IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Nutanix Prism OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Nutanix Prism is #1 ranked solution in top Data Center Infrastructure Management tools and #4 ranked solution in top Virtualization Management Tools. PeerSpot users give Nutanix Prism an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Nutanix Prism is most commonly compared to Zabbix: Nutanix Prism vs Zabbix. Nutanix Prism is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.

Download the Virtualization Management Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Nutanix Prism?

Nutanix makes infrastructure invisible, elevating IT to focus on the applications and services that power their business. The Nutanix enterprise cloud platform leverages web-scale engineering and consumer-grade design to natively converge compute, virtualization and storage into a resilient, software-defined solution with rich machine intelligence. The result is predictable performance, cloud-like infrastructure consumption, robust security, and seamless application mobility for a broad range of enterprise applications.

Nutanix Prism Customers

JetBlue, International Speedway Corporation, SAIC Volkswagen

Nutanix Prism Video

Nutanix Prism Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Nutanix Prism pricing:
  • "We have spent a lot of money on the Nutanix solution with Prism. Yet, for this amount of money we could be buying high-end storage with a lot of IOPS and bandwidth, even more than with Nutanix."
  • "The license we bought for Nutanix Prism is perpetual, so once you have it, you can keep on using it. It's a three-year license that's paid one time. The license we have covers the three-node cluster."
  • "This product is cheaper than using VMware."
  • "Nutanix Prism is priced better than some of the competing solutions."
  • Nutanix Prism Reviews

System Administrator at Jordan customs
    Easy setup process, but confusing database configuration and poor support
    • "One valuable aspect of Nutanix Prism is how easy it is to set up. The setup process is useful to us because all we need to do is to set some variables and go with the recommended settings."
    • "We definitely have some issues with Nutanix Prism. Our main issue is that we cannot operate the database. It would seem that less configuration would be desirable, because between Nutanix and the Oracle database on Windows, there tends to be problems."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the core application of Nutanix, Nutanix AOS, with Prism for the application side of things. It is used specifically for its hyper-converged functionality, but not for anything database-related.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We definitely have some issues with Nutanix Prism. Our main issue is that we cannot operate the database. It would seem that less configuration would be desirable, because between Nutanix and the Oracle database on Windows, there tends to be problems. When we took our initial problems with the database to Nutanix support, they gave us some configurations to try out, but these did not solve anything.

So the problems remain, and that is why we are only using Nutanix Prism for our application. We didn't have the time to find a working configuration for the database, and thus we migrated the database to another solution.

Their support seems to have some problems, too, because when we opened a ticket the one time, the lower level of support connected to take the ticket and the technician said that it was a false positive, meaning that they could not reference the error. However, Prism clearly stated to us that there was an error, despite the technician checking the system and telling us, "No, there are no more errors." I wanted the technician to clarify what had happened, but he merely told me the fault is inaccessible.

I have been using Nutanix Prism for three years.

Virtualization Management Tools
    July 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Nutanix, VMware, Dell Technologies and others in Virtualization Management Tools. Updated: July 2022.
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable, but we tend not to overload the system in any way.

We can't really depend on Nutanix Prism, so we are currently just using it for non-essential work in our site.

The support is bad because they take too long to solve issues, and in one instance they dismissed an error we got from Prism as a false positive for no obvious reason.

The setup is useful because there are a few variables that we have to input, and then we simply proceed with the recommended settings. The overall time to deploy depends somewhat on Nutanix, but with a Nutanix cluster of 11 nodes on the site, plus the hypervisor, it will take around seven to ten hours.

In general, we have just two technicians using Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

I cannot truly recommend Nutanix Prism for others. It was just the one time for us, and in the future we will use another solution because it seems that whatever hyper-converged system we might use, like VMware's vSAN or Nutanix, will still have a lot of issues with either the application or database.

Thus, for us, we may return to a more standard solution such as hardware-based storage with our own servers, rather than software-defined solutions. We have spent a lot of money on the Nutanix solution that could have been better spent elsewhere, such as on high-end storage with plenty of IOPS and bandwidth.

