IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Akamai Kona Site Defender OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Akamai Kona Site Defender is #5 ranked solution in top Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection tools and #12 ranked solution in top Web Application Firewalls. PeerSpot users give Akamai Kona Site Defender an average rating of 8 out of 10. Akamai Kona Site Defender is most commonly compared to AWS WAF: Akamai Kona Site Defender vs AWS WAF. Akamai Kona Site Defender is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.

Download the Web Application Firewall (WAF) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Akamai Kona Site Defender?
Akamai's Kona Site Defender extends security beyond the data center while maintaining site performance and availability in the face of fast-changing threats. It leverages the power of the Akamai Intelligent Platform to detect, identify and mitigate Denial-of-Service (DoS) and Distributed Denial-of-Service (DDoS) attacks before they ever reach the origin.

Akamai Kona Site Defender was previously known as Kona Site Defender, Kona.

Akamai Kona Site Defender Customers
AvidMobile, itBit
Akamai Kona Site Defender Video

Akamai Kona Site Defender Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Akamai Kona Site Defender pricing:
  • "The price they are offering is quite reasonable for premium customers, but it's very expensive if you're a small and medium-sized enterprises."
  • "There is no license at all for Akamai. They are going to charge us only for the usage."
  • "Akamai is very expensive."
  • Akamai Kona Site Defender Reviews

Manager- Information security and Data privacy at a leisure / travel company with 51-200 employees
    Great technical support, scales extremely well, and is very stable
    • "The solution can scale extremely well."
    • "The pricing could be reduced a bit."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an application firewall.

What is most valuable?

If you compare it to other products in the market, it's quite holistic in terms of the features that it provides. Technical support has been very helpful and responsive. The solution can scale extremely well. The product has proven to be quite stable.

What needs improvement?

The product really isn't very user-friendly. They could improve it so that it's easier for their customers to navigate and use. From a management perspective, it's difficult. Managing these rules with the product isn't easy. It is not taking into account that this might be used by somebody who doesn't necessarily excel in IT. It should be more accessible to everyday users. For example, report generation should be much simpler to handle. It shouldn't be a complex task. The pricing could be reduced a bit. They should provide an image optimizer and have it included within the package due to the fact that ultimately all websites that have high content are looking for this.

I've been using the product for two years at this point. It hasn't been too long.
    Web Application Firewall (WAF)
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Akamai, Amazon, Imperva and others in Web Application Firewall (WAF). Updated: June 2022.
    610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is excellent. We haven't had any issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance is reliable.

The solution can scale extremely well. That's not a problem at all. If a company would like to expand the solution, it can do so with relative ease.

Technical support has been great so far. They are knowledgeable and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of assistance we receive from them. I have no complaints.

I'm currently also using AWS products.

The initial setup took us a bit of time to execute. It's got a moderate amount of complexity. It's not hard, however, it's not exactly straightforward either.

The pricing isn't the highest, however, it's not the lowest either. They could adjust it so that it was a bit more affordable. It would be appreciated by the customers. It's expensive, however, if you compare it to AWS, you'll get different services that you'll have to collaboratively pick in order to get the same solution that Akamai provides to you in one package.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with the company. I would recommend the solution. It depends on what the organization wants, however. If you're going for cost optimization or whether you are looking for a through and through security feature, it might vary in its acceptability. It depends on what exactly you want and your company's priority. However, overall, it's a good product. In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've mostly been quite satisfied with it.

Hybrid Cloud
    Senior Security Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Reseller
    A highly-scalable defense service with a valuable custom rules feature
    • "The most valuable feature is the custom rules feature. This is because many of our customers require a lot of custom rules. Because it's a very customized project for our customers, I think they have the best of everything already."
    • "They are already very flexible, but room for improvement is there. Reports generation could be better and should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I provide a service. We manage the Akamai service for our customers. Our customers are predominantly government agencies and medium-sized companies, and banks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the custom rules feature. This is because many of our customers require a lot of custom rules. Because it's a very customized project for our customers, I think they have the best of everything already.

What needs improvement?

They are already very flexible, but room for improvement is there. Reports generation could be better and should be improved.

I have been using Akamai Kona Site Defender for two to three years.

Akamai Kona Site Defender is quite stable.

Akamai Kona Site Defender is scalable. They offer the most scalability in the marketplace, and there's no problem with scalability.

The guys at technical support are very technical, and then they're quite flexible. They are quite helpful to our customers.

Because our customers are big companies, we would do all the initial setup. It's not complicated because we have standards, best practices, and policies. It's not complicated, and we make it simple for our customers.

I prefer Akamai Kona Site Defender to other competing products. We are working with several vendors, and vendors need to be open and accept criticism. Akamai is one of the good ones that accepts criticism, and they are open about it.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential customers to make sure that it's a medium or big company. It's not suitable for small companies.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Akamai Kona Site Defender above eight.

Web Application Firewall (WAF)
    June 2022
    610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Rusdi Budiman - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of IT Infrastructure at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A stable security solution with usage-based charges
    • "I like that the charges are all based on usage and labor costs. For the time that we spend onboarding almost 252020 FQDN, Akamai charges us only for the traffic usage, but it's only charging us for the labor costs for onboarding."
    • "It would be better if there weren't any issues with latency. We had latency issues, but I think they are all solved now."

What is our primary use case?

We use Akamai Kona Site Defender because we need CDN. We have mobile apps, and we host them internally. Sometimes, we also deploy an IPA file for iPad. I think all the users from our distributor are going to download directly from our server. We use Akamai to distribute all the IPA files to our network provider without any significant latency for our distributor.

What is most valuable?

I like that the charges are all based on usage and labor costs. For the time that we spend onboarding almost 252020 FQDN, Akamai charges us only for the traffic usage, but it's only charging us for the labor costs for onboarding.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if there weren't any issues with latency. We had latency issues, but I think they are all solved now.

Akamai Kona Site Defender has been stable so far.

Because our third-party partner has a good relationship with Akamai, I think they can call the Akamai to join the incident call when an incident is happening. I think they're quite good and responsive for that. There is also a lot of documentation online regarding troubleshooting.

The initial setup is quite easy because we mainly outsource it to another company.

We just ask the third-party provider to implement the solution or engage Akamai and make some changes.

There is no license at all for Akamai. They are going to charge us only for the usage.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to potential users. I think if the FIC has a CDN, it's easier in terms of onboarding. In terms of the commercial part and charging, I think Akamai is more efficient. I think it's important to have a CDN feature inside.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Akamai Kona Site Defender a nine.

Co-Founder and CEO at PT Eugenea Kreasi Utama
    Powerful and feature-rich, but the technical support is slow to respond

What is our primary use case?

We use Akamai Kona for our cloud services.

What is most valuable?

The features are powerful and better than F5. I would rate the features a nine out of ten.

What needs improvement?

Support and the pricing need to improve. I would rate this area a six out of ten.

I started using Akamai Kona in 2017. We stopped in 2020 to switch to F5.

Technical support is very slow to respond.

Previously, we were not using any other solution.

Akamai is very expensive. It is more expensive than F5.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Akami Kona Site Defender a seven out of ten.

Download our free Web Application Firewall (WAF) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Akamai, Amazon, Imperva, and more!
    Updated: June 2022