IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is #6 ranked solution in Network Traffic Analysis tools. PeerSpot users give SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer an average rating of 8 out of 10. SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is most commonly compared to Cisco Stealthwatch: SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer vs Cisco Stealthwatch. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer?
SolarWinds Netflow Traffic Analyzer enables you to capture data from continuous streams of network traffic and convert those raw numbers into easy-to-interpret charts and tables that quantify exactly how the corporate network is being used, by whom, and for what purpose.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer was previously known as Netflow Traffic Analyzer.

Download the Network Traffic Analysis (NTA) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Customers
Oceaneering International, Asia Pacific Network Information Centre, 335th Signal Command, Immofori
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Video

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer pricing:
  • "We pay yearly, and we are happy with its price."
  • "The pricing is reasonable."
  • "While the pricing is fair, it could be better."
  • SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Reviews

Network Services Manager at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Good reporting allows us to proactively deal with bandwidth-related issues
    • "The most valuable feature is the ability to look for any increases in bandwidth over time so that we can plan before it becomes critical."
    • "It's not a cheap product, so the pricing could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for monitoring our bandwidth. We run daily reports, send the data to Tableau, put that in a map of Texas, and look at all of our sites. It tells us if we're nearing 80% and when we need to increase bandwidth.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution helps us to better manage our bandwidth. We have it handled with no problem. We export information every morning so that when everybody gets to work, we can look at it and tell exactly what is going on in terms of bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to look for any increases in bandwidth over time so that we can plan before it becomes critical. We have our threshold set at 80%, which means that when we hit that capacity, it's time to start looking at things like whether there is a problem in the network or whether an increase in bandwidth needs to take place. Essentially, it gives us a tool where we can manage our business proactively instead of reactively.

I have 19 direct reports that use this product.

What needs improvement?

It's not a cheap product, so the pricing could be improved.

We have been using the SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer for about eight years.

This product appears to be very stable.

This product seems to scale just fine. We've got 862 satellite sits we're looking at and we receive data from more than 340 land sites. I'd say that it has scaled very well for us.

We have had really good support. If we have issues then my technical person makes one call and gets help.

Prior to SolarWinds, we were using WhatsUp Gold. We weren't getting out of it what we needed, so we did a trial of SolarWinds and really liked what they saw. That is why we changed.

I was not managing the team when the setup took place, but I didn't hear of any major issues so I would say that the initial setup was pretty straightforward.

in house implementation

We purchased it outright but there are ongoing maintenance fees. From what I have seen, price-wise, it is close to the competitors.

When selecting new products, we always put out an RFI to see who has what out and available. Afterward, we evaluate those and make a selection. The NOC was responsible for choosing the product and then it came over to my team, the network service group. Since the NOC was responsible for the comparison, I don't have information on the other solutions that were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

As this solution is implemented now, we're running fine and it is difficult to see things that can improve. It's giving us all of the information we need. For example, we have SNMP traps set up and we are able to look at offices across the entire state of Texas. It's a pretty big job. We are very much sold on this solution and plan to continue using it.

My advice for anybody who is considering SolarWinds to get the free 30-day trial, install it, test it, and see if it meets their needs. They have a lot of different modules available, so you buy the ones that you need and implement them.

Overall, we are happy with this product. That said, nothing is perfect and there's always something better.

Control Department Head of Information Security at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides good response for managing the traffic, but doesn't provide information about the endpoint that is downloading heavy files
    • "For managing the traffic, it provides you a response about whether the traffic is down, up, or heavy, which is a very powerful feature. It has a good response time. We have been using this solution for many years, and we don't have any problem with this solution."
    • "If your network is on SolarWinds, and you notice that the traffic is bad because it says "user downloading a heavy file," it doesn't indicate which endpoint is downloading those heavy files. SolarWinds doesn't have the tools to be able to handle this kind of situation. You can just notice through your network device that the traffic is becoming overwhelming or heavy, but you cannot go inside and get more details related to the endpoint where it is happening. We would like SolarWinds to be able to handle this kind of situation and even manage the traffic inside a network from the endpoint to the network device. These would be good enhancements. It is mostly stable. The problem comes only when we want to add another SolarWinds model. SolarWinds has so many models, and sometimes when we want to add other models on the platforms that are reserved for our firm, it freezes. When this happens, we have to create a new VM for that model."

What is our primary use case?

We use many SolarWinds solutions. We use SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer mostly for monitoring the traffic and ensuring that everything is working well. We use it to manage and monitor the traffic and check if the connection between the two sites is well.

What is most valuable?

For managing the traffic, it provides you a response about whether the traffic is down, up, or heavy, which is a very powerful feature. It has a good response time.

What needs improvement?

