IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Atlassian Crowd OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Single Sign-On (SSO) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Atlassian Crowd?
Atlassian Crowd is a single sign-on and user identity tool that's easy to use, administer, and integrate. Users can come from anywhere: Active Directory, LDAP, Crowd itself, or any mix thereof. Control permissions to all your applications in one place Ð Atlassian, Subversion, Google Apps, or your own apps.

Atlassian Crowd was previously known as Crowd.

Atlassian Crowd Customers
NHL, Interspire, Appfire
Atlassian Crowd Video

Archived Atlassian Crowd Reviews (more than two years old)

Senior Consultant IT Infrastructure at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees

What is most valuable?

The integration of third-party directory services helps you to move your existing users and groups into the Atlassian products. As far as I know, Crowd supports at least the integration of these directories: OpenLDAP, Apache Directory Server, Fedora Directory Server, Active Directory.  Integrating third-party directories is very easy since Crowd offers well-described input fields so you know what information is needed.

How has it helped my organization?

Crowd is not really there for improving your organization, it more servers as a directory service for the Atlassian products. Still, it is a good way for access control and of course the single sign-on feature brings some comfort for the users.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if the UI would receive a complete re-design. The GUI is well arranged and structured. However, the look and feel is a bit antiquated in my eyes. It would make sense to give the GUI a fresh look which fits more into the look of other Atlassian products. It would also be great if the information within the GUI would be dynamically loaded (e.g. through Ajax) which would save some clicks.

I have been using Crowd for more than 2,5 years.
Single Sign-On (SSO)
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Atlassian, Auth0, Broadcom and others in Single Sign-On (SSO). Updated: June 2022.
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Not yet.
Consultant at PwC Belgium
LDAP connection is a valuable feature but exporting users/groups toward LDAP has room for improvement

What is most valuable?

User/groups assignment to applications, LDAP connection and the Apache module.

How has it helped my organization?

I setup and administrate Crowd for a client of ours. Users are able to perform Single Sign On on all the Atlassian products including Subversion authentication through an Apache module and soon GIT.

What needs improvement?

Exporting users/group toward LDAP and retrieving LDAP attributes like photo profile.

2 years

I haven't encountered any issues.

Customer Service: On a scale from 1-5 I would give it a 5.Technical Support: On a scale from 1-5 I would give it a 5.

No, it was a need since we use other Atlassian products.

It is straightforward, especially because the standalone version requires only a few things to be configured.

In-house, I perform setup and maintenance (security patches) on my own.

$1,200 per year. Once setup, the management is really easy.

No, we didn't. I am currently evaluating other products to avoid possible vendor lock in and to explore possible new features.

What other advice do I have?

If your budget allows, it is worth purchasing Crowd once you have at least 2 Atlassian products like Jira and Confluence. I would start to put users in an LDAP directory, so other application that cannot connect to Crowd at least can connect to LDAP (see my article on http://opensource.com/business/14/5/top-4-open-source-ldap-implementations).
Download our free Single Sign-On (SSO) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Atlassian, Auth0, Broadcom, and more!
Updated: June 2022