Nutanix Prism OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Nutanix Prism is the #1 ranked solution in top Data Center Infrastructure Management tools and #3 ranked solution in top Virtualization Management Tools. PeerSpot users give Nutanix Prism an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Nutanix Prism is most commonly compared to Zabbix: Nutanix Prism vs Zabbix. Nutanix Prism is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
Nutanix Prism Buyer's Guide

Download the Nutanix Prism Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Nutanix Prism?

Nutanix makes infrastructure invisible, elevating IT to focus on the applications and services that power their business. The Nutanix enterprise cloud platform leverages web-scale engineering and consumer-grade design to natively converge compute, virtualization and storage into a resilient, software-defined solution with rich machine intelligence. The result is predictable performance, cloud-like infrastructure consumption, robust security, and seamless application mobility for a broad range of enterprise applications.

Nutanix Prism Customers

JetBlue, International Speedway Corporation, SAIC Volkswagen

Nutanix Prism Video

Nutanix Prism Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Nutanix Prism pricing:
  • "We have spent a lot of money on the Nutanix solution with Prism. Yet, for this amount of money we could be buying high-end storage with a lot of IOPS and bandwidth, even more than with Nutanix."
  • "The license we bought for Nutanix Prism is perpetual, so once you have it, you can keep on using it. It's a three-year license that's paid one time. The license we have covers the three-node cluster."
  • "The pricing is based on a licensing model and is around $10,000 for a two-year license."
  • Nutanix Prism Reviews

System Administrator at Jordan customs
    Easy setup process, but confusing database configuration and poor support
    • "One valuable aspect of Nutanix Prism is how easy it is to set up. The setup process is useful to us because all we need to do is to set some variables and go with the recommended settings."
    • "We definitely have some issues with Nutanix Prism. Our main issue is that we cannot operate the database. It would seem that less configuration would be desirable, because between Nutanix and the Oracle database on Windows, there tends to be problems."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the core application of Nutanix, Nutanix AOS, with Prism for the application side of things. It is used specifically for its hyper-converged functionality, but not for anything database-related.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We definitely have some issues with Nutanix Prism. Our main issue is that we cannot operate the database. It would seem that less configuration would be desirable, because between Nutanix and the Oracle database on Windows, there tends to be problems. When we took our initial problems with the database to Nutanix support, they gave us some configurations to try out, but these did not solve anything.

So the problems remain, and that is why we are only using Nutanix Prism for our application. We didn't have the time to find a working configuration for the database, and thus we migrated the database to another solution.

Their support seems to have some problems, too, because when we opened a ticket the one time, the lower level of support connected to take the ticket and the technician said that it was a false positive, meaning that they could not reference the error. However, Prism clearly stated to us that there was an error, despite the technician checking the system and telling us, "No, there are no more errors." I wanted the technician to clarify what had happened, but he merely told me the fault is inaccessible.

I have been using Nutanix Prism for three years.

Nutanix Prism
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Nutanix Prism. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable, but we tend not to overload the system in any way.

We can't really depend on Nutanix Prism, so we are currently just using it for non-essential work in our site.

The support is bad because they take too long to solve issues, and in one instance they dismissed an error we got from Prism as a false positive for no obvious reason.

The setup is useful because there are a few variables that we have to input, and then we simply proceed with the recommended settings. The overall time to deploy depends somewhat on Nutanix, but with a Nutanix cluster of 11 nodes on the site, plus the hypervisor, it will take around seven to ten hours.

In general, we have just two technicians using Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

I cannot truly recommend Nutanix Prism for others. It was just the one time for us, and in the future we will use another solution because it seems that whatever hyper-converged system we might use, like VMware's vSAN or Nutanix, will still have a lot of issues with either the application or database.

Thus, for us, we may return to a more standard solution such as hardware-based storage with our own servers, rather than software-defined solutions. We have spent a lot of money on the Nutanix solution that could have been better spent elsewhere, such as on high-end storage with plenty of IOPS and bandwidth.

I would rate Nutanix Prism a five out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Atif Najam - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Information Officer and Program Lead at Gatron Industries Ltd
    Great for data center infrastructure management with a valuable auto-update option
    • "The auto-update option is a valuable feature for us."
    • "It doesn't integrate very well with any backup solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use Prism to manage our three sites through a single pane of glass, mainly for data center infrastructure management. I'm the chief information officer and program leader, and we are customers of Nutanix.