If your network is on SolarWinds, and you notice that the traffic is bad because it says "user downloading a heavy file," it doesn't indicate which endpoint is downloading those heavy files. SolarWinds doesn't have the tools to be able to handle this kind of situation. You can just notice through your network device that the traffic is becoming overwhelming or heavy, but you cannot go inside and get more details related to the endpoint where it is happening. We would like SolarWinds to be able to handle this kind of situation and even manage the traffic inside a network from the endpoint to the network device. These would be good enhancements.

I have been using this solution for around seven years.

It is mostly stable, but there are issues with stability when you want to add another SolarWinds model to the platform.

It is good for small and medium enterprises. We have ten users who use this solution in our organization. This solution is mostly used by network administrators, and currently, they don't have another project to increase the usage of the solution.

Their technical support is good.

The initial setup isn't complex.

We have an internal team that manages this solution.

We pay yearly, and we are happy with its price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution if your need is really about monitoring the traffic. It gives good feedback for monitoring the traffic, and it is a good solution for that, but if you want to do more than that, I would not recommend this solution.

It is a good solution for small and medium enterprises. It is good for enterprises that are not too big and don't have too many networks.

I would rate SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer a six out of ten.

Network Traffic Analysis (NTA)
    May 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about SolarWinds, Cisco, Auvik and others in Network Traffic Analysis (NTA). Updated: May 2022.
    597,291 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Managing Director at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    Easy to deploy, reasonably-priced, and everything can be managed in one place
    • "The integration with other SolarWinds products is good."
    • "I would like to see more artificial intelligence capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to analyze network traffic flow. For example, we analyze the traffic that is using a lot of bandwidth to determine which application or information stream is responsible.

What is most valuable?

Everything is done in the Orion Suite, so you can look there to find dashboards and reports.

The integration with other SolarWinds products is good. It works well in combination with the other tools.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more artificial intelligence capabilities.

We have been using SolarWinds Netflow Traffic Analyzer for about four years.

This is a very stable product.

Scalability-wise, it is fine.

SolarWinds is a traditional software company, which means that you can get help from them.

SolarWinds is a great product with a lot of possibilities, but also, it is not the Holy Grail. None of these solutions are. The suitability and choice of products depend on what is best for the customers. It's situation-based, and it depends on the requirements.

The initial setup is straightforward and it only takes a couple of hours to deploy. It is easy.

Our in-house team implements and deploys this solution. I also train people on how to use it.

The pricing is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, for my use cases, this product is very good and I recommend it. My advice is that if you decide to implement SolarWinds then they have a few other good products that you can use.

IT Project Lead - Danone North America at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Straightforward to set up and they have good support that is quick to answer questions

What is our primary use case?

SolarWinds, in general, is used for inventory and monitoring. We use the Network Traffic Analyzer module mostly for support and debugging of issues and such.

What is most valuable?

They have instructional videos and other information available on the site to assist you with learning it. Even if you don't have an integrator or somebody teaching you how to use it, you could probably pick it up pretty easily.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better customization capabilities.

We have been using the Netflow Traffic Analyzer for about five years.

The stability is good.

Scalability-wise, NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is fine.

The support is always good. They are good people and they answer questions quickly. They know their product.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

We contracted an integrator to assist us with the initial implementation and deployment.

Now, we're getting ready to redeploy an entirely new suite and we're doing that internally. We are able to do this now because we have a new person on staff who has experience with this type of thing.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it.

Senior System Engineer at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A reliable platform for assessing bandwidth utilization, but technical support could be faster
    • "What I like the most is the bandwidth assessment."
    • "It's scalable, but it could be simplified because it's not completely easy."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for bandwidth utilization.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most is the bandwidth assessment.

What needs improvement?

It's scalable, but it could be simplified because it's not completely easy.

The price could be reduced to make this product more competitive.

Support could have a better response time.

I have been using this solution for two years.

We are using the latest version.

This solution is stable.

It's a scalable product and we plan to continue using it.

The technical support is good.

Previously, we did not use another solution.

It didn't take much to deploy.

We configured feature by feature.

The initial setup was done through professional services.

While the pricing is fair, it could be better.

What other advice do I have?

I am quite satisfied with this solution and I would recommend it for anyone who is considering using SolarWinds Netflow Traffic Analyzer.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Chief Executive Officer (CEO) at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Offers great software management tools

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of SolarWinds is to see exactly what's going on in the network.

What is most valuable?

I find the IT Operation Management Suite, the software management tools from SolarWinds, to be very useful for our customers.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see some additional security and more efficient support for the solution.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. We have around 100 customers using Analyzer.

Technical support is fine but they need to improve their response time.

The initial installation was quite straightforward, we were able to do it ourselves and it took a couple of hours.

Licensing fees are reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution and rate it nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
    Download our free Network Traffic Analysis (NTA) Report and find out what your peers are saying about SolarWinds, Cisco, Auvik, and more!
    Updated: May 2022