I would rate Nutanix Prism a five out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    CEO at Orieta.tech
    Works in virtualized environments with high performance requirements with hyperscale availability
    • "Nutanix Prism is popular in the Indian market, particularly in enterprises where they need a DR type of environment, and where they look for less than finite RPO and RTO. If you have this environment on-premises, and if you can just rent out some portion to any of the service providers, then you can easily set up a DR environment to give you a finite list versus RPO and RTO."
    • "Nutanix Prism needs more flexibility commercially and more flexibility with their licensing. Currently they're very fixed on their licensing model, for example, it's based on terabyte calculation."

What is our primary use case?

Nutanix Prism is used in a virtualized environment with high-performance requirements where people can have the VMs and run the databases with infrastructure as a given service, that has five nines or four nines uptime environments.

What is most valuable?

Nutanix Prism is popular in the Indian market, particularly in enterprises where they need a DR type of environment, and where they look for less than finite RPO and RTO. If you have this environment on-premises, and if you can just rent out some portion to any of the service providers, then you can easily set up a DR environment to give you a finite list versus RPO and RTO.

What needs improvement?

Nutanix Prism needs more flexibility commercially and more flexibility with its licensing. Currently, they're very fixed on their licensing model, for example, it's based on terabyte calculation.

I've been using Nutanix Prism for two years now.

Nutanix Prism is a very stable solution.

Nutanix Prism is a scalable solution. It also has hyperscale availability.

We contacted the support team for Nutanix Prism during the initial setup. There were some configurations we were not able to understand, but their support team was very helpful.

We used VMware predominantly. We also used Cisco HCI before using Nutanix Prism. We didn't need to switch, but we wanted to have different flavors in our environment to cater to more customers.

Nutanix Prism has a very straightforward initial setup. They provided very helpful guidance during the setup process. If one knows the basic setup criteria of the network, the solution can be easily deployed in any environment.

Implementation of Nutanix Prism took a few weeks. We set up the environment in-house without using a consultant or integrator, but we had help from the Nutanix support team.

The license we bought for Nutanix Prism is perpetual, so once you have it, you can keep on using it. It's a three-year license that you pay once for. The license we have covers the three-node cluster, but then you need to have the basic networking gear for the infrastructure to work in the type of environment we're in. For example, the only additional thing we need to do apart from getting the license is to plan the network connectivity.

What other advice do I have?

I use Nutanix Prism. It's a three-node solution for virtualization. It's an on-premise solution. I don't remember which version I'm using.

The solution is being used within our organization, but we also have customers hosted on top of that, so I don't remember exactly how many people are using Nutanix Prism. For deployment and maintenance of the solution, you'll need two people: one system administrator and one network L2 or L3.

I can recommend Nutanix Prism to others who want to start using it, but my advice is for them to get the POC done first. They have to understand the environment, use cases, and what they're looking for, then they can make their call.

I'm rating Nutanix Prism nine out of ten.

Virtualization Management Tools
    July 2022
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Mohammed Khorshed  Alam - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Stable and easy to manage with good pricing
    • "The pricing is very good if you compare it to other competitors."
    • "It would be ideal if there was more of a community around the solution so that it would be easier to learn things about the solution from other users."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our government agency. They use the solution to provide support recruitment, job solutions, and job vacancy training, etc.

What is most valuable?

The logs on the solution are excellent. It gives us very good visibility.

The solution is fairly easy to use. Especially compared to other solutions, Nutanix is very easy to manage.

The pricing is very good if you compare it to other competitors.

The solution is stable.

What needs improvement?

I'm still learning about the solution. I haven't explored the entire solution just yet.

The life expectancy of the solution should be improved.

We've had hardware compatibility issues.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is reliable and stable. Thre aren't bugs and glitches or crashes of any kind. It also doesn't freeze up or stop working.

It's isn't very difficult to scale the solution. I would say this solution expands well and quite easily if a company needs to grow it out.

For me, technical support has been good. They are easy to reach and knowledgeable.

It would be good, for people like me trying to learn the system, if there was a bigger community that surrounded the product itself to help with questions I have about general usage and capabilities.

