We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Tenable Nessus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Tenable Nessus is #1 ranked solution in top Vulnerability Management tools. PeerSpot users give Tenable Nessus an average rating of 8 out of 10. Tenable Nessus is most commonly compared to Rapid7 InsightVM: Tenable Nessus vs Rapid7 InsightVM. Tenable Nessus is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 60% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
What is Tenable Nessus?

Nessus Professional is the industry’s most widely deployed assessment solution for identifying the vulnerabilities, configuration issues, and malware that attackers use to penetrate your, or your customer's network. With the broadest coverage, the latest intelligence, rapid updates, and an easy-to-use interface, Nessus offers an effective and comprehensive vulnerability scanning package for one low cost.

Tenable Nessus Buyer's Guide

Download the Tenable Nessus Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Tenable Nessus Customers

Bitbrains, Tesla, Just Eat, Crosskey Banking Solutions, Covenant Health, Youngstown State University

Tenable Nessus Video

Tenable Nessus Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Tenable Nessus pricing:
  • "Nowadays, your vulnerability applications are going to be kind of pricey because lots of them, including Rapid7, are based upon a base price, but then they add in the nodes. That's where they get you. If you're a big network, obviously, you need to scan everything. Therefore, it's going to be costly. The risk and insurance money associated with having ransomware on my networks is going to cost me more money, time, and marketing than the price of the tool. That's why I'm speaking only as an information security officer to security operations. This is the tool that is there in my toolbox to say whether we vulnerable or not. At this point, I don't care about how much it costs my company to have it because if I wasn't able to report it and we got ransomware, then who cares? I'm probably going to be out of business because it happened. That's why I don't care about the price. I have it, and I could use it effectively and do my report. At the end of the day, even if we get ransomware, as long as I reported it, followed my protocol, and put in the change, irrespective of whether it was ignored or denied, I did my job."
  • "We incurred a single cost for a perpetual license, although I cannot comment on the price as this is above my management level."
  • Tenable Nessus Reviews

Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Easy to use, good support, and gives full reports of what's vulnerable per device
    • "I like its ease of use. It has the script that is pre-built in it, and you just got to know which ones you're looking for."
    • "The price could be more reasonable. I used the free Nessus version in my lab with which you can only scan 16 IP addresses. If I wanted to put it in the lab in my network at work, and I'm doing a test project that has over 30 nodes in it, I can't use the free version of Nessus to scan it because there are only 16 IP addresses. I can't get an accurate scan. The biggest thing with all the cybersecurity tools out there nowadays, especially in 2020, is that there's a rush to get a lot of skilled cybersecurity analysts out there. Some of these companies need to realize that a lot of us are working from home and doing proof of concepts, and some of them don't even offer trials, or you get a trial and it is only 16 IP addresses. I can't really do anything with it past 16. I'm either guessing or I'm doing double work to do my scans. Let's say there was a license for 50 users or 50 IP addresses. I would spend about 200 bucks for that license to accomplish my job. This is the biggest complaint I have as of right now with all cybersecurity tools, including Rapid7, out there, especially if I'm in a company that is trying to build its cybersecurity program. How am I going to tell my boss, who has no real budget of what he needs to build his cybersecurity program, to go spend over $100,000 for a tool he has never seen, whereas, it would pack the punch if I could say, "Let me spend 200 bucks for a 50 user IP address license of this product, do a proof of concept to scan 50 nodes, and provide the reason for why we need it." I've been a director, and now I'm an ISO. When I was a director, I had a budget for an IT department, so I know how budgets work. As an ISO, the only thing that's missing from my C-level is I don't have to deal with employees and budgets, but I have everything else. It's hard for me to build the program and say, "Hey, I need these tools." If I can't get a trial, I would scratch that off the list and find something else. I'm trying to set up Tenable.io to do external PCI scans. The documentation says to put in your IP addresses or your external IP addresses. However, if the IP address is not routable, then it says that you have to use an internal agent to scan. This means that you set up a Nessus agent internally and scan, which makes sense. However, it doesn't work because when you use the plugin and tell it that it is a PCI external, it says, "You cannot use an internal agent to scan external." The documentation needs to be a little bit more clear about that. It needs to say if you're using the PCI external plugin, all IP addresses must be external and routable. It should tell the person who's setting it up, "Wait a minute. If you have an MPLS network and you're in a multi-tenant environment and the people who hold the network schema only provide you with the IP addresses just for your tenant, then you are not going to know what the actual true IP address that Tenable needs to do a PCI scan." I've been working on Tenable.io to set up PCI scans for the last ten days. I have been going back and forth to the network thinking I need this or that only to find out that I'm teaching their team, "Hey, you know what, guys? I need you to look past your MPLS network. I need you to go to the edge's edge. Here's who you need to ask to give me the whitelist to allow here." I had the blurb that says the plugin for external PCI must be reachable, and you cannot use an internal agent. I could have cut a few days because I thought I had it, but then when I ran it, it said that you can't run it this way. I wasted a few hours in a day. In terms of new features, it doesn't require new features. It is a tool that has been out there for years. It is used in the cybersecurity community. It has got the CV database in it, and there are other plugins that you could pass through. It has got APIs you can attach to it. They can just improve the database and continue adding to the database and the plugins to make sure those don't have false positives. If you're a restaurant and you focus on fried chicken, you have no business doing hamburgers."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for vulnerability management. We have the latest version because we're using it in the cloud right now. I have a public cloud and a private cloud version.

