IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) is #6 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) is most commonly compared to Oracle Integration Cloud Service: Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) vs Oracle Integration Cloud Service. Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 35% of all views.
Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)?

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) is a data integration software solution that provides a unified infrastructure to streamline data and application integration projects. It uses a powerful design approach to data integration, which separates the declarative rules from the implementation details. The solution is based on a unique ELT (Extract Load Transform) architecture, eliminating the need for a standalone ETL server and proprietary engine.

Oracle Data Integrator Features

ODI has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Automatic documentation generation
  • Visualization of data flows in the interfaces
  • Customization of generated code
  • Automatic reverse-engineering of existing applications or databases
  • Graphical development and maintenance of transformation and integration interfaces
  • Robust data integrity control features, assuring the consistency and correctness of data
  • Powerful core differentiators
  • Security Navigator
  • Integrator Console
  • ODI domains

Oracle Data Integrator Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing ODI. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Efficient architecture: Oracle Data Integrator has a simple architecture that utilizes the source and target servers to perform complex transformations, making it an efficient solution.
  • Supports all platforms: ODI gives you platform independence by supporting all platforms, hardware, and OSes with the same software.
  • Cost-effective: Oracle Data Integrator reduces costs associated with initial hardware and software acquisition, and also decreases maintenance costs because it eliminates the need for an ETL Server and an ETL engine.
  • Automatic detection of faulty data: By using ODI, faulty data is recycled before insertion in the target application, providing you with a data quality firewall.
  • Easy development and maintenance: With a low learning curve, Oracle Data Integrator increases developer productivity while facilitating ongoing maintenance.
  • Active integration: ODI includes all styles of data integration: data-based, event-based and service-based.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by PeerSpot users currently using the Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) solution.

Brian D., Business Process and Strategy Specialist Advisor at NTTData, says, “The Knowledge Module (KM) is my favorite feature of ODI. This is where I learned how to use variables to make jobs dynamic. I took that knowledge and created a KM that would go into iTunes and pull the sales of eBooks. Making something that is reusable, like a KM, is important to not only reduce build time but also maintenance in the future.”

Ashok S., Applications Support Manager at a marketing services firm, mentions, "The most valuable features of ODI are the ease of development, you can have a template, and you can onboard transfer very quickly. There's a lot of knowledge modules available that we can use. If you want to connect, for example, a Sibyl, SQL, Oracle, or different products, we don't have to develop them from scratch. They are available, but if it's not, we can go into the marketplace and see if there's a connector there. Having the connector available reduces the amount of hard work needed. We only have to put the inputs and outputs. In some of the products, we use there is already integration available for ODI, which is helpful."

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) was previously known as ODI.

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Customers

Griffith University, Kansas City Power & Light, Keste, Raymond James Financial, Valdosta State University

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Video

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) pricing:
  • "The solution is expensive because of the model they use. The cost is for the license and for support."
  • "ODI comes included when buying the cloud version of the Oracle database license."
  • Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Reviews

Ricardo Giampaoli - PeerSpot reviewer
    EPM/BI certified Consultant, Oracle ACE and TeraCorp Consulting CEO at TeraCorp Consulting
    We can make all the EPM tools work together as one and we can create a puzzle that will increase the performance and capability of all EPM tools.

What is our primary use case?

Very large and complexes environments implementation, 10000+ users with 24x7 global operation and multiple EPM tools working in sync.

How has it helped my organization?

For the EPM environment, the ODI is the key to transforming a good project into a great project. With ODI, we can make all the EPM tools work together as one and we can create a puzzle that will increase the performance and capability of all EPM tools. We can have an integrated environment and decrease the close time from two days to one hour.

What is most valuable?

It's the best tool for data integration. It can do anything you want, but the only downside is that you need to know what you are doing. You can take 10 times longer to do the same thing if you don't know how to use the tool. You have to know how to change the KM, how to use the dynamic coding, how to create dynamic models, and so on. In a lot of places, I see people using ODI wrongly, but the good thing about the tool is that isn't hard to fix common mistakes. With this you can improve performance, and in some cases, more than 10 times.

