IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise is #14 ranked solution in top Relational Databases. PeerSpot users give SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise an average rating of 8 out of 10. SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise is most commonly compared to SQL Server: SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise vs SQL Server. SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.

Download the Relational Databases Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

What is SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise?

With SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise (SAP ASE), you can handle massive volumes of data and thousands of concurrent users to accelerate the growth of new data-driven business applications. Drive value with a faster, more efficient transactional system that is designed to meet the demands of the digital economy.

SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise was previously known as SAP ASE.

SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise Customers

City of Buenos Aires, ASR Group, Citrix, EarlySense, Usha International Limited, Automotive Resources International (ARI), Takisada-Osaka Co. Ltd., Coelba (Grupo Neoenergia), RZD Russian Railways, National Basketball Association - NBA, TALLY

SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise Video

Archived SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise Reviews (more than two years old)

ChrichtianNeal - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Officer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A completely customized solution that's stable and offers excellent technical support
  • "The actual interface is good."
  • "Because the solution is customized. we do occasionally face unique bugs. There are always some changes that need to be made here and there."

What is our primary use case?

SAP ERP offers an integrated financial management system for real-time interactions between two separate but dependent financial bureaus to track cash flow management.  The SAP system runs across four servers (Win Server 2008 R2) for development, testing and production purposes. All server are virtually hosted on vmWare EXSi server.

How has it helped my organization?

SAP ERP offers us a robust platform where financial stakeholders spend less time collating and sourcing out records and implementing payments. The seamless collaboration has improved access to timely and valuable resources and at the same time reduced redundancies and errors.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is that it's customized for our operations. It's a special package that we have; it's not like a regular one that's out-of-the-box. Every time we have to remodel some part of it, or every time there needs to be some modification made, we work with the team from Mississippi to improve the system. It's continuously being updated and streamlined. The actual interface is good.

What needs improvement?

The product in use is already customized. For now, we have no need for major improvements or new features.
May 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Oracle, Microsoft and others in Relational Databases. Updated: May 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We've been using the solution for two years.

The stability of the solution is good. We haven't faced any issues.

The solution, in our case, doesn't have a need to scale up. It's optimized for a smaller scale. If we do need to scale up, I'm sure it's possible, however, we didn't design the solution for this purpose. Currently, we have 30-40 users on the solution and they use it daily.

We're in constant contact with technical support. They help us troubleshoot problems often and are quite good.

The initial setup was a bit complex. Deployment didn't take more than two months.

We had a consultant set up the Virgo servers and then we had two professionals from FTC set everything up. The setup was a collaboration between Google IT and very technical team members.

Every user needs a license, so for every new user will come with a cost. If we add users, we need to buy licenses for them. The solution is kind-of expensive. It's a very good ERP, however. I don't know how to calculate the costs versus the benefits. If someone has the capital, I believe they should go for it, and they should go for the full innovation package where they can incorporate even areas like IT or HR planning and get everything included. For some, the cost should probably be something to consider before implementing the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're using a whole package of software from SAP. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. There's nothing the solution needs to improve, although no solution is perfect. There are just minor technical bugs that we need to contend with occasionally. We also need some things that were not part of the original design. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. The solution is very good. We do have a few problems here and there, but technical support is right there to assist whenever anything arises.

it_user725928 - PeerSpot reviewer
Programmer and Analyst with 1,001-5,000 employees
An easy to learn and use solution for storing data

What is most valuable?

• Price
  • Stability
  • Easy to use
  • Easy to learn
  • Powerful SQL
  • Transact-SQL
  • Query optimizer

How has it helped my organization?

Cheaper, sufficient solution to store data, 400GB.

What needs improvement?

Better promotion. Sybase seems little known. I noticed it on DB websites.

18 years, with the last four years using it at intervals (app changes and administration).

After version 12.0, there have been no issues.

No, but I am a developer.

It is sufficient for me. As for our customers, it is okay.

It is okay.

I used DB2 on AS400. It was great. I switched due to an employer switch.

Installation and setup is straightforward above version 12.x. Learn usage, too.

Developers would not dealing with licenses when doing install and using it. Simply install and use.

Decision was made by the project leaders.

What other advice do I have?

Sufficient, robust, power DB. Oracle is more powerful, complex, and expensive, with a different philosophy on batch and SQL and has broader usage of functions.

May 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Project and IT Architecture Manager at a security firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

• OLTP features
  • Robustness
  • Reliability

How has it helped my organization?

