IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Talend Open Studio for MDM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Talend Open Studio for MDM is #13 ranked solution in top Master Data Management (MDM) Software tools. PeerSpot users give Talend Open Studio for MDM an average rating of 8 out of 10. Talend Open Studio for MDM is most commonly compared to Talend MDM Platform: Talend Open Studio for MDM vs Talend MDM Platform. Talend Open Studio for MDM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.

Download the Master Data Management (MDM) Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Talend Open Studio for MDM?

With Talend Open Studio for MDM, you can download a fully-functional MDM solution today and use it for free, for as long as you want. Available under a GPL open source license, Talend Open Studio for MDM delivers the key data integration, data quality, and data governance functionality that you need to get started with MDM in your company.

Talend Open Studio for MDM Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Talend Open Studio for MDM pricing:
  • "It has one single license, and everything is included in it."
  • "The licensing fees vary depending on the products that you purchase."
  • Talend Open Studio for MDM Reviews

Sivanandam Krishnan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Practice Lead at GainInsights Solutions
    Reseller
    With the help of their active community, we can resolve any issue quickly, but they should improve the UI and make it user-friendly
    • "The biggest advantage of Talend is that they have an active community. If we face any issue, we can get input in a short duration of time."
    • "It can definitely be improved on the UI side. They can provide a better UI as compared to what is currently available. I'm trying to set up the UI to capture some information, and when I try to use the native feature of Talend, I'm finding it difficult. It could be improved a bit. Only when it comes to MDM, it is not user-friendly, but when it comes to data integration of Big Data, it's extremely user-friendly."

What is most valuable?

We are doing some customization, and Talend is supporting the customization. Because Java can be customized in Talend, we are using it to a large extent. So, customization is valuable. The biggest advantage of Talend is that they have an active community. If we face any issue, we can get input in a short duration of time.

What needs improvement?

It can definitely be improved on the UI side. They can provide a better UI as compared to what is currently available. I'm trying to set up the UI to capture some information, and when I try to use the native feature of Talend, I'm finding it difficult. It could be improved a bit. Only when it comes to MDM, it is not user-friendly, but when it comes to data integration of Big Data, it's extremely user-friendly. The features are available in silos, but I need a complete package that is capable of doing some sort of profiling and defining stewardship.

We have been using Talend Open Studio for a quite long time. It has been around four and a half years. We have used it for multiple projects, and I'm currently also doing an implementation using Talend MDM.

Stability-wise, I don't see any issues.
    Master Data Management (MDM) Software
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Talend, Informatica, Microsoft and others in Master Data Management (MDM) Software. Updated: June 2022.
    607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I don't have much idea about scalability. We are using it for a smaller engagement, and we don't have a need to scale it right now.

I'm relying more on the community rather than the support team. Generally, the support team is available for the enterprise version, but I feel the community is more active than the support team.

From an open-source perspective, I have used only Talend.

It's pretty straightforward.

It was completely implemented in-house. For its maintenance, one person is more than enough.

I don't have any idea about the commercial part. It's handled by a separate team. It has one single license, and everything is included in it.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have a proper hierarchy before deciding whether you need to go for MDM. You need to know what is the expectation from the MDM solution. Do you need a front-end to capture the information, or is the MDM solution expected to integrate with the existing solution? This is something that needs to be clarified before choosing this product. You need a proper use case before getting into this. You also need to understand the limitation of the product. From the UI side, it'll trouble a lot. If you have the freedom to integrate with the third-party solution or any other ERP, I would suggest going with Talend MDM. I would rate it a six out of ten.

Senior Big Data and Integration Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Good stewardship and data prep capabilities with responsive technical support, but the deployment can be tricky
    • "The most valuable features are the stewardship and the data prep."
    • "Creating a model and deploying it is a little bit tricky in Talend, compared to other tools."

What is our primary use case?

My experience with Talend Open Studio for MDM is supporting an existing customer.

It is used for master data management and is often utilized by industries, companies, or organizations that do a lot of acquisitions and mergers. In cases where there is a lot of different customer information from different areas, they tend to use MDM. Also, in certain regions where a customer is registering in multiple domains, they use this tool to create the master record.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the stewardship and the data prep. These two are very good on the Talend platform.

The Talend data catalog is one of the great features that they implemented recently. It's more about data lineage and it may assist with the data governance program. It is a feature that is emerging in the market now.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Talend for more than six years.

We have experienced no problems with performance as Talend is scaled. I would say that the scalability is decent.

Technical support is great. The moment you raise a ticket, depending on what SLA you have, they tend to respond quickly.

My understanding is that they're not planning to continue with the MDM product, so I don't think that they're going to continue to support MDM for much longer. It is being passed to a third party that they will work with. It is for this reason that a cloud-based version has not been implemented.

I would say that the initial setup is of moderate difficultly. It's not straightforward, yet not too complex. Once you have a better understanding of the system, it's easy.

The licensing fees vary depending on the products that you purchase.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Talend is to work with the partners because they tend to have a good knowledge of the product. What I have observed, at least in some companies, is that they buy the product and don't know how to use it. It consumes a lot of time and cost from the operations side. I would suggest reaching out for advice to help with the implementation so that it can be done much faster.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Download our free Master Data Management (MDM) Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Talend, Informatica, Microsoft, and more!
    Updated: June 2022