IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Aruba Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Aruba Switches is #2 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give Aruba Switches an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Aruba Switches is most commonly compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: Aruba Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches. Aruba Switches is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 48% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 26% of all views.
Aruba Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Aruba Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Aruba Switches?

Aruba Switches is a network creation solution that enables users to easily manage every aspect of their networks.

Benefits of Aruba Switches

Some of the benefits of using Aruba switches include:

• Easily access and manage every aspect of your networks. Aruba Switches give users a way to control their networks from a centralized location. The simplified control center can be accessed through both the cloud and on-premises devices. Intuitively view and manage every portion of your networks. You will be able to both analyze and control every device and client in the network while at the same time conserving resources for the areas of greatest concern.
  • Troubleshoot and upgrade your networks quickly and efficiently. Aruba Switches give users network visibility in real-time. It combines this with powerful analytics software that allow for the prediction, prevention, and resolution of issues. This allows administrators to act before their systems suffer serious harm. Additionally, Aruba Switches allow systems to maintain a high level of performance even during upgrading.
  • Automatically enact uniform system-wide changes. Aruba Switches gives users the ability to set their systems to automatically reconfigure when changes are necessary. Users are empowered to ensure that their systems run smoothly without worrying that there are parts of their network that are out of sync, reserving manpower and time for more pressing needs.

Reviews from Real Users

Aruba Switches are cutting-edge network creation tools that stand out among their competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are the warranty that guarantees them and the intuitive way in which they are designed. Aruba Switches are protected by lifetime warranties. If a switch malfunctions or is rendered inoperable, it can be quickly replaced. If the line of switches are still available, HPE will send the user the necessary replacement. Aruba Switches are built to be intuitive for users to customize and manipulate. This allows users to make full use of the solution without requiring them to devote a significant level of resources to training.

The head of technical support at a real estate law firm writes, “One valuable feature about HP is the warranty. All switches are very similar when it comes to most functionalities. Most switches provide a one-year warranty, but with HPE switches, if there's a unit that malfunctions, we call them and they replace it the next business day if that line is still available. We had a switch we reported the other day, it was a 25-10, which we procured way back, around 2014, and they replaced it. In general, HP provides a lot of support for its products. We will be doing some tinkering on the VLAN soon, first the layer two, and then connecting the layer three functionalities for some other departments. The advantage of Aruba compared to other switches is their reliability. If the product is trustworthy, I'll continue to use it.”

A network systems engineer at a financial services firm writes, “Their technical support is great. I have used Cisco products, and as compared to Cisco, Aruba's command-line syntax is not as complex. The command-line interface of Aruba switches is quite intuitive. It also has a graphical user interface. With Cisco, using the graphical user interface for configuration can be complex, whereas Aruba simplifies it, and you can easily use the graphical user interface. The configuration is secured. Their graphical user interface is quite robust.”

Aruba Switches was previously known as 8400 Series, 8320 Series, 5400R Series, 3810 Series, 2930M Series, 2930F Series, 2920 Series, 2540 Series, 2530 Series .

Aruba Switches Customers

Purdue University

Aruba Switches Video

Archived Aruba Switches Reviews (more than two years old)

Deputy IT Manager at ICAPP (Americana Group)
Reliable, easy to set up, and cost-effective
  • "It's a reliable product that you can depend on."
  • "We don't have visibility in Aruba Switches and we are thinking of switching to Fortiswitch because it has visibility."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is as the edge and the core switches for our company network.

We are working on an ERP system, domain controller, warehouse management, Salesforce automation, and many other applications.

What is most valuable?

It's a reliable product that you can depend on.

You can use it for a long time without any issues.

What needs improvement?

Visibility needs improvement. We don't have visibility in Aruba Switches and we are thinking of switching to FortiSwitch because it has visibility.

Currently, we have visibility and compatibility with the firewall. Through the firewall, we can see the entire network.

