We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

CA Service Operations Insight [EOL] OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is CA Service Operations Insight [EOL]?

CA Service Operations Insight is comprehensive service management software designed to help IT and engineering manage the quality and availability of online services more effectively. This solution helps make your operations less of a technology silo-monitoring team and more business-aligned. CA Service Operations Insight is a customer relationship management system that provides a holistic visualization of the components across technology domains that deliver services to your customers by correlating data from a wide variety of CA and multi-vendor monitoring tools. By moving beyond traditional business service management solutions, our service management software helps you pinpoint what could be threatening to your service delivery. Through cross-domain IT operations analytics, this next-generation customer relationship management system helps your operations staff take specific actions appropriate to your business priorities.

CA Service Operations Insight [EOL] was previously known as CA SOI.

Download the CRM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

CA Service Operations Insight [EOL] Customers

Lexmark, HCL Technologies, Banese

CA Service Operations Insight [EOL] Video

Archived CA Service Operations Insight [EOL] Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user558297
Technology Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
The integration and the presentation layer are valuable. It needs some work in the stability area.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the integration and probably the presentation layer.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives a high-level service view, and we use it for event monitoring.

What needs improvement?

I rated this product highly because it does what it is supposed to do, and it's configurable and adaptable, but it still needs some work. What exactly it needs to improve is too complicated to answer. I'd have to think about that for awhile, so I can't really think about that.

It needs some work in the stability area. It's enterprise ready, but it's not as robust for a large volume.

As we drive up the solution and add more and more features, we'll see whether it holds up.

We use a lot of technical support. I think technical support from CA is good.

What other advice do I have?

I was not involved in the decision to invest in a solution. I’m in the test team, and I don’t make the selections. But if I were involved, the most important criteria would be the availability of offerings and the support.

Try out this solution. Take advantage of the test environments and trial editions, and things like that, when you are evaluating it.

it_user558420
Director at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
The tools shorten our time to diagnose and resolve problems

What is most valuable?

It's going to help us do our job better, more efficiently, and more quickly. The tools shorten our time to diagnosis and resolve problems, and to analyze things. It's probably going to reduce overall efforts, overall man-time, or manpower requirements. It will also let us scale and grow better.

How has it helped my organization?

It's certainly going to speed up time to resolution. It will hopefully make it so I could introduce more junior people on my staff in a training role, rather than all senior people, as we are stuck with now. It's a lot of opportunity to fix structural things that we're seeing that were missing in the code environment.

What needs improvement?

In regards to their newly released Operational Analytics interface for mainframe systems, so far, the first releases are a limited set of data. The future releases are going to bring in surrounding data, database network metrics, and other business metrics into the tool. So that’s all key for us.

So far, it looks pretty good. It looks really nice. It's merging new technologies with my mainframe data. It's really good so far. I like what I'm seeing.

So far, it looks like it's going to do the right thing for me. We're looking for a product that lets me grow my environment without having to worry about staff. So this tool looks like it can scale and support almost anything that we need to. That will be good. It's going to reach out and touch other metrics that come into it from other technologies. This is also key for us.

We are not using technical support yet because their product is just coming to GA; but I took part in their beta testing program. The support was great on that.

We had some home grown solutions that we were developing. They had the right product at the right time for us. It looks like a better fit than what we could design for ourselves.

We looked at IBM a little bit, but they didn't have anything that went into this area that we were looking at. We would have to develop our own pieces there too. This looks like a more comprehensive solution for us.

It is important that a vendor works with the customer, and they're receptive to customer requirements. We've been able to talk to them, and requests things from them. It's a two-way street. We get responses back from them, and updates to products and features included in the future releases that we need. So it's been very good.

I wasn’t involved in the initial setup, but was involved in some of the initial designs of the product early-on.

What other advice do I have?

It really does what most people don't even realize that they need to do. It uses historical data to monitor where you're at currently. A lot of people just spend time looking at historic charts; but that's yesterday’s data. You need something that brings that and merges it with today's data. That, to me, is where this is going to really hit the sweet spot.

I think it fills a key gap in the environment right now that's really missing. It's really going to be a game changer once it hits the market, and it really hits the world – when it starts being used by everybody. It's going to be a game changer.

Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, SiEBEN, Oracle and others in CRM. Updated: January 2022.
563,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TEM Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Features like alarm enrichment and escalation policies are very helpful in creation of dashboards reflecting only business critical alarms.

Valuable Features

CA SOI allows a lot of flexibility in managing alerts received from downstream systems. Features like alarm enrichment and escalation policies are very helpful in creation of dashboards, reflecting only business critical alarms with all relevant information including root-cause analysis and probable cause.

Improvements to My Organization

We deployed CA SOI for a customer and they are using it as a top-level monitoring tool for business stakeholders to check how their network infrastructure is performing and to view the status of critical enterprise-level services. This enables the decision-making body in the business to be aware in real-time about the performance and outages in the services provided, and thus deal with issues proactively before their business is impacted.

The unique feature of integrating CA SOI with CA BSI gives NOC users a powerful tool to monitor their committed-service SLAs in real-time. If the SLA is impacted even slightly, the alerts in SOI are useful in giving the NOC users a heads-up and thus the relevant actions can be taken to ensure service continuity without breach of SLA.

Room for Improvement

The topology view should be improved with better quality and a richer set of icons. It also needs to have more customization options in the topology view, like Spectrum's topology editor.

Use of Solution

We've used it for three years.

There were some issues while deploying, especially related to DB connectivity but, since v3.3, the deployment activity has been a breeze and very user friendly.

