We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Oracle Application Development Framework OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Application Development Framework is #5 ranked solution in top Java Frameworks. PeerSpot users give Oracle Application Development Framework an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle Application Development Framework is most commonly compared to Spring Boot: Oracle Application Development Framework vs Spring Boot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is Oracle Application Development Framework?

Oracle ADF is an end-to-end Java EE framework that simplifies application development by providing out-of-the-box infrastructure services and a visual and declarative development experience. Oracle ADF simplifies Java EE development by minimizing the need to write code that implements the application’s infrastructure allowing the developers to focus on the features of the actual application. Oracle ADF provides these infrastructure implementations as part of the framework. It also implements the Model-View-Controller design pattern and offers an integrated solution that covers all the layers of the architecture integrated with the Oracle SOA and WebCenter Portal frameworks.

Oracle Application Development Framework was previously known as Oracle ADF.

Oracle Application Development Framework Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Application Development Framework Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Oracle Application Development Framework Customers

Financial Regulatory Authority (FRA) of Egypt, Red Samurai, ChB Jelly House

Oracle Application Development Framework Video

Archived Oracle Application Development Framework Reviews (more than two years old)

Osama-Alsaif
CIO at Prince Mohammad University
Easy to teach to programmers especially regarding how to capture the technology and how to enhance it
  • "There are several valuable features. First is the fast deployment. Also the ease of use."
  • "Lacks tailoring to geographic regional differences and consistent integration with third parties."

What is most valuable?

There are several valuable features. First is the fast deployment. Also the ease of use. It's easy to teach it to the programmers, especially regarding how to capture the technology and how to enhance it when you're talking about the integration with other software.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved with more relevance to the region. We are in the Middle East. Some technologies are not applicable here, especially when we talk about complex integration like with the central bank or government APIs and so on.

Also, in future releases, I'd like to see them integrate voice recognition and machine learning - for the AI to be a fundamental component in the development kit.

I have been using Oracle Application Development Framework for about 15 years.

It is stable, but again, integration is with two parties. So Oracle can mature their products, but on the other side, the third-party software needs to mature enough to integrate and use that stability in their performance. We have some problems with Oracle relative to third parties. Like in one project, there were some loopholes for hackers to penetrate through our main application.

In terms of scalability, as it matures new releases are more scalable.

Usually, it is my technical team that contacts support. Oracle support is great. One of the best that I've seen.

I have not used a different solution in the payment gateway. There are different STKs. Banner has its own STKs, especially for the portal and so on. So depending on the application of the technology provider, they provide their own framework for developing their own software. Again, going back to the integration component.

Oracle Application Development Framework has fast deployment. Depending on the application complexity you're talking between weeks and months.

Depending on the complexity, most likely we will be using some vendor assistance, or consultants, to help us in maneuvering the application. Like integrating between Oracle and Banner. These are two systems that both use the same database but have different applications. The companies do have some standards when we integrate these applications but I need to refer back to the technology owner for understanding the parameters of integration.

Just begin by contacting Oracle. It's hard to find the right place to contact because of a lack of advertisement for their tools and user groups. Last year I was in Manchester for an Oracle conference and I was surprised to know that there are so many tools available on the web. So if clients are going to search in Oracle, they may not find it. There is a lack of promotion from the Oracle side for those tools.

I chose Oracle because they have abundant money and they're technology leaders. They're investing in developing and enhancing their framework. Relying on Oracle will be a cornerstone. Third parties will follow.

I've seen IBM take a back seat here. I've seen Microsoft and SAP and others are taking secondary roles in evolving their application especially for scalability and integrability.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle is the best - I give it a ten out of ten.

Assistant Manager with 1-10 employees
A smooth framework with good business components, but the performance needs improvement
  • "The most valuable features of this solution are the business components."
  • "The performance of this solution needs to be improved because it is very slow."

What is our primary use case?

I am an Oracle Forms developer.

We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the business components.

This is a good framework that is very smooth.

It is easy to deploy your application.

What needs improvement?

The performance of this solution needs to be improved because it is very slow.

There should be a light-weight version of this solution ported to Apache Tomcat.

I have been using this solution for about nine years.

The stability is very good. When you have a good service with enough memory and enough CPU cores then you have good performance.

When you have a lot of users, perhaps three or four hundred, then it becomes very slow.

The technical support escalates issues in a sequence. When you first contact them the people are not very experienced, and it is like they are reading from a handbook. They suggest one step, then another, and so one. If you have a larger problem then it takes a lot of time to get answers from Oracle.

I would not say that the support is bad, nor would I say that it is very good. It is average.

I also use the Spring Framework for Forms development.

The initial setup of this solution is very easy.

I performed the deployment myself.

The cost of this solution is approximately $47,000 USD per site.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle technology moves very fast, and many of the Oracle Forms developers will be moving to the Spring Framework.

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to get their information from the consultants who work with it, and not just from the internet.

I have a lot of Oracle ADF experience and I have had a lot of bugs. When you have a low-code framework like this one, a wizzard, and a drag-and-drop interface, it becomes buggy. That's the major problem.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.