IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

vRealize Business for Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

vRealize Business for Cloud is #4 ranked solution in top Cloud Cost Management tools. PeerSpot users give vRealize Business for Cloud an average rating of 8 out of 10. vRealize Business for Cloud is most commonly compared to VMware vRealize Automation (vRA): vRealize Business for Cloud vs VMware vRealize Automation (vRA). vRealize Business for Cloud is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 36% of all views.

Download the Cloud Cost Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is vRealize Business for Cloud?
VMware IT Business Management Suite offers in three editions: Standard, Advanced, and Enterprise. VMware IT Business Management Suite provides transparency and control over the cost and quality of IT services. By providing a business context to the services IT offers, IT Business Management helps IT organizations shift from a technology orientation to a service broker orientation, delivering a portfolio of IT services that align with the needs of line of business stakeholders. With benchmarks providing objective evidence, IT Business Management also provides the fact-based approach needed to minimize the cost of IT while maximizing the value IT delivers to its customers. Greater transparency and alignment, and the continuous improvement of IT services they enable, support IT as it seeks to develop competitive advantage through major IT transformation initiatives such as cloud, mobility and data center modernization.

vRealize Business for Cloud was previously known as VMware IT Business Management Suite, VMware ITBM, IT Business Management Suite, Digital Fuel.

vRealize Business for Cloud Customers
Rent-A-Center, SAIC - (Science Applications International Corporation), Tribune Media, iGATE, EMC, Deutsche Telekom, GEFCO, Banca Ifis
vRealize Business for Cloud Video

Archived vRealize Business for Cloud Reviews (more than two years old)

Datacenter Team Leader at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A stable solution to assist with the billing and management of resources
  • "The most valuable feature is the metering capability."
  • "The knowledge base is not available for the engineers, which is something that needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution integrator and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers. This product is used by cloud providers to help manage their private and hybrid clouds. It is essentially a metering solution for VMware.

How has it helped my organization?

vRealize Business for Cloud integrates with the infrastructure and reports costs on resource usage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the metering capability. It helps to bill clients on their usage of resources in the infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

The knowledge base is not available for the engineers, which is something that needs to be improved. The documentation can be improved, as well.
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Nutanix, BMC and others in Cloud Cost Management. Updated: June 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Stability-wise, this is a very good solution and we haven't heard about any problems with it from our customers.

Scalability has been good enough for our customers.

I have been in touch with technical support and find that they are good. We are satisfied with them.

Installation and integration are simple. However, the configuration and setting up the schema is something that has to be discussed in-depth with the customer. In more complex cases, it takes a good understanding and longer to design a correct schema. The deployment, once it is designed, only takes a couple of hours.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to get as much information as possible from the vendor. It is important to understand it properly, in advance. If it is designed properly then you will get the best value because the scheme will be optimized. Overall, this is a good solution and we have not had any problems, but I can't say that it is perfect because of the issues with the documentation and knowledge base. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Data Center Engineer - Wintel & VMware at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good cost management, good reporting and easy to understand
  • "The product provides excellent daily reports."
  • "The solution's private cloud is much too expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our internal cloud or private cloud as well as for the external clouds. I also use it at home for my private cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of budgeting, we were able to better understand the cost to budget the yearly financials better. We could understand what we were using so we could eliminate what we didn't need or decommission it from the public cloud.

What is most valuable?

The solution's cost management is very good.

The product provides excellent daily reports.

They give you real value for how much you spent on the public cloud.

The solution is simple and easy to understand.

What needs improvement?

The solution's private cloud is much too expensive.

There should be an integration with the V center. They don't offer that yet, but they should.

I've been using the solution for about eight months.

It's running on the VMware cloud so it's stable. I don't see a problem there. I haven't experienced bugs or glitches and haven't had any crashes. It's been reliable.

The scaling out is based on the number of computers that a company has. I don't find a problem in the scaling out, the software does it for you. I don't know if there might be issues in a private cloud, but I don't think that would be the case.

We have about five administrators on the solution currently. Three of them are simply using the solution for reporting purposes.

I'd love to increase usage, but it's a bit expensive. We may stop using it in the future due to the pricing.

I did try other options including Nutanix Beam. They are all similar solutions, although I did like Beam the best. The graphical user interface was easy to understand. There were more reporting tools. I liked the emails and the reporting and monitoring. I like that it was accurate with the prices on the public cloud.

The initial setup was very straightforward. We found it to be quite easy.

I did the deployment with VMware resources and it took me about two hours to get everything up and running.

You only need one person for deployment and maintenance. In my company, that happens to be me.

I called the company and they were able to walk me through everything over the phone. For the most part, I handled the implementation myself.

The cost is a bit much, especially if a company wants to scale it up.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We aren't sellers or partners.

I'm not sure of which version of the solution we are currently using.

I'd advise other companies if they decide to implement the solution, to make sure they are using the right sizes.

