Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Nutanix Database Services OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Nutanix Database Services is #3 ranked solution in top Database Development and Management tools. PeerSpot users give Nutanix Database Services an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Nutanix Database Services is most commonly compared to Oracle Enterprise Manager: Nutanix Database Services vs Oracle Enterprise Manager. Nutanix Database Services is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
Nutanix Database Services Buyer's Guide

Download the Nutanix Database Services Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Nutanix Database Services?
Nutanix Database Service (NDB) simplifies and automates database lifecycle management across on-premises and public clouds for Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle Database, PostgreSQL, MySQL, and MongoDB databases.

Nutanix Database Services was previously known as Nutanix Era.

Nutanix Database Services Customers

JetBlue, International Speedway Corporation, SAIC Volkswagen

Nutanix Database Services Video

Archived Nutanix Database Services Reviews (more than two years old)

Pre-sales Technical Solution Architect at Mustafa Sultan Office Technology Co. LLC
Reseller
Clients can use it for automatization as well as virtualization but patch management has caused issues
  • "It has wizards that are very helpful in the installation, and it handles automation as well as virtualization once deployed."
  • "Patch management is an issue as it regularly causes stability problems."

What is our primary use case?

We deploy the solution for companies we work within the areas we cover — like our Minister of Education. They work with a lot of colleges. So we help them to deploy Nutanix in the central data center at the Ministry of Education. The colleges are using the centralized database from their locations as a guest or a cloud entity.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature in Nutanix Era is that the clients can use it for automatization as well as virtualization.

There is no extra charge for other things. There is a scaled-down deployment. They get only the features that the client is issued.

What needs improvement?

We just started about three or four months back to do deeper explorations of the product. We are in the implementation of it really, and exploration is still on-going. Essentially, customers have just started using this product so we need to wait some time and see what their feedback is going to be like. Generally, before, we were using the Nutanix Acropolis product, which is another hypervisor, and the deployment was okay. This is something new for us, so we are still discovering a lot about this solution. Maybe after six months, we will have more valuable customer feedback about what is missing and what is required to be improved.

But so far, we already have some issues like patch management which has shown to cause some stability issues. The pricing — which is probably the biggest issue for this product becoming more accepted in the market — probably needs to be re-evaluated because it is too high and customers are resisting the cost. The pricing structure is also much more confusing than it needs to be.

We have three customers here and they are working with Era. We are the system integrator so we deployed Era over there between three and four months ago depending on the client.

Nutanix Database Services
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Nutanix Database Services. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We don't see any problems with Nutanix so far. It is mostly very stable. But all the cases that usually reveal stability problems are upgrades. If we are upgrading the operating system or doing firmware upgrades and server upgrades, we may experience some stability issues. Sometimes there are stability issues when rebooting the node. These are the kind of things we have come to expect with this product, so it is okay. We are planning accordingly when we have to do upgrades and so far everything is surviving. We get by the temporary issues and move on.

But we have definitely seen stability issues when we are upgrading the firmware of the servers with virtual machines in Nutanix. Otherwise, Nutanix is stable. The patch manager is the issue. So I think there is a lot of room for improvement in the patch management. Maybe the virtual machine has to be somehow offline when upgrading patches. This is not happening with the VMWare or other hyper-convergent products. It could be improved because they know when these situations occur and they know they need to resolve it.

Nutanix is good with scalability. There are no issues. Most of the clusters are six nodes, eight nodes, or twelve nodes. We have all kinds of customers in various businesses of various sizes with greatly varying demands. We have telecom customers and we have small customers. Some start with six nodes, some start with four nodes, some start with eight nodes. Different customers all have different variations in configurations. In 2018, we introduced three implementation packages which simplifies things somewhat from our end and in discussing the pricing points with clients. We maintain a 90 percent market coverage. In all, there are around 15 to 17 Nutanix customers and we never had a problem with scaling.

As a reseller, we carry a lot of products. For about 90 percent of our customers, we are using VMWare and only 5 percent of our customers are using Nutanix. Some customers we have are also using Microsoft Hyper-V. Everything is in clusters. What the customer ends up using depends on the customer's needs and cost of the licensing. A lot of other things could have an impact on the decision-making process on the customer's side.