What needs improvement?

Right now, we have two very different GUIs - 11g and 12c. 11g is faster to develop than 12c as it takes more steps to do exactly the same as 11g, but you have a lot of things that you need to do yourself. 12c implemented some things for which you have to use some specialized code automatically, like parallel data load, but it is slower to develop. For me, the best thing would be to merge the GUI from 11g into the capabilities of 12c.
    Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Oracle Data Integrator (ODI). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.

More than 12 years.

There were issues mainly because of a Java memory leak.

We have had no issues with scaling it for our needs.

The technical support for EPM is bad. I don't remember anytime that the service support helped me with something. The problem is bigger when you have an environment with more than one product like Hyperion Planning and ODI. This happens because the products have different owners within Oracle and then different supports, and because of this, if you open a trouble ticket of loading data to planning and you say the words ODI, you'll be pushed around the two separate support teams indefinitely, even if your company has an Oracle support director just for you.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The bigger the environment, the bigger the challenge is you need to face. Maybe one day Oracle will integrate all their tools. It'll be easier, and the good thing is that I saw a lot of improvements over the years.

All tools are expensive, but I think ODI is the most expensive since it depends on your sources and target databases. I think the best way to go is by doing packages and try to include free tools (if you buy Planning you have an ODI for BI licenses for free) or try to get discounts from your Oracle supplier. It's always good to explore what could happen if you get another tool or hardware together. Sometimes, you get more for less than if you get just one tool. Just be careful to not buy things that you won't use.

I'm a consultant and my only evaluation was on the database. I decided on Oracle because of the database and during my career, their other tools are starting to come naturally.

What other advice do I have?

Because Oracle products are development frameworks, your final results are as good as the people that implemented it. Make sure that your implementation team is the best it could be, at least for the first implementation. If something is implemented incorrectly at the start, it'll cost you a lot more to fix than to build a new system from scratch. Sometimes it can be so badly designed that it is impossible to fix. I've been working on implementations for 21 years and I have seen bad implementations everywhere. In fact, I have seen the same tools implemented in the same team by two different people, with one being a success and the other a failure. In the same company, one department says that the tool does not work for them and another says that the tool is the best. The only difference was the implementer. Make sure you get a good team to implement it. The tool has its flaws but most of time (99%) it is the implementer's fault that you have a bad or slow model.

Disclosure: PeerSpot contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're platinum partners.
    Applications Support Manager at a marketing services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to develop, plenty of templates, and scalable
    • "The most valuable features of ODI are the ease of development, you can have a template, and you can onboard transfer very quickly. There's a lot of knowledge modules available that we can use. If you want to connect, for example, a Sibyl, SQL, Oracle, or different products, we don't have to develop them from scratch. They are available, but if it's not, we can go into the marketplace and see if there's a connector there. Having the connector available reduces the amount of hard work needed. We only have to put the inputs and outputs. In some of the products, we use there is already integration available for ODI, which is helpful."
    • "The interface of ODI could be improved. For example, navigating and finding functions can be difficult. For example, you have to know which step you need to go to look at where your job status is. The logical step is a bit complex compared to other tools. It's much easier to get a graphical view, but with ODI, it's graphical, plus you have to know all the other pieces that fit around it. You have to think about the logical and physical aspects."

What is our primary use case?

We use ODI for integration services from different systems, such as finance systems and online display systems. Additionally, we integrate it with the external partners with ODI.

We use ODI in combination with the SFTP server.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of ODI are the ease of development, you can have a template, and you can onboard transfer very quickly. There's a lot of knowledge modules available that we can use. If you want to connect, for example, a Sibyl, SQL, Oracle, or different products, we don't have to develop them from scratch. They are available, but if it's not, we can go into the marketplace and see if there's a connector there. Having the connector available reduces the amount of hard work needed. We only have to put the inputs and outputs. In some of the products, we use there is already integration available for ODI, which is helpful.