It would be nice if they changed their pricing model, but I don't think that is going to happen.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's very good.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
June 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Eric Preudhomme - PeerSpot reviewer
Products Manager at RCARRE SA
Hybrid cloud environment with great automation, but the pricing could be reduced
  • "The way the dashboard works with the main orchestrator to combine different types of cloud providers is helpful."
  • "It would be a good idea for VMware to be compatible with the most popular orchestration tools in the market."

What is our primary use case?

We are service cloud providers.

Our company has approximately 150 employees, and in our cloud, we manage approximately 6,000 users.

What is most valuable?

I like the openness of the solution. The hybrid feature to combine different types of cloud providers is useful, and it can be orchestrated in one central point.

What needs improvement?

The problem with VMware is the price.

Most of our customers don't use the user interface to create and orchestrate resources. I think that in most cases the customer would like to use third-party automatization tools. It would be a good idea for VMware to be compatible with the most popular orchestration tools in the market.

I don't know exactly how long I have been using this solution.

This solution is stable.

This is a very strong and scalable solution.

With vRealize Business the automation is great, and it's been nice to have so far, but we think that the product is not available now. We are looking and testing POC's similar to this kind of product. We believe that automation and orchestration is the real key for the future.

We have a project to launch a new public cloud in Luxemburg which is the reason that we are looking for this type of solution. We think that we have to migrate to this type of solution because if we wait a few more months it may be too late.

It's expensive, which is one of the problems with this solution.

What other advice do I have?

Except for the price, this product is excellent and I am content.

Because of the pricing, I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Solutions Architect and project manager at MIB leipzig
User interface has a new look and feel and it is very easy to set up
  • "The most valuable feature is that it has a very easy and adaptive look and feel, compared with some other cloud solutions."
  • "If you haven't established a vSphere cluster and you only have a single server to integrate, you can't deploy any service."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to build a free communication environment for our customers and to validate the services of all organizations connected to the customer in different locations. Each location has its own IT, IT staff and IT infrastructure and we go to each of these to set up for them. The first step is implementing native ERS, IS, IAAS services, followed by PAAF or a similar solution. I'm a solution architect and project manager and we're a customer of vRealize.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it has a very easy and adaptive look and feel, compared with some other cloud solutions. So it's very easy to set up the first IAAS services for a cloud-aware consultant. If you have to set up very complex services with dependencies between the parameters, you have to do this programmatically in the Orchestrator Space of the Solution (in our used 7.6 version only JavaScript is available, but it is a well-known programming language.

What needs improvement?

It's not so easy to come up with improvements, there are some architectural rules and in HPE Cloud solutions they are very difficult to implement because you have an open spec. There are some things in the blueprint development that could be easier but that's my experience on using the 7.6 solution, not on the 8.0 solution.
For additional features, I will only be able to answer this once the solution is in production. For now we only have a POV in place but we will be switching that in the coming weeks.

I've been using the solution for about half a year.

At the moment, in the POC, we have a very huge issue because you definitely have to implement a vSphere cluster. In other cases, if you haven't established a vSphere cluster and you only have a single server to integrate in the vRealize environment, you will not be able to deploy any service. That's a big issue with the solution but if you're aware of the issue then it's easy to implement because you can establish a cluster with one server. It's not the best solution but it works.

We have no scalability limitations in our current project. We have about seven different locations, some of which are very small, in the WAN environment. We setup satellites from the vRealize location so that we can test implement what we all like to have.

We are currently negotiating our VMware enterprise license agreement so it's unclear what the licensing costs will be.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very, very good solution and comparing it to others, it's definitely a solution that works. From our point of view, we are in a native VMware environment and that works fine for us.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10. If it were an optimal solution and more simple to use, I would give it a 10, but it's not.

Private Cloud
Leo Kennedy - PeerSpot reviewer
Network & Systems Senior Analyst at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A VM estimating and billing tool that is stable, scalable, and has good technical support
  • "The most valuable feature is that it allows us to compare the billing between the clouds."
  • "I would like to have an easy way of modifying the reference data that is used for the purposes of estimating the total billing."

What is our primary use case?

We have the complete VMware suite, including vRealize. We are using this solution as a chargeback tool for billing the respective business groups and project teams for our VM solutions.

Our interaction with clients begins with planning. We meet with the client to discuss project requirements, expectations, and use cases. We collate the information and use this to recommend how much compute, storage, and neutral bandwidth they will need.  Once we have those numbers in hand, we can easily size and bill the customers based on what was discussed. For example, a customer may want 100TB of storage with 2TB of memory, and vRealize will help us to bill these resources.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it allows us to compare the billing between the clouds. It gives us a graphical representation of the difference between clouds like AWS, Azure, and other private or public cloud providers. This gives us a ballpark figure and it makes it easy for our clients to decide whether to go with a public or private cloud. Furthermore, we are the trusted advisors inside the organization and this tool enables us to decide whether to spin the virtual machines on-premises or off-site.