What is most valuable?

The auto-update option is a good feature that we've found to be very valuable and has saved us a lot of capital. It enables the running of tools to upgrade Nutanix clusters from a single pane of glass. The system automatically manages the VMs on top of the clusters. It will patch each of the nodes and once updated it will automatically move the VMs back into the load balancing session. Traditionally, this was a time-consuming manual process.

What needs improvement?

One of the main pain points of Nutanix is that it doesn't integrate very well with any backup solution. For backup of the VMs, a specialized solution is required. There are solutions available, that can be purchased separately but they generally don't integrate very well with Nutanix. I'd like to see a native backup solution capability embedded into Nutanix Prism.

I've been using this solution for nearly four years.

The solution is very stable.

Nutanix clusters are scalable products. Scaling is a matter of buying another node and plugging it into the system. It's automatically scanned and you get your CPU memory disk.

The product comes with a very good support contract. If there is anything wrong in your cluster or any of your systems, the system automatically sends an alert to the support team, and they take action to fix the issue before you're even aware that something is wrong. It's great.

Positive

We previously used vCenter which you can't compare head to head with Nutanix because vCenter is limited to certain management parts whereas Prism actually covers multiple aspects including their application.

The initial setup is automated, so it's easy. Just power on the nodes, and they will automatically configure. It's a matter of indicating how much memory you want to allocate for the CVM. You can have the cluster up and running in two hours.

For an infrastructure our size with storage and SAN, I would need three people to carry out the work. With Nutanix I can do it easily with one person. With a traditional infrastructure, I'd need someone to manage the storage in the network and create zones every time I need to add or remove storage. It would also require management of servers. With Nutanix one guy from a single dashboard can do all of that.

Purchase of the product comes with a support subscription. The license can be bundled with your main cluster node for three or five years. Alternatively, you can buy the hardware and license of the VM for the first year, and then when you renew the license, you can renew your support contract. Prism is extra software so it's bundled with the base licensing. It's expensive compared to other options on the market but it's at the top of its product level so it delivers value. If you buy a competitive product from VMware, you also have to buy multiple products and manage them. From that perspective, Nutanix provides value for money.

What other advice do I have?

This is a brilliant product and I rate it nine out of 10.

Nutanix Prism
    November 2022
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    CEO at Orieta.tech
    Works in virtualized environments with high performance requirements with hyperscale availability
    • "Nutanix Prism is popular in the Indian market, particularly in enterprises where they need a DR type of environment, and where they look for less than finite RPO and RTO. If you have this environment on-premises, and if you can just rent out some portion to any of the service providers, then you can easily set up a DR environment to give you a finite list versus RPO and RTO."
    • "Nutanix Prism needs more flexibility commercially and more flexibility with their licensing. Currently they're very fixed on their licensing model, for example, it's based on terabyte calculation."

What is our primary use case?

Nutanix Prism is used in a virtualized environment with high-performance requirements where people can have the VMs and run the databases with infrastructure as a given service, that has five nines or four nines uptime environments.

What is most valuable?

Nutanix Prism is popular in the Indian market, particularly in enterprises where they need a DR type of environment, and where they look for less than finite RPO and RTO. If you have this environment on-premises, and if you can just rent out some portion to any of the service providers, then you can easily set up a DR environment to give you a finite list versus RPO and RTO.

What needs improvement?

Nutanix Prism needs more flexibility commercially and more flexibility with its licensing. Currently, they're very fixed on their licensing model, for example, it's based on terabyte calculation.

I've been using Nutanix Prism for two years now.

Nutanix Prism is a very stable solution.

Nutanix Prism is a scalable solution. It also has hyperscale availability.

We contacted the support team for Nutanix Prism during the initial setup. There were some configurations we were not able to understand, but their support team was very helpful.

We used VMware predominantly. We also used Cisco HCI before using Nutanix Prism. We didn't need to switch, but we wanted to have different flavors in our environment to cater to more customers.

Nutanix Prism has a very straightforward initial setup. They provided very helpful guidance during the setup process. If one knows the basic setup criteria of the network, the solution can be easily deployed in any environment.

Implementation of Nutanix Prism took a few weeks. We set up the environment in-house without using a consultant or integrator, but we had help from the Nutanix support team.

The license we bought for Nutanix Prism is perpetual, so once you have it, you can keep on using it. It's a three-year license that you pay once for. The license we have covers the three-node cluster, but then you need to have the basic networking gear for the infrastructure to work in the type of environment we're in. For example, the only additional thing we need to do apart from getting the license is to plan the network connectivity.

