IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Check Point Application Control OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Check Point Application Control is #1 ranked solution in top Application Control tools. PeerSpot users give Check Point Application Control an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Check Point Application Control is most commonly compared to WatchGuard Application Control: Check Point Application Control vs WatchGuard Application Control. Check Point Application Control is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 31% of all views.
Check Point Application Control Buyer's Guide

Download the Check Point Application Control Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Check Point Application Control?

Check Point Application Control provides the industry’s strongest application security and identity control to organizations of all sizes. It enables IT teams to easily create granular policies, based on users or groups, to identify, block or limit usage of thousands of Web applications and widgets.

Learn more about Application control software

Check Point Application Control Customers
SEB, Luma Arles, Terma, Aerospace, Midwest Rubber
Check Point Application Control Video

Archived Check Point Application Control Reviews (more than two years old)

Kirtikumar Patel - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineer at LTTS
We can filter a search based on risk level to see all applications at a certain risk level
  • "With Check Point Application Control we can say we improved our legacy and have made them more secure. Now we are able to allow specific applications on respective service and we are allowed those respective services only."
  • "Most of the business applications stopped working, we don't know why and we have already escalated to the top level but we still haven't gotten any corrective action on this. They always take logs but after that, there is no resolution."

What is our primary use case?

The Check Point Application Control blade provides application security and identity control for our organization. It gives us very easy to create policies based on users and groups. We use Critical Risk and Anonymizers, P2P file sharing, Spyware, and Remote admin categories. We use Application Control in two ways, separate rule base and with access policy as well. My all over experience is good.

How has it helped my organization?

With Application Control we have visibility into who is accessing which application but our pain area is still with HTTPS inspection.

Overall, Application Control is a very good blade and it is very helpful in our complex environment. We can restrict our site to site rule as well.

What is most valuable?

The Check Point Application control database contains each and every application and category and each of the applications and categories describe the additional category and also a risk level. The database updates regularly. It gives us the updated and latest lists of applications that are widely used. We can filter a search based on risk level, risk level 5 to see all applications with that risk level. We can also see the description of the risk level with the lag line.

What needs improvement?

Most of the business applications stopped working, we don't know why and we have already escalated to the top level but we still haven't gotten any corrective action on this. They always take logs but after that, there is no resolution. They need to improve this, this will help us a lot. We have not blocked anything on a rule base we have enabled HTTPS on a monitoring mode but still, we are facing issues, and if we add an unknown category on that respective rule only then does it start working.

Check Point Application Control
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about Check Point Application Control. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
619,967 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Check Point for four years.

Stability is good.

Support is genuinely not good on Application Control.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We initially implemented it with a vendor.

We have seen ROI.

What other advice do I have?

They have to improve more on the Application Control blade.

Ndricim-Danaj - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Stable, scales well, and you can use it to protect against everything
  • "This solution is stable and we have not had any issues."
  • "The initial setup was a bit difficult."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is security, threat prevention, antivirus, and ransomware. You can use it for everything.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the protection from threats.

What needs improvement?

This solution could be easier to manage.

The security features could be enhanced, and the price could be lower as well.

I have been familiar with this solution for a year and a half.

This solution is stable and we have not had any issues.

This solution scales nicely.

We have not contacted technical support as of yet.

The initial setup was a bit difficult. Every product has its own difficulties and many products are not equal to each other, which is the reason why it was a bit difficult.

You have to know the features and where they are located and how they work, the logic and even with the logic you have, you don't know the configuration.

The deployment took one week.

We have our team. We implemented this solution ourselves.

It's a bit expensive and it could be cheaper, but it's part of business politics.

We did evaluate other options but they are approximately the same. They may have some differences, but at first glance, they don't appear to have differences in the functions.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution and I suggest it. In general, it can be improved but it's good enough.