In terms of security and manageability, we have not had any difficulties.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have an easy way of modifying the reference data that is used for the purposes of estimating the total billing. All of the data is stored by VMware, and it contains information such as the price for 1GB or 1TB from each of the cloud providers. Sometimes the information does not match our commercial rates and we need this to be in line with our budget, or our investment in infrastructure.

This solution integrates well with vCenter but we would like better integration with multiple solutions like Hyper-V. We need a cloud-agnostic platform because this is a costing tool, and we do not want to have a gap between the costing of public versus private, or on-premises clouds. As an example, for the same client, I may spin VMs on-premises, and also spin VMs on the cloud. They are for the same client but are on different platforms, and there should be a uniform price.

We have been using vRealize Business for Cloud for the past four years.

This is a stable solution. Most of the VMware networks are a service and they are reliable and very trustworthy.

We have had no difficulty with scalability. We have almost 8,000 end-users working on-premises. This is being used as a costing tool for almost 200 projects, and it helps the IT the team have visibility with respect to pricing.

We do not have plans to increase usage at this time, but next year, after the billing happens and we see what our position is, we may decide on a new vision.

Technical support for vRealize is good. I would rate them an eight or nine out of ten.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup is easy and the deployment is very straightforward.

It takes perhaps five to ten minutes to deploy. It has everything in place.

We have a team of 40 engineers across the globe for managing this VM infrastructure. I don't think that we have a dedicated resource for managing vRealize Business for Cloud, so the people who manage the infrastructure use their own diligence to manage it. When they need special expertise or they need technical service, my advice is that anyone who has a basic knowledge of virtual machines can usually handle it.

We did not consider many other options when we evaluated this solution. The PoC was straightforward and it worked well in all of the scenarios. After that, it was deployed.

What other advice do I have?

For anybody who is implementing this solution, my only advice is to learn the tool and then use it.

Vedran Bojcic - PeerSpot reviewer
Expert Coordinator for Support of Data Centers at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable, easy to install, and suitable for deployments of any size
  • "This solution has made us aware that we are over-provisioning our virtual machines."
  • "There are some kinks to resolve with the Web GUI user interface, as it freezes at times."

What is our primary use case?

The primary case use of this solution is to learn about the provisioning of the virtual machine and for asset management of our hardware.

The deployment model we are using is on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution made us aware that we are over-provisioning virtual machines.

What needs improvement?

We are satisfied with the functionality of this solution. Although there are not many areas that need improvement, perhaps, they could provide a better hardware database and the pricing of it.

It is understood that you can't equalize the price of hardware for each country.

I would like to see some optimization of the user interface in the next release.

I have been using this solution for six to eight months.

This solution is stable, it's pretty good.

There are currently five to ten people testing this solution.

This solution is scalable. It is made for both small and extra-large deployments.

I haven't had the need to contact technical support for this solution, but I have had technical support for other products and in the past and it's great!

We have not used another solution previous to this one.

The initial setup was easy and straightforward.

I deployed this solution myself, I did not use a vendor.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Central Public Administration Business Presale Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Helps us to automate all the provisioning activities on the platform and has good integration with other applications and vendors
  • "I like the integration with other applications or vendors."
  • "I would like it if they could provide their customers with more qualified support."

What is most valuable?

The features I find most valuable about this solution is it helps us to automate all the provisioning activities on the platform. I like the integration with other applications or vendors.

What needs improvement?

I think it is a very good solution because the technology is very consolidated with third parties. VMware is a top solution for virtualizing infrastructure. If I have to suggest to someone to use a cloud platform technologies, I would suggest VMware or OpenStack for infrastructure, because with VMware you have a perfect way to have support for your issues. You also have a consolidated technology. With OpenStack, you have a cloud public platform like Amazon Web Services, because OpenStack is based on AWS philosophy. It is open so you're sure that in the future you can use the platform without problems and without locking.

I've been using this solution for about six months now.

The technical team is quite capable of resolving issues. I would, however like it if they could provide their customers with more qualified support, like some training videos.

I used vCloud before, which is another cloud solution of VMware. It is most useful for public cloud, because it works better in multi-tenant infrastructure, while vRealize is better for mono-tenant infrastructure. For instance, when you have a private cloud and you want to manage various virtual machines, a lot of infrastructure for only a customer, this is the better solution. If you are a cloud provider and want to use VMware technologies for your platform it's better to use vCloud.

The initial setup was complex because they are a very important platform, but it wasn't so complex with respect to the community solutions. We used a consultant for the installation and deployment.

We did evaluate other options, but vRealize Business for Cloud turned out to be the best.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a ten out of ten and I will highly recommend it to others.

Download our free Cloud Cost Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Nutanix, BMC, and more!
Updated: June 2022