Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Progress OpenEdge RDBMS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Progress OpenEdge RDBMS is #3 ranked solution in top Embedded Database Software. PeerSpot users give Progress OpenEdge RDBMS an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Progress OpenEdge RDBMS is most commonly compared to Oracle Database In-Memory: Progress OpenEdge RDBMS vs Oracle Database In-Memory. Progress OpenEdge RDBMS is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
What is Progress OpenEdge RDBMS?
The Progress OpenEdge Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) is an established, database management system for production systems. The OpenEdge database can support thousands of users and high traffic loads with sub-second response times. It helps to ensure that users are productive, customers are satisfied, and, for SaaS/Cloud computing environments, service-level agreements are met. Some of the key benefits of OpenEdge RDBMS include cost-effectiveness, raises productivity, easy to administer, scalable, and easy to manage. Progress OpenEdge RDBMS has a large shared-memory buffer pool allows up to a terabyte of the database to be cached in memory in a 64-bit OS environment. This gives memory-speed access to the frequently used parts of the database for best performance. In addition, its storage or space management is extendable: architected for expansion and optimized for performance. As a result, OpenEdge RDBMS presents virtually no limitations to the amount of data that can be stored in a single database other than the storage limits of your own computing environment.

Progress OpenEdge RDBMS was previously known as OpenEdge RDBMS, Progress RDBMS, Progress OpenEdge, OpenEdge.

Progress OpenEdge RDBMS Customers
Apero Solutions, Heath Village, International Energy Services, Exact Software, PepsiCo Russia, Pero, SVK, FreshERP
Progress OpenEdge RDBMS Video

Archived Progress OpenEdge RDBMS Reviews (more than two years old)

JindrichStumpf - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager at Galeos
An excellent and extremely reliable database management system
  • "The product can be scaled in any direction and a very nice feature is that you can logically split the database by the value of the data, which is great."
  • "Advanced security would be a good additional feature."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a project manager and we are distributors of the product. Our primary use case of the solution is for the purpose of storing data. The product is a standard relational database.

What is most valuable?

Current key valuable features would be the SSJ (Server Side Join), and logical partitioning.

What needs improvement?

Achieving 99,999% of High Availability within 2020.

I've been using this product for 20+ years.

As mentioned before: Very stabler, it runs and runs.

The product can be scaled in any direction, physically or logically.

Progress offer standard technical support, and they are very responsive if you need it. So they provide 24x7 support and usually the response time is online and within minutes, so we are very happy with it.

I've used many other DBs including Oracle, DB2, Informix, Ingres, Sybase, Postgress, MS SQL. The Progress OpenEdge is simple to administrate (do not need an FTE), and very stable. Once you switch it on, it simply runs and runs.

Initial setup is very straightforward, it would take anyone just a few minutes - it's not rocket science.

If you compare it to Oracle, for example, this database doesn't require an FTE for administration.

Did not calculate it.

One of the unbeatable options which Progress offers to its ISVs is licensing based on PoA (Percentage of Application). This allows to partners to focus on their business despite the fact if the DB is running on premise or cloud.

At the time we did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Advice? Do not be afraid to use a product even from the not-so-known vendor like Progress Software. Except for the RDBMS they have other excellent products, but people do not know them.

Private Cloud
John ONeill - PeerSpot reviewer
Principle consultant at Active Data Consulting Services Pty Ltd
An accessible, rapid prototyping environment which makes capturing business requirements simpler

What is most valuable?

I have been working with Progress OpenEdge 4GL and RDBMS for nearly 20 years now. For developing robust, scalable business applications, I have found myself turning to OpenEdge RDBMS and integrated 4GL languages again and again.

Writing business applications in a fourth generation language, such as Progress, allows one to readily adopt rapid application development, DevOps and agile methodologies.

Prototyping can be done quickly. Straightforward English-like syntax makes learning the language fairly straightforward.

Built-in database support makes working with data sets extremely simple.

Another nice feature is being able to port your application to any environment which supports the Progress OpenEdge RDBMS, allowing the application to remain largely platform/OS agnostic.

How has it helped my organization?

By being able to get more done with less code, development times are reduced, which means quicker to market with new IPs and lower costs.

What needs improvement?

The Windows Character Client.

Nearly 20 years, in the transport, manufacturing, finance, and banking sectors.

None. We have found the OpenEdge RDBMS and integrated 4GL language to be extremely robust. One application we have been maintaining since the late 1990s has been migrated multiple times across on-premise, cloud, operating systems, and so forth, and continues to work just as reliably as it always has.

None. I've personally never had any issues with a Progress database. It's my 'go to' database if I want a database to just run 24/7/365, year-after-year with absolute minimal downtime. As newer versions come along, even major maintenance operations can largely be done online (though no DB can ever be 100% up all the time).

None. Properly tuned and maintained systems can handle very large databases. The main issues you can run into with scalability is code. You need to ensure that your record and transaction scoping are tight.

Also, check index usage and ensure the database is properly structured and the queries are supported by appropriate indexes.

I have used the managed MDBA service that Progress Software Professional Services offer. They are very good and proactive.

Very good, whilst the RDBMS and language are very robust, on the few times I've had to lodge a support ticket, I've found their support teams to be well informed and helpful. We've not had any issues that couldn't be resolved in a timely manner.

I've used other language/database combinations at various times. For business applications in particular, I find the Progress environment to be accessible, rapidly prototyping, which makes capturing business requirements simpler.

The installation process can be a bit confusing for someone who's new to OpenEdge. I would like to see the installation process updated somewhat; entering in combination codes and so forth feels a bit old hat.

Both.

Several 100,000/year in hours have been saved in development costs.

I have found them to be easy to deal with. One recent development with an annual subscription model makes the product a lot more accessible than it used to be. Smaller start-ups should take a look at it.

I also work in COBOL. Though I like COBOL, the Progress 4GL has a number of features which I prefer to use.

What other advice do I have?

I suggest reviewing some of the training materials first and become familiar with frames, code blocks, and similar concepts. Their online training material is very good.