How has it helped my organization?

When we do our scans, I'm able to give full reports of what's vulnerable per device. I could group them and say, "Hey, here's a vulnerability in the infrastructure. Here's all the host that needs to be addressed," by showing the report. When I give a report or a request for change, I would include the report so that they are undisputed. Instead of the sys admins giving the excuse of, "Hey, we don't have enough time," or, "We've already done it," or some other poor excuse, now I have a report behind it that says, "Hey, you're vulnerable with this. Here's the CVE, and here's the POC of the CVE," and then if I want to be a little bit more obnoxious, I provide them the POC that I ran with the proof that the POC is there, and then I'm able to say, "Hey, you need to patch this now."

My executives now are able to say, "Hey, you know what? The ISO gave you a directive to patch this with proof. Why haven't you done it?" Because now, as we know, all C-levels are ultimately responsible. If you have an ISO that is interfacing with sys admins saying, "Hey, here's a change that you need to patch it. Here's my proof that even has POC with proof and the report," then there is no benign, "Why haven't you done it?"

What is most valuable?

I like its ease of use. It has the script that is pre-built in it, and you just got to know which ones you're looking for.

What needs improvement?

I've been using Nessus for about eight years.

Internally, it is stable. Externally also, from what I've seen, it is stable. The only problem that I've had with it was if you have a network and internet blip, you get disconnected, but that happens with anything. Right now, I would say that a lot of cloud companies are having problems because COVID has got a lot of people working from home remotely in VPN. This is the biggest problem we have. You went from 35 people using VPN to over 2,000 people using VPN. You're trying to go to a cloud that wasn't set up for VPN, or you don't have the necessary routes or bandwidth to it. The average person is going to say, "This cloud application sucks." It doesn't really suck. It means that you don't have enough bandwidth in your infrastructure.

We haven't had to scale it yet. We haven't scaled internal Nessus because we have our own version of it. I'm not sure how many IP addresses we're feeding, but I know we only have one server. I looked at the processes, and it's only doing 50% of the process.

We have 13 people who are capable or licensed to use it, which would be all of our risk management information, information security, and risk management office, but I would say only half or about six of us are actually using it daily.

I've used the tech support a couple of times. I would say they are very good because they were able to say, "Hey, let's stop the chatting. Let's get on a Webex, and we will Webex you and ask the questions directly." They were able to get to the engineers on the Webex at the same time, and within 30 minutes, they solved our problem. I would rate them a ten out of ten.

