IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Proxmox VE OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Proxmox VE is #2 ranked solution in best Server Virtualization Software. PeerSpot users give Proxmox VE an average rating of 8 out of 10. Proxmox VE is most commonly compared to Hyper-V: Proxmox VE vs Hyper-V. Proxmox VE is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 51% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 41% of all views.
Proxmox VE Buyer's Guide

Download the Proxmox VE Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Proxmox VE?

Proxmox VE is a complete virtualization management solution for servers. It is a powerful open-source platform and supports two virtualization technologies - KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine) for virtual machines and LXC for containers. Proxmox VE has a central user interface that allows you to manage not only VMs and containers, but also storage resources, network configuration, and high availability for clusters. It is enterprise-ready and is valued for its scalability and maximum flexibility, enabling you to virtualize very demanding workloads. Proxmox VE makes it possible for you to easily install, manage, and monitor hyper-converged (HCI) data centers.

Proxmox VE Key Features

The Proxmox VE platform has many powerful features, including:

pen-source software, high-available clusters, command line, fencing, a web-based management interface, flexible storage options, REST API, live/online migration, storage replication stack, software defined storage, virtualized networking, backup and restore, two-factor authentication, role-based administration, and VM templates and clones.

Proxmox VE Benefits

Some of the biggest benefits of Proxmox VE are:

• Central management: To manage all tasks of your virtual data center, you can use the central, web-based management interface.

• Unique multi-master design: Proxmox VE allows you to carry out maintenance tasks cluster wide, from any node.

• Minimize downtime: With the integrated live/online migration feature, you can move running virtual machines from one Proxmox VE cluster node to another, without any downtime or noticeable effect from the end-user side.

• Granular access: Using Proxmox VE’s role-based permission management system helps you define granular access to all objects.

• Multiple authentication sources: Proxmox VE supports multiple authentication sources, including Linux PAM, an integrated Proxmox VE authentication server, LDAP, Microsoft Active Directory, and OpenID Connect.

• Several storage options: The Proxmox VE storage model is very flexible and the web interface allows you to add multiple storage types (LVM Group, iSCSI target, NFS Share, SMB/CIFS, Ceph RBD, Direct to iSCSI LUN, GlusterFS, CephFS).

• Collaboration with Ceph: Proxmox VE fully integrates Ceph, giving you the ability to run and manage Ceph storage directly from any of your cluster nodes.

• Scheduled backups: With Proxmox VE, backups can be scheduled so that they automatically run on specific days and times, for selectable nodes and guest systems.

• IT infrastructure protection: Proxmox VE has a built-in firewall that works to protect your IT infrastructure. The firewall is completely customizable, allowing complex configurations via the GUI or CLI.

Reviews From Real Users

Here is some feedback from some of our users who are currently using the solution:

A PeerSpot user who is a director at a tech services company says, “The most valuable features of Proxmox VE are the ease of containerization. Overall the solution is generic, feature-rich, and has compatibility.”

Another PeerSpot user who is a head of IT operations at a tech services company mentions that "In addition to the virtualization, the firewall and the routing functions that it provides are valuable."

Deepen D., director and CTO at TechnoInfotech, expresses that "The feature that I have found most valuable is that its storage container, LVM, and everything else work out of the box."

Proxmox VE Customers

Municipality of Trento, SwitchMIA, inDenova, Valmeita City Council, Alpha IT AS, Grupo Inversor Veracruzano S.A.P.I. de C.V. (GRIVER), Laut und Schoen, IT-Services - Hamburg e.K., KMI Learning, Dynacom Tankers Management Ltd., Serwise AG

Proxmox VE Video

Proxmox VE Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Proxmox VE pricing:
  • "The only thing you pay for is support and it is between $2,500 and $3,000 a year. It depends on the support plan you choose. Support is optional."
  • "To use Proxmox VE there is not a license required. However, you can purchase a support license, which you access, but it doesn't change the functionality of the solution."
  • "Proxmox VE is affordable. It's cheaper than Hyper-V, Huawei Desktop Protocol, and Huawei Desktop Cloud."
  • "Because I'm using Proxmox VE for personal use and it's an AGPL license project, I can use it at home for free."
  • "The way the licensing of Proxmox is structured, you can use it for free. It is an open-source solution, and you can use it for free, but if you do need support, then you have to pay for the support. So, you can use it in a way that you don't have to pay anything, which is a plus point for me. For people or users who have huge and more intense use cases, the advice or the recommendation is to always pay for support. In case something goes wrong, you can fall back on the team that will attend to your request. For me, at the moment, the cost is zero."
  • Proxmox VE Reviews

Kevin Heron - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Operations Manager at Ocient, Inc.
    Rivaling the stiffest and competition in its category this solution suffers only from being young
    • "That the product is free and still has all the features you expect is a huge benefit."
    • "The setup is very easy."
    • "The product is still a little young so it is maturing, but new features are coming out all the time."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as our virtualization platform. It is a hypervisor that we use for our virtual needs to run servers.

