IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

vCenter Configuration Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

vCenter Configuration Manager is #6 ranked solution in top Configuration Management tools. PeerSpot users give vCenter Configuration Manager an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. vCenter Configuration Manager is most commonly compared to Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager: vCenter Configuration Manager vs Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager. vCenter Configuration Manager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.

Download the Configuration Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is vCenter Configuration Manager?
Automate configuration management across virtual and physical servers, workstations, and desktops.

vCenter Configuration Manager was previously known as vCM.

vCenter Configuration Manager Customers
Bank Al Bilad, Thomas-Krenn.AG, Pronto!, Unimed Juiz de Fora
vCenter Configuration Manager Video

Archived vCenter Configuration Manager Reviews (more than two years old)

Francisco Gimo - PeerSpot reviewer
Management Information System Officer at Kenmare Resources Mauritius
Great for automating and very stable, but complex to implement
  • "The solution is excellent at automating processes."
  • "There are some complexities within the system center. For example, we use two different applications for updates and the deployment of the machine. We also have another third party solution."

What is our primary use case?

I provide services to our customers. We largely use it for automation.

How has it helped my organization?

It's allowed us to automate most of the processes that we have in place. All the controls can now update positioning solutions. All of that is done through this software. For the company it's quite valuable, in that it saves resources, however, it also allows the IT team to be concentrated on different tasks. The company is growing and the need to focus on adding more systems etc. is very important. There are a lot of new systems being implemented. By taking manual tasks and automating them, it provides a great value for the customer.

What is most valuable?

The solution is excellent at automating processes.

Overall, it's a great tool.

What needs improvement?

There are some complexities within the system center. For example, we use two different applications for updates and the deployment of the machine. We also have another third party solution.

However, a third-party solution is dedicated to vulnerability management. And all the updates that have to be deployed to a specific product. You spend a lot of time in configuration due to the fact that you need to make sure all of your machines are compliant. Compliance is complicated.

July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Microsoft, HCL and others in Configuration Management. Updated: July 2022.
620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for about four years.

The stability of the solution is good. We haven't run into any issues with the solution. There aren't sudden crashes. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

We haven't had any issues with scalability. If a company needs to expand the solution's services, they can do so easily. From a technical perspective, it's possible.

I've personally contacted technical support in the past.

They were able to assist us with no problem. A few times we managed to sort out the issue ourselves. Still, mainly they do support us. We're quite happy with their services.

One of the things that puts us at an advantage is the fact that we are not yet running the latest versions. The older versions have less issues that need to be ironed out and patched. Therefore, we're working with versions that have already been pretty much perfected. It means there's less reason to contact technical support.

There's a bit of complexity in the initial setup. There are compliance issues you'll need to sort through. Configuration can take a while because of this.

There may be better ways to do things with System Center that we're not aware of. We always try to look at audits before we try a deployment. How long it takes tends to be decided by what a user wants the solution to do and how the company is set up.

If you want to do something relatively simple like automate updates, however, the deployment is quite straightforward. It doesn't take a lot of time.

Also, if you sorted out configurations and taken the time to fix items and iron out details, the solution will deploy fairly easily and deliver its services well.

For example, a deployment that, if done with some center, may require a workaround to sort out any problem beforehand, but once that's done, everything starts working perfectly.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. We don't have a special relationship with the company.

I would recommend System Center. We are going through a technological era where everything is done using technology, and security measures are important. With this solution, security is already in place.

With this solution, a lot of the items are automated, including a lot of administrative work. You can minimize so many things, including security vulnerabilities, simply by using the solution. It's great.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. They lose a few marks due to their general complexity, which takes a lot of time. Users need to take into consideration bandwidth and network usage when they set things up. While the solution does try to minimize resources, it takes a lot of time to get things where you need them to be. It's not straightforward. You'll need to go through many processes before you get there.

Abdul Amaan - PeerSpot reviewer
General Manager IT/system engineer at VT Solutions
Work is simplified with patch management and template features; configurations could be reduced
  • "Beneficial patch management and template features."
  • "Not very user friendly, too many configurations."

What is our primary use case?