If I was installing Nessus just by itself, it is straightforward simply because I've done it before. If you're setting up Nessus from the cloud version, there's a little bit more to it because, for one, it's in the cloud version, and you got to open up ports for your network. You got network people who get all scary because they don't understand what you're doing. Other than that, once you get it set up, then it is pretty much straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

The advice would be definitely doing your proof of concept because that's what you're going to need for your buy-in for your upper management because it is going to cost some money. I would do a hybrid version, where your own Nessus is internal, and then you have your cloud. If you lose connection to the internet, you could still run an internal Nessus scan to save the scan and then input the scan into Tenable.sc. Do your proof of concepts, get your reports, and use your proof of concepts when you do your presentation to upper management to purchase. If you use your own nodes and your own network as your proof of concept, it gives them an eye view of, "Hey, we're vulnerable because of this, and here's the tool that did it." To me, that was a better selling point because it was real. It wasn't the demo data. Once you have purchased it and get it all set up, use it continuously, meaning include your scanned reports with your change control. This way, it shuts all the administrators who have been there over 20 years and say, "Hey, I don't want to patch right now because it takes the network down." Yes, it's going to take the network down. However, the longer you wait, the more vulnerable you are because if I'm doing change requests every week, and I'm calling on more and more risk and you start to find the same nodes in the same reports, then somebody up high is going to say to the network administrator guy to fix it.

I would rate Tenable Nessus a ten out of ten right now. If you had asked me last year, Rapid7 would have been the same and on top, but now that I've been using Tenable and I'm comparing the jobs that I'm doing right now, Tenable is cut and clear to what the report is saying. My favorite report is the VPR report. Instead of just looking at CVS numbers, it has a VPR report that ranks, whereas, in Rapid7, it's just focused on CVS. It is CVS version 2 or 3, which kind of gets confusing. For example, in Tenable, I can run a scheduled scan and have my report, but let's say, for instance, I did patching in the middle before my scheduled scan. I could kick off a new scan specifically for that vulnerability and get a report, whereas, in Rapid7, you could not easily do that. Therefore, you were stuck waiting for the scan to go again and to see if your mitigation efforts fixed it.

Jairo Willian Pereira
    Information Security Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Tests against cloud providers, database profiles, several types of telecom devices, and other highly customizable scans
    • "Scanners and reports using CIS templates ("de-facto" standard, easy to fix and to locate correction tips at documentation), tests against cloud providers, database profiles, several types of telecom devices, and others highly customizable scans."
    • "Model OS costs (and its segregation schema for individual modules)."

What is our primary use case?

Over 15.000 active assets|inside 10 companies belonging to the group, the biennium recurrent project mapped the real situation, in parallel with photography of IT/Security maturity through three main domains: processes, people, and technology. 5 TOEs: Infrastructure, Databases (SQL and Oracle in deep), AWS Cloud, Connectivity (Routers, Switches, and Firewalls against/based CIS) and Web Application instances (partial tests).

How has it helped my organization?

Nessus has more plugins/add-ons, tests, and templates than previous tools (OpenVas) and it is faster and customizable using CLI/API features. It offers enough resources for an interesting cost-benefit rating (for small and medium companies) and minus false-positive events per type of asset.

It helped us to quickly produce a QuickWin report that guided the VulnerabilityMgmt actions and plans within the company's during the next 3-5 years using the same tool/investment/team for all companies inside the de group.

What is most valuable?

Scanners and reports using CIS templates ("de-facto" standard, easy to fix and to locate correction tips in the documentation), tests against cloud providers, database profiles, several types of telecom devices, and other highly customizable scans. You can scale your environment to gradually increase the quality, depth, and quantity of the tests, enabling you to learn and gradually optimize your vulnerability management platform(s)/instance(s). The possibility of integration with other market tools (Kenna, Archer...) is another differential.

What needs improvement?

- Add the possibility to customize attributes that define the assets critical level based on the company's "business sense".

- Improve integration and tests for OT platforms, OT application, OT hardware, and non-Ethernet protocols.

- Improve the exchange of info/insights/attributes with RM (Risk Management) domain.

- Offer a more flexible strategic and high-level dashboards based on previous comments (minus technical and more business-oriented)

- Model OS costs (and its segregation schema for individual modules).

7+ years with Tenable and more than 15y with others.

Excellent. No one problem during operation time.

Enough (faster than OpenVAS engine).

It SLA/support are enough.

