IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

CAST Highlight OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

CAST Highlight is #22 ranked solution in application security tools. PeerSpot users give CAST Highlight an average rating of 8 out of 10. CAST Highlight is most commonly compared to SonarQube: CAST Highlight vs SonarQube. CAST Highlight is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 37% of all views.

Download the Application Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is CAST Highlight?

CAST Highlight is a SaaS software intelligence product for performing rapid application portfolio analysis. It automatically analyzes source code of hundreds of applications in a week for Cloud Readiness, Software Composition Analysis (Open Source risks), Resiliency, and Technical Debt. Objective software insights from automated source code analysis combined with built-in qualitative surveys for business context enable more informed decision-making about application portfolios.

CAST is the software intelligence category leader. CAST technology can see inside custom applications with MRI-like precision, automatically generating intelligence about their inner workings - composition, architecture, transaction flows, cloud readiness, structural flaws, legal and security risks. It’s becoming essential for faster modernization for cloud, raising the speed and efficiency of Software Engineering, better open source risk control, and accurate technical due diligence. CAST operates globally with offices in North America, Europe, India, China. Visit www.castsoftware.com.

CAST Highlight Customers

Wells Fargo, Bank of NY Mellon, Northern Trust, Microsoft, Amazon, IBM, BMW, AT&T, US Army, US Air Force, US Navy, John Hancock, Marsh & McLennan, Ernst & Young, PwC, Volkswagen, Boston Consulting Group, London Stock Exchange, Telefonica, Saur France, Total Energies France, SNCF

CAST Highlight Video

CAST Highlight Pricing Advice

What users are saying about CAST Highlight pricing:
  • "It is a pretty costly tool. A lot of customers are resistant to using it."
  • "CAST Highlight is an expensive solution. However, CAST Highlight is less expensive than the CAST AIP, but it remains too expensive and the professional services from CAST are also too expensive. The high price is part of the problem with the CAST solutions."
  • CAST Highlight Reviews

reviewer1572348 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Excellent support, works seamlessly with most languages, and useful for knowing about the readiness of the codebase for cloud migration
    • "The way it tells you which codebase is more ready for the cloud and which codebase is less ready is very valuable. It works seamlessly with most languages."
    • "Its price should be better. It is a pretty costly tool. They have two products: CAST Highlight and CAST AIP. I would expect CAST Highlight to have the Help dashboard and the Engineering dashboard. These dashboards are currently a part of CAST AIP, and if these are made available in CAST Highlight, customers won't have to use two different products all the time."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for a customer to help review the architecture of the different applications and understand how to replatform them.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it for our customers. Too early to say how customer has benefited.

What is most valuable?

The way it tells you which codebase is more ready for the cloud and which codebase is less ready is very valuable. It works seamlessly with most languages.

What needs improvement?

Its price should be better. It is a pretty costly tool. They have two products: CAST Highlight and CAST AIP. Both are licensed separately. As per CAST, Highlight is for RAPID prototyping and AIP is for in depth detailed analysis. But then there are areas which Highlights covers (Cloud Adoption) which AIP does not. Our experience in using AIP is that it also does not look at entire tech stack and does not provide the list of all technologies present in your application and then flag what is supported and what is not so that customer has clear view. Highlight probably does that. They need to simplify it for customers. I would expect CAST Highlight to have lighter version of the Health dashboard and the Engineering dashboards . These dashboards are currently a part of CAST AIP, and if these are made available in CAST Highlight, customers won't have to use two different products all the time.
    Application Security
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about CAST, Sonar, Veracode and others in Application Security. Updated: June 2022.
    607,332 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for one and a half to two months.

It is stable. It works seamlessly with most languages. However, when the application code is pretty complex, such as .NET with entity framework, it probably does not check the integrity of the application.

It is pretty good in terms of scalability.

Their technical team is pretty helpful. They provide excellent support.

CAST Highlight is easy to install. Other products of CAST, such as CAST AIP, can be a little complex.

We have leveraged CAST SMEs and they provide excellent support and have great indepth knowledge of the product

Too early to say as we have just started.

It is a pretty costly tool. A lot of customers are resistant to using it.

We evaluated a lot of tools, but for this particular use case, we couldn't find any tool that matches CAST Highlight.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to really do their homework and understand the use case and how CAST Highlight is going to help them. Otherwise, they will only be spending money, and they may not really see its value.  It is a pretty strong engineering tool, but unless you are really clear about the use case and the outcomes, you will not get a value out of it. If you do not know the outcomes and what do you want to do with the tool, you will get the dashboards or output, but you won't be able to consume and benefit from it. For example, a fantastic use case is when you know for sure that a customer is looking to migrate ten applications from on-prem to cloud and wants to know how much code is ready for moving to the cloud versus how much refactoring they need to do. If you're looking for a code change estimate from on-prem to on-prem or some other application, CAST Highlight may not be a good tool for such a use case. I would rate CAST Highlight an eight out of ten.

Direction Digital Workplace & Socles at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
    Useful interface, good support, but could provide more deep analysis options
    • "The most valuable features of the CAST Highlight are the interface and there are three notations that are very simple to understand and communicate with."
    • "CAST Highlight could improve to allow us to comment and do a deep analysis by ourselves."

What is our primary use case?

We are using CAST Highlight for the location because it's an indicator for us that can differentiate us from the other health insurance company. We are using the indicator as proof of the quality of service for our application.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of the CAST Highlight are the interface and there are three notations that are very simple to understand and communicate with.

What needs improvement?

I have been using CAST Highlight for approximately three years.

CAST Highlight is stable. We only had a problem last year because we discovered that our data at the beginning was outside Europe and were in the United States. We asked to transfer our data to Europe and it was very complicated to do it and we lost some data in the transfer. However, it has now stabilized.

We have approximately 10 people using this solution in my organization. CAST Highlight notations exist and when we need the notation to make a presentation or to explain the way we work, we use these notations. Everyone in the company has access.

We would like to increase the usage of the solution.

The support from CAST Highlight is very good.

The initial installation of CAST Highlight was not easy because we have different sources, and the line of the sources was in different places, we had to gather everything. However, if we did it now the process would be fine.

The duration of the first deployment of 200 applications took some time but if we did it now it would be faster and it would be easier.

We were helped directly with the implementation by the CAST Highlight team and we have done the process by ourselves with the expert from CAST Highlight.

CAST Highlight is an expensive solution. However, CAST Highlight is less expensive than the CAST AIP, but it remains too expensive and the professional services from CAST are also too expensive. The high price is part of the problem with the CAST solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Before using CAST Highlight I would recommend others to have a clear view, and overview of the quality of code on which they can communicate with other industries or with customers.

I rate CAST Highlight a seven out of ten.

Download our free Application Security Report and find out what your peers are saying about CAST, Sonar, Veracode, and more!
    Updated: June 2022