Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Oracle Reports OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Reports is #2 ranked solution in top Software Components vendors. PeerSpot users give Oracle Reports an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Oracle Reports is most commonly compared to Oracle Forms: Oracle Reports vs Oracle Forms. Oracle Reports is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
What is Oracle Reports?
Oracle Reports, a component of Oracle Fusion Middleware is Oracle's award-winning, high-fidelity enterprise reporting tool. It enables businesses to provide instant access to information to all levels within and outside of the organization in a scalable and secure environment. Oracle Reports consists of Oracle Reports Developer - a powerful, declarative WYSIWYG reports design tool and a JEE 5 based Oracle Reports Server with multi-tier architecture to access any data sources, generate reports in any popular format for web and paper, and to burst and distribute reports to any destination. Oracle remains committed to the development of this technology, and to the ongoing release as a component of the Oracle Fusion Middleware platform.
Oracle Reports Video

Archived Oracle Reports Reviews (more than two years old)

FirozAhmed - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Consultant at AOT
Leaderboard
Good dashboard and APIs help provide organizational visibility to high-level management
  • "The reports can be customized based on the requirements."
  • "Depending on which variables are being used in the report, there can be issues related to security."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this solution for generating reports and presenting them to high-level management.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle Reports allows us to analyze things that are going on in the organization, according to customer requirements, and generate reports. It gives us good visibility.

What is most valuable?

The most valuables features are the dashboard and the APIs. I use the dashboard to generate reports.

The reports can be customized based on the requirements. It is possible to create reports using both dynamic and static variables.

What needs improvement?

Depending on which variables are being used in the report, there can be issues related to security.

I have been using Oracle Reports for about one year.

We have had no issues with stability.

Oracle technical support is good.

It takes between five and ten minutes to deploy reports.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Reports are very easy to create and fast to implement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

it_user436161 - PeerSpot reviewer
Programmer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The Grid function, which actually draws out the reports, is not good.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that if a user wants a report with whatever information and in whichever format, we can provide it for them. Also, its ability to provide simple calculations is particularly useful.

What needs improvement?

I really don't like much about Oracle Reports. It's only value, I think, is that it integrates well with our existing Oracle products. The Grid function, which actually draws out the reports, is not good. One little mistake will cause everything to fall apart, and then you have to rebuild from the beginning.

We've had no issues deploying it.

It's stable and it generates a report for you, but we're talking about moving to 11g right now and that's the version that we have issues with.

When you purchase Oracle Forms, you purchase a certain number of licenses, and so it works for a certain number of licenses. We have been able to add additional licenses and users with no problem.

At first, we didn't have a lot of options out there, but now Oracle APEX (Application Express) has come in, and it's really useful as well. We still use Reports but I think we'll be using APEX a lot more.

The initial setup is complex because our network is private.

What other advice do I have?

I think that once we move to APEX, we won't be using Reports anymore.

it_user436167 - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It gives us the capability to track what we have and what the customer's able to see. I absolutely hate the layout with all the little lines and the different panels.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable feature for us has been the ability to provide reports to the customer that's tailored to their needs. They can see the exact data that they want by simply giving us their requirements and we'll create the reports from there.

Improvements to My Organization:

It gives us the capability to track what we have and what the customer's able to see. It lends itself to software configuration management so that we aren't out there creating the same report for two different people. We can use essentially the template of an existing report, and for a completely different application, provide the same capability with a minimum amount of work.

It's expensive, but I think the quality of the product itself is important to our company.

Finally, it provides a standardized look and feel to reports, which I like.

Room for Improvement:

I absolutely hate the layout with all the little lines, the different panels, and if you bump the wrong thing just a smidgen, it no longer compiles. You've brought it outside of its area of focus. It says, "We're done here."

I've looked at a couple of the E-Business Suite reports, and there's no way to fit it all on one screen. When it throws that layout on the screen, you would need a monitor the size of a wall to be able to see everything. It's like using a magnifying glass, and you're seeing only a tiny bit of it. For me, I lose context. That would be the biggest complaint I have there.

Otherwise, slap this here, and that there, and this here, and you're ready to go. Depending on how detailed the report is, and how much information you're actually putting on there, that leads to the, "Where's this?" It's all kind of a confusing mess, and that would be the biggest problem area for me.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no real issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

Everything's been solid. We've had no issues with instability.

Scalability Issues:

It's been scaleable for our needs.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was nothing. It was simple and straightforward. It's learning the tool that requires a little more involvement.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Every Oracle product is expensive, and this is no different.

Other Advice:

The big issue for me was learning the tool.