They are not very active with this solution. There is no followup with the vendors and resellers, they do not contact us to inform us of new technologies as they do with Cisco and Fortinet. Other vendors are more active in the community.

In the next release, I would like to see visibility included, as well as better integration with other platforms.

I have been working wit Aruba Switches for approximately 11 years.

We are working with the 251 and 190 series.

Aruba Switches
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about Aruba Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Aruba switches are stable, but we have a few that are hanging.

Aruba Switches are scalable.

We have more than 1,000 users in our company. We have 15 administrators and four people to maintain the network.

Technical support is moderate, not excellent. We have been waiting for more than two months for our switches that are hanging to be replaced.

Maintenance and after-sales service are not good.

We started with Aruba a long time ago when they were originally 3Com Switches.

The initial setup is straightforward, not complex.

Cisco is more complex than Aruba is.

We have many resellers and system integrators in our country, including Cisco and Fortinet.

There are no licenses, you just purchase the switch.

Comparing with Cisco, and some other solutions, it's a cheap product.

We are considering migrating from Aruba to possibly Cisco, or to Fortinet FortiSwitch.

We are comparing and conducting studies in order to move forward.

What other advice do I have?

We have experience working in networking products, high-security products like firewalls, switches, and all data center products.

We would happy to use Aruba Switches in the future if there are new technologies that meet our requirements, and our needs regarding visibility. Having visibility in the entire network and to see all of the parts of the network is something that is important to us.

In general, I recommend Aruba Switches.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

George Ferns - PeerSpot reviewer
George FernsSolution Architect - Networking and IoT at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Top 10Reseller

Visibility is not an issue on Aruba switches. Aruba do end to end cloud based management with Aruba Central that has detailed visibility into wifi, switches and sdwan gateways...The 1900 and 2510 switches are very very old switches and have been EoL for many years..

Navin Gadhvi - PeerSpot reviewer
Assistant Manager IT at Suzuki Motor Gujtarat
Flexible and easy-to-use
  • "We didn't experience any stability or scalability issues until now with Aruba Switches"
  • "If you work for a small business, then Cisco would be best."

What is our primary use case?

I use Aruba switches to provide a stable and comfortable industrial environment.

What is most valuable?

Aruba switches are more flexible, easy to use, have a good topology and are self-managing.

What needs improvement?

I have an opinion about Aruba controllers. Aruba access points do not require any controllers. Aruba controllers have different VLANS and there is no need to configure the access points, rather only the controller. You can put different VLANs on the same controllers. You don’t need to reconfigure it. This is a good feature that would be a good vehicle to use in the next release.

I have four years of experience using Aruba Switches.

We actually are the technical support because we are from HP. We give Aruba support and LT support to Aruba customers and users.

So, because my basic profile is network only, I have experience with wifi solutions like Aruba, Cisco, Ruckus and switches also dealing with Cisco and Aruba Switches and HPE switches also— 3Com. I also work with voice environments like Siemens IP PBX, HiPath, Siemens data and Jira. I also worked with Avaya PBX and Nortel PBX.

I was in HP for more than four years where I was the team leader, managing 14 locations and area network and voice leader.

What other advice do I have?

I have four years of experience working with Aruba but I have more than 10 years of experience with Cisco. If you are working in the manufacturing industry or in an environment with high heat and high temperatures, then I would recommend Aruba Switches, but if you work for a small business, then Cisco would be best.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Aruba Switches a nine. We do not give out ratings of 100% quality on any products.

Aruba Switches
August 2022
620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.
System Engineer at Neogenesis technical solutions
MSP
Easy initial setup, very stable and scalable
  • "The most valuable aspect for our organization is the CX. It's wonderful."
  • "The dashboard could be improved, especially for the CX Switches. It would help to push scripts and configurations via an easy to use dashboard, one which would give us complete visibility of all of our switches in one place. Right now, we have more than one dashboard for Aruba. It would be nice if it was centralized."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for enterprise solutions. We work in industries such as education (colleges and universities), hospitals, and banking. We are focused on banking right now.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect for our organization is the CX. It's wonderful.