We did not encounter any issues with the stability of the product. The product is very stable, however, support for the latest OS's should be provided. Performance of the connectors can be improved upon.

We didn't attempt it, but CA says that SOI does support on-the-fly scalability. In our in-house CA lab, we attempted scalability tests, however, I am not up-to-date with the results.

In our deployment we deployed it standalone and it was a very capable in effectively managing alerts received from numerous downstream systems CA eHealth, Spectrum, NFA, and Mediation Manager.

8/10 - due to a complicated integration setup for CA COTS, a lack of proper documentation, as well as a limited featured topology, and no GIS map capability. However, the ease-of-use of the dashboard and the rich set of metrics which are displayed in an easy-to-understand dashboard UI are very powerful plus-points for the solution.

10/10 - the support team is always helpful and provide crisp and clear information relevant to the issue or query and provide so with a quick turnaround time.

The initial setup gets complicated when we try integrations with CA eHealth, Spectrum and BSI. Though connectors are available, there are a lot of configurations required to actually get the integration functioning as per requirements. A good documentation set for all relevant configurations for supported integrations would be appreciated.

Implementation Team

We were the vendor team, and we implemented the solution for a major ICT client in Mauritius.

ROI

As we were the implementing vendor, we were not directly involved in the ROI. However, as per customer inputs, their MTBF and MTTR was reduced considerably and many network issues especially performance issues now were identified and resolved proactively before business impact, and the high level management is always up-to-date on the network performance due to the CA SOI interface.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The pricing and licensing costs are very cheap and as there is no comparable product offered by other vendors, CA SOI is truly a unique solution with a very affordable price bracket. The solution, when clubbed together with CA Spectrum, eHealth and BSI, provides a huge capability in managing complex and very large infrastructures. The low pricing model of CA SOI allows it to be a cherry on the cake offer for potential customers due to its immense flexibility and dashboard capability. The new app dashboard too enhances the value for money of CA SOI.

Other Solutions Considered

We did not evaluate any other options as there is no other option offering the particular feature set that CA SOI provides.

Other Advice

A wiki site covering the entire documentation set and more features in editing the topology, like background colors, shapes and custom icons, a richer collection of device icons and capability to integrate with GIS maps.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a trusted partner of CA. Our in-house CA lab is one of the best in the industry with ability to simulate real-life scenarios on any scale of IT/Network infrastructure for assessment of COTS products and their feature sets and capabilities.
it_user353238
Enterprise Development Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We're able to create policies for associating CIs with services and to cue those policies when we want. However, they need to look at going beyond Windows and go in more of an analytics direction.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is that is allows us to move all of our Configuration Items into services. It also provides us with the capability to send an alarm to everyone for whom those services are relevant.

Improvements to My Organization

We can bring in all the CIs that we have and associate them with services. We're able to create policies for doing that and cue the policies when we want. We filter those specific events that we're interested in and have them alerted through either a ticket or from a direct D-list email to our clients.

Room for Improvement

They need to look at going beyond Windows and go in more of an analytics direction. It's more of a long-term perspective that we're looking to use the tool.

We've finally got some stability there. We're actually getting alerts and we're making sure we get our alerts properly cued up for various business units so that they are aware of desegregations or outages.

It has improved a lot. I've literally watched it mature. I think we're finally getting to a proper release with 3.3. I know there's more coming out. But, we're in a good state in terms of delivering services, alerts, and just managing the whole infrastructure.

I don't recall any issues with technical support. And we also use CS Services, so I just run there and it's done.

I wasn't involved in any of the implementations that were put in there. I became the new caretaker in some ways, a shared investor in this solution.

it_user351225
Principle Engineer at a media company with 10,001+ employees
We're able to identify problem areas and issues as quickly as possible, but they should bring in High Availability for remote locations ASAP.

Valuable Features

In my position, the ability to pull information from various management tools is a must, and SOI allows me to do that with ease.

Improvements to My Organization

On the organization front, we get to identify problem areas more quickly, which is of course vital. We're able to identify issues as quickly as possible.

Room for Improvement

The only thing it's missing is High Availability with remote locations. They should bring this is in ASAP.

Following a moderately-complex initial setup, we haven't had any issues with deployment.

It's fairly stable. We had some issues initially, but now it's stable.

We are still pushing its limits, but it seems to be doing the job. Next year, it will have a big test as we will be ramping things up internally.

No problems with this product in terms of support. They have been as outstanding any questions have been answered very timely.

I’d say the initial setup had medium complexity. We did a lot of preplanning, which was vital. Without it we would have struggled.

Other Solutions Considered

• Ericsson
  • HP

Other Advice

Document your services. If you don’t know what you have, then you are never going to figure it out. Also, start small and grow into it.

it_user350661
Sr. Application Support Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It gives the overall health of an application, which is important to us because whether one server might have an issue doesn’t mean an application has an issue. But, we’d like to install it on Linux.

Valuable Features

It provides information on service availability so that you can find root-cause analysis on any given service.

Improvements to My Organization

It gives the overall health of an application, which is important to us because whether one server might have an issue doesn’t mean an application has an issue. But you can see what state the application is running under.

Room for Improvement

We’d like to be able to install it on Linux and not just Windows.

We didn't have any trouble with deployment.

It's very stable.

It’s not as scalable, but it’s not as big a platform as UIM.

Technical support is very good.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Other Advice

Get your diagrams of your applications and documentation of those apps from an infrastructure-relational standpoint. Know what affects what before you install it.