We use Configuration Manager at one or two companies where we provide services. I live in Fiji and people don't really go into the detail of compliance and automated configuration. Most things are generally done manually so with the implementation of Configuration Manager it becomes automated. There are some reporting and management tasks involved. We're partners with vCenter and I'm the IT general manager.

What is most valuable?

As an engineer, I'd say the most valuable features would be the patch management and templates. Both of these features make my job easier.

What needs improvement?

This is a good solution but it has too many configurations for what it does. In that sense, it's not particularly user friendly and requires too many clicks. From reviews I've read, I believe Acropolis might be easier to use in this regard.

I think the solution pretty much covers everything, I can't think of any additional features that might be useful.

I've been using this solution for the past two years.

The technical support is generally quite good although it depends who you're talking to. Most of the time issues are solved expediently although sometimes it takes a little longer than you'd probably want, but eventually it gets fixed. It's good but it could be better.

The initial setup can be a little complex. It's clear what needs to be done but because of compliance it becomes more complicated. It requires configuring thresholds and standard marks plus automated configurations. It's a matter of implementing some provisioning which can be tedious. I haven't worked with it too much, but it seems quite cumbersome.

Deployment time probably took a little longer in our case because it was implementing  compliance, patch management and software package distribution, so it probably took a couple of days. We used our own team for configuration.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend people use this solution. It can make your life a lot easier and it has a lot of features which could help a system administrator prevent problems and foresee potential issues.

I would rate this solution quite highly but it loses a couple of points because of the complexity so I'll give it a seven out of 10.

July 2022
620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Noor Parkar - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. System and Storage Administrator at a government with 51-200 employees
An easy initial setup with a good user interface and good technical support
  • "The solution is stable and we haven't run into issues with bugs or glitches."
  • "The solution should allow for more customization."

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very good.

We like the level of technical support that we get using this product.

What needs improvement?

I don't think there are any features that the solution is lacking.

The solution is already quite user-friendly and offers good technical support, but it could always be further refined and improved.

The solution should allow for more customization.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is stable and we haven't run into issues with bugs or glitches.

The solution is easily scalable. We've found it easy to expand. Other companies should not have any trouble if they need to scale it out as well.

We have about 10-15 people using the solution currently. They're all admins.

The technical support is very good. We've had a good experience with them and are satisfied with their level of support.

VMware is the most popular solution in the market and now everybody is using it. It is the most reliable as well. However, in my opinion, there are not enough competitors in the market, and all offer similar functionality.

The initial setup is quite easy. It's not complex. The solution offers good documentation that assists in the process.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and have no special relationship with vCenter. We use the latest version of the solution.

I would recommend the solution. I'd rate it eight out of ten.

IT Admin at Sikraft
Very easy to manage, user-friendly, and simple to set up
  • "The solution is very easy to manage."
  • "The snapshot functionality on the solution needs improvement. After renewing the snapshot, all of the production was stuck. Right now, its functionality is one of our main concerns."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to control the host.

What is most valuable?

The feature that is the most valuable for us is the SP portal.

The solution is very user-friendly.

The solution is very easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

Aside from the snapshot, everything else is working fine. I can't think of any other features that we'd need in future releases.

I've been using the solution for the past five years.

The stability of the solution is very good. For us, there was no problem at all in our VMware. We haven't seen any bugs or glitches on the solution that would affect performance.

The scalability of the solution is quite good.

Currently, we have about 100 users on the solution.

The technical support of VMware on Dell is excellent. We've been more than satisfied with their level of service.

We didn't previously use a different solution before implementing this one. It's the first provided by Dell.

The initial setup of the solution is straightforward. We found it very easy.

The deployment was quick as well. It only took us about half an hour to get everything up and running.

You only need one person to manage the deployment of the solution.

The first time we deployed the solution, the Dell team handled the implementation. Now we are able to handle it ourselves.

We've had the solution for four to five years, but I'm unsure of the licensing costs surrounding it.

Before choosing vCenter Configuration Manager we didn't evaluate other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. It's a fantastic product.

ICT Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good configuration management solution for on-premises and cloud
  • "The feature that I have found most valuable is the virtual machine management across different hosts, located in different areas."
  • "They could improve the hybrid-cloud environment and its management, not only for the local host but also including the connection between public and private cloud."

