OmniPeek OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

OmniPeek is the #40 ranked solution in APM tools and #46 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools. PeerSpot users give OmniPeek an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. OmniPeek is most commonly compared to Colasoft Capsa: OmniPeek vs Colasoft Capsa. OmniPeek is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is OmniPeek?

Omnipeek is a top-rated suite of network analytics software that offers full transparency and trusted forensics for immediate resolution of application and network performance anomalies and security issues. Omnipeek is part of the LiveAction family of quality trusted products. They specialize in packet intelligence with adaptable workflows and complete visibility throughout numerous network segments to facilitate a better understanding of network performance and dependability concerns in real time.

Omnipeek combines intuitive geolocation, usability, security, and performance to deliver a robust user experience that facilitates immediate discovery and problem-solving of wireless and wired networks.

Omnipeek is user friendly and offers many different intuitive dashboards, display options, graphs, peer maps, and packets. There are several different capture options, such as TCP dump, multiple adapters, local captures, and Capture Assistant. Omnipeek integrates well with Snort and Suricata intrusion and detection prevention solutions, allowing users to import events easily. The comprehensive analysis tools, such as Expert Flow Analysis, Web Traffic Analysis, Multi-Segment Analysis, and Local File Analysis combine to make Omnipeek a solid, complete solution.

Omnipeek is effective for small offices to large enterprise data centers.

Omnipeek Benefits

• Omnipeek delivers unmatched transparency into applications, networks, and classification of layer 7 workflows.

• Intuitive GUI presents a clear, intuitive view of packet-based analytics by conversation pairs.

• Ability to capture and dissect 802.11n and 802.11ac wireless traffic from currently deployed points from third-party vendors such as Aruba, Cisco, and others.

• Investigate traffic from all remote network segments, such as voice and video over IP, 802.11,1/10/40/100 Gigabit, Ethernet using the LiveCapture features and appliances.

• Audit voice and video over IP traffic in real time using call back play, thorough signaling and media analyses, and high-level multi-media summary statistics.

• Improve the average time to resolve failure with super fast intuition and interconnection with packet data, metadata, flows, and files.

Omnipeek Features

• WiFi monitoring: Using Omnipeek LiveCapture 1100, users are able to thoroughly monitor wired packet traffic and gather wireless traffic from WLAN controllers. Users can easily monitor, dissect, log, and diagnose multi-Gigabit speed 802.11ac traffic.

• Improved LiveAction appliance support: LiveAction update appliances and software uses the innovative Del architectures and Intel capabilities to improve network packet capture-to-disk to 20Gbps in a 2RU system, with up to 128 TB of storage.

• Improved VOIP processes: Now offering updates to performance and in synthesizing DTMF audio tones, Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP), and Asserted Identity (caller ID), makes Omnipeek a very robust, complete solution.

• Improved financial transaction support: The solution provides updated support for ISO8583 protocol necessary for financial and banking organizations. Users have the ability to dissect critical data more thoroughly than with previous iterations.

• Expert improvements: Users have access to several more Expert events, enhanced latency calculations, and many other improvements to the Expert views in Omnipeek.

• 3rd party authentication improvements: Efficient workflow for 3rd party authentication results in enhanced performance for Access Control Lists (ACL).

OmniPeek was previously known as Savvius OmniPeek.

OmniPeek Customers

Apcon, Aruba Networks, Avaya Inc., Cisco Systems, Ekahau, Gigamon Systems, HP, IBM, IXIA, Meru Networks, Napatech, NextComputing, Procera Networks, Qualcomm Atheros, Ralink Technology Corporation, Telchemy

OmniPeek Pricing Advice

What users are saying about OmniPeek pricing:
"There are different types of licenses available."

OmniPeek Reviews

Venkat Lkmula - PeerSpot reviewer
Tech spesialist at INT tech services
Easy to identify packets, beneficial color assigning, and responsive support
  • "The most valuable feature of OmniPeek is the ability to assign custom color codes to the different packets easily."
  • "I am not using OmniPeek for automation, we only do manual testing. Automation testing is tedious to do. The automation should be more user-friendly. I have exposed some APIs but the usage is not user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are responsible for OmniPeek for a company and it is used for WiFi packet sniffing and validation.

We have a protocol to validate the 8.2.11.* IP block. When we are associating a client with the WiFi network, it is following this protocol defined by this IP block. If we have an issue with the new client not associating correctly we have to see why it is happening. For example, it could be the authentication mechanism or the AP not able to respond.

There are legacy features in the solution, such as ABG, then later came ACAC. Whether the rules set out are followed or not by an access point or a client this is what we check by using OmniPeek.

OmniPeek is a standalone solution that is installed on test laptops. It's a multi-license solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of OmniPeek is the ability to assign custom color codes to the different packets easily.

What needs improvement?

I am not using OmniPeek for automation, we only do manual testing. Automation testing is tedious to do. The automation should be more user-friendly. I have exposed some APIs but the usage is not user-friendly.

I have been using OmniPeek for approximately 10 years.

Application Performance Management (APM)
December 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about LiveAction, Riverbed, AppDynamics and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: December 2022.
670,400 professionals have used our research since 2012.

OmniPeek is a stable solution.

OmniPeek is scalable. You have can have a single license but multiple licenses are available. You can install the solution on laptops and servers and the IP can be given to users.

We have approximately 20 testing units and 15 people who use Wireshark as automation analysts and others who use OmniPeek for manual testing.

