AppDynamics Server Monitoring OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AppDynamics Server Monitoring is the #42 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give AppDynamics Server Monitoring an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. AppDynamics Server Monitoring is most commonly compared to Datadog: AppDynamics Server Monitoring vs Datadog. AppDynamics Server Monitoring is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 29% of all views.
AppDynamics Server Monitoring Buyer's Guide

Download the AppDynamics Server Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is AppDynamics Server Monitoring?

Application-centric server monitoring in context of your business transactions to proactively isolate and resolve application performance issues faster with actionable, correlated application-server metrics.

AppDynamics Server Monitoring Customers

Sony, DirecTV, UBS, The Container Store, The Neta Porter Group, Nasdaq, Cisco, eHarmony, Hallmark, Overstock, Expedia

AppDynamics Server Monitoring Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AppDynamics Server Monitoring pricing:
  • "The pricing for AppDynamics Server Monitoring in Africa and the Middle East is too expensive, so it's very hard to sell it to customers. If there could be different pricing or package for the region, that would be great. My company pays for the license of AppDynamics Server Monitoring on a per-agent, per-server basis. It's $700 to $1000 per server, and it's paid annually. My company is on a subscription model for the solution. On a scale of one to five, where one is expensive and five is cheap, my rating for the price of AppDynamics Server Monitoring is a two."
  • "The solution has a high cost."
  • AppDynamics Server Monitoring Reviews

Founder at Art World Web Solutions
    Has a straightforward setup, with good alerting and triggering features; technical support was responsive and knowledgeable
    • "The event alerting feature or the trigger system is what I like most about AppDynamics Server Monitoring. Whenever an issue occurs, the tool automatically generates an even trigger that tells engineers in the company to take action, so it's an essential feature of AppDynamics Server Monitoring. Another valuable feature of the tool is end-to-end monitoring, which means if you need to debug, you can go transaction by transaction, where the issue lies, and how it's linked. For example, if it's a low-performance issue, you can look into it more through AppDynamics Server Monitoring in terms of which area takes too much time to execute. You can also see the SQL queries and the kind of query going on through the tool."
    • "An area for improvement in AppDynamics Server Monitoring is integration; in particular, it needs a better way to integrate with custom applications such as Siebel CRM. Right now, it's challenging to integrate AppDynamics Server Monitoring with Siebel CRM because it sometimes gives an error and cannot integrate properly."

What is our primary use case?

My company uses AppDynamics Server Monitoring for server monitoring and end-to-end monitoring. The tool has an event alerting mechanism that lets people within the company know when any server is down so that you can raise a ticket, and the support team can work on that ticket.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see more details about each issue in the next release of AppDynamics Server Monitoring. For example, there's a server issue, and my team wants to identify the response time over SQL, but that detail is lacking. If AppDynamics could add slow query logs to AppDynamics Server Monitoring, that would be good.

Another feature I'd like the tool to have is the segregation of requests based on user sessions, for example, having a session ID, so it's easier to identify which session has an issue and needs solving and information on any transaction performed for that particular session. This feature would make integration in AppDynamics Server Monitoring easier.

I've been using AppDynamics Server Monitoring for almost eight years now.

AppDynamics Server Monitoring
    December 2022
    Learn what your peers think about AppDynamics Server Monitoring. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

AppDynamics Server Monitoring is a stable product.

AppDynamics Server Monitoring is a scalable product.

The technical support team for AppDynamics Server Monitoring is responsive and knowledgeable, so I like the support provided. Sometimes, it just takes time for the support team to solve custom application issues because that requires looking into the custom application details, the error behind the application, where's the plug to integrate, how to use the interface, etc.

My team contacts support every day. My team is happy with the support, but the only room for improvement is the time it takes for the AppDynamics Server Monitoring technical support team to resolve the issue. It could be faster because my team has set deadlines for integrating and making custom applications work.

I'd give AppDynamics Server Monitoring technical support a four out of five. The response time is good, but the resolution time needs improvement.

My team did a POC with Datadog. AppDynamics Server Monitoring is one of the best tools because it instantly gives you integration details, and you can integrate it more quickly than other solutions. For example, integrating Datadog took a lot longer because it required more steps and more levels to reach to complete the integration.

Initially, the setup process for AppDynamics Server Monitoring was straightforward. It was pretty easy, but when you go deeper into end-to-end monitoring, for example, it gets a little complicated because you need to integrate with your JDK and Java applications and pass on the logs. Setting up the RAM and the initial setup of AppDynamics Server Monitoring, it's easy, but as you go deeper, then it becomes complex.

