IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Appium OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Appium is #5 ranked solution in top Mobile Development Platforms. PeerSpot users give Appium an average rating of 8 out of 10. Appium is most commonly compared to Selenium HQ: Appium vs Selenium HQ. Appium is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.

Download the Mobile Development Platforms Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Appium?
Appium is an open-source tool for automating native, mobile web, and hybrid applications on iOS and Android platforms. Native apps are those written using the iOS or Android SDKs. Mobile web apps are web apps accessed using a mobile browser (Appium supports Safari on iOS and Chrome or the built-in 'Browser' app on Android). Hybrid apps have a wrapper around a "webview" -- a native control that enables interaction with web content. Projects like Phonegap, make it easy to build apps using web technologies that are then bundled into a native wrapper, creating a hybrid app. Importantly, Appium is "cross-platform": it allows you to write tests against multiple platforms (iOS, Android), using the same API. This enables code reuse between iOS and Android testsuites.
Appium Customers
Nuvizz, Coupa Software, Eventbrite, Evernote
Appium Video

Appium Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Appium pricing:
  • "Appian is open-source, which is not licensed."
  • "The solution is free."
  • "The pricing of Appium is fine."
  • Appium Reviews

Jayanta Kar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Automation and Nft Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Open-source, scalable, easy to use, and easy to install with good community documentation
    • "It's an open-source solution with a very large community and available documentation."
    • "Stability is an area that needs some improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use Appium and Appium Studio as our base for any type of mobile automation. We are using Appium on-premises for scripting purposes.  Our automation testers download Appium for their scripting.

How has it helped my organization?

Mobile app based test automation and Mobile handset experience based telecom scenarios has been automated using appium. This has helped to increase testing efficiency

What is most valuable?

The interface for mobile automation is helpful for scripting and execution. It's scalable and there are many testers who would like to automate. In terms of scripting, scalability is very good. It's an open-source solution with a very large community and available documentation. Appium Inspector helps in identifying the elements very easily.  The ease of converting is good because it's an open-source solution. The programming language is Java, which is easy to consolidate. It also supports Python. It is very easy to work with, distribute, and consolidate on a rapid basis.

What needs improvement?

Stability is an area that needs some improvement. During execution, the Appium Studio experiences some intermittent disconnection. There are some paid solutions available on the market that have AI included with self healing, which means with changes in application script would detect automatically. The software is smart enough to show you unexpected changes. It can show you the options to change certain element locator which has changed with recent build. Maybe this additional feature can be added as a paid feature in future.
    Mobile Development Platforms
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Appium, Microsoft, Salesforce and others in Mobile Development Platforms. Updated: June 2022.
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Appium for more than one year.

There at times during the execution where there are a high number of test scripts that are being initiated, and during that time the Appian Studio gets disconnected. We then have to restart to continue the flow.

Appian is a scalable solution that is being used almost every day, extensively. We have approximately 30 people developing, executing, and using Appian. They are made up of automation engineers and DevOps-related who are developing and executing, and we have our team for test executing.

The community is very helpful. If you run into an issue, you can easily resolve it with the community documentation, where similar issues are being discussed.

It's easy to install Appium.  When we work with Android and iOS, it is common to have to install other products such as APK as a pre-requisite for mobile app.

We have an automation team to complete the installation and implementation of Appian. We did not use a vendor team.

ROI is good due to ease of scalability.

Appium is open-source, which is not licensed.

We had evaluated two other solutions. For certain tools scripting was easy in Android, but for iOS, there are additional requirements such as instrumentation. This would set us back. We want to use something that is consistent throughout the various OS. They are also paid software, with additional features that are an extra fee. It wouldn't justify the ROI. Most of the testing that we do requires testing in both Android and iOS. We chose Appium for the scalability and the ease of automation for both Android and iOS. Appium is a good choice, it's standard. We can use most of the scripts.

What other advice do I have?

Appium, Appium Studio, and Appium Inspector are from the same product family. Appium is the biggest user base that we have today in terms of open-source. It's not difficult to find a solution when we talk about the maintenance of the scripts. If you are looking for fast scripting and self-healing features, there are other solutions available that you have to pay for. I would definitely recommend it in cases where you are using integration automation, you have a relaxed timeline, and stability is the main factor. I would rate Appium an eight out of ten.

Head of Solutions Delivery (Systems) at a wellness & fitness company with 51-200 employees
    Reduces manual testing efforts through automation
    • "Obviously because of automation, it reduces manual testing efforts."
    • "We haven't been able to fully leverage Appium for multiple reasons. I think number one is just that the tests take a long time to run. We have had some issues around just the results themselves and how predictable they are, but those are not issues with Appium directly."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is deployed on cloud. The cloud provider is AWS.

There are about 30 people using this solution. They're primarily automation testers.

What is most valuable?

Obviously because of automation, it reduces manual testing efforts.

What needs improvement?

We haven't been able to fully leverage Appium for multiple reasons. I think number one is just that the tests take a long time to run. We have had some issues around just the results themselves and how predictable they are, but those are not issues with Appium directly. It's helped us to uncover issues that we otherwise wouldn't have known about.

The challenge we have with Appium is we're currently writing the tests in Java, and it does make it difficult because now you need to find automation testers with a Java skillset. That's why we were looking at other tools like Eggplant that would allow us to automate mobile testing through easier mechanisms, like being able to record a manual test and automatically generate the test script for it. We're looking at faster automation and making automation more accessible to their technical people.

I have been using this solution for about five years.

The scalability is good.

We're planning on increasing usage in the future, or we're going to swap to something different. Right now, we are looking at tools that can generate Appium scripts for us, so tools like TestProject and Kobiton and so on. They can generate Appium scripts by looking at manual recordings of manual tests.

Setup was fairly straightforward. We completed deployment within a week.

We used a third party for the initial setup.

The solution is free.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

There are lots of newer tools on the markets that make testing easier. My advice is to look at alternatives, not necessarily alternatives to Appium, but at least alternatives to generating Appium scripts.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Mobile Development Platforms
    June 2022
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Quality and Testing Services Leader at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Value found in the configuration and interface

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting company. Appium is an open-source library. We use Appium in our platform for optimizing mobile testing. For our company, Appium's similarity with Selenium is important as we use Selenium.

We have three users using this solution.

What is most valuable?

I find the configuration and interface of Appium valuable. Appium has easy interaction with mobile.

What needs improvement?

When doing mobile testing Appium is difficult as you can't use it for mobile testing in virtual machines. You need to have a physical machine. If Appium could manage this problem, and if it had more facility for configuration it would be a spectacular solution.

We have been using Appium for two years.

Technical support has been fine.

Appium is not easy to setup, it has a degree of complexity.

The pricing of Appium is fine.

We evaluated Micro Focus.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an 8 out of 10.

Download our free Mobile Development Platforms Report and find out what your peers are saying about Appium, Microsoft, Salesforce, and more!
    Updated: June 2022