What needs improvement?

The interface of ODI could be improved. For example, navigating and finding functions can be difficult. For example, you have to know which step you need to go to look at where your job status is. The logical step is a bit complex compared to other tools. It's much easier to get a graphical view, but with ODI, it's graphical, plus you have to know all the other pieces that fit around it. You have to think about the logical and physical aspects.

One aspect I always struggle with is there's no single view to see which jobs are going to run or what time. You have to look around, it's very clunky. If you had a couple of agents, you can't see everything in one place. You have to go and look at an agent schedule and look at that, and then, go to another one to look. There's no single view that gives you the whole picture.

What would be nice for us is, if ODI can easily integrate to GitHub, to allow us to have all our source code in GitHub rather than within ODI. This would be a very good feature, everyone is using GitHub.

I have been using Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) for approximately two years.

Since we moved to the new version, ODI has been very stable, and we haven't had any unplanned outages. We only have had planned outages, I'm pretty happy with it.

The only issue we have had recently was when we patched ODI all the jobs that were supposed to be scheduled at 6:00, it ran seven hours earlier. It's a result of the patch. We were working with Oracle and they gave us a fix.

The solution is scalable, we can increase the agents and let it do more work.

We have approximately 12 people using the solution in my organization.

We use this solution extensively without our organization.

The technical support is very good. f you give them all the information, they seem to give you a solution pretty quickly. We have not had any issue with the support. However, we are using paid support and I am not sure if the regular support is the same.

I've used other solutions previously, such as Microsoft tools, they are much easier to set up. ODI is a bit clunky to begin operations, it requires a longer learning curve.

We are using this solution extensively.

The initial setup is complex, it took us three months.

We reached out to Oracle and a few other partners that Oracle has but, in the end, we decided we should do it ourselves. If we did not do it ourselves we wouldn't have the knowledge of how to do it in the future. We received a quotation from them and then decided, we would do it ourselves, in-house.

For all these cloud products, we have to patch them ourselves, it is not done automatically. I was expecting patching to be automatic but it is not.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it if they were an Oracle house mostly. It works very well with other Oracle products. If a business is not an Oracle shop, I would not recommend it. OBI understands Oracle E-business, Oracle CRM, and other Oracle products well. However, if you were to go to another company that had different products, ODI would struggle.

I rate Oracle Data Integrator an eight out of ten.

Other
    Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)
    June 2022
    610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Rodrigo Radtke De Souza - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solutions Architect at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    If it doesn't connect out-of-the-box to a specific technology, we can add a new technology into it.

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use ODI to integrate all of our EPM applications, which includes Essbase ASO/BSO cubes, Hyperion Planning, DRM and HFM applications. Also it is used to manage a custom data warehouse developed in Oracle DB which is used as source for OBIEE reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

We use ODI to integrate all Oracle EPM suite used in our financial area. ODI is the core engine used to move data across different applications every day. It’s by far the most important architectural element in our BI/EPM environment since all data passes through it.

What is most valuable?

ODI has the ability to connect to virtually any technology out there. If it does not connect out-of-the-box, we can very easily add a new technology into it. This flexibility gives a tremendous developmental advantage to its users, which can use ODI as the official ETL tool for any kind of integration project.

Its Knowledge Modules (KMs) may abstract the “how” portion of integrations, allowing the users to focus on the “what” that needs to be done. It can be easily used by either young ETL developers or expert professionals.

For resumes, the ease of use for young professionals and its great development flexibility for expert professionals make it a great product to be used for every ETL project out there.

What needs improvement?

In my opinion, ODI should connect to ALL Oracle products out-of-the-box, but currently that’s not the case for all of them. Hyperion Financial Management (HFM) is one of the Oracle products for which Oracle decided to remove its ODI support in its last product version. In other words, if you wish to use ODI and HFM together, both from Oracle, you will need to create custom code, which does not make any sense to me.

