IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Nutanix Prism OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Nutanix Prism is #1 ranked solution in top Data Center Infrastructure Management tools and #4 ranked solution in top Virtualization Management Tools. PeerSpot users give Nutanix Prism an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Nutanix Prism is most commonly compared to Zabbix: Nutanix Prism vs Zabbix. Nutanix Prism is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.

Download the Virtualization Management Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Nutanix Prism?

Nutanix makes infrastructure invisible, elevating IT to focus on the applications and services that power their business. The Nutanix enterprise cloud platform leverages web-scale engineering and consumer-grade design to natively converge compute, virtualization and storage into a resilient, software-defined solution with rich machine intelligence. The result is predictable performance, cloud-like infrastructure consumption, robust security, and seamless application mobility for a broad range of enterprise applications.

Nutanix Prism Customers

JetBlue, International Speedway Corporation, SAIC Volkswagen

Nutanix Prism Video

Archived Nutanix Prism Reviews (more than two years old)

Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Ability to have a single point to match things and simplicity of use are key benefits

What is our primary use case?

We have a data center and provide licenses to our customers. Our company uses this solution on private cloud and our customers generally use it on-prem. We are partners and resellers of Nutanix and I'm a systems engineer.

What is most valuable?

I like the simplicity of use and the ability to have a single point to match things.

What needs improvement?

We've been waiting a long time for micro application using a company's provider, that would be a good improvement. The cost of the solution is quite high and I'd like to see that lowered.

I've been using this solution for six years.

Virtualization Management Tools
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Nutanix, VMware, Dell Technologies and others in Virtualization Management Tools. Updated: July 2022.
622,645 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I think the technical support of Nutanix is one of the best supports I have used.

The initial setup is straightforward and takes about an hour.

In addition to the standard licensing fees there are extra costs for some functionalities such as capacity planning using Prism Pro.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

Private Cloud
Erwing Izquierdo Morales - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Center Coordinator at Vocem
The server is self-managed in an efficient way, it solves possible logical errors to maintain production without interruptions
  • "Everything has been valuable, without a doubt the server is self-managed with Prism in an efficient way, it solves possible logical errors to maintain production without interruptions, it's great."
  • "Each era every year, new economies arise and ways to develop the platform to improve both the interface with the end-user and to make the main load more flexible to the specialized user of the platform."

How has it helped my organization?

With this solution, the company stood out in its operations 100% for the reliability of the equipment, the speed, and the comfort of the base user to handle the applications. This solution gave us agility and security for the operating personnel, effective backup in the event of disasters, communication is extremely fast. One of the main needs of the company was to be fast in writing and reading data in storage, prioritizing the disks that is more frequent to use, and Nutanix Pro is very clear.

So our efforts with clients are 100% effective.

What is most valuable?

A professional who is starting his career in this environment or scope would be very easy because everything is guided and thought logically to be understood quickly, in addition to having excellent support with immediate solutions.

From any point of view, business is feasible with Nutanix solutions is a win-win.

What needs improvement?

It seems to me that everything is in gear as it should be, every time an update or new package appears it never ceases to amaze me as it helps us with a 100% stable technology, to add something would be to have clear the new needs of the human being. Each era every year, new economies arise and ways to develop the platform to improve both the interface with the end-user and to make the main load more flexible to the specialized user of the platform. Nutanix is ​​at the forefront and changes the paradigm with other providers because it allows simplifying daily work.

We have been using Nutanix Prism for three years.

The evaluation of other options was not carried out, we have that tool and it had to be used 100%.

Virtualization Management Tools
July 2022
622,645 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Rony Chamoun - PeerSpot reviewer
Team Leader at BMB
Enables use of multiple operating systems; data duplication and compression work in a hybrid solution
  • "Duplication and compression work for data in a hybrid solution."
  • "No integration of commands to manage AHV."

What is our primary use case?

We are a company that provides services to our clients so the solution is not deployed in our company. I've deployed Nutanix in multiple environments. When deploying Nutanix, Prism is installed automatically when you create a cluster. It assists in monitoring and managing the solution.

We're service providers, selling and deploying the solution to our customers. We partner with Nutanix and I'm a technical leader.

What is most valuable?