OpenVAS. We reached the previous level/threshold/maturity using OpenVas (more limited tool when compared with Nessus). I/We believe that, the change to a better tool (in this and in others categories) should be carried out when these indicators are reached.

Very simple and fast.

In-house.

Good. Nessus Pro combined with other xLAP solutions to offer a presentation/grouping layer is great. Using SC this curve/point of ROI is slower.

Start small, learn about your problems/fixing time and grow up gradually.

Several. OpenVas, Rapid7, Qualys, CORE*, and Retina.

What other advice do I have?

A cost/benefit interesting tool.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Learn what your peers think about Tenable Nessus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    564,643 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    MadhavanSrinivasan
    CEO at Screenit Labs Pvt Ltd
    Easy to setup, and allows you to migrate applications safely to the cloud
    • "We have done code scanning for a long period because as a company, we do DevOps as part of our development life cycle."
    • "We would like to have the option of using the solution for the cloud as well as on-premises with the same license at the same time. That would be very helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We are a company that provides cloud migration services. We help companies to migrate to the public cloud. When our customers want to migrate applications, they're worried about the security aspect in the cloud. So we are trying to see how the application security that is on-premises can be migrated to the cloud.

We don't have any particular solution, we are working with a few options. The customer selects what best suits their needs. If we have a program, we work with that.

It's not specific to what we are working with.

What is most valuable?

We have done code scanning for a long period because as a company, we do DevOps as part of our development life cycle. We like scanning the ports and security as well as application-level security.

What needs improvement?

Some of our customers are operating on the cloud as well as on-premises.

We would like to have the option of using the solution for the cloud as well as on-premises with the same license at the same time. That would be very helpful.

We have used this solution for three or four projects in the last two years.

We are always working with the latest version.

The stability varies on the version that you are using.

We have not had any problems with stability with what we are using. It's been stable and we have never been faced with any stability issues.

We have used this for an enterprise cloud application, which is much smaller with hundreds of users. It's pretty scalable. We have not had any challenges so far.

I don't know the limits of scalability because we haven't trialed it fully. But for the enterprise application that we use, we didn't find any issue with scalability.

We have contacted technical support, once or twice when we have had issues with respect to some plugin related clarification.

There are times where the solution doesn't work out of the box, and we have to install some plugins. We needed some assistance with this.

They are good, but the response resolution takes a bit of time. It would say that it's still within an acceptable response time. Within a few hours, they will get back to you with a solution.

The initial setup is pretty easy.

When we use the scales we find it to be easy.

In our experience a complete deployment and start-up, it takes only a few hours.

What other advice do I have?

In some cases, we deploy on-premises because the customer is still evaluating the readiness to go to the cloud.

A few of our customers are already on the cloud, and others are migrating. We have deployed on both models.

With my experience, I would definitely recommend it. This is the only tool we have used recently.

Hybrid Cloud
    VP - Risks, Audits & InfoSec at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    I like its ability to collate a dependable output, where we are able to get the same vulnerability when we test manually
    • "The features of Tenable Nessus that I have found most valuable are its reliability and its ability to collate a dependable output, where we are able to get the same vulnerability when we test manually. The output is quite reliable."
    • "In terms of what could be improved, I would say its reporting portion."

What is most valuable?

The features of Tenable Nessus that I have found most valuable are its reliability and its ability to collate a dependable output, where we are able to get the same vulnerability when we test manually. The output is quite reliable.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, I would say its reporting portion.

Additionally, we have the on-prem version, but sometimes we want to have an on-cloud deployment as well for certain projects, although not so many. The people who used it on cloud didn't find it as good as the version they were using on-prem. Overall, the cloud version could be improved.

I have been using Tenable Nessus for about three years now. We are currently using the latest version.

In terms of stability, recently we are seeing many updates coming in and we are finding that the updating model with its latest releases may be a little buggy. So sometimes deployment may take a couple of times and Nessus takes its own time for updating, thereby delaying the deployment time. Of late is, we are seeing updates coming in very frequently. So when we deploy it, it just updates again and again and that almost doubles the time.

Tenable Nessus is scalable. That's not an issue.

