IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is #9 ranked solution in top Cloud Data Warehouse tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse an average rating of 10 out of 10. Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics: Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse vs Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics. Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 77% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 43% of all views.
Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse?

Autonomous Data Warehouse is market-leading Oracle Database software running on proven Oracle Exadata infrastructure that is optimized to deliver unbeatable performance for data warehouse workloads. Built-in adaptive machine learning eliminates manual labor for administrative management. With Oracle, business and enterprise users can now build their own data warehouse, data mart, or sandbox in a few minutes.

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Customers
Hertz, TaylorMade Golf, Outront Media, Kingold, FSmart, Drop-Tank
Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Video

Archived Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Reviews (more than two years old)

Syed Jaffar Hussain - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard
Helps to test our new applications, do modifications and updates with minimal costs
  • "It provides Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) capabilities by default to address data security issues."
  • "One of the major problem is creating custom tablespace. The ADB serverless option doesn't support custom tablespace creation, which could cause issues during on-premise database migration that requires specifically named tablespace. There should be an option to create customized tablespace."

What is our primary use case?

Oracle offers this solution as Platform as a service (PaaS). The serverless option provides cost optimization to the organization where they can save huge amounts of money, but not require a highly skilled DBA to manage the database.  Oracle controls the entire service, where a customer is only responsible for managing data. All other things are managed and maintained by Oracle. There is no billing when the service is stopped.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution really helps to test our new applications, do modifications and updates with minimal costs and no HW requirements. Autonomous Database (ADB) provides a highly scalable, secured platform. With Exadata on the back-end, we can achieve higher performance, durability, and data security. You can switch off and on the service to avoid excessive cost/charges. It can be easily accessed remotely. Besides, Oracle has a new DC in our region which greatly resolves DB security and other local governance body issues.

What is most valuable?

ADB runs on Exadata technology, which is the proven industry best solution for any kind of workloads. Besides, ADB provides complete automated features, such as, self patching, upgrade, tuning, automated indexing, and automated backups. Also, recovery of the database is easy.  The entire host and DB software maintenance is done by Oracle and automated. Also, it provides Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) capabilities by default to address data security issues. In addition, the connectivity is highly secured.

What needs improvement?

An ADB serverless service provides no control over storage, host, and facilities. One of the major problem is creating custom tablespace. The ADB serverless option doesn't support custom tablespace creation, which could cause issues during on-premise database migration that requires specifically named tablespace. There should be an option to create customized tablespace.  There are many data types and parameters which are not supported. That should be improved a bit so many customers can adopt.
Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Over six months now.

With different layers of protection, it is highly stable. Besides, you can choose to have a replica at another region or domain.

Considering Oracle Cloud setups, it is highly scalable.

Oracle is responsive towards cloud problems.

We were using on-premises databases for testing new application functionality. This was causing a lot of cost to the organization.

With pre-DBA knowledge, it is simple, straightforward procedure.

In-house team.

High.

We discussed other cloud solutions, but the Oracle offering was cost optimized.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend it for companies who want to test their application functionality, dev, or test DBs for cost optimization. With existing DBA knowledge, it is easy to manage and migrate a database to ADB.

Other
Jurij Visnar - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Administrator at Unior d.d.
Stable, with good analytics, but needs to offer support for the R language
  • "The analytics have been very good. We've found them to be quite useful."
  • "Sometimes the solution works differently between the cloud and on-premises. It needs to be more consistent and predictable."

What is our primary use case?

We're currently using the solution to move data from legacy systems to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The analytics have been very good. We've found them to be quite useful.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to offer support for the R language. It doesn't exist and it really is something they should have.

There isn't support for data migrations. It would be helpful to have more documentation or information about this process. It's not easy for us to find online or on their website.

We have only been using the solution for about a year on a few projects that we are currently running.

We haven't found any issues with stability. There might have been two or three small issues around having the database inaccessible occasionally, but other than that, it's good. We haven't faced any bugs or crashes.

The scalability is okay.

We are planning to have 50-60 users on the solution once we've finished the projects we are working on. Right now, it's a work in progress.

We've had to contact technical support in the past for a few issues. However, our partner contacted them and dealt with the problems, so I haven't had any direct contact myself. I wouldn't be able to rate their service or give any insight into it.

The initial setup was handled by our partner. We didn't handle it. I wouldn't be able to speak about if it was complex or straightforward as I wasn't personally involved.