It's helpful that you can create virtual machines using Prism, you can upgrade and replicate the firmware between two different sites using Prism Element, it's not only for monitors. The duplication and compression are good features because they also work for data in a hybrid solution. Without that, compression and duplication require a whole flash stick which increases the cost. With Nutanix it can be done even if you use a hybrid solution. You can also use multiple operating systems with Nutanix.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved if you combined Nutanix with AHV, because when you install Prism to manage AHV, there are a lot of commands. It might be better to integrate the commands with Prism and that would enable Prism to manage AHV. This is not currently in the command line.

I've been using this solution for two years.

Initially we had some issues with bugs in NTP because all of the environments use NTP servers with Windows not Linux. Regular maintenance of the solution requires one person.

The technical support at Nutanix is excellent, they've been extremely helpful.

The initial setup is very straightforward, you can deploy it in two hours, create a cluster with three nodes and with an operating system installed on it within two hours.

What other advice do I have?

This is a great product, easy to deploy and very stable. Even if you are using VMware or Hyper V or AHV on Nutanix, it's very stable.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Senior System Administrator at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good micro-segmentation, automation, and central management
  • "By using virtualization, we are saving on the cost of hardware."
  • "I would like to have some cluster management tools included."

What is our primary use case?

We have several sites that we manage centrally using Nutanix Prism.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are micro-segmentation, automation, and central management between sites. By using virtualization, we are saving on the cost of hardware.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have some cluster management tools included.

I have been using Nutanix Prism for six months.

This solution is stable. We are still in the evaluation stage, but it is being used on a daily basis.

We have two sites, each with three nodes in a cluster. Beyond that, we have not tested scalability.

The technical support from Nutanix is great.

We are currently in the process of migrating from VMware to Nutanix.

The initial setup is easy. Our deployment took three days to complete.

We asked the vendor to support us for our implementation and deployment.

Compared to VMware, the price of this solution is great.

We were looking into using Oracle PCA because one of our main objectives is to have a disaster recovery site on the cloud. This means that what we have installed, and whatever workloads are running, need to be replicated in the cloud. The best choices that we found for this were Oracle PCA, Nutanix, and VMware.

Ultimately, we found some limitations in Oracle PCA. Between Nutanix and VMware, they had similar features but Nutanix is less costly.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this product is a good choice. You get a lot of features at a lower price.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Head, Digital Business and Innovation (BSc/MSc Computer Science, CISA) at a tech company with 11-50 employees
A scalable solution for easily managing virtual environments

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Nutanix Prism is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is that you can manage your virtual environments seamlessly.

Nutanix Prism is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Although this solution has very good analytics capabilities, it can be even more granular.

We have been working with Nutanix Prism for the past year.

This solution is quite stable.

Aside from ease of use, scalability is one of the key points of this solution.

Technical support is good but usually, people don't have to contact them unless they have a really complicated installation.

The length of time for deployment depends on the size of the environment. The bigger it is, the longer it takes to deploy. For an average deployment, including configuration, it will take about a week.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I highly recommend it.

Vishwambhar Bandal - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager at IndusInd Bank ltd
Simple to upgrade, no downtime, and the performance flow charts are excellent
  • "The Clone and Snapshot features are two of the most valuable aspects of the solution for our organization. Rather than simply one-click automation the Snapshot and reverse Snapshot are great."
  • "The solution could be a bit more user-friendly. The dashboard and configuration should be much easier to use."

What is most valuable?

Nutanix Prism is awesome. It's a simple upgrade. There is no downtime and all. There is never any worry about upgrading the solution. It's a very good product.

The Clone and Snapshot features are two of the most valuable aspects of the solution for our organization. Rather than simply one-click automation the Snapshot and reverse Snapshot are great.

The performance flow chart is excellent. I can find out about the performance levels and all the metrics are right there for us. If we were to go to VMware we would have to deploy the vrOPs etc. You're able to see the chart and utilization screen and performance monitoring, all those things. So this is good, rather than VMware vSAN technology.

The solution offers good production.

What needs improvement?

The migration from Nutanix to other platforms, like VMware and hypervisor, needs improvement. That is a difficult task right now, because we cannot run the two separately. It's a bit tricky.

I've been using the solution for six to eight months.

The solution is stable. It's been quite reliable for us. We haven't had any issues with it.

The solution is scalable. We don't have any issues with that.