We did reach out to technical support. I think it was just once, but it took them a long time to respond. Maybe it was case specific, but they took a few days to get back to us and we didn't expect that. Now they've completely changed the model to email support, so we send the email and we'll have to wait until the guys answer us back.

The initial setup on-prem and on-cloud did not have any issues. It just took a couple of hours.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Tenable Nessus an eight.

What happens is Nessus keeps on updating and this becomes a showstopper. We are unable to proceed with the vulnerability scans or testing if we do not update to the latest available patch. We can understand the risk if it's maybe one version earlier, meaning, we understand something was updated with XYZ patch but there should be something which gives us an option so that not all of our deployments need to have the latest patch. This would save the deployment time because of frequent updates.

I would recommend Tenable Nessus. Especially the commercial model. We operate in small and medium enterprises and for them, Nessus is becoming expensive. Because of this I may not buy Nessus this year and I might switch to Qualys, for example. Overall, Tenable Nessus is not so price pocket friendly for small and medium users.

Vulnerability Management Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Scalable with good VPR scores and great plug-in text information
    • "The plug-in text information is quite useful."
    • "It wasn't very clear how the scripts are running the scans. There's information about the script but it's not straightforward. The script information for each of the plugins should be available, but it doesn't give us straightforward direct information about how it was executed. That needs to be more clear."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for vulnerability management. We also use it during our IP scans.

What is most valuable?

The VPR scores are the solution's most valuable aspects.

The plug-in text information is quite useful.

The solution can scale well.

We've found the solution to be quite stable.

What needs improvement?

It wasn't very clear how the scripts are running the scans. There's information about the script but it's not straightforward. The script information for each of the plugins should be available, but it doesn't give us straightforward direct information about how it was executed. That needs to be more clear.

We find that the solution causes several issues due to the fact that it runs even before it calculates, the asset in prevention.

I can't think of any features that are lacking.

I've been using the solution for one to two years at this point.

It's stable. I don't have any major complaints. It doesn't have bugs. It isn't affected by glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze on us. It's reliable.

We have about 100 direct users who are logging onto the solution on a daily basis.

We don't plan on increasing usage at this time.

We have been able to scale it in the past, however, and a company that needs to expand it should not face too many issues doing so.

We've worked with technical support in the past, and we've found them to be quite efficient. They are knowledgable and responsive.

We previously used McAfee and switched over completely at the end of May.

We had some help with the initial setup. We were able to use our vendor's expertise and have them walk us through any issues we had.

However, we completely handle the maintenance now that is it up and running. We have admins who deal with any upkeep.

The vendor assisted us in the initial implementation.

I don't have any information when it comes to the cost of the solution. It's not part of my job to deal with billing or payments, so I don't have any visibility on the cost structure.

What other advice do I have?

We are simply customers. We don't have a business relationship with Tenable.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

I would definitely recommend this solution. It's the best that I've used so far.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at an eight overall.

Hybrid Cloud
    IT Security Operations Analyst at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Fast and easy to use, with good reporting and good support
    • "The most valuable features are that it's fast, it's easy to use and it provides good reports."
    • "Remediation needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I have been using Tenable Nessus for my personal use. It works well.

I am using this solution for testing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it's fast, it's easy to use, and it provides good reports.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that I don't like is KBs information. For example, if we scan our workstation and you go to the results report that Nessus provides, we are going to see a lot of KBs as remediation. But in most cases, the KBs are always superseded.

Also, we are not able to apply those because Microsoft has already released a new TB.

Nessus is not doing a good job in updating its remediation section of the reports.

Remediation needs improvement. They are providing a lot of superseded KBs as remediation.

For example, when you share that with several team members or with one individual, and you ask them to work on this, they reply with Microsoft already has something new.

I have been using Tenable Nessus for approximately two years.

This solution is stable. I have not experienced any issues. It worked fine.

It's a scalable solution. I have not had any problems.

I am the only person using this solution.

Technical support is good. They provided information that is needed.

Previously, I was not using another solution. I use Nessus through a course that I was taking in the security field.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We did not use a vendor or vendor team to implement this solution.

I have evaluated one other solution, but because of my company policies. I can't share that information.

Tenable has Tenable.io, and I believe that they have the remediation updated, but Tenable Nessus Professional does not. I don't think that they will continue to keep it available in the market. They should probably decommission it.

