something which would be with other products as well. It took a long time for the implementation, but it's been rock stable now.

The deployment took six to seven months.

We had consultants and we had a partner for the deployment. The system integrator was involved with the roll out.

What other advice do I have?

The management part is much smoother. It takes care of all the costs across branded devices as well, so that it is a single panel we can manage all the end-to-end entry devices as well. That's something would be really good for Cisco ISE product.

I would recommend Cisco ISE. I would rate it an eight out of ten. I would like it to be more stable.

Senior Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Great network access control lets you know who's in your network at any time
  • "I've had no issues with scalability. I started using it on two campuses, and now I'm using it across the country and scaling it across subsidiaries in other countries."
  • "The intuitiveness of the user interface could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

My main uses are device administration, wireless access authentication, and ethernet access.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is network access control for the users coming into the network, which allows us to know who is in the network at any given time.

What needs improvement?

The intuitiveness of the user interface could be improved. They could also make the deployment process more user-friendly.

I have two years of experience with this solution.

ISE is very stable - since it was installed, I've had no issues with it.

I've worked closely with Cisco for many years and have no complaints about their support. Sometimes it takes less than a couple of minutes to get through to their support team.

I previously used Portnox, but it only gave us network access control, so we switched to ISE, which has more features like device administration.

Deployment is usually tough the first time, though once you get it working, it works well.

We used in-house engineers and an integrator.

We have a three-year license. Standard licensing gives backup access and very few features, and then there's VM licensing - each VM we use needs to be licensed. VM licensing comes in different sizes: small, medium, and extra-large. There are also licenses for features, posturing licenses, and profiling licenses.

What other advice do I have?

Before deploying, it's a good idea to read up on the product first and then get some training so that when deployed, someone in the organization understands the solution. I would rate this solution as nine out of ten.

Senior Solutions Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good support, stability, and interconnection with the ecosystem
  • "The interconnection with the ecosystem and the ability to force rules all over the network are the most important features."
  • "It is a good product, but in order to use all of the functions of the product, you must have a good understanding of the product. You must know how to use and manage it. It is a little bit complicated to configure and manage. It must be simplified to make it easy to manage for end users. In the initial stage, we found ISE complicated for end users. It was not easy to manage it or to write authentication and authorization protocol. They must improve its management and make it easy for end users. The monitoring and reporting capabilities can be improved because end users want to quickly see what is happening in their network. There were some restrictions in working with other vendors. It should also have a better and easy integration with other vendors."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It is a good product, but in order to use all of the functions of the product, you must have a good understanding of the product. You must know how to use and manage it. It is a little bit complicated to configure and manage. It must be simplified to make it easy to manage for end users. In the initial stage, we found ISE complicated for end users. It was not easy to manage it or to write authentication and authorization protocol. They must improve its management and make it easy for end users.

The monitoring and reporting capabilities can be improved because end users want to quickly see what is happening in their network. There were some restrictions in working with other vendors. It should also have a better and easy integration with other vendors.

I have been using this solution for five or six years.

It is a stable product.

It is scalable.

It has good technical support. We also have local support now, which is better. There is no problem with their technical support.

People who are experts should deploy such products. In order to preserve the reputation, a product must be set up with the help of a talented or expert person because when you set up, deploy, or install the product in a wrong way, it gives negative feedback to customers.

The price can be lower, especially for subscriptions. It should be a lot cheaper to have a wide range of customers. The price should be comparable to competitive products like Forescout or Fortinet FortiNAC. Forescout is cheaper for customers looking for a cloud solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco ISE an eight out of ten.

Download our free Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.