I joined the organization in January. I am unsure as to what solution was used previously.

The initial setup was difficult for us. When I tried to download it, there was a hardware compatibility issue I had to deal with.

I'm not sure how long deployment takes. I handle the maintenance myself. I'm a senior systems engineer.

Compared to competitors in the space, it's less expensive. The pricing is pretty decent.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution.

We're not a direct customer of Nutanix. We mostly handle support of the solution.

I'm still learning about the resolution. I'm going through training manuals and picking up what I can.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. Overall, it's been good. I'm still getting used to it though.

ShadabBatlawala - PeerSpot reviewer
    VMware Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good support, competitively-priced, and fast performance
    • "Nutanix Prism is very fast compared to VMware and whatever you need to do, you can do it quickly."
    • "Nutanix does not support all of the Linux distributions, so we have to use VMware in some cases."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Nutanix Prism with our Linux systems.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The only issue with Nutanix is that when you want to take a snapshot, you have to power down and then back up, which creates a short period of downtime. This is a negative point for Nutanix because, in our environment, downtime is not something that we get easily. VMware does not have this issue.

I would like to have more control from Prism so that you can control everything from there, as it does with vCenter.

I have been working with Nutanix for the past two years.

There is a limitation when it comes to scalability. We have a lot of tools in our environment so the resources are at about 80% capacity. In order to add more tools, we have to add another node and move the VM into another cluster. This will create downtime. Currently, we have 14 nodes.

Nutanix technical support is very good. You just log a call, they respond, and you can easily get support.

I used VMware for six years but I am now more comfortable with Nutanix. Nutanix Prism is cheaper in price and they are very supportive.

The initial setup is straightforward. I would not say that it is tough, or complex, but rather a very easy setup.

This product is cheaper than using VMware.

What other advice do I have?

Nowadays, I recommend that people use Nutanix Prism. I have been using Nutanix for two years and feel that it is very good compared to VMware. I spent six years working with VMware and am more comfortable with Nutanix. They are very supportive.

My only complaints about Nutanix are that downtime is required more often and the issue with resource limitations when clustering.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reasonably priced with quick cloning of virtual machines and a helpful hyper-convergence feature
    • "For me, the speed of cloning virtual machines and the hyper-convergence feature are the most valuable aspects of the solution."
    • "The solution should offer the ability to change network settings without removing the network card from the virtual machine."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for virtualization for virtual machines, including the Windows virtual machines in Linux.

What is most valuable?

For me, the speed of cloning virtual machines and the hyper-convergence feature are the most valuable aspects of the solution.

The solution is quite stable.

The pricing is fair. It doesn't strike me as being overly expensive.

What needs improvement?

The solution should offer the ability to change network settings without removing the network card from the virtual machine.

I don't know the solution very well. I need more time to really explore it. What I need may already be available.

I've been using the solution for six months.

While the average stability is good, I find that the upgrade process of all the components of Nutanix are too slow.

I've never tried to scale the product. I can't speak to how easy or difficult it would be to do so.

We have maybe 200 people utilizing the product right now. It's used regularly, on a daily basis.

I've never had to reach out to technical support and therefore cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are. I don't have any insights to share.

I did not install the solution myself. I can't speak to any direct insights into how easy or difficult the process was. By the time I came along, everything was already up and running.

The pricing of the product seems to be reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

The company I currently work for may have a relationship with Nutanix. I can't say for sure. They may be partners.

I'm not sure if I am using the Pro or the regular version. I was not the person who installed it. I'm just a user. That said, we are always using the most recent version of the product.

I'd recommend the solution to others. The cost is okay.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

SALVATORE LABONIA - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solutions Architect at ITD
    Good storage flexibility and linear scalability, but high relative cost
    • "The features that I have found most valuable are its storage flexibility, linear scalability, and perhaps ease of use and powerful support."
    • "The cost is a negative aspect."

What is our primary use case?