What is most valuable?

One of the things that I found most valuable is how easy Proxmox is to deploy. It can run on anything. Right now we are running it on some file servers that we have without any special configuration.   I also like how it has got the same high-availability features as you get in a product like VMware. I get those benefits and I do not have to pay the $17,000 a year for the VMware license to enjoy them.  Because Proxmox VE is open-source, the only expense we have is the support costs. You get an easy to use GUI that you can use to look to see who your virtual clients are and what hosts they are living on. You can also essentially vMotion — which is a VMware term but the feature in Proxmox does the same thing — to transfer a system.   It is host-aware, so if the host Proxmox is living on crashes and there is another host in the cluster, it will automatically failover. That is just a great capability. It also can do the same thing if performance on the given host exceeds a certain threshold. You have the option to configure that as you want it with the product. It will automatically move to a different host to improve performance with the system and, in turn, improve the performance of the application running on it.

What needs improvement?

Really every user interface could use a little bit of improvement. It is already very user-friendly at the present time but there are some ways that it can get even better.   Another area that might have room for improvement is either building in or having third-party tools that could report on CPU and memory usage across your virtual platform. They have those tools for VMware and that helps you to point out resource bottlenecks so that you can right-size a VM. If a VM is soaking up too many resources, it is defeating the purpose of virtualization. Proximo is really missing those kinds of tools right now. You have to do that on your own. So that could definitely be an opportunity for improvement. It is not necessarily just room for Proxmox to grow, it is more of a possibility industry-wide for these products.

I have been using Poxmox VE (Virtual Environment) for the last 12 months.
    Proxmox VE
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Proxmox VE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability of Proxmox is good. It runs well, and they are constantly looking to improve the product. By "they" I mean the core group at Proxmox themselves. But the key part of the updates is everything is well-tested and the goal is obviously to maintain stability while upgrading the functionality.

Proxmox is scalable. Let's say you wanted to add an additional host, or you wanted to add additional hosts just from memory or virtual CPUs, just for additional resources. You could just add a host. You do not need to buy a license to do it. That is better than just scalability, it is scalability without cost.  With VMware, you have to buy a license or you need to use it free for 30 days, but eventually, you are going to have to procure another license. With this product, I can just take whatever server I have, install Proxmox on it, and that is it. I introduce it to the cluster during the install, and everything is up and running.  So it is very, very easy to scale at will. I have not seen any limitations of the product itself that would prevent me from adding additional systems or or other resource into a cluster. By resources, I mean CPU, memory, drive space, or other performance enhancement.  We do not even have to have anybody on staff who is here to maintain the system. It is just another part of the existing architecture that gets monitored by the systems that we already have in place. We have monitoring set up so that we can tell how the system is performing overall. We can generate reports within Proxmox to tell us how it is performing in a given cluster and how many hosts it has.  We plan on keeping it as our virtual platform and we are pretty confident that it can scale with our needs. If our virtual needs increase, then that is exactly what we would do: scale it up. We can just run everything on it — anything not critical that is fine running on a VM. Right now, we are a very small company. There is plenty of room to grow and I do not expect Proxmox will be exhibiting pushback any time soon.

Customer support is the only cost for the product and it is about $3,000 maximum. It depends on the support plan you choose. There are two different plans. If you want a 24 by seven plan or next business day, that is the difference. The plans are a little different but it is all very clearly laid out on their website.   Their support is pretty good. Even if you did not want to pay support, the thing that is great about the product is that it is open-source. There are a lot of knowledgeable users nowadays and the pool is growing all the time. A lot of times you can just Google whatever issue you are having and likely come up with the solution to the problem.

We did use a different solution prior to Proxmox VE, and that would be VMware. At this point, we have been able to migrate from VMware completely and we just use Proxmox.  Before I got here, the company was strictly using VMware for this type of solution. I am not really sure if they looked at other solutions. When I got here I did not even know about Proxmox. I just assumed we were a VMware shop. But after I started, someone had discovered Proxmox and I started reading up on it. It was interesting enough that I started using it. As I did, I thought it felt very familiar. I kept testing and as far as I was concerned I could do everything in Proxmox VE that I was doing in VMware.  The initial deployment of Proxmox did not really have all of the same features as VMware, but that was kind of the expected in a newer open-source product. They added the other features very quickly. How much the product is advancing is especially apparent with this latest release where it has got the same failover concerns as VMware does. They are called "high-availability" features.  So now that you can get all the HA (high-availability) features that VMware has, there are not too many major differences between VMware and Proxmox. The only difference is you get it for no cost. It is easy to use, easy to manage, easy to scale, and there are probably going to be a whole lot more and better things coming down the pipe from them. It really has been a great effort on the part of the developers.

