AppDynamics Database Monitoring OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AppDynamics Database Monitoring is the #22 ranked solution in APM tools. PeerSpot users give AppDynamics Database Monitoring an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. AppDynamics Database Monitoring is most commonly compared to Dynatrace: AppDynamics Database Monitoring vs Dynatrace. AppDynamics Database Monitoring is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is AppDynamics Database Monitoring?

More than half of application performance bottlenecks originate in the database, but most application teams have little or no visibility into database performance. With AppDynamics' database performance management product, you get 100% visibility into application performance, from the browser to the database.

Key Benefits

• Visualize end-to-end application performance, from the browser to the database
  • Get alerts when database thresholds are violated
  • Monitor key performance metrics like top users, programs, SQL, objects and more.
  • See execution plans for slow SQL to isolate performance bottlenecks
AppDynamics Database Monitoring Customers

Sony, DirecTV, UBS, The Container Store, The Neta Porter Group, Nasdaq, Cisco, eHarmony, Hallmark, Overstock, Expedia

AppDynamics Database Monitoring Video

AppDynamics Database Monitoring Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AppDynamics Database Monitoring pricing:
  • "It could be a bit lower, but looking at the scalability, functionality, and other things, you can understand why AppDynamics is so expensive as compared to some of the cheaper products that don't have that full single pane of glass they've got. Dynatrace has got three different elements that you need to log into just to get a full view, which is not so good, and because of that, it is a bit cheaper."
  • "AppDynamics Database Monitoring requires a license for database monitoring and other features, while Dynatrace provides monitoring and other features out of the box without additional costs. Sometimes this makes it more challenging to pitch AppDynamics Database Monitoring to customers, especially because you need to buy a separate license. As an implementer, I have yet to learn about the pricing for AppDynamics Database Monitoring. Pricing is taken care of by the sales team."
  • "The license for AppDynamics is procured by our customers."
  • "The licensing scheme is very complex. They need to make it easier."
  • "We have a license-based solution. That means you need a license for each server you monitor."
  • "There is an annual cost for the use of this solution."
  • AppDynamics Database Monitoring Reviews

Senior Solutions Consultant at VNQ Systems
    Reseller
    Provides a single pane of glass to see where you need to focus, and the information is clearly visible and easy to navigate
    • "Knowing which tables on the database were working the most was valuable. It helped the client understand where they need to focus. They streamlined a lot of their queries and brought the resource usage down. It helped them to find long-running queries. They rewrote them completely so that they don't take as long and the application performs better."
    • "The synthetic scripting for end-user monitoring could be a little bit broader. Instead of using just Python, they can include a few other languages so that not everyone has to jump on the bandwagon for Python and do Selenium scripting. They can open up that a bit to make it simpler for people to do the scripting."

What is our primary use case?

We're a partner and reseller for AppDynamics. We had a bank that we had to monitor from start to finish. We did the bank, and I then moved on to another product, but one of my mates is still busy working with AppDynamics.

Most of it was on-prem. We did some product testing on the cloud, but the client at that stage didn't have much on the cloud. Connecting to a cloud was quite simple as well.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The synthetic scripting for end-user monitoring could be a little bit broader. Instead of using just Python, they can include a few other languages so that not everyone has to jump on the bandwagon for Python and do Selenium scripting. They can open up that a bit to make it simpler for people to do the scripting.

On the dashboarding side, it's very difficult to do dashboards on the database portion because they don't let you include a lot of the elements in dashboards. They should give a bit more functionality and add more views from the database side. Other than that, all the clients I've worked with are very happy with it. It had everything they needed. No one had any complaints. Only on the application portion, do people get very confused if they're not tech-savvy, but on the database side, you usually work with tech-savvy people. So, the database and the elements are great.

I have been using this solution since 2018 or so. It has been four years.

Application Performance Management (APM)
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about AppDynamics, Dynatrace, Amazon and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: November 2022.
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is very stable.

If you got the on-prem resource, it's very easy to scale out. If you have the full server resources that you need, scalability is very easy.

In terms of its usage, within the bank, its adoption was very difficult. People didn't adopt it very well, but in one of the telecoms, the adoption rate was very good. They had a team of two to three people managing close to 150 users. It was very straightforward to manage.