We receive millions of events from our customers and ASE. We are able to process them with thousand of operators working concurrently 24/7.

Usual activity is 1900 user & application connections, 1,500 transactions/sec, and 38,000 queries/sec

What needs improvement?

Cluster features: The Cluster Edition didn't get the same level of reliability as the Enterprise Edition did.

I have been using it for the last 20 years.

During the last 20 years, I have never had a stability problem with this product. Small specific bugs, but not affecting 24/7 operations.

Old versions had problems with scalability, due to blocking issues with high concurrence. After version 15, this was improved.

I have had no problems with tech support. Most of the issues were related to licensing problems. For bugs, we got quick fixes or workarounds.

We used MS SQL. We switched to ASE due to the scalability of the solution. We still use MS SQL in other small solutions.

Compared to other database engines, I think it's one of the easier ones, in terms of initial setup.

If you have more than one SAP product, it's good to take advantage of the platform licenses because you can move them from one product to another on demand.

Yes, Oracle Database with RAC. We considered it more complex to setup, maintain, and it's more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Check the new Hana evolution. They are building a new solution that isolates applications to the database layer. It has very interesting features. We are in the process of evaluating it.

Senior Sybase DBA at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Its simplicity of use has a high value, but it needs better marketing.

What is most valuable?

It is difficult to say which features are most valuable for me. I believe that any set of features are valuable and that depends on specific intent and situations, but only simplicity of use has a high value in any case.

How has it helped my organization?

ASE is designed primarily for use on high-end servers and, according to Sybase, is especially good at handling online transaction processing (OLTP) workloads. Unfortunately, I cannot share any further information regarding how my organization uses the product.

What needs improvement?

In my view, this product is underrated and needs more aggressive/active advertising in the business world. I believe that SAP started it on the right way when they optimized SAP ASE 16 for SAP Business Suite applications, because this can help businesses to improve operational efficiency and significantly reduce overall costs.

The first time I was faced with RDBMS Sybase ASE was in 2005; before that, I worked with Oracle databases. My acquaintance with Sybase ASE was very unique. I worked for a financial institution on a developer position, where my task at that time was to create software that allowed people without strong IT skills to migrate from v12 to v15 in around 160 branches. For this reason, I started to learn the Sybase database and DBA routines before really starting my main task. Since 2005, I have worked very closely with Sybase ASE 12.0 & 12.5 as a developer and later, after migration to version 15.X, as a database administrator. At the same time, I was acting as chief of the relevant department.

I have not had any very serious issues (mostly on Windows platform), but if all the required pre-installation/deployment steps are performed with accuracy, then the DBA/System Administrator probably will not encounter any issues during installation/deployment.

Yes, but only one time. The issue was related with a Java applet that was run on the same server as the database. An error in the applet-code caused, from time to time, another instance of the to applet run. A gradual rise in memory that the applets used led to us running out of memory that the database server demands.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability. The system allows you to easily scale the amount of users, data and transactions for very large database environments.

It's not bad; I can’t say that there has been anything significant.

I would rate the level of technical support as mostly very good. Whenever I needed help/advice from support, I received it on time.

In most cases businesses choose software products that they need for daily business activity; unfortunately, a database in most cases is not an option. Within my recollection, there was only one time in the company that I worked for in the past that changed business software as well as the database related to it.

In my view, the official initial setup guide is very well-documented and anyone can find this information on 'The SyBooks Online' infocenter (definitive source for Sybase documentation on the internet). As a result, the initial setup is very straightforward in most cases. However, some difficulty can be experienced with the SAP ASE servers that are configured with a failover in a high availability system, but most companies don't use this very often.

I believe that Sybase ASE, can help enterprises advance through operational efficiencies and significantly increase ROI in today’s operational climate of big data, voluminous users and massive online transactions, when businesses need a leading-edge database system to keep them moving full speed ahead on path possible irregularities.

What other advice do I have?

This product has my complete confidence. ASE is very reliable and an easy-to-maintain product, with far reaching functionality and a cost which is less than other similar products. I believe that in the foreseeable future I could rate this product 10/10, but now it should be a little bit less.

My advice concerning not only this product, but any product, is to be honest and don't be prejudiced into making a decision about a product because of the vendor's reputation. Businesses should make the choice not based on general tendency, but on real needs. I believe you already follow it if you chose SAP ASE.

Download our free Relational Databases Report and find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Oracle, Microsoft, and more!
Updated: May 2022