H switches in the core layer are great. The configuration in the other vendors like Cisco for Data Center are different for H. We have Nexus for H, and we have Cisco Catalyst. While those switches are different and work in different ways, Aruba is the same for us, and this is a wonderful thing.

The initial setup is quick and easy.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any features that need to be added. It works quite well for us as it is.

I've been using the solution for four to five years.

This product is very stable and very reliable. We don't experience bugs or glitches. It doesn't stop working unexpectedly. It's been great.

We haven't had any issues with scalability at all.

I was using Juniper before Aruba. I still use them, occasionally. For the H switches, Aruba is better and more stable.

The initial setup was not complex. It was quite straightforward. We handled the process very easily.

It doesn't take long, either. You can have it up and running very fast. To deploy the test configuration only took about six to ten minutes.

For Aruba, there is no licensing to deal with, and that's the best. For features or protocols, no licensing is ever needed.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Aruba.

I'm a systems engineer, not a technical engineer, so I don't look too closely at the technical aspects of the solution.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Group Network Specialist at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good security, stable, and a lifetime warranty is available, but the price should be reduced

What is our primary use case?

We use Aruba switches as part of our network infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the security that these switches provide.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see centralized, cloud-based management.

If the price were lower then it would be more competitive with other products by vendors such as Cisco and Ruckus.

I have been working with Aruba switches for more than ten years.

In our experience, this is a stable product. Once they are configured, you rarely get any problems.

We have rarely had problems with our switches. When there is an issue with the hardware, it is replaced on the spot because we bought the lifetime limited warranty for them.

The price of these switches is high.

The most popular vendors for this type of product in the UAE are Cisco, HPE, and Ruckus.

What other advice do I have?

Manager IT at Hormann Legnica Sp. z o.o.
Great monitoring, an easy setup and capable of scaling
  • "The solution's most valuable aspect is its monitoring capabilities."
  • "The element of security always can be improved. If the solution continues to improve its security functionality, it will continue to be a great product."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our company, in the office. We use it for its monitoring capabilities.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is its monitoring capabilities. It works great for our organization.

What needs improvement?

Overall, it's a very good product. There isn't really a feature that needs to be simplified or improved.

I've been using the solution for around five years.

The solution is stable. We haven't had any issues with the reliability at all. It doesn't crash. There aren't bugs and glitches that affect the way it works.

The solution is scalable. If an organization needs to expand it out, they should be able to do so easily. The saying is quite good.

Although we've heard of Cisco, we never use it. We wouldn't recommend the solution above Aruba.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It was fairly straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We're only an Aruba customer. We don't have any special relationship with Aruba.

I recommend the product. It's very good. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. If the security was just a little bit better, I would give it full marks. As it is right now, the security could always be improved upon.

Network Security Engineer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
The command line interface is very useful and has good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We use and sell the 800 series switch. We compare the Aruba switches to the comparable Cisco switches as they have a similar feature set. We can sell them primarily because they cost less than Cisco. We use the Virtual Switching Extension feature that Aruba has for better performance and high availability. Aruba switches can be used in small and large businesses.

What is most valuable?

We have found that the command line interface is very useful and very similar to Cisco devices. We have also found that the Aruba switches are very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would say that the customization of the switches could be easier to configure.

We have been using Aruba Switches for the last six to seven years.

Aruba switches are a stable solution.

Aruba switches are very scalable. It can be integrated with other solutions. They can be used with either ClearPass or Cisco ICE.

Aruba technical support is very useful. you can contact them with a global number. They answer very quickly, in a few minutes we have the engineer on the call. So the technical support seems better than Cisco from a support perspective.

This initial setup of Aruba switches is very simple. The length of the deployment depends on how many switches are, and what type of switches you're doing, access switches versus the distribution switches. With a larger deployment, we need to take the time to take appropriate order, depending upon the client, location, and all that.

We deploy the Aruba switches for our clients.