What other advice do I have?

I use Nutanix Prism. It's a three-node solution for virtualization. It's an on-premise solution. I don't remember which version I'm using.

The solution is being used within our organization, but we also have customers hosted on top of that, so I don't remember exactly how many people are using Nutanix Prism. For deployment and maintenance of the solution, you'll need two people: one system administrator and one network L2 or L3.

I can recommend Nutanix Prism to others who want to start using it, but my advice is for them to get the POC done first. They have to understand the environment, use cases, and what they're looking for, then they can make their call.

I'm rating Nutanix Prism nine out of ten.

Tirut Hawoldar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager IT Security & Infrastructure at Currimjee Jeewanjee & Co. Ltd.
    Great dashboards, helpful support, and good reliability
    • "It is stable and reliable."
    • "The pricing could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using Nutanix Prism to manage a whole cluster to manage old VMs and the object inside the Nutanix and it has been very easy since we have a very beautiful dashboard that gives quite a lot of information about the CPU replacement or storage use.

What is most valuable?

The main dashboard itself has been very helpful. If we ever have any issues, we are able to get back on the dashboard to take a look. The management is very easy with Nutanix. With such a dashboard where you have all the visibility you need - including access to alerts or issues, you have great control.

The setup is simple.

The solution is scalable.

It is stable and reliable.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved. We'd like it if they offered some sort of discount for returning users.

I've been using the solution for six or seven years at this point. It's been a while since we began using it.

The solution is very stable and reliable. The performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The product is scalable. It's no problem if you want to expand it.

We have about six users on the solution. They are from the IT department.

Technical support is good. Once you initiate contact, they will work with you and sort out the issue. They are responsive and knowledgeable.

Positive

Beforehand, we used VMware. We had been using VMware for nine years or somewhere around that length of time. Then, we shifted from VMware to Nutanix.

It is a straightforward setup. It's not overly complex or very difficult to manage.

We had some engineers manage the process. Having it done by a professional engineer ensures everything runs quite smoothly.

For the deployment, there was only one or two staff involved. We now have five staff members who are well trained on Nutanix we are able to do some daily management duties every day. They are engineers.

We did have outside help from an integrator during the setup process.

We did buy the software with that integrator. We had the installation and configuration, et cetera, handled with their help.

I don't have any details in regard to any ROI.

We pay for the solution on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and end-user.

We are using the latest version of the solution.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Ozgur_Ekinci - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Operations Manager at BtServisi.com
    High performance with an unlimited snapshot capacity that produces backups in minutes
    • "The solution is a high-performance platform that effectively handles three-layered issues like SA and network fiber cables."
    • "The solution does not support creating hybrid disc clusters."

What is our primary use case?

Our company provides infrastructure as a service to our customers and the solution is used on top of our platform to streamline workflows.

What is most valuable?

The snapshot capability is a big advantage because it processes within minutes and is not limited by a virtual server's storage capacity. We are able to provide immediate backups to customers.

What needs improvement?

PaaS services are a bit complex to implement so should be strengthened and developed. We struggled to integrate so did not have the courage to implement PaaS services. The process should be easier to understand.

The solution does not support creating hybrid disc clusters that include SSD disc configuration servers with hybrid disc configuration servers in the same cluster.

I have been using the solution for four years.

We are very happy with the stability provided for our cluster of 60 servers.

We struggle every day with hardware or server issues in our clusters. If a server hub breaks, the solution handles the problematic case very successfully.

The solution is scalable and I rate it a ten out of ten.

Three senior engineers handle all level two and level three issues that require technical support. The support team has access to our cluster for any troubleshooting needed.

Technical support has one of the smallest yet knowledgeable teams in the market. They are very fast and provide excellent support.

I rate technical support a ten out of ten.

Positive

The initial setup is easy and takes about four hours.

Our business has grown so we add fifteen servers per year to our cluster with no issues. It takes about five days to add these new servers.

Our internal team of four engineers handled the initial implementation.

We now have ten engineers on staff who handle daily operations which includes setup and implementation for our customers.

The pricing is based on a licensing model and is around $10,000 for a two-year license. As we buy more servers, we receive license discounts.

