Top 8 Infrastructure Capacity Planning
DX Performance ManagementMicro Focus Cloud OptimizerBMC TrueSight Capacity OptimizationITRS Capacity PlannerHelpSystems Vityl Capacity ManagementPrecisely Capacity ManagementHitachi JP1 Performance ManagementQuest Foglight Capacity Director
One of the most valuable features is the ease of use.
One feature I like about CA Performance Management is the certification of the devices.
It helps to plan how you can scale up your environment, and it gives an overview of your entire infra.
Easy access to resources of our cloud.
We ingest a ton of business data. We are an insurance company and we have business data, like how many quotes are done an hour, and how many policies are sold per hour. The correlation engine in the new TrueSight Capacity Optimization components are wonderful. We can do correlation analysis over months of data, and then we run models to tell our business: 'If you do 1,000 more quotes an hour, we're going to have to upgrade, and we're going to need this much more hardware.'
The Forward Thinking scenario modeling is the most valuable feature. Using the tool, we've been able to model new demands on our systems and identify where bottlenecks will occur. We've been able to proactively address those issues and fix them before they become service-affecting.
Infrastructure Capacity Planning Topics
What are infrastructure capacity planning solutions?What are the steps in capacity planning?Why is capacity planning important in IT infrastructure?Benefits of Infrastructure Capacity Planning SolutionsFeatures of Infrastructure Capacity Planning Solutions
What are infrastructure capacity planning solutions?
Infrastructure capacity planning solutions are the tools that organizations bring to bear against the problem of figuring out their potential future resource needs. These solutions create models and simulations that can be carefully analyzed. This analysis can provide decision-makers with information that can be used to make determinations about what kind of resources they might need in the future.
They start off by gathering all of the data that details the historical performance of the company’s infrastructure. Once this has been gathered, the information is plugged into the simulations that the solutions build. At this point, the software will begin to analyze the information and make predictions. It will try to determine how changes to the type of work that the infrastructure is asked to do or the infrastructure itself will impact the performance of the system. This, in turn, might enable it to spot areas of particular vulnerability. These solutions in effect map the infrastructure of the organization in question and create a clear picture of the capabilities of the system.
What are the steps in capacity planning?
There are five basic steps that are crucial to successfully creating a capacity. These steps are:
- Take a look at the agreements that you have in place with the vendors who supply you with the devices that make up your infrastructure. This will enable you to gain a better picture of your infrastructure’s current capacity. It will also help you figure out if there are areas where growth is possible.
- Now analyze your infrastructure’s usage of resources. Use tools to figure how effectively each component of the infrastructure is operating. This will allow you to gauge whether your system is sufficient for your current needs or whether changes are necessary.
- Next, you should be looking to the future. This will involve taking the information culled in the first two steps and using it to map out every aspect of your organization’s future. You will need to consider more than corporate growth. While this is certainly part of what you are going to think about, it is only a single component of what you need to plan for. Things like how you might upgrade the hardware or software and changing client demands should also be considered at this stage.
- Consider where you might be able to consolidate resources. If there are tasks that can be reassigned to hardware that is being underused, this is worthy of consideration. Future needs can possibly be reduced and unnecessary costs can be removed. Servers that are inefficient might then be scrapped and resources will be saved.
- Finally, take the data that has been compiled and actually use it. You will now be in a position to craft your infrastructure capacity strategy. In this final stage, you will lay out steps that your organization can act upon. Now that you have a map of what your future needs will be, you will be able to detail how these needs can be met. This step is an ongoing one. You will want to constantly monitor your capacity and compare it to your future. If you are not on track to meet your needs, you may need to adjust your plan.
Why is capacity planning important in IT infrastructure?
Capacity planning as described above keeps IT infrastructures running in the most efficient manner possible. Using capacity planning, you gain the ability to identify the shortcomings that exist in your IT infrastructure. This is important because it gives you the ability to create a plan of action that will streamline and improve the way that your organization uses its technological resources.
Benefits of Infrastructure Capacity Planning Solutions
Companies can enjoy the following benefits if they choose to employ infrastructure capacity planning solutions:
- These solutions enable organizations to create long-term plans for the allocation of organizational resources. This can allow organizations to prepare far in advance for potential issues. They can stave off, or at least mitigate, potential system issues.
- The efficiency of resource usage can be increased many times through the usage of infrastructure capacity planning solutions. These tools map how resources are used and what might be needed over time. This allows for resources to be assigned and used in the most effective manner possible, based on need. This can allow you to create the most cost-effective plan for running your infrastructure.
Features of Infrastructure Capacity Planning Solutions
Features you should look for in infrastructure planning solutions include:
- Simulation creation and automated analysis.
- Modeling for real-world, cloud, and cloud-based resources.
- Modeling for various infrastructure components, such as your organization’s network.
- Ability to map system constraints based on changes in the workload and infrastructure.
- Predictive algorithms predict the resources that will be needed based on changes made to the infrastructure.
- Visual data representation and reporting.
- Ability to integrate with capacity management and performance data monitoring.
- Cloud or physical options.