We've only had one issue previously and it was a hardware failure. We made a support ticket and they were able to assist.

The initial setup is not complex. It's quite straightforward.

Deployment took us one day. We were done with the installation quite quickly.

We handled the installation ourselves, along with the assistance of a Nutanix partner engineer.

Nutanix's partner was there at the data center along with us. I went through some Nutanix training as well. This was about five days and by the end, I was well-versed in deployment and other processes. We didn't face any difficulty. We knew how to face configurations and charts, etc.

Before choosing this solution we looked avSAN technology and HPE SimpliVity. We were also looking at Dell VxRail as well.

What other advice do I have?

We aren't using the latest version of the solution. It might be the latest minus one. The bank always goes for a minus version and not the latest version because of some compliance-related issues related to bank policies.

I'd recommend the solution. It's quite good. As an alternative, VxRail is also a good option.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. I'm very happy with this product. My workload is currently running on production on a Nutanix box, and it is working absolutely fine. There are no issues. It offers good performance and optimization. It's resilient.

Technical Support Specialist at a outsourcing company with 11-50 employees
Ideal solution for virtual machine and storage management
  • "The storage management is one of the best."
  • "The price could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the solution is for virtual machine management and storage management. I work as a technical support specialist and we're a customer of Nutanix.

What is most valuable?

The event management is a very valuable feature, and resource management is also very good. Their storage management is one of the best. They do very good deduplication and compression.

What needs improvement?

I think perhaps they can improve on the price but it is a good product.

I've been using the solution for about one year.

We've contacted technical support for minor issues. Perhaps the response time could be improved but technically the customer support is very good.

Initial setup was done by a specialist contractor who was trained on Nutanix so we didn't have any issues with setting up. They did a great job.

We are evaluating other products such as VMWare, but that's for other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Anyone considering the solution should give it a test run. Try it in your environment. Check if your applications or your credit systems are compatible. I would say to anyone who has the budget to go for it, it's a really good system.

There is always space for improvement so I would rate the product a nine out of 10.

Solutions Consultant at a tech services company
Good centralized management that supports all hypervisors
  • "The centralized management of Nutanix Prism is the best feature."
  • "I think that the Nutanix Prism Pro the terms it uses, it's not very user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

I think Nutanix is a good solution for hyper-convergence. Since there isn't always a centralized management tool that can do everything like related that. Nutanix supports all the hypervisors, that's why I feel it's best.

What is most valuable?

The centralized management of Nutanix Prism is the best feature. I can upgrade the hardware and I can upgrade the software from there. So that's a good feature.

What needs improvement?

I think that the Nutanix Prism Pro the terms it uses, it's not very user-friendly. Those terms should be a little more user-friendly. What terms they use should be more user-friendly.

I have been working with Nutanix Prism for two years.

We haven't had any stability issues.

We haven't had any scalability issues.

I've contacted Nutanix technical support. It was a good experience.

Nutanix it is straightforward, not complex. Deploying Nutanix Prism Pro takes a maximum of one hour.

Nutanix Prism pricing is higher than other products. They sell hyper-convergence as a bundled product. That's why I bought Nutanix. If I'm going with another hypervisor apart from ASV, the price goes higher. That's where the problem is.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Nutanix Prism Pro at an eight out of ten.

JigneshGamdha - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise Cloud Architect at Inspira
Multi-access login, simplified management, impressive GUI and dashboard
  • "The GUI and the dashboard are impressive. I like that you can modify the GUI and the dashboard as per your requirements."
  • "The automation needs to be improved, as there are several challenges."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators working on multiple HCI solutions. Our clients are using this solution for single data storage virtualization and computing, which includes centralized reporting. Customers can access these reports, and based on their reports they can go for further upgrades or migrated workloads.

What is most valuable?

The GUI and the dashboard are impressive. I like that you can modify the GUI and the dashboard as per your requirements.

The gateway is a hypervisor and with their hyper-converged platform, customers are free to choose any hardware or comparable hardware.

What needs improvement?

If I am comparing it with VMware, it is still not as compatible. I am not comfortable in working with the automation in Nutanix Prism or the SAN side. The automation needs to be improved, as there are several challenges.

I have been using this solution for more than five years.

The stability is great! It's a very stable platform and overall, the software is very impressive.