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is the virtual machine management across different hosts, located in different areas. This is the most accommodating aspect I have found using vCenter.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, I would say easier management of the whole environment, meaning an easier interface.

Additionally, they could improve the hybrid-cloud environment and its management, not only for the localhost but also including the connection between the public and private cloud.

I have been using vCenter Configuration Manager for almost three years.

It is a stable solution.

vCenter is scalable.

Right now we don't have too many people using the application since we don’t need that many administrators on the environment, so less than 20 people are using it.

The initial setup was not so complex. My team and I did it by ourselves.

I think the first time I set it up the installation took two or three days. My second time was much easier - just a couple of hours.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate vCenter Configuration Manager an eight. I would recommend it.

PankajKumar12 - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Engineer at a media company with 10,001+ employees
Good centralized management for our virtual environment, but the cost should be improved

What is our primary use case?

vCenter Configuration Manager is a central management tool for our virtual environment. This solution is used for the configuration of our users' settings, helping to power the ITIL process. Without it, we would not be able to manage our environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is support for hyper-converged infrastructure.

This solution supports multiple platforms in a single solution.

What needs improvement?

The cost of this solution should be improved.

I have been using vCenter Configuration Manager for seven to eight years.

I think that this is a stable solution.

Scalability depends on the planning and the infrastructure that is in place.

The initial setup is straightforward. Once it is installed, everything is tested and it looks fine, we can go ahead with the converged platform.

Deploying the proper solution with the features that we are looking for takes about a month.

We use a consultant for helping to deploy this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Mahdi Bahmani - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect, IT Consultant at Merdasco - Rayan Merdas Data Prosseccing
Good disaster recovery and business connectivity capabilities but generally doesn't compare to competitors in the field
  • "The most valuable features that VMware's vCenter Configuration Manager have, when compared with other solutions, are their disaster recovery and business connectivity capabilities."
  • "It lacks the capability to manage the other systems."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features that VMware's vCenter Configuration Manager have when compared with other solutions are their disaster recovery and business connectivity capabilities. All the software that VMware produces has very good business connectivity and disaster recovery features.

What needs improvement?

Configuration Manager should decrease the deployment time in the data center and the management time as this could help many data centers reduce their operating costs.

I think most of VMware's software is easy and simple to use but they lack the capability to manage other systems. When working with some other software out there you have a total solution for managing and configuring your data centers. Many other virtualization systems have this feature, and it would be a good idea for VMware to switch to this approach because I think most data centers are looking for total solutions to manage their data centers. Our trends show that this kind of simple management software is going to be a part of orchestration systems.

Overall, I think it's good enough to use for most customers who have VMware solutions in their data centers.

I have been working on virtualization for around seven or eight years.

This software helps customers to reduce management operations, including saving their resources and total cost. The basic platform is very good for reducing operational costs. Plus, the automation and easy deployment are very important to many data centers.

In terms of scalability, yes, most of the software that VMware produces is enterprise and scalable and they define the business connectivity and disaster recovery very well in most of their software.

In some cases, I have contacted support when I use the software, but mostly I am helped with the data centers by our in-house engineers. The quality is not black and white. It depends on the engineer that you get, but most of these companies have good software consultants.

The initial setup is perfectly easy to deploy, as well as in other VMware software. It takes less than five hours to deploy.

Most VMware software is easy to use, although you don't need support for deployment, it may be helpful for maintenance.

If you compare the performance between virtualization solutions, I think KVM is better than VMware. But in terms of disaster recovery and business connectivity, VMware has a better-developed software here.

Our company is a data center solution architect and consultant. We look for the best solutions for our customers and we try to find the best one for each project. It doesn't matter if that solution is from a small company or a famous company - we look for the best solution for configuring the situation.

What other advice do I have?

I think before using this kind of software, most companies should train their administrators to ensure that the deployment is perfect. Also, maintenance would be easier if you train your engineers before using this kind of software.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate vCenter Configuration Manager a six. This is because compared to the other solutions such as Microsoft's StoreSafe or Studio Team System solutions or Ubuntu it is not as good.

This software is specific for VMware products whereas the other software is more flexible.

Associate Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It is really affordable and we haven't had any stability or scalability issues
  • "It is a stable solution."
  • "The technical support could be faster."