The question of whether it is easy to set up or not really is more like five questions. They are pretty easy questions.  We have the source on a thumb drive. You launch the system install from the thumb drive and the first question it wants answered are "What is the time zone," "What is the host hostname," and "What is the IP address?" There are three of the questions. With those three questions, you just started the installation on the target server.   If you want to get running, there are two more important questions. You answer these questions the installer does its job and installs everything you need on your end and you are done. The two questions are "What is your username?" and "What is your password?" You answer those questions and you are done with the installation. You can see it has a high-level of difficulty.  From the time the setup starts, the total time it takes to deploy everything is about 20 minutes. You do not need an integrator, reseller, or consultant to help you out with the installation. You can set up everything yourself.

My advice on the pricing is that there is no pricing: it is free. The only thing you pay for is support and it is like $2,500 a year. The support is completely optional. But even the support is absolutely affordable for just about any company in the market. In any case, it is well below the cost of a VMware license.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people considering the product is that they have nothing to lose. Run it in a development lab, make sure they are comfortable with it, and make sure that the application that their company runs can support that hypervisor. It should. Then deploy Proxmox and start saving money.   I have been encouraging former colleagues of mine that are VMware users to start using Proxmox. I suggest they throw it in their development lab and spin it up and start building systems just so they can see the absolute benefits of this product and really enjoy the fact that they can have it as a solution at no cost.   Proxmox is constantly coming out with updates. If the company you are working for has the appetite to run updates frequently in a production environment you can enjoy frequent releases. They are always looking to add additional features to the product. That is kind of nice. They have a very agile approach to the development of the application itself.   What people are concerned about is that it is open source. But hopefully, they will start to realize all you have got to do is use the product, they do not have to program anything. It has got the same features that VMware has, but it is not as restrictive as VMware because it is open-source and you can actually build on it if you want to.  In VMware, the hypervisor, which is called VirtualCenter, needs to live on its own system. It can not coexist with everything else. Proxmox does not have that issue. Proxmox can have everything living on one system. You will want more than one piece of hardware in a given cluster so you can set it up separately if you want to, but the possibility is there to put it all on one box. I think it is a little bit better than VMware in that sense because you have that flexibility.   On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is best, I would rate Proxmox VE as a seven-out-of-ten. Ironically, I would rate VMware lower than Proxmox because of the price.

Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Feature rich, good compatibility, and impressive fuctionality
    • "The most valuable features of Proxmox VE are the ease of containerization. Overall the solution is generic, feature-rich, and has compatibility."
    • "The documentation in Proxmox VE could improve."

What is our primary use case?

Proxmox VE is used for many sectors, such as medical, IT, and electronics. It is an open-source server management platform.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Proxmox VE are the ease of containerization. Overall the solution is generic, feature-rich, and has compatibility.

What needs improvement?

The documentation in Proxmox VE could improve.

I'm new to this type of solution, there are all these features and options to select in various scenarios, but there's not much documentation out there to explain which option you should be choosing for what, and why. I know there are a lot of YouTube articles, Reddit documentation, and other information where people say if you want to do task A, here's is how, and people follow it blindly. However, nobody understands what they're doing, and why.  I'll tackle any task and develop a solution but I need to understand what I'm doing. I need to understand why I'm selecting certain options, what makes that appropriate, what would make the other option inappropriate, the pros and cons, the whole run-through. I find the documentation lacking.

What I have noticed while I'm running a firewall, FireHOL, which works with DNS, and a media server all runs on my Gen 8 MicroServer. It's an I3350 with 10 gigs of RAM, and I do find that the RAM usage is pretty high. I know I do not have all the RAM allocated to the containers, but I find that the overheads there seem to be pretty high. The high RAM usage comes with input-output latency. I don't seem to have the same problem on the dual Xeon, but again that has infinitesimally more computational power, one would expect that to run quicker.

When it comes to the firewall and other aspects, I'm only looking for a simple solution, low power consumption, good performance at home, to keep my home network on. If the documentation went into a bit more detail on what the overhead requirements of Proxmox VX are and why, and how to optimize, especially when you start bringing in Oracle ZFS and VFS power systems. The RAM usage increases a lot. There's practically nothing about that in the documentation. You have to hunt down the details in VFS, and its functionality elsewhere to figure it out.

On the dual Xeon, for distributed computing, it is running fine. The system is running 24/7 without any problems.

At the moment, one of the limitations is hardware passthrough into containers. To do that, you have to start getting privileged containers. I know there's a lot of hype in the public domain as to the pros and cons of that, and some parts are supported and some are not. It would be interesting to see if technology could develop to the point where we could pass through hardware into containerized applications.

I have been using Proxmox VE for approximately one year.

Proxmox VE is stable and reliable.

Server stability's been phenomenal and I'm running it on several old HP MicroServers. They're Gen 7, using the AMD Turion chips. I've been running it on the Gen 8, I3, 350, and dual CPU E3 in Xeon. there are some performance differences based on what the hardware's capable of, but no matter what platform I run it on there has not ever been any stability problems whatsoever.