The support from OmniPeek is good.

You need to know where to look when you are facing issues, and you can click for help. We do not have many issues with the solution because it is user-friendly When we needed to contact the support they were responsive.

I have previously used Wireshark. One of the differences between OmniPeek and Wireshark is in the test bed OmniPeek allows you to choose a color coding for each and every component. You can set the color of many components, such as the client based on your interest, and MAC address. You are able to see certain packets from the APs easier. Wireshark is more user-friendly for automation and OmniPeek is good for manual testing.

Wireshark cannot be run continuously because the buffers will be used up after half an hour and the application crash. However, in OmniPeek this does not happen it continuously starts until the memory space is consumed. It will not crash. You can run it for twelve hours continuously and it will save without crashing.

The initial setup of OmniPeek is easy. You download an executable file from the internet, install it, then provide the licensee you were given. Additionally, you can install it on servers, give the IP addresses and it will run it.

There are different types of licenses available.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is this solution is easy, but they should have some prior knowledge of how to use a sniffing tool in a network. It will take some time to understand. it. Learning how to use the solution is not difficult.

I rate OmniPeek an eight out of ten.

Engineer at Lite-On Technology Corp
Easy to capture and analyze raw packets but is a bit expensive
  • "It's a solid piece of software. It's stable."
  • "I don't see a clear roadmap in the future for improving this software."

What is our primary use case?

Our company is an ODM manufacturer for wireless products like routers and WiFi access points. As an RD and QA department, we are sniffing the packet from the air to capture the raw WiFi traffic from the air.

What is most valuable?

Generally, it can capture the raw packet and analyze it. I do not like or prefer a specific feature; only the main functionality.

It's a solid piece of software. It's stable.

What needs improvement?

There's likely not a future for OmniPeek in LiveAction. LiveAction acquired OmniPeek. I don't see a clear roadmap in the future for improving this software.

It's a bit expensive.

The product has almost too many functions. A lot of the functionality I do not use.

I've used the solution for about 15 years.

The solution is stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution isn't really scalable, and we haven't really used it for scaling.

We have five or six people sharing two copies.

We installed it on a notebook, so whoever needs to sniff the packet just grabs the laptop, and then he or she can sniff the wireless packet.

I have no idea what technical support is like. I never reached out and ask for support. If we encounter some issues, we will search online and in most cases, we don't have technical issues.

This product is easy to implement.

To implement the solution takes one hour since the key part for us is finding the right wireless link to support OmniPeek to capture the wireless traffic. So as long as you are working in this field, you know what wireless card you need to use and what driver to install. That's the hard part. If you have related experience in the field, one hour is good enough in terms of getting it set up.

The pricing could be a little bit lower.

I'm not in charge of purchasing and cannot speak to the exact cost for us.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. We use it in our company.

OmniPeek has to announce its roadmap to support 11 AX. Otherwise, I don't think anybody sees a future in purchasing another copy of that software.

Overall, I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Application Performance Management (APM)
December 2022
670,400 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Pavani Inturi - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software Engineer at Global Edge Software Ltd
Easy to use solution but needs to improve its level of performance
  • "The most valuable feature of OmniPeek was the ability it gave us to see the connection procedure."
  • "I would like to see the tool work in an open environment the same as how it does in a closed environment."

What is our primary use case?

I used OmniPeek for an automation project that I was working on. The solution was used to capture wireless packets. OmniPeek was used for sniffing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of OmniPeek was the ability it gave us to see the connection procedure. We could see how the station is connecting and what was the flow.

It also provides support for when we enter any password wrong so that we can estimate by using the packets and see where it went wrong.

OmniPeek is easy to use. The sniffing tool is easy to capture and is very comfortable to analyze.

What needs improvement?

OmniPeek needs to improve its performance level. I would like to see the tool work in an open environment the same as how it does in a closed environment.

I have been using OmniPeek for six months.

We did not experience any bugs with OmniPeek. The solution is stable.

I have three years of prior experience using Wireshark. We have gotten higher performance with OmniPeek.

The initial setup of OmniPeek was easy. The solution can capture all of the packets within two or three minutes.

What other advice do I have?

There are some drawbacks to OmniPeek because there are some packets missing. With OmniPeek you can capture the flow by using filters.

I would rate the solution a seven out of 10 overall.

Lead Engineer at NXP Semiconductors
User friendly, extremely scalable, with fast deployment
  • "The most valuable feature is OmniPeek is user-friendly."
  • "I would like to see the saving feature improved. We have had issues if you do not save your progress then you have to start from the beginning."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for a wireless access point. We are using it to analyze the timeframes and fix issues.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the user-friendly environment.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with OmniPeek for the past seven years.

The stability of OmniPeek is good.

The scalability is perfect. We have more than one hundred individuals using the solution.

The initial setup is not difficult. In some other scenarios, somebody should be there. Sometimes the interface was not detecting and we needed to restart. Doing that requires going to the network manager, and again we needed to restart. In fifteen to twenty minutes you can have the software installed and be up and running.

We did the implementation through an IT department.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate OmniPeek a nine out of ten. If you have some basic information before you are using it for the first time that would be helpful. OmniPeek is a good product, but you should know its purpose for your organization. You should be aware of the software available and you need to know what license requirements you will need.

Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about LiveAction, Riverbed, AppDynamics, and more!
Updated: December 2022