What is our primary use case?

We are responsible for the planning stage only, and we gradually do monthly-based monitoring and capacity utilization of the IT infrastructure. Based on our findings, we do some brainstorming to determine if there was an error or if it was due to less processing or storage capacity or memory management, those kind of things. So we use this program to do internal planning, basically.

What is most valuable?

People will purchase this solution because it is cost-effective and it suits ERP or CRM for the virtual environment solution. Azure is currently very popular in India, and some are using VMware on the Microsoft platform or on Red Hat Linux.

I find the vMotion and the DRS very valuable and important, as it is required for any medium or large IT solution for business applications.

What needs improvement?

Customers who want a business solution, should try to implement the IDL based processes for configuration management, patch management, release management and asset management. It will improve the life cycle management of their solution.

I am very familiar with this program, as I've been using it for almost fourteen years now.

We haven't had any stability issues.

I believe the program is scalable. We have at least three to four people at each site, depending upon the capacity of the internal users within our organization site.

We have support partners with VMware and Microsoft. We give our solutions to the clients based on their requirements, and then we also use the program ourselves. The technical support is not bad. It is good internally for our organization, and we are not facing any problems now. We have not taken platinum support, so our teams that are operating from the client site will have to wait longer to get their problems fixed. That is because every OEM has layers of support for platinum, gold, silver, and those kinds of things.

The initial setup wasn't really complex, it's just that the system integrator and the client should sit together and plan the basic things. They should write down in detail how to collect the information of the IT and non-IT comments, as well as data classification, so that those can be populated into the asset as well as the Configuration Management tool, and subsequently the tool can be used in a better way.

Deployment doesn't take that long. If the data is available, it can be configured within three to four days, after certifying the valid data by the customer. Data collection takes up more time and, again, it depends on the customer, whether it is government or private. If it is government, it takes a little more time because some of the departments will be reluctant to share all their data in one go.

It is an affordable program, but I don't know what the licensing fees are.

What other advice do I have?

In some cases, we require more from the solution than what is offered. We usually map these things into the Configuration Management tool so that they are taken care of or made available faster. I think this should be a part of the program so that those things could be reflected faster.

On a scale from one to 10, I will rate the program between 8.5 to 9.5 because in India some of the medium-sized business enterprises are not having a flexible IT budget for a configuration management tool. They prefer that the system integrator should buy it from his own pocket.

Datacenter Pre-Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Enables us to monitor our VMs and environment
  • "There are a lot of features, but I've found vMotion and VRS most valuable."
  • "There isn't a clear document covering all the errors. It would be helpful if the company provided better documentation for solving issues."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use for vCenter is to manage my hosts and all my VMs via vCenter. I can also monitor my VMs and my environment.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features, but I've found vMotion and VRS the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The main issue I have with vCenter Configuration Manager is that when I have a problem or error, I have to search a lot to get the solution. There isn't a clear document, and in some instances, none at all. There isn't a clear document covering all the errors. It would be helpful if the company provided better documentation for solving issues.

Additionally, I'd like to see more automation features in the next releases. If they could add more automation features to make the configuration and implementation processes easier, that would be good.

I have been using vCenter Configuration Manager for about six months. I'm pre-sales but lately my company and I have gotten a new task to go more deeply into technical problems and technical configuration.

This product is very stable, it's a very good product.

Configuration Manager is scalable.

The initial setup was simple.

We didn't evaluate a competitor, we only work with VMWare.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of 1 - 10, I would rate it an 8. I would recommend vCenter Configuration Manager to other users.

IlanBen Shetrit - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect & Presale at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
The interface is very user-friendly and the solution is simple to use
  • "The interface is very user-friendly and the solution is simple to use."
  • "The reporting could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a client that has an environment with three data centers with 25 hosts per site on each of them. There's also a headquarters in Israel. The solution is used at each center.

What is most valuable?

The interface is very user-friendly and the solution is simple to use.

What needs improvement?

The solution could use an internal cloud service. It should offer a vCloud foundation, but on-premises. For example, a small cloud environment or something that can be built on-premises and not hosted by Microsoft or other big hosting sites. We'd like to use some sort of vCloud to take the risks away from headquarters. The resources would be on-site on the customer side.