Aruba switches are cheaper than Cisco for a similar feature set. The licensing costs are also cheaper than Cisco.

We have also used Cisco switches and they provide a similar feature set.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Aruba switches at a nine out of a scale of ten.

Network and Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to use, good GUI, and good technical support
  • "Aruba is very easy to use, the GUI is very good and the command line is quite similar to Cisco, so it is very easy to configure."
  • "I think that the performance is getting better but they need to have more powerful switches on the market so that they can capture medium and large businesses."

What is our primary use case?

We provide networks with antennae switches and Wi-Fi switches for small to medium-sized businesses for customers in the UAE.

What needs improvement?

They don't have any data center switches.

I have been using this solution for approximately five years.

It's quite stable. After Cisco HPE Autobus, it's the best on the market.

It's scalable and expandable to some extent.

Fifty to sixty percent of the customers we meet normally use Aruba. They are IT, managers, and administrators.

I have not had much interaction. Their knowledge base is quite good, so normally we don't need to call them.

We have only contacted them a few times.

If you need an RMA, then it would be required, and it is also quite good.

We are happy with the technical support, they are good.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's easy.

What other advice do I have?

For small businesses, it is the best on the market right now.

The recognition is still new.

Aruba is easy to expand and easy to configure.

I would recommend Aruba Switches.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Networking Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable, scalable, easy to install, and we like the framework for virtual switching
  • "We like the framework of fabric virtual switching."
  • "Technical support response time could be better."

What is our primary use case?

Our customer's infrastructure is based on the AKPA solution and we suggested Aruba Switches replace the AKPA Switches.

What is most valuable?

We like the framework of fabric virtual switching. It is the only virtual link between two switches, particularly with the co-switching environment. The link helps us to avoid issues with the findings tool.

What needs improvement?

I think that the environment for our clients should be simplified.

Technical support response time could be better.

We have been using this solution for between two and three years.

This solution is stable, we have not had any issues.

This solution is scalable.

Technical support is available in English and Italian, but they are slow to respond.

Previously we used Ubiquiti, it is cheaper but we went with Aruba and Cisco.

Cisco is stable and we don't have to worry about it not working. Aruba is still new to us, so we don't know it well, or all of the benefits yet.

With documentation and reference points, it's easy. It is easier than Cisco.

It took two to three days to deploy. We had a technician from our company to deploy the solution for our customer.

We did not implement this solution through a vendor. It was done through our Technicians.

What other advice do I have?

We are system integrators and we propose solutions for our clients.

From what I read in Gartner Magic Quadrant, Aruba Switches rank highly.

It's a good solution.

IT Director at a government
Very reliable and easy to use but could have a better dashboard
  • "The solution is very reliable. It's easy to use with other solutions."
  • "The interface could be more user-friendly and the dashboard could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our IT infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very reliable. It's easy to use with other solutions.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be adjusted.

The interface could be more user-friendly and the dashboard could be improved.

I've been using the solution for six years.

Now and then there tend to be issues if we have a virtual stack. If there's a power failure, the switches come up at different times. This means we have to shut down the stack and then put them up in a proper way. Otherwise, we will have issues with the IP and those kinds of things. I should note that I've only seen this issue with the virtual stack.

The solution is scalable enough. The product itself is fantastic; I've had no issues with scalability. Currently, we have about 700 people using the technology.

The solution's technical support is okay. I would prefer more engagements around new products and roadmaps, however.

I've never used a different solution. At a previous company, we worked with Cisco switches, which I thought were good until I came to this job and saw you could get a cheaper solution that was just as good.

My network is segmented, however, it's not too complex. The last refresh we did was 2016 and that took us two days over a weekend.

We had a provider that assisted us with the implementation.

The pricing is decent. It's less expensive than Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

We use both the cloud and on-premises deployment models.