I'm rating the initial setup for AppDynamics Server Monitoring as five on a scale of one to five because it was pretty easy.

We set up AppDynamics Server Monitoring in-house.

I cannot give information on the pricing for AppDynamics Server Monitoring because I'm not involved. I'm on the integration and technical side.

AppDynamics Server Monitoring has a lot of competitors in the market, but I evaluated Datadog.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using a cloud product from AppDynamics for end-to-end monitoring called AppDynamics Server Monitoring.

Maintenance for AppDynamics Server Monitoring happens monthly. A team of five people does the patching for it.

A team of eight people works on AppDynamics Server Monitoring in terms of the initial integration, then another team will take charge, so I'm unable to give the exact number of users of the tool within the company.

My rating for AppDynamics Server Monitoring is nine out of ten because it's a good tool and only has minor areas for improvement.

Oan-Ali - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Architecture and DevOps at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Predictive notifications are on target but there should be better regional support
    • "The auto-discovery of the logs is the most valuable feature. It requires minimal configuration, we just need to set up on once and it automatically detects through the code."
    • "In the next release, I would like to see the configuration of the data and more support for new applications. It should support new languages."

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-premise deployment model of this solution.

Our primary use case of this solution is for monitoring our critical applications. The automated data dynamics enables us to monitor the performance of an application and unknowns.

How has it helped my organization?

A way that it has improved my organization is from its notifications. We can get notified on our mobile app. We get notified spontaneously for mission-critical applications. It notifies us that the incident is going to happen in the near future, it's a predictive notification. The notifications have been on target for us and have improved my organization.

What is most valuable?

The auto-discovery of the logs is the most valuable feature. It requires minimal configuration, we just need to set up on once and it automatically detects through the code.

What needs improvement?

The solution should be coupled with its own analytic elastic search analytic model. It should push that data to other data models so the organization does not have to spend separately or to spend more on the analytics part. If a bank or any organization has its own dashboarding solution it should be able to push the data to that dashboarding solution. This is not available right now.

I have been using AppDynamics for two years.

It's a fairly stable product and I would say that they are longer lived than new applications that have been on boarded.

Our entire command center is using this solution which is around 15 to 20 users.

Their technical support isn't great. The geographical distance and the response time it takes to respond to emails from the technical team is very slow.

For the setup, you need a good understanding of the solution and how it works so I would say it's not that simple. It's not that complex either but if you have the right people in place, it should have a medium level of complexity. For banks, it can be a little more complex because it needs to comply with a lot of security guidelines. If you're not in a banking environment, it should be more straightforward.

The setup took us around two to three weeks.

We consulted directly with AppDynamics for the implementation. The experience was good but the geographical distance was always an issue because we don't have local support available in the area. Otherwise, when the people were on the floor it was okay but when the people were not on the floor then definitely there were some problems there.

We have definitely seen an ROI. If you have a critical application that needs to be monitored you will see your indirect ROI within two to three years and you'll have the happy customers, not usual complaints.

You don't have to pay. You only pay for the implementation partners if you choose to get help.

What other advice do I have?

I would say be cautious on the licensing model. You should understand your exact needs. If your needs are in line with what this solution offers then I would genuinely recommend going for this solution, otherwise, if not, it might be too costly.

I think from the product perspective it's fine but on the implementation descriptions there are a lot of issues. It's challenging without support. If someone is looking into it they need to look for any local organization partners in their area.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    AppDynamics Server Monitoring
    December 2022
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    KERTAOUI KHALIL - PeerSpot reviewer
    Consultant Technique ECM/BPM at CBI
    Reseller
    Has a good interface and is easy to manipulate and quick to implement; provides quick technical support
    • "What I like most about AppDynamics Server Monitoring is that it's easy to manipulate and easy to implement. All solutions have the same features, but what sets AppDynamics Server Monitoring apart is that it's really quick to implement. AppDynamics Server Monitoring has a great interface. As a developer, it doesn't matter whether it's SolarWinds, Dynatrace, or any APM you're using, but it would matter to the customer. A product must be easy to manipulate or use, for example, AppDynamics Server Monitoring, for the customer, but for developers like my team, there's no pressure, even if a solution requires coding."
    • "AppDynamics Server Monitoring has room for improvement in terms of pricing. If the price could be cheaper, it would be great for both the customer and the integrator. What I'd like to see in the next release of AppDynamics Server Monitoring is a better dashboard for the customer. The dashboard should be more interactive."