This solution is scalable and I haven't experienced any challenges.

We contacted technical support many times during the expansion of the existing cluster. When exporting the cluster there was an error because there was a dependency on the hypervisor. They were able to help us expand the existing platform.

The initial setup is straightforward. The tier one has a six-node cluster and they have expanded to a two-node cluster.

What other advice do I have?

Three important things will minimize the number of people required to run your center.

1. Multi-Access Login.
  2. Simplified Management.
  3. System administration.

I would also suggest going with Prism Pro. You will get more features, and with the Normal Nutanix Prism, you are getting limited features.

MarcMermuys - PeerSpot reviewer
ICT System Administrator at College of Europe
Has improved performance for our virtual desktops and is easy to manage
  • "Since we began using Nutanix the performance for virtual desktops is much better."
  • "The main area where an improvement could be made would be the pricing."

What is our primary use case?

I work as an ICT System Administrator in a tertiary institution and Nutanix is the platform we use for virtual desktop, VDI. We have approximately 200 members using the solution in addition to which we also have 350 students. The students only use it on a floating desktop pool, not concurrently.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature would be performance. Since we began using Nutanix the performance for virtual desktops is much better. It's easy to manage Nutanix with no downtime during periods of maintenance. There has also been a big improvement in the dashboard which is now very easy compared to earlier solutions.

What needs improvement?

The main area where an improvement could be made would be the pricing. Aside from that, it's a very good product.

An additional feature that could be included would be to make an easy connection to closed systems such as Azure.

I've been using Nutanix for five years.

The product has excellent stability.

It's very easy to scale because it's a cluster. We started with four nodes then add a fifth to add a vision computer. There were no issues and no down time.

Customer support has improved a lot since the early days.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others using VDI to add All-Flash clusters, so no ordinary disk, but All-Flash disks for performance. That's something I would suggest, but that is more specific for VDI environments.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

Private Cloud
Consultant Project Development at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good dashboards, integrates well with other products, and Prism Central is helpful
  • "The most valuable features are the dashboards."
  • "In the next release, I would like the ability to browse data stores."

What is our primary use case?

We are a distributor and this is one of the solutions that we provide to our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the dashboards.

Prism Central, which is an aggregation of many Prisms, is very helpful.

Extra products are able to integrate directly into the Prism console.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like the ability to browse data stores directly from the Prism interface instead of using third party product.

I have been using Nutanix Prism for about five months.

Nutanix Prism is a stable solution.

This solution is scalable. Our customers are large, enterprise-level companies with more than 500 or 1,000 users.

Nutanix has very good technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward.

A lot of my customers complain about the price of renewals, so I think that this can be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Nutanix Prism is a good solution and I recommend it.

IT Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
The synchronization between our data centers is great and it's very functional in case of a failure
  • "I am very satisfied with the technical support."
  • "Perhaps the interface can be more intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use Nutanix Prism for storage.

How has it helped my organization?

The programs is very functional in case of a failure, because snapshots are taken every 30 minutes, and we also have synchronization between our two data centers. So whenever  we have a failure, we have another data center that is responds for every machine we have.

What is most valuable?

The features I find most valuable, is the integration between data centers.

What needs improvement?

Perhaps the interface can be more intuitive. It's easy, but it is very slow at the beginning.

I've been using the latest version of Nutanix Prism for four years now.

I am very satisfied with the technical support.

We've had no issues with the setup and installation. In terms of time, it was very fast. In terms of testing, it was very slow, but when everything had been verified and updated, the latest patches and everything, the program was working great.

The deployment took about one month, and it was done by Nutanix people provided by Dell. We are satisfied with their work and we have an annual review of both systems.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I will rate this solution an eight. What I'd like to see in the next release, is for it to be open to other platforms. That would be great, because now it's only available on Mac, IBM and Dell. Perhaps wide-open hardware would be great.

In the past we used to get alarms and an detector. Sometimes the messages you get from a problem doesn't point directly to the origin of the problem. So you have to elaborate some things for having a conclusion on what is failing. Perhaps they can improve this entire process, from beginning to the end, where you find a solution. In other words, being able to make the right decision faster.

Download our free Virtualization Management Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Nutanix, VMware, Dell Technologies, and more!
Updated: July 2022