Two years ago, the solution was costly because Turkey was in a financial crisis and Lira exchange rates were high so the two-year license was $15,000.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
    Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reasonably priced with quick cloning of virtual machines and a helpful hyper-convergence feature
    • "For me, the speed of cloning virtual machines and the hyper-convergence feature are the most valuable aspects of the solution."
    • "The solution should offer the ability to change network settings without removing the network card from the virtual machine."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for virtualization for virtual machines, including the Windows virtual machines in Linux.

What is most valuable?

For me, the speed of cloning virtual machines and the hyper-convergence feature are the most valuable aspects of the solution.

The solution is quite stable.

The pricing is fair. It doesn't strike me as being overly expensive.

What needs improvement?

The solution should offer the ability to change network settings without removing the network card from the virtual machine.

I don't know the solution very well. I need more time to really explore it. What I need may already be available.

I've been using the solution for six months.

While the average stability is good, I find that the upgrade process of all the components of Nutanix are too slow.

I've never tried to scale the product. I can't speak to how easy or difficult it would be to do so.

We have maybe 200 people utilizing the product right now. It's used regularly, on a daily basis.

I've never had to reach out to technical support and therefore cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are. I don't have any insights to share.

I did not install the solution myself. I can't speak to any direct insights into how easy or difficult the process was. By the time I came along, everything was already up and running.

The pricing of the product seems to be reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

The company I currently work for may have a relationship with Nutanix. I can't say for sure. They may be partners.

I'm not sure if I am using the Pro or the regular version. I was not the person who installed it. I'm just a user. That said, we are always using the most recent version of the product.

I'd recommend the solution to others. The cost is okay.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

SALVATORE LABONIA - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solutions Architect at ITD
    Good storage flexibility and linear scalability, but high relative cost
    • "The features that I have found most valuable are its storage flexibility, linear scalability, and perhaps ease of use and powerful support."
    • "The cost is a negative aspect."

What is our primary use case?

Our main activities with Nutanix Prism are server and desktop virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are its storage flexibility, linear scalability, and perhaps ease of use and powerful support.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved or simplified, they have an active software as a business continuity using Acropolis Hypervisor with the Syncro Disaster recovery, and they have made a good improvement with live upgrade with the LCM, but I would say there should be additional improvements on the live upgrade.

In the next release, I think it should have the integration monitor from a server component because I have some issues with the integration with the third party monitoring tool. I would also like to see additional improvements in the dashboard.

I have been using Nutanix Prism for three years.

Yes, it is stable, but there is a good support team in case of a problem.

The initial setup is a one click deployment. 70% of the time I did the setup I made the automatic discovery installation field and the majority of times I did a manual installation. The automatic installation is quick, but the majority of times I did it I needed to swap it from automatic to manual which required a lot of additional activities. They have good support, but it was a time consuming activity.

We are also working with competing products - VMware VxRail and Sangfor which is a Chinese product, which is much cheaper because of its poor market share. It was a product with less experience and less functionality, but it was much cheaper. So Nutanix costs a lot, but it has ease of use, ease due to having a lot of the market share, has a lot of features, and has continuous improvement, but the cost is a negative aspect.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Nutanix Prism a seven. It can be improved.

Aliu Balogun - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head, Digital Business and Innovation (BSc/MSc Computer Science, CISA) at ActivEdge
    Provides better agility and has seamless integration features
    • "It can combine computing, storage and networks in a single location."
    • "The dashboard visibility could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case for this solution is hybrid. We use it for hyper-converged infrastructure and hybrid cloud management. The solution is deployed in the data centre.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution gives you better agility, especially concerning your physical data center footprint. It can combine the computing, storage and networks in a single location with a limited footprint physically. We can scale up and down, giving us a cloud-like behaviour when managing workload.

What is most valuable?

We have found the seamless integration feature most valuable. It offers computing, storage and network to support workloads. It is also seamless to monitor and have visibility over applications across on-premises locations and your multi-cloud environments.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard can be enhanced to provide greater visibility.

We have been using this solution for three years and are currently using the latest version.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable and can be scaled up or down as demanded.

We have had a good experience with customer service and support. I rate them an eight out of ten.

We previously used VMware, but this solution has very modern and contemporary HCI solutions, which customers find very useful. We still support VMware because their system is a good one.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Deployment was done in-house and took three to five days.

The licensing costs are provided to our customers because we are partners with Nutranix.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. The solution is good, but the dashboard visibility could be improved.

Download our free Nutanix Prism Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022