I would recommend the solution, especially if you are on a tight budget and are looking for a no-nonsense product.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

AmrIssa - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Information Officer at mobica
Good GUI, easy to configure and use, and offers a good transfer rate
  • "Aruba access points have a good transfer rate."
  • "They should provide training courses for certification, and have it available on the internet."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for access points. You can look at any site and take the static ID, or the real ID. It's similar to VPN.

With the access point, you take the real ID and install it in the controller, you then access the site with this access point.

We are interior designers and we have many showroom sites, we use the Aruba controller. We have twenty-five Aruba Switches with fifteen to twenty access points.

We are using the 205 and 215 series. The bandwidth is 1gHz.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the controller and the access points. Aruba access points have a good transfer rate.

It is powerful for the internet, the GUI is good, the configuration is very good, and it is very easy to use. In contrast, the Cisco configuration does not have a GUI.

Aruba has many features that are very good.

What needs improvement?

Managing Aruba Switches is not as good as Cisco Controller.

The switch needs to be bigger than it is now. Increasing the number of gigabytes in the switch would improve the switch interacting. You can download the DBS or the datasheet to see the switch interacting.

The switch interacting is the transfer of data from the port to the switch.

They should provide training courses for certification, and have it available on the internet.

They need to increase marketing for their products, especially for the solutions that are stable and very hard working. They should plan an event to market this solution.

Aruba could consider opening a training center for engineering, or IT students.

A suggestion would be to see the unit have a configuration switch like SMTP to send an email to the users if the performance is delayed or down. That would be very useful.

In the command line, we can configure in SMTP to send an email alert to the user and the support worldwide, so that they can know about the problem before it happens.

I have been using this solution for approximately four years.

This solution is very stable.

We have two ways to do the configuration. There are the standard way and Care. If you configure Care, we have a controller and things are fine.

We can deploy the configuration by the controller appliance. The access point can be made into a controller.

The solution is scalable.

With many ports, we blended for the first time and we did not face any problems.

You have to have a plan to expand or increase to a table or other devices.

The technical support is okay, I would rate them a four out of five.

We had some issues with resetting the password, it requires a special technique, there is some reconfiguration involved.

The guide on the internet is very helpful and easy. You can do a specific search on the internet describing the error or the problem and you will get a very simple, easy, and quick answer.

We have a client who has a nine-story apartment building and in our design, and we researched the internet for different access points.

We presented the client with Cisco and TriCom, but our customer was not satisfied. We then introduced Aruba to the client and he was satisfied with the performance and our design.

The initial setup is straightforward. It only took fifteen minutes to deploy.

It depends on the number of VLAN, or if there are any rules in the switch. This is all according to the configuration and the settings.

We have three engineers helping with the deployment.

We did not use a vendor team to implement this solution. We did it ourselves.

This solution is not cheap and they don't have a plan to certify it as Cisco does. Cisco is a famous vendor with options for certification.

Aruba does not have a certified license in ARC and CNV. Their certification is for the marketing of the device in Cisco.

The license is annual. If you purchase a switch, you get a one-year free subscription.

Aruba has better pricing than Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

We used and configured Tricom Switches. HP merged with Tricom and the company after that Aruba merged with HP.

The switch became very different, it is good and has a different configuration.

We have had a few problems in our company, we have had some conflicts in the configuration.

Aruba was the first company to introduce access points, as far back as ten years ago.

It's a good product, but it's not equal to Cisco. It's better. I compare it with Cisco and Aruba is a better switch. With Cisco,  you buy the name, history, and global branding.

If an engineer or any company ask me about network solutions, I recommend Aruba.

I have some concerns because not many engineers write on the command line in Aruba. Not many engineers know the solution, unlike Cisco, which is well known in the education industry and on the market.

If you can configure the Aruba Switch for the very first time without any issues, then you are a very good engineer, you know the solution.

Aruba Access points, controller, and performance are the best!

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

FrankStevens - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It is now even more scalable than before, and the setup is easy and straightforward

What is most valuable?

I find all the special switches really valuable.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the data center area improving by some added features in the future.