The reporting could be improved.

I've been using VMware in general for 12-14 years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is scalable. Our last project was for a company with a workforce of around 10,000 people.

As integrators, we often are the technical support for our customers. Their technical support that the solution offers is also good.

We didn't previously use another solution. We prefer VMware.

The initial setup's difficulty depends on the client's environment. Deployment can be complex or simple, but it depends on the underlying architecture. It can take anywhere from two weeks to one year.

We're integrators, so we handle the implementation for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

We're an integration company.

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Integration Partner
Michael Wilmsen - PeerSpot reviewer
Architect with 501-1,000 employees
Enables our customers to see which VMs need more resources or are over-committed
  • "The most valuable feature is the ability to see which virtual machines need more resources or are over-committed."
  • "It can take a long time for the first information to become available. On the other hand, that's normal. It has to collect a lot of information before it can predict future needs. But it would be nice if there was some kind of base level to get started."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients use it to get real, in-depth information about how the environment is being used; to see if they have to scale up, scale down, scale out.

How has it helped my organization?

Our clients have better knowledge of how they have to provision hardware and when they will need to provision hardware. It makes for more predictable environments. It prevents future problems.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to see which virtual machines need more resources or are over-committed.

What needs improvement?

Stability is great, in my experience.

The scalability is also great. It can scale out as far as you want to go.

My clients already have VMware. In terms of investing in a new solution, most of the time my clients already have problems that they're not aware of, or they feel like they don't have control. That's when I get hired, to see if I have the knowledge, along with the knowledge of the VMware products, that can help them in the future. They don't have the internal knowledge for deploying and configuring all their VMware.

The initial setup is pretty much straightforward. You just implement an OVA, answer some questions for IP settings and how large the environment is that you want to monitor, and then the install configures itself. You have to configure some plug-ins, but there's no rush on that.

ROI depends on the size of the environment. If you have more than 1,000 virtual machines, you should definitely install this type of software. The time to ROI depends on whether you configured a new cluster. In that case, you probably have enough resources, but we want to know how far you can go in your cluster, how many virtual machines you have left, given the space.

It's a large application. It consumes a lot of resources. Sometimes the price is too high for our customers. If they buy it directly from VMware, its hard to convince the customer that we will bring down the total cost of ownership, in the end.

If they have an SLA, most of the time the solution is included in the license, and it's easier to get it deployed to the customer.

Some of our clients evaluate Nutanix. They go with VMware because it's an enterprise company, and most of my customers are enterprise. They want the full support of an enterprise company. It's supported through all the specs, not only the hardware but all the applications.

What other advice do I have?

You should definitely go for this solution. Without this type of tooling, you're not aware of how your environment is functioning. You don't know if you are over-committed, or if you need to downsize. You get more inside information, and that's always useful.

Disclosure: PeerSpot contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner.
BeshoyAmin - PeerSpot reviewer
ICT Professional at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
My primary use case is for migration.
  • "It's a very nice solution for our needs."
  • "My primary use case is for migration"
  • "The functions are not running in HTML5."
  • "The interface itself is not very user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for migration, to manage my host, if you have three ESXi, more than one ESXi, you need to manage all of them by vCenter.  The jobs that I do with vCenter is the emission and the migration with VMware ESXi.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a management tool.

What is most valuable?

It's a very nice solution for our needs. I like the function in vCenter, you can use it and its mission. You can manage your VMs and use, and move VMs from host to another host, without a long time. It's a nice function for me, if I needed to update a host.

What needs improvement?

The functions are not running in HTML 5, this is a problem. In addition, the interface itself is not very user-friendly.

Three to five years.

There are no issues with the stability of the product.

I do not necessarily use technical support. If I have a problem in vCenter, I use tertial line and then how to absorb it and then VMware has many curtains about this.

It is a very easy setup. The first time I used it, I set it up in Windows. I have deployed it in a prior employment, too. It was just as easy there, too.

I am not knowledgeable with the pricing of the product.

What other advice do I have?

It's the best definition for our virtual environments, especially if you're using a VMware product.

Download our free Configuration Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Microsoft, HCL, and more!
Updated: July 2022