We had a partner handle our setup for us.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure if I'm capable of giving advice to anyone as it's a solution that's so new to us still.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse
June 2022
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MichaelBeeck - PeerSpot reviewer
Technology Evangelist, CTO, Entrepreneur with 1-10 employees
It is a good data management system and the setup is easy and straightforward
  • "I really like the auto-tuning, auto-scaling, and the automatic load balancing and query tuning in the system."
  • "I would like to see an on-premise solution in the future."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is as a data management system for analytics.

What is most valuable?

I really like the auto-tuning, auto-scaling, automatic load balancing, and query tuning in the system.

I have been using this solution only for a couple of weeks or months.

The solution is very stable.

The technical support is quick to answer but sometimes it takes too long to get a competent person on the line.

If you are familiar with Oracle products, the initial setup is easy and straightforward. The deployment took only a few hours because it is on the cloud.

Other options out there are Microsoft Azure Data Warehouse and AWS Redshift. Anyone who has to deal with analytics, to get the processes, marketing processes, and financial processes working, should consider a data warehouse solution because a data warehouse solution is always the underlying infrastructure for good analytics.

What other advice do I have?

I would like to see an on-premise solution in the future. There are other very good solutions in the market, so if I would rate it a ten, it would be the best in the market. I, therefore, rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Other
President at Vlamis Software Solutions
Saves time by allowing me to simply load my data and go
  • "I loved the simplicity of loading the data and simply relying on the self-tuning capabilities of ADW."
  • "I would like to see Application Express and Oracle R Enterprise fully supported, and I would like to see Oracle Data Mining supported as a front end."

What is our primary use case?

We evaluated Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse for use in a client project. We were among the first to try out this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

I was able to set up a data warehouse very quickly. For a pilot project, I didn't want to get into a complicated scenario of determining indexes and partition strategies. I just wanted to load my data and go. Oracle ADW worked very well in this regard.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Existing Oracle customers interested in the Autonomous Data Warehouse should know that this is a different experience than the classic Oracle DB Enterprise Edition. Yes, this is a database capable of running an entire enterprise, with unparalleled performance, available disaster recovery, and cutting-edge analytics. But the analytics come with new Notebook technology to code collaboratively with the rest of your team, not the classic data miner GUI interface. Don't expect to tune your queries with various indexes and fancy partitioning strategies. The system is designed to run on autopilot, not be carefully controlled and highly tuned. And, due to security limitations, neither the powerful GUI development environment Application Express (yet?) nor Oracle R Enterprise are not available. Hopefully these features can be added in a future release and the system can be accessed more easily without compromising the database's security.

I have previously built Oracle databases. I wanted to try out the autonomous database to save on database setup time.

I would recommend to fully utilize Oracle's trial service. It's a good way to try it out first.

What other advice do I have?

Be aware that you still have to define your "schema". You still define the columns in each table. This is a necessary step. It would be great if Oracle added a wizard that takes data and "figures out" what the column names are (e.g. perhaps noticing that Boston, Los Angeles, New York could be a CITY column). This would be in line with making it "autonomous".  Maybe it's there and I don't know how to make that happen.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a customer of Oracle and also an Oracle Partner.
BenjaminArnulf - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Director BI & Analytics at Hertz Global Holdings, Inc.
Delivers the performance we need for large scale financial and procurement data
  • "Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is used globally to deliver extreme performance on large Financial data sets."
  • "An improvement for us would be the inclusion of support for an internal IP, so we could use it directly with the VCN in Oracle Cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We implemented Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse in Oracle Cloud with Oracle Analytics on top of financial and procurement data.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is used globally to deliver extreme performance on large financial data sets. The data warehouse offers amazing performance.

What is most valuable?

The three top features for us are:

• Self-tuning
  • Self-securing
  • Self-patching

On top of it, you can create an instance in three minutes and use it with Oracle Analytics.

What needs improvement?

An improvement for us would be the inclusion of support for an internal IP, so we could use it directly with the VCN in Oracle Cloud. Basically, the autonomous data warehouse can only be reached using the public network which is not ideal for some companies. We usually use private network and need private IP to include it into our subnet.

We do not need more for now, it's working perfectly. I know Oracle is working on a solution.

Less than one year.

Stable, perfectly tuned, nothing to do.

We have had an amazing experience with technical support. Oracle has been helping us as we were almost the first to adopt it.

We tested different databases and vendors, but we needed extreme performance and a managed solution.

The initial setup for this solution is straightforward, with almost nothing to do. The setup is very, very fast.

We used Deloitte for implementation and deployment.

The cost is perfect with Oracle Universal credit.

The products that we evaluated before choosing this solution were:

What other advice do I have?

Amazing performance. It's a revolution.

Download our free Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022