Another area to improve would be the development life-cycle, which did improve in the latest ODI version, but needs further improvements.

More than five years.

ODI 11 version is very stable. It can manage several parallel executions/large volumes without much trouble. I do see some complains about ODI 12 version, but I cannot share any opinion since I’m not currently working with it.

ODI scales very well.

This is a delicate subject. My experience with Oracle support has both great and very bad situations. If the problem that you are facing is only related to ODI, then your chances of having a great Oracle support experience are good. But if your problem involves multiple technologies, like ODI integrating EPM apps, then it is probably going to be a nightmare (and, unfortunately, most of the problems that will require support assistance will involve “multiple technologies”).

This happens because Oracle supports different technologies with different teams and the communication between them seems complicated sometimes. Several times I was in a situation where teams would keep discussing who should fix the problem instead of actually fixing it.

I've always worked with ODI for ETL development.

The initial setup is extremely easy and straightforward.

ODI was the only option we considered.

Mohamed Ahmed Fouad - PeerSpot reviewer
    Banking Excellence - Predictive Analysis at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
    Easy to set up with good integrations and great scalability
    • "The scalability is great. It's one of the reasons we chose the solution."
    • "The resource management aspect of the solution could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for digital health and sometimes automation tasks.

What is most valuable?

The integration of the solution with Oracle is very good. It's nice and easy.

The scalability is great. It's one of the reasons we chose the solution.

The stability is okay.

We found the implementation to be quick and easy.

What needs improvement?

The resource management aspect of the solution could be improved.

The migration process could be easier.

Technical support could be better. They're okay, however, their service could improve a bit.

The solution could be more reliable.

I've been dealing with the solution for around four years at this point.

The stability of the solution is pretty good. It doesn't crash or freeze on us. We don't have any bugs or glitches.

We have about 20 people using the solution within our organization. They use it on a daily basis.

We deployed with scalability in mind. We've found it to be quite effective.

We've contacted technical support in the past. They're okay in terms of the service we provide. I would rate them seven out of ten overall. They could be a bit better.

We did previously use a variety of different solutions. So far, this product has been the best option for our organization. It has more features and integration capabilities. It's a bit more complex than other options.

The initial setup of the solution is not complex. It's very straightforward. We found it to be easy.

For simple mapping, deployment only takes about half an hour.

We handle the maintenance ourselves. Occasionally, we may reach out to Oracle for certain tasks, however, largely, we deal with everything maintenance related internally.

We did not need the help of a vendor or integrator. We did do everything on our own.

The solution isn't the most expensive, nor is it the cheapest option. In terms of pricing, it sits somewhere in the middle. Everything is covered under one license. You don't have to buy any add-ons.

What other advice do I have?

We're simply an Oracle customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

There's no specific version of the solution that we use.

I wouldn't recommend any other services above Oracle.

Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Technical Lead at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Light on resources, good support, simple implementation
    • "ODI's most valuable features are it utilizes the database engine and is very lightweight."
    • "ODI could improve by being more user-friendly. Informatica, which is also an ETL tool, similar to ODI, but Informatica is very user-friendly, easy to use, and simple to integrate, compared to ODI. ODI has many features, put them all together, and sometimes we get confused about which ones to use, which ones not to use."

What is our primary use case?

Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) integrates with the cloud, but the 12C version only can be integrated with the cloud. The best part of the ODI is, it does not have its own ETL engine of its own, it utilizes the database engine itself.

We use ODI for data integration only, such as extraction, transformation, and loading of data from different sources into one particular database. Additionally, we use ODI for our data warehouse.

What is most valuable?

ODI's most valuable features are it utilizes the database engine and is very lightweight.

ODI's ability to connect multiple types of database environments from a particular server, place, or system is beneficial. I can connect to many databases, such as Dev, UAT, production, or user acceptance test databases. All together in only one place. It's all about changing the context in that particular application. The moment you change the context, the ODI will start processing the data from different environments altogether.

