IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

SolarWinds Security Event Manager  OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SolarWinds Security Event Manager is #14 ranked solution in top Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) tools. PeerSpot users give SolarWinds Security Event Manager an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. SolarWinds Security Event Manager is most commonly compared to Splunk: SolarWinds Security Event Manager vs Splunk. SolarWinds Security Event Manager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is SolarWinds Security Event Manager ?

When TriGeo was acquired by SolarWinds, TriGeo SIM became known as SolarWinds Log & Event Manager. This product is a leading Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) product and log management solution, which provides log collection, analysis, and real-time correlation.

SolarWinds Security Event Manager was previously known as SolarWinds LEM, Solarwinds SIEM, TriGeo, Log and Event Manager.

SolarWinds Security Event Manager Customers

NetSuite, EasyStreet, Legacy Texas Bank, and Energy Federal Credit Union, to name a few.

SolarWinds Security Event Manager Video

SolarWinds Security Event Manager Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SolarWinds Security Event Manager pricing:
"It is in the appropriate mid-range. It is not as expensive as some of the other solutions. It is also not cheap."

SolarWinds Security Event Manager Reviews

ISO at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides in-depth monitoring capabilities and an easy way to set up dashboards
  • "It has in-depth monitoring capabilities and an easy way for setting up dashboards. I can expand in various areas, or I can reduce areas. It supports different types of breakdowns, filters, and rules. It is very simple for an out-of-the-box type of product. It doesn't take a lot of time to figure it out, which is unlike some of the solutions that I have looked at. It meets all the aspects."
  • "Under the new system, it is not upgradable the way they say. When you try to do an upgrade, it doesn't really work unless you dump everything and start from scratch. You lose a lot of your nodes. Whenever you set your nodes up and everything else, they don't want to bring those nodes back in, so you have to really go back and restructure all your nodes. I went from version 6.5 to version 6.6 and then to version 6.7. I then went to version 2019, and now it is version 2020. It would be good if we can upgrade without having to delete everything and start from scratch. They can maybe build more KPIs and other things for the dashboard. Some of the other systems already have built-in KPIs. SolarWinds is starting to catch up, but it is not there yet. They can include some of the business or industry standards for tracking the time, that is, the meantime to detect (MTTD) and the meantime to resolve (MTTR). They can also find a way to build a KPI that measures the number of instances of port scans experienced in a week or a month."

What is our primary use case?

I basically use it to look at the logs that are coming in, analyze those logs, and get recommendations of where we have problems.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Under the new system, it is not upgradable the way they say. When you try to do an upgrade, it doesn't really work unless you dump everything and start from scratch. You lose a lot of your nodes. Whenever you set your nodes up and everything else, they don't want to bring those nodes back in, so you have to really go back and restructure all your nodes. I went from version 6.5 to version 6.6 and then to version 6.7. I then went to version 2019, and now it is version 2020. It would be good if we can upgrade without having to delete everything and start from scratch.

I have been using SolarWinds LEM for a year and a half.

Security Information and Event Management (SIEM)
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about SolarWinds, Splunk, AT&T and others in Security Information and Event Management (SIEM). Updated: July 2022.
622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable.

It is scalable. Altogether, we have about five actual users. I got myself as the administrator, and then there are a couple of people who do the monitoring. I have got 2,000 systems listed on it.

In terms of a team, I would say you need at least three people for what I am doing. I am using the key research logs and pulling data from these logs. For one person, it takes a lot of time to do what I am doing right now.

I am very satisfied with their technical support.

I had another system, but I wasn't happy with it and its service and support. We just let it go.

The initial setup is straightforward. The actual initial installation is not a problem. The problems come when you do your upgrades with it.

It took about a week to set it up and get all little things going in the way I wanted to. To make sure that correct data logs are going in, I tweaked some of the rules and filters and the domain across the net with individual systems.

We originally started out with the seller, but when we did the first upgrade, it didn't go the way it should. From that point, I set it up from scratch and did the upgrade. At that time, it was version 6.6.

