Akana API Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Akana API Management?

Akana helps businesses accelerate digital transformation by securely extending their reach across multiple channels – mobile, cloud and Internet of Things. Akana enables enterprises to share data as APIs, connect and integrate applications, drive partner adoption, monetize their assets, and provide intelligent insights into their business and operations.

Akana API Management Customers

British American Tobacco, Credit Suisse, Daimler, eBay, FOX, Liberty Mutual, Marriott, Mayo Clinic, Skandia, Tata communications

Akana API Management Video

Archived Akana API Management Reviews (more than two years old)

Assistant Vice President at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Intuitive solution with good interface; currently lacks an integrated billing feature
  • "Good interface, intuitive solution."
  • "Lacks an integrated billing feature."

What is most valuable?

The interface is good. The policies that it uses as opposed to the features that it has in terms of security and the throughput management and those aspects, are intuitive. There's also the ease of use.

What needs improvement?

The product currently doesn't have a feature for integrated billing, so it's on the monitors or EPS, it's something they could add as an additional feature. The other thing is perhaps a SaaS version of Akana would also help.

I've been using this solution for a few months.

I haven't seen it in production yet, so I can't comment on stability.

API Management
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Perforce, Google, MuleSoft and others in API Management. Updated: November 2022.
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We haven't tested it yet, but I believe the solution will scale. At the end of the day, it's an API management tool. We currently have three people in the company doing some sort of proof of concept on that.

We actually did reach out to the technical support and it was all right, not great. We didn't get the answers we needed.

We tried out the AWS VPN advantage gateway and the other API management. Those products are out of the box and are therefore much simpler to use, but we also wanted to see an on-prem version of it, so that's when we took up Akana.

Implementation didn't take too long, maybe a few weeks.

What other advice do I have?

The thing is that there are the other API gateways out there as well. There is a tool called Kong and a tool called Tyk, which are open source versions your decision depends upon the scale of the company. If you have someone who can work with open source, I would recommend using Kong. If you have a lot of money, I would suggest Apogee, but Apogee's quite expensive from what I gathered, as is Akana. The problem with Akana and Apogee is that the pricing models are not very clear upfront. It's not easy to know whether you want to invest in them unless it's clear what the cost will be. We always have to reach out to the sales team first, and only then it's possible to figure out what the pricing model is.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

it_user580680 - PeerSpot reviewer
Gerente de Sistemas e Ingenieria de Software Libre with 11-50 employees
Its completeness feature for the large enterprises is the most valuable feature.
  • "It allowed us to publish and replace pre-essential transactions in one place, with a uniformity in terms of control and policies."
  • "The product has new features that we are going to implement in the next few months, such as API management and analytic reporting."

What is most valuable?

Its completeness feature for the large enterprises, in my case for the government, is the most valuable feature of this product.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to order the web service offerings of the state, so as to be consumed by other agencies.

What needs improvement?

The version that we have is very old. Now, the product has new features that we are going to implement in the next few months, such as API management and analytic reporting.

We are also interested in the improvements of the graphical orchestration services.

I have used this solution for about six years.

For these years, there were no stability issues because of its architecture with clusters.

There were no scalability issues. We did perform stress testing after the implementation and obtained 6k TPS which is still a large number for us. Also, its clustered architecture allows us to scale out, if necessary.

When we required any tech support, we contacted Gabriel and Hussein who gave us superb service, in order to resolve issues and to implement new policies/requirements; they explained to us in a detailed manner, as of how to perform our requirements.

The initial setup was not performed by us, but we could follow a training webinar; it was straightforward.

For us, the pricing and licensing policies were for an on-premise installation with a fixed cost structure, that matched our budgeting policies.

What other advice do I have?

You should:

• Look in depth at your requirements.
  • Check the leaders at Magic Quadrant by Gartner.
  • Carry out a cost-benefit analysis.
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are now resellers.
Download our free API Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Perforce, Google, MuleSoft, and more!
Updated: November 2022