Remediation is better in other tools than with Nessus.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who is interested in this solution, they should test the scan timing to see if it consumes a lot of time or not.

Research the remediation information to see if it is okay, or trust proof or not.

The reporting works well and it allows you to share. Also, support is important.

I would rate Tenable Nesuss an eight out of ten.

NagarajSheshachalam
    Lead Cyber Security engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Easy to understand but is lacking technical support
    • "A valuable feature of the solution is that it is easy to understand."
    • "We feel the solution's technical support to be very bad."

What is our primary use case?

We usually use the solution for infrastructure level and web application scanning, although mostly for the former. This is what we are doing at present. We were using the web application portion of Tenable Nessus for several months before switching to Veracode

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature of the solution is that it is easy to understand. When it comes to running a scan, the scanning mechanism is also easy, and it is quite fast compared to Veracode and Qualys.

What needs improvement?

The solution should have a more in-depth level of scanning, with features to meet the developers. Other points that should be addressed involve the understanding of issues by the users and the need for improvising the reporting structure. The reports should also be more attractive and user-friendly.

This is how Tenable Nessus occasionally works when drawing up something on the field.

Additional features I wish to see addressed in the next release include customer support and ease of  understanding of vulnerabilities and how they can be fixed.

In contrast to Tenable Nessus, we have found Veracode to be more user-friendly, with a greater in-depth understanding of the details and how things can be fixed. Other points in its favor include study cases, customer support, training and e-learning.

The solution is sort of down the mid range, so we are more happy with Veracode.

We have made use of Tenable Nessus over the past 12 months, and started doing so a couple of months before we got Veracode.

The solution is reliable and has good stability.

We have been in the web, so we have not tried to expand the solution.

We feel the solution's technical support to be very bad.

While we do receive a response upon creating a ticket, it is not like that of Qualys or Veracode. That extensive support is not there.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We deployed under the release plan of 8.11.

What other advice do I have?

There are at least ten people in our organization making use of the solution.

Tenable Nessus is an appropriate solution for a small scale company, one with budgeting constraints and no complexities within the organization. It not that user-friendly.

I would rate Tenable Nessus as a seven out of ten.

Cybersecurity Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Excellent at identifying vulnerabilities and accessing information related to that
    • "Ease of reviewing scores, identifying vulnerabilities, and getting information on them."
    • "Scans aren't done properly and some devices aren't pinged."

What is most valuable?

The valuable feature for me is being able to ping the computers to do the automated scan and to come back and be able to see everything. That's definitely a huge plus, but then there's also the ease of reviewing the scores, identifying vulnerabilities, and getting the information on the vulnerabilities; the ability to review all that within one tool has been phenomenal. When we're reviewing those Nessus scores, the solution works well.

What needs improvement?

I think there's still some things that need to be ironed out to ensure that we can have a one-stop shop to do both ACAS, SCAP automated assessments in. We've been trying to do that and they say you can, the capability is integrated into the system. But in most instances, especially when you're dealing with some systems that are standalone or a network that we built ourselves, we find that some devices aren't pinged and the scans aren't done properly. That also comes down to the hardening of the systems where the password or the privileges weren't taken, so therefore it didn't do the scan properly.

I've been using this solution for the past six or seven years.

The solution is stable. We haven't run into any issues other than some passwords that don't take, but that's the way we set up the system. If it's set up properly and configured appropriately, there won't be any issues.

We could definitely make the adjustment to scale it left, right, up and down, depending on what we're using it for and we haven't run into any issues on that. It's pretty flexible.

The setup itself is pretty straightforward. Because these are standalone systems, there are some additional steps that the IT team needs to do, but they pretty much have it down to where they could install the tools pretty easily and have it running reasonably quickly.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend making sure that the solution meets your needs for automated scans and the SCAP. If you're looking for a one-stop shop, I think it's a great tool for that. I would recommend some form of training if you don't have experience with this kind of solution. There's a bit of a learning curve involved in terms of configuring and using Nessus.

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Product Categories
    Vulnerability Management
    Download our free Tenable Nessus Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.