We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

OpenText EnCase eDiscovery OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

OpenText EnCase eDiscovery is #4 ranked solution in top eDiscovery software. PeerSpot users give OpenText EnCase eDiscovery an average rating of 8 out of 10. OpenText EnCase eDiscovery is most commonly compared to CrowdStrike Falcon: OpenText EnCase eDiscovery vs CrowdStrike Falcon. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is OpenText EnCase eDiscovery?

eDiscovery collection tools address the rise in dispersed and remote workforces, the proliferation of mobile devices and new sources of data. Comprehensively collecting data across all data sources, including endpoints, such as desktops and laptops, is critical to defensibility. Collection analytics and culling is key to efficient digital investigations, narrowing the document collection to drive down the cost of legal review.

With OpenText™ EnCase™ eDiscovery, organizations can streamline the collection, culling and preservation of data across diverse sources in a single efficient process.

OpenText EnCase eDiscovery was previously known as EnCase eDiscovery.

Download the eDiscovery Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

OpenText EnCase eDiscovery Customers

Ontario Ministry of Government, Aerospace Company, Chesterfield Police Department

OpenText EnCase eDiscovery Video

Archived OpenText EnCase eDiscovery Reviews (more than two years old)

Dharmil Badami
Team Lead at a security firm with 51-200 employees
Helps speed up the process of investigation. It indexes much faster, and is more reflexive because of the Enscripts.
  • "The most important feature we've found is the Enscripts. That is one powerful feature that I, personally, love to use."
  • "It indexes much faster, and is more reflexive because of the Enscripts."
  • "There were minor UI bugs."
  • "I would like to see a capability to ingest and absorb more data. That would be really good. It currently is lacking this function."

What is our primary use case?

When the open face tools are not able to do what EnCase is able to do.

How has it helped my organization?

EnCase helps speed up the process of investigation. It indexes much faster, and is more reflexive because of the Enscripts (scripts that create additional functionality for EnCase).

What is most valuable?

The most important feature we've found is the Enscripts. That is one powerful feature that I personally love to use. It allows me to customize the scripts and deploy it as and how I need it. For example, if I want to segregate the files for myself, indexing the files, so that using Enscripts I am able to do so.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a capability to ingest and absorb more data. That would be really good.  It currently is lacking this function.

Less than one year.

No, I didn't face any issues of crashes or stability. There were minor UI bugs, but nothing related to process.

Yes, it does, it does. It does work on enterprise.  I personally have not used EnCase on a server, but I would like to try that feature sometime in future.

I haven't interacted much with tech support.

I was not involved with the implementation or setup of the product.

It's a very strong player in this field already, and I see there's potential for EnCase. They're continuing in development and really keeping up with technology and demands.

EnCase is an affordable solution.

We compared it to Autopsy. We noticed that with EnCase, the indexing is much faster.

In addition, I also use FDK and Unix. In comparison, EnCase is pretty solid, because of the lab solution compared to FDK and Autopsy. And, if the size goes beyond a certain TB, like 100 or plus, then we use Unix.

Information Security Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Streamlines repair of damaged partitions but learning curve is steep

How has it helped my organization?

The tool improves the results of data recovery cases.

What is most valuable?

Data Recovery: Its ability to repair damaged partitions and uncover hidden partitions from within the tool, and allow further analysis.

What needs improvement?

Ease of use and learning curve need improvement.

We encountered stability issues just as one encounters with all commercially available forensic tools.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

We use many other forensics tools like AccessData FTK, Magnet Axiom, and X-Ways.

What other advice do I have?

Consider this…

How has it helped my organization?

The tool improves the results of data recovery cases.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Ease of use and learning curve need improvement.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Consider this tool if you do a lot of data recovery and plan to implement EnCase Endpoint.

Find out what your peers are saying about OpenText, Exterro, Nuix and others in eDiscovery. Updated: January 2022.
563,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Digital Forensic Investigator and Data Recovery Expert at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
It speeds up the process, so I can meet my deadlines
  • "The technical support is excellent."
  • "I like the processing feature on the product because it does everything at once, i.e, indexing, recovery, keyword searches, etc."
  • "It speeds up the process, so I can meet my deadlines."
  • "​Sometimes the application can take more time to complete the image processing or fail at the end of the process.​"

How has it helped my organization?

It speeds up the process, so I can meet my deadlines.

At first, I was using Encase 6, thereby running recovery and processing separate.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I failed to index Microsoft Exchange Server Emails (.EDB). I think an improvement could be to support all types of email extensions and add more features on mobile data extractions (smartphones and iPhones).

There are still some challenges that we experience using the product.

Three to five years.

The technical support is excellent.

I used FTK and X-Ways before moving to Encase. Encase was and still is the best product to use.

I used a different solution because my image process kept failing and moved cache files to different source.

The setup was straightforward.

The product is affordable and user-friendly.

What other advice do I have?

Visit the website of Guidance Software and find out more about the product.

Henry McKelvey
Sr. Systems Engineer (R&D) at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
​Technical support is average. They perform their job well when required.​

What is most valuable?

Image creation and image analysis in one program, basically for ease of use. All-in-one solutions tend to outperform split system solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed me to teach forensics in an environment which is very much analogous to the real world.

What needs improvement?

It could be more geared towards students. I would add a full-featured student version that can be integrated into labs that the students can work with. (This can be on a monthly fee plan.)

On and off for nine years in educational surroundings. I have only used the newer version (8.5) in classes.

With 6.10, there are some issues, but these have been corrected. With 8.5, which I have used a few times, I have not seen any major issues that would be showstoppers.

The ability to upgrade was inline with other programs of this type.

Technical support is average. They perform their job well when required.

I used and still use DCFLDD and Sleuth Kit (Autopsy) as a comparison to the professional program, EnCase. I did not switch because I believe students need to know how to use alternatives as well as the professional versions of the software.

I would say straightforward, in comparison with other programs of this type. No more, no less complex.

I would tell prospective buyers to make sure that you purchase at least three licenses for professional use. This is not the program I would suggest for a newbie using to learn. It is just too expensive for the full experience, and the student versions, while very good, are just for that, students.

Yes, I did. I still use and teach with other options, because I feel that students should know about multiple systems. I have used in teaching FTK, ProDiscover, and Sleuth Kit (Autopsy).

What other advice do I have?

Know how many licenses you will need starting off.

Make sure the system you are loading it on is clean. I have experienced that it (EnCase) is easier to load on a system that does not have other forensic programs on it.

Director-in-Charge at a non-tech company
It is useful for an initial assessment as well as to crack cases

What is most valuable?

Most of the features of Encase are very user-friendly. Simultaneously, we can process many search operations: Multiple sorting and regular expression search are a couple of those features.

How has it helped my organization?

I had been using Encase as a digital forensicator professional for over a decade. I have used this to solve many cases. It is useful for an initial assessment as well as to crack cases. It is user-friendly. Currently, I am in the education field teaching a master's degree in cyber forensics and information security. I use this tool for giving demonstrations to students, and also for them to practice with it.

What needs improvement?

I suggest that if the mobile phone acquisition is embedded in the Encase law enforcement version, it would be very useful. As of now, only a few mobile phones, especially the smart phones, have the acquisition embedded.

I have been using this tool for over a decade.

Not exactly.

Not exactly.

Perfect.

The initial setup was not complex.

It is a very useful tool. It is worth buying irrespective of price. I do suggest there should be an education license at a lower price.

I had been using both Encase and FTK.

I think any organization should have a combination of licenced tools and also open source, so they can compare our results.

What other advice do I have?

It is an essential tool to have in place in any forensic lab.