Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Nutanix Flow Network Security OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Nutanix Flow Network Security is #7 ranked solution in top Microsegmentation Software tools. PeerSpot users give Nutanix Flow Network Security an average rating of 9.4 out of 10. Nutanix Flow Network Security is most commonly compared to VMware NSX: Nutanix Flow Network Security vs VMware NSX. Nutanix Flow Network Security is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Microsegmentation Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Nutanix Flow Network Security?
Flow Network Security is a stateful, distributed, microsegmentation firewall. It is provided as part of NCI Ultimate or as part of the optional Security Add-On package for NCI Pro.

Nutanix Flow Network Security was previously known as Nutanix Flow Microsegmentation.

Nutanix Flow Network Security Customers

JetBlue, International Speedway Corporation, Volkswagen SAIC, Brighton and Hove City Council, Foresters Financial, Janus International Group, Cloud Comrade, Serco

Nutanix Flow Network Security Video

Nutanix Flow Network Security Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Nutanix Flow Network Security pricing:
  • "There is an annual subscription to use this solution. There is a 60-day trial to use the solution, it gives you time to decide if you want to continue using the solution."
  • "This model is very accessible to implement."
  • Nutanix Flow Network Security Reviews

Hamada Farag - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technology Consultant at Beta Information Technology
    • "Nutanix Flow has a lot of data protection features. It's also valuable for operations and management. It's a big solution that works well with different solutions and is suitable for most business cases."
    • "Nutanix Flow's networking features could use some improvement. Also, I don't know if it's currently supporting load balancing or not."

What is most valuable?

Nutanix Flow has a lot of data protection features. It's also valuable for operations and management. It's a big solution that works well with different solutions and is suitable for most business cases.

What needs improvement?

Nutanix Flow's networking features could use some improvement. Also, I don't know if it's currently supporting load balancing or not. Lately, we've been working a bit more with Nutanix Calm. We're trying to invest more in Calm and deliver solutions based on that platform. But it is still a new software. It's a new solution for automation and helping customers develop a private cloud. We are still facing a lot of challenges in Calm, but in the future, we will focus on Calm and Era our customers benefit a lot from these products. Era is a database-as-a-service (DBaaS) solution that we plan to promote to the customer along with Calm because Calm minimizes the time and operations efforts of the customer.

We've worked with Nutanix Flow for around two years now. So far, we've helped five to 10 customers implement Flow.

Nutanix Flow is highly stable.

Microsegmentation Software
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Nutanix, VMware, Palo Alto Networks and others in Microsegmentation Software. Updated: September 2022.
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Nutanix Flow is scalable. The most important benefit for the customer is scalability. It's scalable and stable, so if you increase the number of nodes, it will not affect the performance.

Nutanix support is good. When we have any issues during implementation, we open a case with the support and receive good support immediately. I've worked with many vendors in the market, including VMware and other different solutions, and I think Nutanix has some of the best support.

Installing Nutanix is easy. We have expertise in initial deployment and are already delivering multiple projects. Initial deployment involves configuring project node connections and powering on the network connections. Next, you have to set the initial configurations to start the nodes, build the clusters, and then create virtual machines and run them.

Flow's price is very competitive compared to solutions by VxRail, VMware, Dell EMC, Lenovo, and HPE. However, I'd like to see some different pricing tiers for small and medium-sized customers, who sometimes have trouble affording it.

Nutanix Flow still doesn't do anything that VMware can't do. To be honest, it's still second to VMWare, but I think it's a very good solution. And it's easier to use. Implementing VMware is complex. There is a lot of configuration and you have to set many policies. Configuring and delivering VMware is challenging, but Flow is straightforward. The interface is familiar and nice. On the other hand, VMware has some features like VxRail that are more advanced than Flow.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Nutanix Flow eight out of 10. We need more workshops for the customers and partners as well as some training for the pre-sales engineering and solution architects implementing Flow for the customer. If the pre-sales engineers and solution architects are confident with Flow and know all the tricks, they will be confident to talk about it with the customer and convince them to go with the product. It's not just an issue with Flow. Nutanix needs more training materials and in-depth workshops for its whole portfolio. We don't really need a workshop that gives a basic overview of the solution. Almost all of our pre-sales staff have a technical background so they don't need a primer on Flow or Calm or any other Nutanix solution. We want workshops that can provide a deep dive into the solution how it works in different use cases.