I have worked with an IBM solution previously. The main pro of AppDynamics Database Monitoring is user-friendliness. It was very easy to click around and say to the clients that this is what they need. It was all clearly visible and easy to navigate.

On the database side, it was very straightforward. I don't have a lot of database experience, but installing it on them was straightforward. It just takes the information from the sites, manipulates it, runs it as a query, creates the user, and gives it permissions. It is very easy. The only one I struggled with was the IBM Db2 because the bank had very strict permissions to get around, and that wasn't as easy.

It could be a bit lower, but looking at the scalability, functionality, and other things, you can understand why AppDynamics is so expensive as compared to some of the cheaper products that don't have that full single pane of glass they've got. Dynatrace has got three different elements that you need to log into just to get a full view, which is not so good, and because of that, it is a bit cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Consultant at QualityKiosk Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
    Stable, scalable, and has good technical support, but lacks support for newer technologies
    • "What I found valuable in AppDynamics Database Monitoring is good technical support. I also like that it's scalable and stable."
    • "AppDynamics Database Monitoring would be a better product if it could support new technology, such as cloud technology. Even Dynatrace lacks support for newer technologies."

What is most valuable?

What I found valuable in AppDynamics Database Monitoring is good technical support. I also like that it's scalable and stable.

What needs improvement?

I've been working with AppDynamics Database Monitoring for four to five years for my customers.

AppDynamics Database Monitoring is a stable product.

AppDynamics Database Monitoring is a scalable product.

AppDynamics Database Monitoring has good technical support.

The initial setup for AppDynamics Database Monitoring is not that complex, though it has specific prerequisites you'd need to fulfill. You'd need to collect some database credentials, so setting up AppDynamics Database Monitoring isn't complex and isn't as straightforward.

I've evaluated Dynatrace and have been working with it for ten years. Compared to other APM solutions, Dynatrace is far better, even in database monitoring. The database monitoring functionality is an out-of-the-box offering of Dynatrace, while in AppDynamics Database Monitoring, you have to pay a licensing fee. Dynatrace also has plug-ins that help you monitor databases.

What other advice do I have?

I'm working in an APM implementation company delivering APM solutions from Dynatrace, AppDynamics, New Relic, etc.

I'm mainly working with AppDynamics and Dynatrace tools, and my company has an APM tool still under development. I'm working with AppDynamics Database Monitoring.

My company has a mix of customers on AppDynamics Database Monitoring, small, medium, and large enterprises.

Compared to AppDynamics Database Monitoring, I'd go for Dynatrace because it has out-of-the-box features that don't require a separate license. Dynatrace also has a better interface and dashboard than AppDynamics Database Monitoring.

I'd advise anyone who wants to implement AppDynamics Database Monitoring to follow the documentation. It's a straightforward product to use.

My rating for AppDynamics Database Monitoring is seven out of ten.

My company is a partner of AppDynamics Database Monitoring.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner/ Implementer
    Application Performance Management (APM)
    November 2022
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Swapan Biswas - PeerSpot reviewer
    Associate Consultant at Tata Consultancy
    Provides visibility to all query times but technical support can take too long to resolve issues
    • "The most valuable feature of AppDynamics is that we can see all query times. If a particular query is taking too much time, we can alert it."
    • "The day-to-day activities should be less complicated so that anyone can manage it."

What is our primary use case?

I am the coordinator of the implementation of AppDynamics in our customers' companies.

What is most valuable?

For example, for a particular transaction, if it is related to the database we know that the slowness is coming from the database and can see the relevant details. In the application flow map, we are able to see that the flow is going to the database and how much time it is taking. We can understand if the database is responsible for the slowness or not. This also enables us to create a ticket.

What needs improvement?

AppDyanmics requires better technical people to support the solution. It is not as simple as just implementing and walking away. You need someone to maintain the solution. The day-to-day activities should be less complicated so that anyone can manage them. The administration should not be an overhead.

Our organization has been working with AppDynamics for more than six months.

AppDynamics Database Monitoring is stable.

The solution is scalable.

Customer service and support are okay. They are willing to help and were able to solve our concerns. However, some of the issues we raised took a long time to get the solution. Some issues took several months to resolve.