What is our primary use case?

We're using AppDynamics Server Monitoring for the IT infrastructure and server of the customers.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about AppDynamics Server Monitoring is that it's easy to manipulate and easy to implement. All solutions have the same features, but what sets AppDynamics Server Monitoring apart is that it's really quick to implement.

AppDynamics Server Monitoring has a great interface. As a developer, it doesn't matter whether it's SolarWinds, Dynatrace, or any APM you're using, but it would matter to the customer. A product must be easy to manipulate or use, for example, AppDynamics Server Monitoring, for the customer, but for developers like my team, there's no pressure, even if a solution requires coding.

What needs improvement?

What I'd like to see in the next release of AppDynamics Server Monitoring is a better dashboard for the customer. The dashboard should be more interactive.

I've been using AppDynamics Server Monitoring for three years now.

AppDynamics Server Monitoring is a stable solution. Its stability is good.

AppDynamics Server Monitoring can be scaled up and down according to your needs, so it's a scalable solution.

I find the technical support for AppDynamics Server Monitoring interactive and quick. You can get support WebEx sessions, and if I would rate support from one to five, I'd give a five.

My company works with a lot of solutions as it's an integration provider. For example, I work with AppDynamics Server Monitoring, and a colleague works with SolarWinds. Another colleague works with Kubernetes. The team works with different monitoring solutions, including Nagios.

Setting up AppDynamics Server Monitoring is easy. It's not hard to implement. It's straightforward and quick, and even the architecture isn't that complex. The solution is easy to implement.

I'm rating the setup for AppDynamics Server Monitoring five out of five because it's very easy. Sometimes, you might find some difficulty, but the support team can help resolve that quickly.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the monitoring solution AppDynamics Server Monitoring.

My rating for AppDynamics Server Monitoring is nine out of ten.

My company is a reseller/integrator of AppDynamics Server Monitoring.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Integrator / Reseller
    Director, SRE at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Good monitoring tool with a straightforward setup, but the industry is shifting to newer cloud-native apps
    • "Setting up the monitoring agents was straightforward."
    • "Things are being done differently in the industry now, and many of these problems are being solved with cloud databases."

How has it helped my organization?

AppDynamics has been decommissioned over time for the newer cloud-native apps, and we have been using more apps. We primarily use a Google native holistic monitoring tool for tracing, capturing, log aggregation, annual infrastructure, and server monitoring. As our applications get modernized over time, we reassess our need to have various monitoring tools. To some extent, cloud-native tools solve a lot of these problems. When we are on-premises, we solve these problems with AppDynamics but things are being done differently in the industry now, and many of these problems are being solved with cloud databases.

We have been using this solution for five to six years. We have a hybrid model, and in the past, we tried to take these tools to cloud, but it was not well suited for our use cases. We were slowly and gradually trying to eliminate legacy items used on-premises.

It is a stable solution, but nothing is a hundred percent perfect, and there is always room for improvement.

We have a hosted application set up concerning the AppDynamics controller, and we don't have any scalability issues. We never even moved to the SAS-based model for AppDynamics, and we have our own hosted environment.

Setting up the monitoring agents was straightforward, and there was no hassle. I don't believe it requires a lot of maintenance.

I am not privy to details around the software product pricing, but if I compare AppDynamics Server Monitoring with JVM-based applications, it is a pretty good tool. Even compared to legacy apps such as .NET and ASP.net, AppDynamics is the right choice.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a seven out of ten. However, we currently lack distributed tracing, and we want to implement it going forward.

Head, Production Assurance and Customer Care at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Great visibility for tracking the origination and causes of issues

What is our primary use case?

Our company uses the solution to track abnormalities and check connections for critical applications.

We had the solution on-premises but recently moved it to the SaaS platform.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers great visibility that allows you to track where errors originated.

What needs improvement?

The solution's features could be more mobile friendly.

I have been using the solution for four years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is very scalable.

I have used technical support and rate it an eight out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The setup was easy.

It is difficult to quantify the amount of time needed for setup because ours depended on the development team's plans.

We implemented the solution in-house.

Although the solution is expensive, the ROI makes it more cost effective.

The solution has a high cost.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the solution because it is good for observability and drilling down to find the cause of issues.

I rate the solution an eight out of ten. My rating would go up if the solution were more mobile friendly and cost effective.

Other
    Download our free AppDynamics Server Monitoring Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: December 2022