Our main activities with Nutanix Prism are server and desktop virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are its storage flexibility, linear scalability, and perhaps ease of use and powerful support.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved or simplified, they have an active software as a business continuity using Acropolis Hypervisor with the Syncro Disaster recovery, and they have made a good improvement with live upgrade with the LCM, but I would say there should be additional improvements on the live upgrade.

In the next release, I think it should have the integration monitor from a server component because I have some issues with the integration with the third party monitoring tool. I would also like to see additional improvements in the dashboard.

I have been using Nutanix Prism for three years.

Yes, it is stable, but there is a good support team in case of a problem.

The initial setup is a one click deployment. 70% of the time I did the setup I made the automatic discovery installation field and the majority of times I did a manual installation. The automatic installation is quick, but the majority of times I did it I needed to swap it from automatic to manual which required a lot of additional activities. They have good support, but it was a time consuming activity.

We are also working with competing products - VMware VxRail and Sangfor which is a Chinese product, which is much cheaper because of its poor market share. It was a product with less experience and less functionality, but it was much cheaper. So Nutanix costs a lot, but it has ease of use, ease due to having a lot of the market share, has a lot of features, and has continuous improvement, but the cost is a negative aspect.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Nutanix Prism a seven. It can be improved.

Project Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easier to use than other products and highly scalable
    • "Nutanix Prism is very simple to use compared to other products. I have tried a number of tools, including VMware ESXi. Nutanix Prism is much simpler to use and we feel data transfers in it are very fast."
    • "One problem I faced when creating a VM and adding a hard disk to is that Nutanix Prism did not allow me to reduce that VM's hard disk."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Nutanix Prism is deploying web servers.

What is most valuable?

Nutanix Prism is very simple to use compared to other products. I have tried a number of tools, including VMware ESXi. Nutanix Prism is much simpler to use and we feel data transfers in it are very fast. That's why we approached them originally.

What needs improvement?

One problem I faced when creating a VM and adding a hard disk is that Nutanix Prism did not allow me to reduce that VM's hard disk. This is an issue because I could not find a solution.

Also, in a session I had with Nutanix Prism today, I was told that they are going to include Kubernetes deployment in the next release. That is a good approach from my perspective. It's important for solutions to stay on the cutting edge.

I have been using this solution since March, so for about a year.

Nutanix Prism is scalable. On a scale of one to five, I give it a 4.5 for scalability.

The Nutanix Prism technical support is good. Whenever we have tried to reach them in the past, they have been available for us. I am satisfied with the technical support Nutanix Prism provides.

The initial Nutanix Prism deployment was straightforward. We did not run into any issues. We created the CVM easily and deployed it on the cloud. We did this with the help of a Nutanix Prism support person from India.

What other advice do I have?

Nutanix Prism is a good solution. It is better than other products. I recommend it.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
    System Administrator at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
    Good technical support, straightforward to set up, and the included hypervisor works well
    • "The most valuable features are Prism Central and the Disaster Recovery."
    • "I would like to see the capability to use FC SAN storage."

What is our primary use case?

We use Nutanix Prism to manage our CVMs.

I use this solution occasionally, although not in our production environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are Prism Central and the Disaster Recovery. These features only come in the platinum edition, as far as I know.

It is flexible because you can use different hypervisors.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the capability to use FC SAN storage. Currently, this technology is not supported.

In our experience, it is stable. Given that we do not use it in a production environment, however, we do not use it on a daily basis.

Nutanix Prism is definitely scalable.

Nutanix is very good when it comes to providing technical support.

We also use NetApp HCI and there are differences between them. For example, in NetApp, the hypervisor is unchangeable and works only with the VMware version. That is one of the disadvantages. On the other hand, NetApp is scalable in terms of both storage and compute, independently. It is not more scalable than Nutanix, but hit has independency of storage and compute, which might make it more cost-effective in some situations.

Another disadvantage of NetApp is that it's more expensive.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Nutanix Prism is priced better than some of the competing solutions.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Nutanix Prism is to use the hypervisor that comes with it because there is no reason to use another one.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Virtualization Management Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Nutanix, VMware, Dell Technologies, and more!
    Updated: July 2022