The solution is very stable.

Well, now with the new switches it's even more scalable than before. So with the 6400 switches it's one complete set of switches these days.

The setup was done by our engineering department, but I have heard that it's easy.

What other advice do I have?

I will rate this solution an eight out of ten at least. I would like to see some additional features to be included in the next release, and I would like more data center functionality for our data center people.

Hamed Wasel - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Security Network Engineer at Children's Cancer Hospital - Egypt 57357
A Stable Access Point Solution with Smart Rate Ports
  • "The most valuable feature is the Aruba Smart Rate Port."
  • "The templates to automate our switches need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use four Aruba Switches, in one stack, for 802.1X.

We use Aruba Switches mainly as access points.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Aruba Smart Rate Port.

What needs improvement?

The templates to automate our switches need improvement.

We apply a template using Bison or ANSI C to automate our tasks daily.

We are using Bison and ANSI C programming language to automate our work for shutting down ports, and if the support has locked our shutdown with port security.

Cisco has Nexus Switches for the Data Center solutions. These switches are very powerful. In my research, I haven't found anything that is comparable.

In the next release or the near future, I would like similar Data Cente switches included.

I have been using this solution for one year.

Aruba Switches are very stable when you are using the full solution.

Aruba Switches are still in the testing phase.

We haven't tested the scalability for this solution yet, but there is another building that we are expanding to and we expect it to scale there.

We have approximately one thousand users.

We have not had any issues with this solution so we have not opened any tickets with technical support.

We were using other switches by Aruba prior to these. We stayed with Aruba to maintain compatibility.

The initial setup of this solution is very simple.

When we implemented the solution, we called a vendor to support us.

We have an in house assistant who configured the solution, but we had a vendor here to support us if we needed it.

We configured all of our switches to gain the experience.

I have also used Cisco switches and they are harder to set up.

What other advice do I have?

I received training on this solution from HP, here in Egypt.

I strongly recommend Aruba Switches with Aruba products for compatibility. If you use Cisco or other solutions, it may cause some issues with the stability of the environment.

CTO at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Integrates well with ClearPass, is stable and has excellent technical support
  • "The solution's stability is really great. We found it very solid."
  • "The written documentation, all the available documentation, is often a little bit hard to find. The solution lacks documentation, especially on recent features. We have access directly to Aruba, Germany, so they are always helpful, but if you start, for instance, with something a little bit more complex like zero-touch provisioning, that would require a more comprehensive written piece."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for extra switches on campuses and consecutive exchange of existing access switches.

How has it helped my organization?

The zero-touch provisioning made it possible for electricians to install and wire the switches that allows for the continuation with the zero touch provisioning mechanism afterward. It has really helped us to save our manpower within the network support group.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is that it integrates with ClearPass, which allows us to use the same management for wireless LAN and wired LAN.

What needs improvement?

The written documentation, all the available documentation, is often a little bit hard to find. The solution lacks documentation of recent features. We have access directly to Aruba, Germany, so they are always helpful, but if you start, for instance, with something a little bit more complex like zero-touch provisioning, that would require a more comprehensive written piece.

The available REST API is invaluable for elegant integration with the core and distribution network.

There are some new multicast features coming up, but they are just in the process of preparation by IEEE, and I would like to see them as soon as possible.

I've been using the solution for a few months.

The solution's stability is really great. We found it very solid.

The scalability of the solution is good. With the management of ClearPass, it's great. We've been using the feature of building stacks with it, and its really, really easy to handle a large scale environment.

Technical support has been great. Together with the consultant, we set up a regular phone call with Aruba to discuss the issues surrounding setting up the whole system. They always came up with quick solutions, called us back and they've been really, really helpful overall.

We previously used Brocade. The switches portion of the organization was bought by Extreme Networks. The company broke down, which is why we had to switch. The hardware of Brocade was brilliant, but at some point, the development and the stability of firmware lacked, since developers may have moved on before the company broke down.