The scalability is good. If you're working with generic processor models, it's easy to shift them across different platforms once you place the CPUs.

I have not needed to use the support from Proxmox VE. I have found all the answers I have needed online from user groups and Wiki support pages.

I rate the documentation and community support from Proxmox VE a three out of five.

I have used previously VMware and VirtualBox. Both are installs that have been on Microsoft Windows, and I found them both to be very limiting, very difficult to set up and manage. Proxmox VE, I found to be the easiest to use, quickest in terms of response, and has the best functionality.

The initial setup is very easy. Once you get the hang of it, setting up the VMs, containers, and deploying them is incredibly quick.

The setup for most of the configurations is similar, once you understand the concepts and the principles, it comes down to basics. You know your hardware and what you're setting up, and what it's capable of doing. You can't set up older generation hardware and then expect to have PCI Express Passthrough or GPU Passthrough, because the hardware doesn't support it.

You can't expect the solution to do what the base hardware is not capable of doing. Work within the constraints of the hardware, understand your hardware, and the OS.

You can download the solution and it is an open-source installation, it is exactly the same as their commercial solution.

The maintenance of the solution depends on how you've set it up. If you've only set it up as a functional hypervisor, you have your VMs running, and that's the last thing you did, then you're going to have to come back every two weeks or every month to check on your OS updates, upgrades, and security patches, et cetera. However, you can automate a lot of that with Cron jobs. It's about learning the system which is based on Debian. If you understand Linux and Debian, you will understand how powerful the system is and what you can actually do with it. When you start running things, such as Monits or syslogs, you can automate any error messaging or any problems and it can be sent to your system administrator in an email.

Whether it's a case of regular backups that are happening, if everything is working well, then great, but if one fails, an I/O error or other errors pop up and you get notified of it quickly, then you can fix it easily. If you're only coming in every four weeks to have a look at it and see what's going on, things could have gone horribly wrong.

I would suggest to anybody who's running a hypervisor, is schedule regular backups. Back up your VMs regularly. Schedule it. Automate it, and make sure it happens on a separate machine, onto a separate machine, onto a separate host- because you don't want to lose your VM with all its backups.

If you've taken the time to set it up well with all your Cron jobs and automation, there will be almost zero maintenance.

I rate the implementation of Proxmox VE a five out of five.

To use Proxmox VE there is not a license required. However, you can purchase a support license, which you access, but it doesn't change the functionality of the solution.

Their licensing is very similar to other solutions, such as Canonical and Ubuntu. The full OS is available to you. If you want the support, you will need to pay a license fee.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others wanting to implement this solution is if you're looking to virtualize, ask yourself why. In terms of bringing your costs and energy consumption down, never mind the whole global eco-footprint hype that everybody wants to get onto. The reality is, for any business, keeping a business afloat is about dollars and cents, and if you can accomplish your IT tasks at a lower cost and expense, have better utilization of hardware, you've probably already hacked a path to what way to move forward.

Instead of spending hundreds of thousands on multiple servers, to then have a less than 5% utilization on each machine, while they using up 500, 600 watts of power, is not efficient. With virtualization, you're running multiple VMs on one physical piece of hardware. You get much better utilization out of it, you're getting much more for the money you are paying, and without any significant drop in performance.

When one considers the internal networking on the VM, where you have different VMs and your containers are running on internal networks. You're not limited to gigabits or 10-gigabits throughputs. It runs on the PCI Express speeds on the board, it is a lot quicker.

I rate Proxmox VE an eight out of ten.

Proxmox VE
    June 2022
    609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Operations Director at Clear Basics Ltd
    An open-source server management platform with a useful Software RAID feature, but backup and recovery could be better
    • "I like that it's secure, and I find its Software RAID very useful. It's way better than the Hardware RAID I was used to. I'm really impressed by their Software RAID feature."
    • "Backup and recovery could be better. It's a bit problematic. If you're not well-versed with Linux, it tends to be a bit of a challenge when setting up and recovering. It's not really GUI-based, and if you're not a good Linux user, it becomes a bit difficult. In the next release, I would like to have something like Hyper-V's Data Protection Manager, where you could do an offsite backup and keep a copy. I haven't seen that incorporated yet, but I'm sure they will do that."

What is our primary use case?

I use Proxmox VE to host a domain control environment, a Windows server environment, and to host a few apps that I publish on the store. I'm also using it to manage clients' remote surveillance backups because I keep my clients' CCTV footage.

I set up an NVR environment, and I'm pushing traffic to my servers. I'm running a mini data center. It's doing apps. It's doing Windows Server Management for a normal environment. It's nothing fancy, but it's working.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's secure, and I find its Software RAID very useful. It's way better than the Hardware RAID I was used to. I'm really impressed by their Software RAID feature.

What needs improvement?

