IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

3Com H3C Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

3Com H3C Switches is #20 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give 3Com H3C Switches an average rating of 8 out of 10. 3Com H3C Switches is most commonly compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: 3Com H3C Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 37% of all views.
What is 3Com H3C Switches?
3Com Baseline switches provide cost-effective layer 2 10/100 and 10/100/1000 Ethernet switching for LANs that do not need management capabilities. Simple to install and economical to own, they feature wirespeed performance on fixed-configuration, rack-mountable platforms.

Download the Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

3Com H3C Switches Customers
British Columbia Assessment Authority, DreamWorks, DRV
3Com H3C Switches Video

3Com H3C Switches Reviews

Head of Technical Support at a real estate/law firm with 51-200 employees
Reliable switches that don't require management

What is our primary use case?

These are Layer 2 switches. We have mostly Layer 2 and we have one Layer 4 switch.

We have a plan to move away from this product. If it works, they will be there just as a backup only. But for most of the equipment, we're moving towards newer products.

Within our company, we have around 200-plus terminals that are connected, meaning there are over 200 PCs connected.

What is most valuable?

They're straightforward and stable. They're built like a workhorse — you leave them alone and they do their thing.

Overall, they're a good product; they don't break down.

What needs improvement?

I think there's nothing that needs to be improved because the company is no longer in existence.

I have been using 3Com H3C Switches since 2003.

I think it's quite stable.

In terms of technical support, HP is better because HP gives us a lifetime warranty — 3Com has a limit. Only HP gives us this kind of warranty — nobody else does that.

Everything is very straightforward. Whether it's 3Com or it's HP or Aruba — they're all straightforward.

Deployment is pretty much a no brainer when it comes to switches. They're straightforward. You can define the VLAN and the link aggregation. You can do it the moment you put an IP address on the switches.

Regardless of whether it's HP or 3Com or even Cisco — they're all very similar. It's all quite simple equipment so they're easy to manage.

We installed everything ourselves. You don't need staff for deployment and maintenance. You just have to plug it in and it runs on its own.

It's practically the same for most switches. But I have to say that the high-end switches, for Layer 2, I think there are some Layer 2 switches that are breaking down, or they just started breaking down. It has to do with age and production design. It's different for the high-end switches compared to the entry-level switches.

What other advice do I have?

If I had to go back in time, I might go with HP. HP is a better investment down the road.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give 3Com H3C Switches a rating of eight.

Download our free Ethernet Switches Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Cisco, D-Link, and more!
Updated: May 2022