The setup is mostly straightforward. Deployment, together with the WiFi, took about a month. We had three people on our side assisting with the implementation and have three people currently handling maintenance.

We did the initial set up with the help of a service provider of Aruba. We wrote templates and did the first template with the service provider, who was experienced and was really helpful.

With their assistance, the experience was optimal. We had been really late with our decision to purchase Aruba and we, with the help of the consultants, have since been able to bring up the whole system in time so that the existing schedule for opening the hospital was never endangered.

We just had all the licenses for five years included in the bidding process. Since the competitive nature of the resulting contract, our actual costs might not reflect the standard market prices. Due to the visibilityof our project, Aruba has been generous with the included amount of licenses, which will serve us for years to come.

As a public hospital we are obliged to implement a public bidding process. We had been in discussions with many companies, including, for example, Cisco.

In the end, it came down to financial issues. Once you have your requirements fixed, every Vendor has the chance to give you a proper offer through ist sales channel. With all the requirements, including for example common management of wired and wireless access, WLAN integrated Bluetooth capabilities  Cisco failed to meet the offer of Aruba.

What other advice do I have?

We've been implementing, with the help of Aruba, with zero-touch provisioning in a newly opened hospital. Roughly 450 switches have been put into operation using zero-touch provisioning (ZTP). It was challenging;  even Aruba probably hadn't done such a large scale project before using ZTP.

In terms of advice, I'd say if you are entering the next stage of switch hardware, of network hardware, just have a look at Aruba. It's really, really helpful having an open API to use Python or other script languages to modify configurations and to automate exchange of state changes with neighbouring structures.

We try to keep as close as possible to standards. There are some areas where standards aren't available, for instance stacking of network Access switches, whre no vendor-independent standards is existing yet. So look at the whole package including the switch hardware, the licenses, the license for management and bear in mind the transceivers.

When using Aruba switches, stick with the automation tools, don't let yourself be seduced into going back to manual configuration.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. They would be perfect, but there's a noise once they are on under heavy load in a warm environment. It might be the case that they are not usable for installations where the loudness damping between the installation room and office is not sufficient.

Centralized Management that need improvements in the Visibility and Control
  • "There is a limited lifetime warranty with the switches, so if we have any problems, the switch is replaced very quickly."
  • "I am forced to consider changing products because other solutions have a better dashboard and a user-friendly interface."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for Network connection and centralized monitoring and troubleshooting.

What is most valuable?

The switching configuration is very simple and not as complicated as Cisco. It's easy to do and the deployment is very quick.

When it comes to RMA, the replacement of Aruba parts is very good, and they are very prompt.

There is a limited lifetime warranty with the switches, so if we have any problems, the switch is replaced very quickly. As an example, if I call in the morning, by tomorrow I will receive a box with the replacement.

What needs improvement?

Visibility and controls need to be improved. When I compare the Aruba switch with Meraki, Meraki has more visibility and more controls.

HPE Aruba has not done any development and research on the SD LAN. They may have another solution for the SD LAN.

Aruba should have SD LAN features to provide more visibility on the network and to be able to control things like the traffic shifting or for voice or data. Currently, Aruba does not have this capability.

It may be there, but it's tedious.

In the next release or the very near future, I think that it is very important to simplify the dashboard and features similar to Meraki. Meraki has a good dashboard and the way they are presenting the information is very useful.

I am forced to consider changing products because other solutions have a better dashboard and a user-friendly interface. Other solutions also have better control and visibility.

I have been using this solution for seven years.

This solution is quite stable. To date, we have not had any complaints.

We have our HP IMC (Intelligence Management Center), which is a centralized management control center where I can monitor all of the switches. I can monitor the health of the network appliances, and the CPUs main process. Everything.

This solution is scalable.

We have not had to contact technical support. We handle the issues with our in-house resources.

I have experience with Cisco Meraki switches.

The initial setup is very easy.

The implementation and configuration are not that difficult.