Backup and recovery could be better. It's a bit problematic. If you're not well-versed with Linux, it tends to be a bit of a challenge when setting up and recovering. It's not really GUI-based, and if you're not a good Linux user, it becomes a bit difficult.

In the next release, I would like to have something like Hyper-V's Data Protection Manager, where you could do an offsite backup and keep a copy. I haven't seen that incorporated yet, but I'm sure they will do that.

I have been using Proxmox VE for more than five years.

Proxmox VE is a stable solution. I don't have that much money to buy new hardware or new servers, and I have more or less deployed it on the old used servers I purchased online. It's been a breeze. Until I make money to buy the high-end servers, I'm just purchasing used servers or end-of-life servers, and they're running. For a third-world set up, they're running well. For 25-plus years, it's been a good solution for me.

Proxmox VE is a scalable solution. When I get a new host or a new client, I'll probably buy a new server and add it to the node or the cluster. It's just a breeze. It's as simple as a click, and I have added it.

I have about 20 clients. My clients are about seven schools, gas stations, coal, utilities, a bank, two small microfinance banks, and the government.

I am thinking of doing more. I am thinking of setting up a mini data center with it because we have done the proof of concept for CCTV storage. People don't have the space or the money to do their own backup and store their own footage. Part of my solution is selling them storage that they can retrieve from their devices. I store their CCTV data in my data center and give them a remote view. You don't need to have an NVR.

When I sell a surveillance solution, you don't even have to have an NVR. Give me a firewall, and then I will point your storage to come to my server. I'm the one in the neighborhood storing information at the moment.

The forums have everything you need. I haven't had any challenges because the forums are there. I have yet to get the paid subscription support. I have yet to find an installation that has given me a challenge that I can only resolve by subscribing for support.

I was using Hyper-V from VMware, but Microsoft kept crashing. It takes a lot of investment here in Africa. I need to invest a lot in power because master machines crash. Windows and power are not the best of mates. After that, I moved to Huawei Desktop Protocol and Huawei Desktop Cloud. That also had issues with the support and licenses. Then we moved to Proxmox, and it's been working.

The initial setup is straightforward. It was hard at first, but I went over the forums. After I went over the forums, I did the YouTube tutorials and videos, and after that, I managed my clients well without paying for a bit of support. Surprisingly, I have been running for about five years.

It doesn't take hours because I've deployed on two nodes, and I've deployed on three nodes. Currently, I'm running it on four nodes, and it's doing great. So, with every installation, I tend to get better.

On a scale from one to five, I would give my initial setup experience a four.

I had some support. I've got over 12 years of experience working with Twitter, Uganda. Now Twitter, Uganda is a multinational, and the rest of the group supports the partners. I've had a bit of guidance when it comes to switching, routing, storage, and databases.

When I went out on my own, I used that background knowledge and the background skills I obtained through the years, and they helped me out. I didn't have any outside tech support to help. The tutorials were there, and the videos were available on YouTube.

I have a guy who does the power because he's got to stabilize the servers. Then I've got a guy who does the networking. He gives me the IP. He gives me the ports to connect. Then I have the guys who do the installation on-site, especially the Windows servers. I also have the Linux guys. It's a team of about four people. The rest are juniors or what we call apprentices. They help out here. I mostly use students to get the work done.

I'm definitely getting a return on my investment. I'm buying used servers, and I'm charging like I was charging for new servers, and I'm making a good profit on them. I'm repurposing servers, and I'm making a lot of money from repurposed servers using Proxmox, and they're running.

On a scale from one to five, I would rate my ROI at three.

Proxmox VE is affordable. It's cheaper than Hyper-V, Huawei Desktop Protocol, and Huawei Desktop Cloud.

I made a comparison with Hyper-V and Huawei. I bought Proxmox because it's cheaper and more resilient to our power environment. We have very unstable power in the country, so Hyper-V and sudden breaches in power were problematic.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential clients about the ease of use. What's quite surprising is that Microsoft is going that way now, but these guys had that solution there back in the day.

Microsoft is doing Software RAID with Server 2019. These guys already had that solution back in that day. They're doing cloud spaces, but Linux had SAFE back in the day.

I'll tell them it's a cheap option. It's a stable option. I know Microsoft has done a lot in trying to get stable, but it's an affordable option. It's a stable solution, and it just works off the fly like that.

You watch the video, use a storage guy, have a power guy, and have a good networking guy. You could get the service up and running compared to having a Microsoft MVP somewhere in a corner or on-call somewhere.

The releases are killing us. It's like they keep releasing every year. I would wish for them to come with something very stable. They keep coming up with something new every six months because I think their release cycle is every six months. I'm trying to finish something, and they release something new altogether, and I have to migrate. I know the iterations are as minimal as possible, but it still has an impact.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give  Proxmox VE a seven.

Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Simple to use and feature rich but challenging to update
    • "Proxmox VE is simple to use and it is feature rich. The fact is that it performs,"
    • "The only issue I have with Proxmox VE is updating it. You have to manually update it or you have to have a way to update it automatically."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Proxmox VE is for virtualization and a little bit of SaaS storage, basically for virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

Proxmox VE is simple to use and it is feature rich. The fact is that it performs,

What needs improvement?

The only issue I have with Proxmox VE is updating it. You have to manually update it or you have to have a way to update it automatically.

The main area for improvement is with the automatic updates, if it's even possible, even if you have to pay for the cloud services. Updates are very important.

If they could fine tune the updating process that would be good.

I have been using Proxmox VE for two years.

Proxmox VE is stable. We have a few issues where all of a sudden you can't update it, because maybe you have taken too long to update the repository. This is a concern for us. Like I mentioned before, the updating feature is very important to us because there could be some security issues.

There are a lot of actions that you need to do with commands, which have not been automated yet. I believe that with time it will be automated.

In terms of scalability, we didn't have any need for scaling because just the fact that you can put them in a cluster and manage one unit is a very good feature. I don't have to manage it individually, I can just put them together in a cluster and manage them for one single piece. I'm about to test the backup feature and also maybe upgrade it to the next version, which is 7.0. I'm expecting that there will be a lot of improvement.

Right now we have about six users on a project that I'm deploying. I'm still managing the project, but due to COVID it has gone on for two years, but we're just about to hand it over. Because of the COVID issue, nobody wants to come to one place to sit down and do anything. All of last year was just wasted, but this year we're able to do a number of things with them. The manual process of updating one by one is relatively stable. In the account, you have to centralize the management. You have to log in one by one and you can have a different password for for each one, it's not unified. They have not unified the authorization process.

One thing I have noticed is that because I put a password on one it is expecting me to manually put a password on the other node. I would expect that for better management you can have the same propagating password. Maybe there's a better way to do it, but that's what I have been seeing and I found that I have to be doing this for each one on each node. That is an issue, but so far it's been very good. It's been very stable. I never had any issues with it. It's cool stuff.

I  really like the software storage. I used it on one of the cloud servers that we set up and it's working very well.

We do plan to increase the usage in the future.

Proxmox VE is very simple to use.

The deployment took a long time, but it was not because of Proxmox. It was some other issues for other projects. Installing the Proxmox software is very easy. It just takes a day or two.

We did it in-house.

Our license is on a yearly basis.

There are no other costs, just the license fee and the license is flexible. You could decide to go subscription only or you could decide to pay for support.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering Proxmox VE is that they should study it to understand it, because it is feature reach, so you have to read the manuals. They have to read the manual and unfortunately the manual training level is on the high side, so for people who are experimenting or who are just coming into the free version, it might be a little bit hard for them. Proxmox should try and market more on the training side so users can speed it up and have a good adoption. I hear that people understand the product very well, because right now I don't think it has a rival. It's trying to beat the Oracle VM or the other VMs in the market.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Proxmox VE a seven.

Technical Presales Consultant/ Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
    An extremely stable and scalable open-source solution
    • "The solution is extremely scalable."
    • "A feature which should be added is the ability to encrypt the main installation."

What is our primary use case?

I have Proxmox VE, which is based on Debian Linux, installed at home. It's part of my virtualization now. It allows one to create  virtual machines in containers. We basically created a web interface. My test environment and pfSense are installed on the solution for building the data center. I am using version seven, which is the latest version that was recently released. I've been working with Proxmox since version two.

The solution can be used to virtualize environments, as well as for containers, similar to that of VMware, Hyper-V, Nutanix and OpenStack. Proxmox takes a different approach. It provides one single user interface to configure the virtual machines, the containers, the management and everything else. It's based on Debian Linux, using KVM. The web interface replaces the need to deal with the command line. It allows a person to create virtual machines and is very user-friendly. It's an amazing product.

What needs improvement?

A feature which should be added is the ability to encrypt the main installation. The address cannot be encrypted when installing the solution as an operating system. However, because it's a Debian based project, one can always install Debian Linux, encrypt it and then install Proxmox on top of that.

While my experience with the solution is still very new, there are many features that need to be added for the backup part, not the one involving virtualization. While we are talking about a complete solution, it would be amazing if this issue concerning the backup part were to be addressed.

I have been using Proxmox VE for five years.

The solution is really stable.

The solution is extremely scalable.

I never tried the Proxmox tech support. As it is an open source project, they have a good community online. So, I did not find any trouble googling the issues I faced and finding solutions for them.

The installation takes 30 minutes. It's not that hard, as it is on a GUI. There's an interface to it involving one's country, the email address, password and IP address that one wishes to use. That's it. It will handle everything else.

Because I'm using Proxmox VE for personal use and it's an AGPL license project, I can use it at home for free. Enterprise support can be provided, although I have never tried this and always took advantage of the community subscription. Once I installed the solution, I replaced the enterprise repository to the community one. I don't get all the goodness of Proxmox VE, but that is okay.