The initial setup of AppDynamics Database Monitoring is neither easy nor complex. Our database server is set up on-premise, so we needed to configure a few parameters. Once the database agent part is complete, then it is easy. We just needed to add the database one by one.

We worked very closely with AppDyanmics through the implementation. They helped us with the configuration. By working with them, we didn't face many technical glitches.

The entire implementation, not only for the database, took three months.

The license for AppDynamics is procured by our customers.

Prior to implementing AppDynamics, we did evaluate New Relic and Instana.

What other advice do I have?

If you are talking only from the database perspective, I would recommend AppDyanmics Database. It is very helpful because it gives you more insight.

Overall, I would rate AppDynamics Database Monitoring a seven out of 10.

Private Cloud
    Nuno Rosa - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Consultant at Infosys
    MSP
    Straightforward, performs well, and is easy to install
    • "AppDynamics is a good tool that offers excellent out-of-the-box dashboards and application topology."
    • "I believe they need to increase their level of visibility in the infrastructure, particularly in the infrastructure monitoring section, which currently lacks visibility."

What is our primary use case?

Because AppDynamics sells this as end-to-end visibility, there are no use cases in the databases. Use case applied to AppDynamics Brower Real-User Monitoring can be applied here as well. If the user experiences latency on its request, it's most likely because the database is effectively queuing the request. The same scenarios can apply.

What is most valuable?

The performance of AppDynamics Database Monitoring is good, I have not had any complaints.

AppDynamics Database Monitoring is straightforward, there is not a lot to it, it either monitors or it doesn't.

What needs improvement?

One of the key features that are missing is the ability to manage users centrally, which is a real pain when it does not happen. That is a feature that their main competitor has had for quite some time. I'm surprised they don't have it already.

I believe they need to increase their level of visibility in the infrastructure, particularly in the infrastructure monitoring section, which currently lacks visibility.

The license model is a bit complex. They should make it a little bit easier, which I believe they will do in the next quarter, or in the next two quarters. I also dislike it because it is based on CPU, which will increase the cost of deployment and licensing. They currently have a complex model and charge on a per-node basis. They plan to change this in the future to make it less complicated, but it will be more expensive because it will be done on a CPU basis rather than a node basis. And this is not good. I deducted one point for that.

We have been providing AppDynamics Database Monitoring for six years.

It is deployed both on the cloud, and on-premises.

The stability of AppDynamics Database Monitoring is fine.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The time it takes to deploy an agent varies depending on the customer and the application, but it can take up to 15 minutes.

The licensing scheme is very complex. They need to make it easier.

What other advice do I have?

AppDynamics is a good tool that offers excellent out-of-the-box dashboards and application topology. Even for their competitors, their current technology is unrivaled in these two areas.

I would rate AppDynamics Database Monitoring an eight out of ten.

Infrastructure Architect -Application Dynamics at Kyndryl
    A database monitoring solution that provides a comprehensive overview of enterprise data
    • "The good thing with AppDynamics Databases is that it will give you a pretty good overview of the data, all the database-like tables, long-running queries, jobs running on the databases, and the queries that are taking more time. So, it's at a deeper level with all the database functionalities, and you will get that information. So, it's a pretty good tool in that sense."
    • "It could be more user-friendly for beginners."

What is our primary use case?

We are using many business applications, and the backend databases are very critical for them. So, everybody's using AppDynamics Database Monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The good thing with AppDynamics Databases is that it will give you a pretty good overview of the data, all the database-like tables, long-running queries, jobs running on the databases, and the queries that are taking more time. So, it's at a deeper level with all the database functionalities, and you will get that information. So, it's a pretty good tool in that sense.

What needs improvement?

It could be more user-friendly for beginners.

I have been using AppDynamics Database Monitoring for six months.

AppDynamics Database Monitoring is relatively stable.

AppDynamics Database Monitoring is a scalable solution. We are monitoring over 200 applications.

Technical support is okay.

On a scale from one to five, I would give technical support a four.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is straightforward. The thing is, it has some prerequisites. That means you need to get some prerequisite access. Once the database team is done, it's pretty easy to configure. You can deploy this solution within an hour or two.