If you have ten to fifteen switches it can take a day. You have to stack it, then put them all together, complete the configuration, the hardening, and the testing, that is a complete full day, eight hours.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product.

I would rate this product a seven out of ten.

Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
An easy-to-use solution for SME and SMB, but the stability needs to be improved
  • "This solution is easy to use."
  • "The firmware in this solution has a lot of bugs that become noticeable when you have complex implementations."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we supply to our customers. We have deployed several different models.

This solution is suitable for SME and SMB, mainly in the hospitality industry.

What is most valuable?

This solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

We have issues with the stability of this product.

One of the issues with Aruba switches has to do with part numbers. For example, in the 9230F series, there are a lot of part numbers with lots of interface names that make the user confused as to which one he can use for the future. Some switches have only a 1Gbs uplink while others have only a 10Gbs uplink, and there are no clear details which one has which interface. The difference comes when you look at the pricing. Having less confusing part numbers would be an improvement.

We have been using this solution for about ten years.

I have found that the chassis-based switches are scalable but the standard modular switches are not.

In my country, they do not have a strong technical support team. However, I was satisfied with the support.

For basic deployments, the initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

I prefer the ICX switches from Ruckus over this solution.

We supply both Ruckus and Aruba solutions to our customers, but regarding stability, future upgrades, and scalability, we prefer Ruckus over Aruba. We have deployed Ruckus with fewer headaches after finalizing the deployments. I open perhaps five cases in a year with Ruckus and I can open ten tickets or ten cases with Aruba.

What other advice do I have?

We prefer Ruckus solutions over Aruba, whether they are wired or wireless.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Alfred_Pullicino - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at Genesis Global
Enables me to be anywhere and still see the network traffic, network boards and I can do configuration changes to the switches
  • "The cloud configuration is the most valuable feature of this solution. Watching in the cloud, propagating the actual devices themselves and the management of devices that are remote."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see network access control on the switches themselves. I would like to see security functionalities when it comes to monitoring the bit of the wireless section of the switches."

What is our primary use case?

We have the switches on-premises but we also use the private cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

I've got two different remote offices and after deploying Aruba I can manage the network without any problems because it's publicly available. I can be anywhere and still see the network traffic. I can see the network boards and I can do configuration changes to the switches as long as I have a secured account with Aruba Network.

What is most valuable?

The cloud configuration is the most valuable feature of this solution. Watching in the cloud, propagating the actual devices themselves and the management of devices that are remote is valuable.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see network access control on the switches themselves. I would like to see security functionalities when it comes to monitoring the bit of the wireless section of the switches.

I have been using Aruba Switches for the last four months.

It is very stable compared to what I was previously using.

Scalability is one of the reasons why I went for Aruba. It seems to be one of the top vendors in providing cloud solutions and quite stable when it comes to upscaling and improving the existing environment.

We have around 250 users. We require two to three staff members for the maintenance.

We turn to our integrator for support.

We switched from our previous solution because we wanted to have a robust level grade of equipment.

The level of complexity of the setup is relative to your environment. Deployment took about a month and a half. If we had to include the design stage and other things then it was probably about two to four months in total.

We used a local integrator for the deployment. We had a positive experience with them.

Licensing costs are on a yearly basis.

We also evaluated Cisco Meraki. I did not choose Meraki because of the licensing model. If for some reason you don't renew the subscription, you lose the network and the configuration. With Aruba it's a different story. If you stop your support, you still own your own network so that was one of the major differences.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution is to play it out before and choose whoever has the better solution.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Not a ten out of ten because there were some major issues like configuration conflicts and by the time we got to solve them, it was a bit of a nightmare until we got it up and running. But there will always be some teething problems. There were problems while implementing until we sorted things out and until it started stabilizing itself. It was either a question of the switch temporarily disconnecting from the internet so it couldn't connect to Aruba Central for the configuration. You can do a configuration but it is accepted as a configuration and it doesn't tell you, for example, what a particular error or something like that is.

Download our free Aruba Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: August 2022