What other advice do I have?

I utilize the solution solely for personal use, for my home net. I have a home server in which VMware is installed. I had to reinstall this on a monthly basis, which was a nightmare. One day I came across the solution, installed it into the server and it's been working like a charm ever since.

They recently also released a backup solution, which is now in its second release. I think they also recently released version two. This backup solution can work with Proxmox to backup the Proxmox VMs. In terms of Proxmox, it really is an amazing product. I can't think of anything critical to say about it, to be honest. One can scale it and it allows for high visibility virtual machines can be replicated. One can do many things with the solution which would  be a nightmare to do in data centers. Proxmox VE makes it much easier to do.

When it comes to the solution, there is much integration involved. It's like it's own ecosystem, as Proxmox was making virtualization platforms and mail gateways before. Now, Proxmox offers its own backup solution. In the past, I would have had to use Veeam to backup the Proxmox virtual machines. Also, the restore wasn't so seamless. But, Proxmox offers its own backup solution for doing agentless backups and restores. It allows for five restores and even instant VM recovery, same as Veeam. It's just amazing.

We are talking about the native ability to encrypt the storage. Lets say, for example, that I want to install Proxmox on the server, but I want the server to be encrypted. This means that, should I dispose of the hard disk, nobody would be able to decrypt my data.

My advice to others is to dive in straight away. Don't hesitate.

I rate Proxmox VE as a ten out of ten.

Head of IT Operations at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reduces infrastructure cost, comes with many additional functions, and can be used for free
    • "In addition to the virtualization, the firewall and the routing functions that it provides are valuable."
    • "Its user interface can be improved. In the version that I am using, not all functions can be performed by using the UI. There can be some improvement on that. I'm assuming that it has already been improved in the latest version."

What is our primary use case?

At the moment, it's used for the virtualization of everything within my test environment.

I'm not using the newest version of Proxmox.

How has it helped my organization?

It brings all those benefits that virtualization brings. It reduces cost. I don't have to invest so much in buying many servers. I can go buy one new server with enough resources, and I can virtualize using that server. I can also layer features, such as routing, firewall, HTTP, and VLANs, on top of that.

What is most valuable?

In addition to the virtualization, the firewall and the routing functions that it provides are valuable.

What needs improvement?

Its user interface can be improved. In the version that I am using, not all functions can be performed by using the UI. There can be some improvement on that. I'm assuming that it has already been improved in the latest version.

I have been using this solution for the past three years or so.

It has been absolutely wonderful in terms of reliability and performance.

I see the options for scalability, but for my own use case, I don't have the need to have several instances. It is just for my test environment, but the options that they provide sound interesting. There are some high availability configurations for multiple Proxmox instances.

My environment has about 30 users. It is being used every day. It is an operational tool because the environment has to be up.

The way the licensing is structured is that you have to pay for the support. My use case is just for my test environment. I have not deployed it on production, so I've not had any need for technical support.

I've worked in environments where other solutions, such as VMware, have been used, but personally, I have not used any other solution. This is the first solution I am using as far as virtualization is concerned.

For me, it was straightforward. There are different user levels for things like this, but it was straightforward for me. It takes about a day or two.

I implemented it myself. For its deployment and maintenance, you need a minimum of one and a maximum of two people. The second person is for backup reasons when the primary resource is not available.

I have absolutely seen an ROI. I am not able to measure the actual value in terms of returns, but because I've invested nothing, apart from the cost of the server or the hypervisor upon which the Proxmox is installed, the value that we've got from it has been huge.

The way the licensing of Proxmox is structured, you can use it for free. It is an open-source solution, and you can use it for free, but if you do need support, then you have to pay for the support. So, you can use it in a way that you don't have to pay anything, which is a plus point for me. For people or users who have huge and more intense use cases, the advice or the recommendation is to always pay for support. In case something goes wrong, you can fall back on the team that will attend to your request. For me, at the moment, the cost is zero.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise that you weigh your use cases very well before deciding whether to use Proxmox or not. It meets the needs of my use case, and I don't have any reason to complain. If there is a switch or change in my use case, I might decide to not use Proxmox. I might consider some other solution.

If you want to run Proxmox without paying for support, like any open-source solution, you have to read the documentation and be familiar with all the dependencies and requirements for your environment. Once you have all of that covered, you are good.

I would rate it a nine out of 10.

DEEPEN DHULLA - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director & CTO at TechnoInfotech
    Out-of-the-box, is easy to learn compared to other vendors, and is easy to deploy
    • "The feature that I have found most valuable is that its storage container, LVM, and everything else work out of the box."
    • "It could have more security updates such as when a new threat is coming into market."

What is our primary use case?

We use the open-source version of Proxmox for automation and other uses, including LXC containers. We use it for my enterprise applications and to offer our hosted cloud-services.

How has it helped my organization?