It is in the appropriate mid-range. It is not as expensive as some of the other solutions. It is also not cheap.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend SolarWinds LEM. We plan to continue using it. We have already put in the Orion platform system and brought it into play. We are next looking at the server access management. That probably would be the next step to implement.

I would rate SolarWinds LEM a ten out of ten.

Kumar Mahadevan - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Infrastructure Analyst at AG Group
Easy to install and will tell you such things as Failing MS SQL Server backups (Full, Diff or Transactional) etc
  • "It's extremely easy to deploy."
  • "It won't tell you when your backups are failing, but it will give you hints when your database is running on full recovery."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for privilege account monitoring. It's monitoring admin accounts for things such as who logged in, where they logged in from, what time they logged in, and from what devices they used Remote desktop, with the privileged accounts.

It's a good tool to do troubleshooting, you can see extensive Info about Kerberos User Auth tickets or Windows Kerberos Machine Auth tickets, which can alert you to say , failing Kerberos Authentications due to incorrect NTP (Network time).

How has it helped my organization?

We're able to do a bit more in terms of forensic analysis.

I am able to correlate  the S.A.M. Service Applications Monitoring in SolarWinds ORION Platform.

I can trace back several things including the performance at a certain date and time.

What is most valuable?

It's extremely easy to deploy.

The LEM 6.6, if it's a Windows host, you use the 64-bit or 32-bit installer, and  install it. Immediately, you'll start seeing Windows SYSTEM, SECURITY and Application Logs from the host where you deployed the Agent. So, this makes the deployment very easy to install.

On a daily basis, it's good for PKI monitoring.

It's very good for troubleshooting, and data monitoring. It gives you an advanced warning with your backups. If you have no monitoring tool in place, SolarWinds SIEM is a good place to start and very inexpensive.

What needs improvement?

They need to do better with the Connectors. I had to battle with the IIS Web server Connector that comes built in with this product. No matter how I configured the IIS Web connector, I never saw SW pull in any IIS logs from my hosts , where Agent was installed.?

They have over 500 connectors, but in my experience only handful work. Also there's no PowerShell Logging connectors, if you want to pull in PowerShell Logging logs from your hosts into the SIEM.

SolarWinds LEM is a product that I have been using for approximately a year and a half.

Very stable. It seems backend database is PostgreSQL and needs no maintanence.

Not very scalable in my opinion. That's why I'm investigating new SIEM replacement.

good. can be hit or miss sometimes, but sometime you get some good tech support over there.

With this company, there was no real SIEM and no real use cases before I deployed it. Because of that, I can develop the use cases the educate the management on what they need in terms of SIS security monitoring.

Very easy setup.

in-house.

very good.

Easy setup, very cheap and licensing cost is very fair and easy to understand

There was no time. Just read several reports from Gartner, IT Central etc. I did try ManageEngine , but it was a product which was already in Test phase implemented by my predeccesor

What other advice do I have?

n/a

Security Information and Event Management (SIEM)
July 2022
622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Program Manager at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable but needs better correlation and automation
  • "SolarWinds' stability is fine. I don't think we've had any software issues."
  • "SolarWinds should improve its correlation capabilities. The correlation does not automatically detect and reduce the events fast enough. You have to manually do a correlation report, which means the tool is not scalable in many ways."

What is our primary use case?

We use SolarWinds as a kind of SIEM solution, so I don't have other additional security needs. Lately, we've been exploring other solutions. We are a Managed Security Services Provider, and we have nine people predominantly working on that solution. We also have team members who work on multiple solutions.

What is most valuable?

Lately, all of the solutions continue to improve, so I believe SolarWinds will also improve. But all the solutions need to have the same features, so I don't see any specific feature that needs to be more user-friendly. There is no unique element that makes SolarWinds better than the others.

What needs improvement?

SolarWinds should improve its correlation capabilities. The correlation does not automatically detect and reduce the events fast enough. You have to manually do a correlation report, which means the tool is not scalable in many ways. Another area that needs improvement is the integration of the IT framework. We are automating the framework using their tools. I think that automation will help.