The Nutanix product has a lot of wizard-based utility for the installation which does everything. It is well thought out and very nice.

Right now, most of the things that our clients are using the product for are automatization as well as virtualization. These are the two features that the customers are most interested in.

The costs for Nutanix Era are subscription-based. It is very expensive. This is one of the reasons why it is not easy to deploy Nutanix as a reseller. This is especially true if clients have their own hyperware like Microsoft Hyper-V or VMWare and can compare the cost of those products.

But the cost depends on the customers. When you compare Nutanix to VMWare, it is impossible to beat the price because the cost of Nutanix is very high. The pricing is something that should be lower. It is the Nutanix license itself that costs a lot. It is not the hardware, it is the software. The only thing which is stopping Nutanix from being a bigger player in the market is the price of the software.

They have built a lot of complexity into the licensing as well. Sometimes costs are based on licensing of components, sometimes on the processor, sometimes on the cache, sometimes on the capacity. The licensing is too complex especially compared to something like VMware which is simple processor-based licensing. They have a single price and there is no flaw in the technology which suggests it is not as capable as the Nutanix product.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Nutanix Era as a four or five. Because we have only been using the product for less than five months, we are still doing some evaluations and there is feedback pending from the customer experience. There is too much that we still need to discover. But the pricing and the stability are big problems. I will have to give this product a four.

Private Cloud
System Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Easy to use and stable with a straightforward setup
  • "Overall, the solution is very good. It's easy to use and simple to handle many actions, such as VM cloning, testing, and prediction."
  • "The solution needs to improve compatibility with other back-ups and products."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to switch different phases of development, for example, to testing, prediction, etc., which are all quite easy to execute. It's an easy way to switch to one type of development and to use testing and prediction on cloning VM.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The management of the solution needs to be improved.

The solution needs better backup support, especially with Amazon Media.

The solution needs to improve compatibility with other back-ups and products.

We've been using the solution since the TA version. It's been about a year and a half.

The solution is very stable. We haven't experienced any bugs or glitches. I don't have anything bad to say about it. It's a very stable product.

I would say that the solution can be scalable. If you run it, for example, on Nutanix, it's quite scalable. However, if you use it with another infrastructure solution, it may not be scalable anymore.

Our company's clients are medium to large enterprises. The solution wouldn't be suitable for small companies.

While there aren't too many users on the solution itself (usually there are only two or maybe three), it's indirectly a useful product for many users. It accelerates the time to market of the application, for example. It's useful for many users but it's only used by a few people in the organization.

I've never used the technical support offered by the product so I can't speak to any experience I've had. I don't think it's bad, but, like other products, because I don't use it myself, I can't rate it.

The solution is really easy to set up. Users get good results with the tool they use to deploy the solution and to run it. It's really helpful.

It takes about 30 minutes for an organization to deploy.

I don't recall the cost of the product or the term life of the contracts. I'm not involved with handling the pricing of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're reseller partners, and we sell various solutions to our customers.

We only set up the solution for our customers; it's our customers that choose the deployment model they want to work with.

If others are considering implementing the solution, I'd advise that the first check the availability and compatibility of the product against their existing systems and infrastructure.

I'd rate the solution quite high, at about nine out of ten.

Nutanix Database Services
September 2022
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Nishant Panchal - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr.System Engineer / Consultent (Professional Services) - Infrastructure Management at Future Technology Systems Co. (FutureTEC)
Easy to use interface with good database lifecycle features
  • "There are a lot of options for working with the database."
  • "I would like to see the SQL compatibility enhanced."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that I recently implemented for one of my customers.

Their primary use case is managing their database lifecycle.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are working with database errors. There are a lot of options for working with the database.

The interface is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the SQL compatibility enhanced.

I have been using this solution for almost six months.

This is a stable solution that is easy to use, without much complexity.

This solution is scalable. Right now, our client has three or four DBAs using it.

I did not use technical support for this solution, but my understanding is that it is good.

The initial setup for this solution is straightforward. The deployment took less than two hours.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend. It has very good features for the database lifecycle, and I would definitely recommend that people try this.

This is a good solution, but there is always room for enhancements such as compatibility with other databases.

Download our free Nutanix Database Services Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022