Proxmox with Ceph Storage as HCI has given really peace of mind to Management & IT for regular hardware maintenance, with near to zero downtime or no downtime for most of VM & LXC container keeping in mind service running round-the-clock for customer.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is that its storage ZFS & Ceph, container based on LXC and everything else works out of the box. Additionally, it is a really stable, reliable, and scalable solution.

They have a good road map already in place, so I don't think there are any immediate challenges.

What needs improvement?

I don't have any real challenges about improvement here. (As most IT required features are included and they do have roadmap). Plus API & Command tool is lot helpful.

I personally keep exploring other players and backup/Restore/DR software.

And believe more advance features of backup/restore & DR Data Sync for Ceph  on GUI fronted would be added benefits for users coming from other platform.

On Security/Firewall/Software-Defined-Switch with more advance feature on webGUI would be also more helpful too.

I have been using Proxmox VE for more than six years.

Proxmox VE is an enterprise solution, it is used daily. Its regular maintenance is normal, the way you would maintain any normal infrastructure. There is nothing special or complex with it. We have a team of five people who maintain it, but there aren't any complex challenges.

My company is very small but I have more than 10,000 users accessing on ProxmoxVE Cluster. We provide the solution to other customers.

The thing about this solution is that is so stable I hardly need any technical support.

We used Raw Linux Virt-manger for per Server management for VM & LXC before, without any central management.

Everything has a learning curve, steps to watch, understand and explore. But with Proxmox there are hardly any challenges. I don't think the deployment took more than an hour.

Its was inhouse.

License & Support-subscription & running maintenance cost is bear minimum compare to other closed source solutions. We were able to use our other existing commodity server part of this cluster.

Recently, I have been a Proxmox reseller. I wanted to promote it in India because there is no reseller here. We are trying to promote Proxmox here because being open source it's not popular worldwide, although we have been using it in production for the last more than five or six years. We have been exploring Proxmox for small applications for more than seven, eight years.

Tried Xen, but was not comfortable.

What other advice do I have?

With Proxmox VE you get everything in one box, including the ZFS & Ceph storage & LXC container technology.

Even the support subscription is really good.

It's a wonderful open-source solution. It's out-of-the-box and it is easy to learn compared to other vendors. It is easy to deploy and maintain and you hardly have any trouble or challenges from the software.

It provides peace of mind for management.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Proxmox VE a nine.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
    Ramon  Ruiz - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director IT at Servnet
    Performance and impact are great because of the clusters
    • "It has a good performance and you can cluster it."
    • "It's one of those things for me to move things on to the cloud. It's not so easy. I am always on the laptop and have to monitor that because if you want to make strides; you need to stay online."

What is our primary use case?

We sell Proxmox VE solutions to our customers. The workload to help our customers may be the biggest use case to be on the cloud. We use a bunch of statuses, and different ways to deliver databases, and SQL Servers. So, that's the natural way we use the platform on the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

It has a good performance and you can cluster it.

What is most valuable?

It's more about the clusters. The clusters are pretty much good and have a high performance and impact.

What needs improvement?

For now, we're planning to migrate to another solution because there seems to be a lot of backups that we have set up. We have reviewed Proxmox VE but we want to focus more on our customers. In fact, we have already finished our first deployment and we will receive more features that will go to the cloud.

I have been using Proxmox VE for the past five years.

You don't have to be very observant. We have maybe three times the hard one, but it seems as if this is an open-source solution that is supported by the community, and it's okay.

If you feel you have the skills to do it, you can go hands-on by yourself to do these deliveries, and it's going to be very useful for the solution. You need to have the training and the right skills.

For now, we are pretty much working on that, but I think someday, we will make it solve another class from our class which is very good because we have an installation. If you start from the beginning, it's the third one, maybe you have the profile, so you will deploy it in maybe four days.

So it's what you have to like to go there, but it can work because if you have some problems, you have that resource to go and I found things they will need. They will keep you updated and will help you a lot. So if you ask me, their service is good. The community forum is very technical, and they're quick to respond when they are messaged.

The setup is very easy, but the problem is when you have to customize the solution they're talking about more episodes. You have to be more hands-on to have a very good draft, it will be more helpful to have a very good delivery.

For the price, performance is going to be the first takeaway we can offer to our customers.

What other advice do I have?

It's one of those things for me to move things on to the cloud. It's not so easy. I am always on the laptop and have to monitor that because if you want to make strides; you need to stay online. Though we intend to go with a third party to look for another solution, we hope they will fix that in the next release.

The work panel is very good for intake. It's very easy to use and you can scale from other areas which is not a very technical way, so you can use them, including the panel. They can manage their integrated solutions, and that's very good because it's the thing that you want to scale. If the customer wants to operate a downgrade and do something with Proxmox VE, that is what will take you there. You can integrate Proxmox VE with other solutions. Proxmox VE is one thing if you want to start with cloud deployment.

Private Cloud
    Download our free Proxmox VE Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022