We've been using SolarWinds for three years.

SolarWinds' stability is fine. I don't think we've had any software issues.

There are some scalability issues with SolarWinds. For example, whether it will be on-prem or on the cloud, there are several things we have to leave with the integrators. Many solutions are integrated. SolarWinds is not convenient enough to meet our current needs and it requires an upgrade, but I'm also thinking about some others. I believe that Azure is doing well as a cloud tool right now.

We're not happy with SolarWinds' support.

Whether SolarWinds is easy to set up depends on what you're doing. Before a technician did the implementation, someone had been tweaking and operating. However, the tool does not support many things or have much to offer.

Licensing cost it's an issue with SolarWinds.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SolarWinds six out of 10. Comparing SolarWinds with Azure, it seems like Azure can do much more, so we are considering switching to Azure. If you are thinking of adopting SolarWinds, I would suggest considering what your business needs. Every business has different requirements. For example, if you're an IoT guy, you don't need tools that will help you with your IT environment. If you're in the manufacturing or oil and gas industry, you have a combination of IT and IoT, so then you'll go for something that fits those needs.

Rick McClure - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Operations & Management Professional at RMC Enterprises
Identifies things that you didn't know were going on in your network, but it needs to be simplified
  • "Some of the rules are most valuable because you can be notified about various things, such as spyware or things that are going on in the internal network."
  • "It is a very technical program. They can simplify it so that it isn't so hard to deal with."

What is our primary use case?

Its use case is to identify and help prevent and block known spyware or ransomware sites. Ransomware sites typically have bad IPs or domain names.

In terms of the version, I have had our clients log in and update the version a few times.

What is most valuable?

Some of the rules are most valuable because you can be notified about various things, such as spyware or things that are going on in the internal network.

What needs improvement?

It is a very technical program. They can simplify it so that it isn't so hard to deal with.

You can be notified of various things, but you have to configure them. That's the downside. You got to work with it and configure it.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years. When we first started, it was flash-based, and now, it is not flash-based.

It is stable.

Its scalability is good now. Initially, we had some trouble with defining some of the hard drive things with ESXi.

When you get them on the phone, they're good. It could sometimes be tough to connect with them. Sometimes, you find someone who is probably a technician, but you need an engineer.

It is fairly complex, but once we have it installed and running, there is not much need to look at anything. Initially, when you set it up, it'll take a technician about a week to get things running close to right. It also depends on the time he has to sit down and do it.

It will identify things in your network that you just didn't know were going on. It will certainly open your eyes to other things that you might need.

What other advice do I have?

Dot your i's and cross your t's. If you're looking for something specific, then you better specify that when you talk to the sales engineers and the engineers. Always talk to an engineer after you talk to the sales guys, just to confirm that what they said is true and accurate.

For non-Windows or non-Linux devices, they may not have a connector. So, that's where you need to go and ask somebody if it will support your device.

I would rate it a seven out of 10. The only reason for that is some of the complexity of the rules.

Scientist/Engineer-SG at NRSC
Knowledgeable support, useful analysis, but slow support response

What is our primary use case?

We are using SolarWinds Security Event Manager for event analysis.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of SolarWinds Security Event Manager is the analysis and the knowledge about the incidence that we trace.

I have been using SolarWinds Security Event Manager for approximately six years.

The performance and stability of SolarWinds Security Event Manager are good.

The scalability of SolarWinds Security Event Manager is good.

We have approximately 500 users using this solution in my organization.

We used the support from SolarWinds Security Event Manager and they are knowledgeable but challenging to get in contact with them.

The vendor did the setup of SolarWinds Security Event Manager.

We used an integrator for the implementation of SolarWinds Security Event Manager.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend SolarWinds Security Event Manager to others.

I rate SolarWinds Security Event Manager a seven out of ten.

Download our free Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about SolarWinds, Splunk, AT&T, and more!
Updated: July 2022