Eduardo-Penedos - PeerSpot reviewer
    Telcommunications expert at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Reliable, stable, and trial version available
    • "Nutanix Flow is straightforward to install. You only need to select a checkmark that you want to enable Nutanix Flow."
    • "For customers who are running Nutanix Flow and AHV, the largest area for improvement is in the disaster recovery environments. To automate the populate of rules from one side to the other side in case of disaster you report everything on the disaster recovery site, and you have all the rules automatically applied. This was something that was being built when I left Nutanix. It might already be available. Additionally, the usability of the rules editor could improve."

What is our primary use case?

Nutanix Flow is a solution to build or provide micro-segmentation.

Micro-segmentation is a zero-trust environment where no VM communicates to another VM, even if they are on the same network. There are situations when you don't want to allow them to communicate for a specific reason.

Most companies have networks, but there are VMS on those networks and they can communicate with each other. The only option for the customer not to them communicate is for them to have different networks and have them pass through a firewall, which is highly expensive and difficult to manage.

What needs improvement?

For customers who are running Nutanix Flow and AHV, the largest area for improvement is in the disaster recovery environments. To automate the populate of rules from one side to the other side in case of disaster you report everything on the disaster recovery site, and you have all the rules automatically applied. This was something that was being built when I left Nutanix. It might already be available. Additionally, the usability of the rules editor could improve.

I have been using Nutanix Flow for approximately three years.

I rate the stability of Nutanix Flow a five out of five.

I rate the scalability of Nutanix Flow a four out of five.

I would rate the initial setup of Nutanix Flow a five out of five.

I have seen a return on investment using Nutanix Flow. When comparing the costs of Nutanix Flow versus managing multiple VLANs and many other firewalls, it is far less expensive.

I rate the price of Nutanix Flow a five out of five.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to try the solution.

I rate Nutanix Flow a ten out of ten.

Microsegmentation Software
    September 2022
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Reseller
    Allows for complete visibility and traffic control
    • "It allows for policies that enable complete visibility and traffic control."
    • "The most difficult part is the configuration of the initial blueprints."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used for micro-segmentation and to control all the traffic east to west in the applications. It allows for policies that enable complete visibility and traffic control.

How has it helped my organization?

Flow is great to control East to West traffic

What is most valuable?

The solution has a very powerful fiber link. For me, it is one of the most important parts. Another valuable feature is the VPC.

What needs improvement?

Flow is very new in the market. I have two or three years of experience with the solution.

You can increase the nodes and scale the application as needed quite easily.

Nutanix has many call centers worldwide, and you can get an answer on any question quickly.

The solution is very easy to deploy. Usually, you don't need to make any configuration at all in your hypervisor. It is configured in the micro-segmentation session.

Nutanix Flow is not very expensive. Primary is license by Host

There are no hidden fees. You only pay for how many nodes you'd like to implement in your clusters, and the plans are subscription-based. So you pay for three years at a time, and it's not expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is the network needs to be set up properly, and you need to diagram all of your traffic before implementing to make your troubleshooting easier.

I would rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Infraprojman677 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Infrastructure Project Manager at CDM
    An easily scalable solution, with excellent virtual machine segregation functionality

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a DMZ environment; it allows us to spread to the database traffic.

What is most valuable?

We appreciate the fact that this solution allows us to segregate two virtual machines that are in the same cluster.

What needs improvement?

We would like the reporting functionality of this solution to be improved.

We have been using this solution for around two years.

We have found this to be a stable solution.

This is an easily scalable solution; we carried out an extension recently that worked very well.

The initial setup of this solution is quite straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.