We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

BackupAssist OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

BackupAssist is #29 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give BackupAssist an average rating of 10 out of 10. BackupAssist is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: BackupAssist vs Veeam Backup & Replication. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is BackupAssist?
BackupAssist is a backup app for physical and virtual Windows servers. It supports on-site and cloud backup, and allows users to restore anything from a few files to an entire server.

Download the Backup and Recovery Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

BackupAssist Customers
Monash University, NASA, NYU, Pfizer, RAF Association, Rockwell Colins, University of Arizona, US Department of State, Volvo
BackupAssist Video

BackupAssist Pricing Advice

What users are saying about BackupAssist pricing:
"The cost of the solution is reasonable and there are add-on options that can be purchased. I have used other solutions that are a lot more expensive that are not as good. The ability to get support is very simple and very reasonable from a cost standpoint."

BackupAssist Reviews

Tech Doctor at a recruiting/HR firm with 11-50 employees
Simple to configure, highly reliable, and effective backup and restore functionality
  • "The most valuable features of BackupAssist are ease of use, configure is simple, and more importantly, ease of recovery. If you needed to do a complete system recovery or another recovery it is straightforward."
  • "Many solutions become stagnant over time. However, BackupAssist has been consistent in updates but they must continue to innovate and improve to avoid stagnation."

What is our primary use case?

Overall I primarily use BackupAssist to back up servers, but there are other applications. I have a network drive and I needed to use it on my office computer to back it up. We have a version called BackupAssist Workstation and BackupAssist Classic and there is a new one that I am not familiar with.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of BackupAssist are ease of use, configure is simple, and more importantly, ease of recovery. If you needed to do a complete system recovery or another recovery it is straightforward.

What you want is software that can be relied upon at the moment when a server goes down, you can backup simply and reliably, BackupAssist fulfilled this criterion. Whereas the others were more complicated and I just dismissed them as options.

BackupAssist has a feature that allows backups of local drives to a network drive. Additionally, I can set up the solution to backup to a cloud service, such as Amazon Web Services or Wasabi, which is very good.

I have found they come out with updates periodically and new products for the needs of customers. They are an evolving company that releases new features. This is very good because it prevents them from becoming stagnant.

What needs improvement?

Many solutions become stagnant over time. However, BackupAssist has been consistent in updates but they must continue to innovate and improve to avoid stagnation.

I have been using BackupAssist for approximately five years.

BackupAssist is highly stable and is great at data recovery. I have had the unfortunate experience of needing to do some recovery with it and it worked well, I was very happy.

The solution can handle large applications.

Whether you are new to backup solutions or not, I would call their support because they are very willing and able to provide assistance. It is worth calling them to double-check to make sure you have everything set up correctly, this can be helpful to prevent any surprises in the future. I have had good experiences with their support, they are very knowledgeable.

I have previously used iDrive BMR and Symantec Backup Exec. iDrive BMR was not very good and I would not recommend it and Symantec Backup Exec was similar, I could not understand it because it was too complicated. It seemed to be a good solution for enterprise companies but for a small business, it was not user-friendly. If there was ever a crisis that occurred I would not be able to figure out how to recover my backup image. The setup was difficult and I am not sure if I was setting it up correctly.

The installation is straightforward.

The cost of the solution is reasonable and there are add-on options that can be purchased. I have used other solutions that are a lot more expensive that are not as good. The ability to get support is very simple and very reasonable from a cost standpoint.

What other advice do I have?

I would strongly recommend this solution to others.

I would rate BackupAssist a ten out of ten.