What needs improvement?

ODI could improve by being more user-friendly. Informatica, which is also an ETL tool, similar to ODI, but Informatica is very user-friendly, easy to use, and simple to integrate, compared to ODI. ODI has many features, put them all together, and sometimes we get confused about which ones to use, which ones not to use.

I have been using Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) for approximately two years.

The stability of Oracle Data Integrator is very good.

ODI is scalable, it is a matter of your configuration. If you configure the tools properly it is scalable.

The solution can be used for small to large enterprises.

I have been satisfied with the technical support.

I have used other solutions previously.

ODI has one of the easiest implementations out of all the others for a database.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend using ODI if we are using an Oracle Database as your data warehouse, or as your primary database only. If not then I wouldn't recommend ODI to be used.

I have seen the newer cloud version and I think it is more user-friendly than the older versions.

I rate  Oracle Data Integrator an eight out of ten.

Pujitha Gade - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Plsql & ODI Developer at Infosys
    MSP
    Quick support, easy to use, and integrates with all systems
    • "Integration with all systems is easy with Oracle Data Integrator, and it is easy to use. I have not used any other product, but with Oracle Data Integrator, we can easily connect to an ERP system, an SAP system, or a cloud application."
    • "It has been very good. Just recently, I've faced an issue, but I solved it somehow. While integrating with a file, I faced an issue where I wanted output files, and I had used the text field limited quotations, but at the end of the file, there was a line breakage for the last column. So, we just removed the text field because it was not working correctly for us."

What is most valuable?

Integration with all systems is easy with Oracle Data Integrator, and it is easy to use. I have not used any other product, but with Oracle Data Integrator, we can easily connect to an ERP system, an SAP system, or a cloud application.

What needs improvement?

It has been very good. Just recently, I've faced an issue, but I solved it somehow. While integrating with a file, I faced an issue where I wanted output files, and I had used the text field limited quotations, but at the end of the file, there was a line breakage for the last column. So, we just removed the text field because it was not working correctly for us.

I have been using this solution for around seven years.

It is pretty good.

It is scalable.

I didn't contact them for the line breakage issue, but I have contacted them for other things. My experience with them was good. Their solution was quick and the response was quick. I would rate them a four out of five.

We have seen a return on investment with this product.

What other advice do I have?

Everything is good, and I would rate it an eight out of ten.

SAP Business One Project Manager at a consumer goods company with 11-50 employees
    Great documentation provided; lacks some features and tools

What is our primary use case?

I'm a technical manager and we provide technical services to our customers. We are partners with Oracle.

How has it helped my organization?

This product helps our customers achieve their goals and objectives.

What is most valuable?

The best feature of this solution is the documentation. Everything is set out clearly with step-by-step instructions.

What needs improvement?

I think Oracle should add more functions to improve optimization. Automation should be improved to enhance the product. Some of our customers carry out data comparisons between Oracle and other features and Oracle is lacking in some of those tools and features.

The stability and performance are good and our customers use the solution on a daily basis.

The scalability is good, we have around 100 users.

The initial setup really depends on the situation so it can sometimes be more complicated. When it comes to implementation, a deployment will usually take around 40 days and up to six engineers.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution seven out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
    Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    MSP
    Proven high performance with large-scale data processing
    • "Easy to understand, very developer-friendly, and has a big forum community and lots of documentation for support."
    • "An area for improvement would be the lack of SQL compatibility - ODI has no ability to interact with SQL unstructured types and data types."

What needs improvement?

ODI is a proven product with high performance in large-scale data processing.

What other advice do I have?

ODI is very friendly to those who have been traditionally writing a scale PL/SQL. It has lots of connectors to many different sources, although the target databases it supports are relatively limited compared to Informatica. It's also easier to understand, very developer-friendly, and has a big forum community and lots of documentation for support. I would rate it as nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Download our free Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022