We have a license-based solution. That means you need a license for each server you monitor.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that AppDynamics Database Monitoring is not just for database monitoring. If you need to monitor your entire application stack, for example, you need to monitor how that website is performing at the backend or how applications are performing. Infrastructure monitoring means everything has to be monitored and is offered in the bundles.

That's what AppDynamics does. It's like an application performance monitoring solution. If you need to monitor all this and use all these capabilities, then AppDynamics is a very good solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give AppDynamics Database Monitoring an eight.

Private Cloud
    lebohang-motloung - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Team Lead at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Quick installation, good interface, and user-friendly
    • "I have found some of the valuable features of AppDynamics Database Monitoring to be once the installation is complete, you are able to quickly start receiving metrics, which is great. The user interface is also very user-friendly."
    • "I have found it sometimes a bit difficult to trace the transaction all the way through to the application. I'm not sure if that problem is on the database side or on the application side, but that would be something that I would like to be improved. The traceability from the application to the database, sometimes, is a bit of a challenge. If you're using AppDynamics, with the Java agent, for instance, you need to be able to trace it through."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using AppDynamics Database Monitoring on-premise but we are migrating to the cloud.

We are using AppDynamics Database Monitoring to understand where the long queries are, and how your applications are performing against the database. You can actually see whether it's a database issue or if it's an application issue. Additionally, you can run explain plans against it, to see which queries need to be optimized.

What is most valuable?

I have found some of the valuable features of AppDynamics Database Monitoring to be once the installation is complete, you are able to quickly start receiving metrics, which is great. The user interface is also very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I have found it sometimes a bit difficult to trace the transaction all the way through to the application. I'm not sure if that problem is on the database side or on the application side, but that would be something that I would like to be improved. The traceability from the application to the database, sometimes, is a bit of a challenge. If you're using AppDynamics, with the Java agent, for instance, you need to be able to trace it through.

I have been using AppDynamics Database Monitoring for approximately six years.

The solution is highly stable.

We have more than 100 people using the solution in my organization. We have plans to increase the usage of the solution in the future.

The installation is easy. It would take about an hour and a half maximum to do the installation because you need connectivity to the database itself. It was more a connectivity problem than it was an actual APM installation issue.

I am able to do the installation myself.

There is an annual cost for the use of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate AppDynamics Database Monitoring an eight out of ten.

Senior Performance Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Fast and stable monitoring for effective issue resolution but needs networking monitoring functionality

What is our primary use case?

We use the product for enterprise-level monitoring, everything from application to database monitoring. The product will tell you everything. It will show you at the code level where the issue is. For example, the solution will analyze a database and it will tell you which of the CPUs are taking more time to execute, showing exactly where the issue is.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to find issues fast and resolve them.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful to have a dashboard and artificial intelligence for error detection and correlation for future releases.

I have been using the product for six years.

It is a stable product in my experience.

Their support is really good.

The setup was straightforward. It is easy to install, it took about half an hour.

We deployed the solution ourselves. We used one technical person to analyze the solution for deployment but then we did not need any technical assistance afterwards, it is pretty straight forward to understand.

The networking monitor function could be better, we are not getting many details from it.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to use and not difficult to configure. I would definitely recommend the solution, I have been working with it for the last five to six years. It's a really good product.

I rate AppDynamics Database Monitoring a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Senior Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    A good tool for application monitoring that is easy to configure, but can have stability issues
    • "The most valuable feature in this solution, for our business, is the clear way of projecting the connections between the database and the traffic inflow. This is very helpful when troubleshooting issues."
    • "This product has an issue with initial lag upon opening that we would like to see improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product for application monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature in this solution, for our business, is the clear way of projecting the connections between the database and the traffic inflow. This is very helpful when troubleshooting issues.

We have also found that including additional features into this solution is straightforward and easy to do.

What needs improvement?

We would also like the capability to open multiple sessions of this product in a browser at the same time.

We have been working with this solution for two to three years.

We have found the stability of this product to be an occasional issue during our time working with it.

We have found this to be a scalable solution.

The technical support team are quick, and respond immediately when we have raised issues. We have found them to be very knowledgeable whenever we have contacted them.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup of this solution was fairly easy.

What other advice do I have?

Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about AppDynamics, Dynatrace, Amazon, and more!
    Updated: November 2022