IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

N2WS Cloud Protection Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Disaster Recovery (DR) Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is N2WS Cloud Protection Manager?

With Cloud Protection Manager, you get an enterprise-class solution purpose-built for the AWS cloud that provides full support for EC2/EBS, RDS, RedShift, & Aurora.

N2WS Cloud Protection Manager Customers

Coca-Cola, tecRacer, Cloudar, Goodwill

N2WS Cloud Protection Manager Video

Archived N2WS Cloud Protection Manager Reviews (more than two years old)

Technical Adviser, Data Center at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Reliable cloud data backup solution but could use more management tools
  • "The product is successful with the SMB market."
  • "It's a global feature that the customer thinks they don't have enough tools to manage, to copy, to delay, and to classify the object file in the backup directory. So they need more tools to manage files in object directory."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers primarily use it to have a double copy because they made their first backup or first copy onsite and they would like to externalize a second copy of their workload. Sometimes they use the classical backup solution with Veritas or Commvault, ARCserve or others, and they could use a second view of the VM backup with Veeam or others. They make a Veeam backup as a strategy and an application backup. More and more they use the Cloud as a repository for the Veeam Backup.

What is most valuable?

In terms of most valuable features, it is firstly for backup - its strength as the right repository. By the past, for a secondary repository platform. they just use the storage space and use it to place a copy of the VM or the application. It is not being used as a disaster recovery solution, just as a data recovery one.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what can be improved, the problem is not on the feature. The problem we have found is the network because it's not so easy to access a second link for backup or data recovery or connecting to the cloud with very strict protection security. They are more oriented towards security than how to work with the backup and we have to explain how to use encryption and to manage it. In a second time customer address deduplication and compression to reduce storage size and cost.

At this time, we just use the regular feature, using the AWS repository as storage for them all.

Lastly, it's a global feature that the customer thinks they don't have enough tools to manage, to copy, to delete, to move, and to classify the object file in the backup directory a the storage feature level. So they need more tools to manage files in the object directory.( REST API is not enough for customers).

We started working with VEEAM Cloud Protection from the beginning . Now we promote the solution every day.

Disaster Recovery (DR) Software
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about N2WS, Veeam Software, Druva and others in Disaster Recovery (DR) Software. Updated: July 2022.
622,645 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I don't know about support because it is made directly by the vendors. It's not done by the channel. The channel is used for selling, installation, and setup.

I don't know about support, the only thing I see is that we sell more and more. It's a good product.

The initial setup is not complex, but you have to know exactly what you would like to do in terms of backup. It's a question of competency. It's not for people with no technical skills. It's for people who know how to make a backup, how to assign a device and network, and how to work on that. It's not hard, but it's for people who have basic technical skill on the Cloud or IT.

Deployment usually takes a few hours.

In my company we have no technician to deploy, only a presale engineer and trainers. We have a training session to certify partners to do install and setup. We animate a 450 partners community who have the capability to deploy backup solutions on the Cloud or onsite.

We have the product in our lab because we need a technical platform for training and to practice, for PoC for example. The platform is available for my partners too. My partner has to deploy on-site and our job at ARROW ECS is to give them the capability to do that through training or competency transfer.

The channel is prioritizing the SMB market - on the small and medium business. Overall, the product is successful with the SMB market, that seems that price and services cost is aligned with the SMB market and well accepted by customers

We are Moving from perpetual subscription and billed to monthly basis services (Cloud billing method).

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate N2WS Cloud Protection Manager a seven. I don't give it a ten because in our case, in France, you have many MSP for the storage solution for backup. Local MSP promotes the fact that the data stays in France. The customers would like to be sure that their partners engage the site and where the data stays. It's not a question of a feature. It is a question of régulation.

It's just a question of how the customer would like to use the product. The product is made with an American view of how to use their data and how to use the backup. In EMEA and in France, it's different because you have many kinds of companies, including small companies, and governments. The government has their own needs and we have to respect that. It's a question of regulation. Veeam could solve this by having CSP  in each country and near customers.

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
A lightweight DR solution that is easy to use and manage
  • "The backup and restore functionality is very easy to use and manage."
  • "The GUI could be slightly improved."

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution for backing up my virtual machines. I am also performing backups on applications like SQL and Alliance.

How has it helped my organization?

This product works as our DR solution.

What is most valuable?

The backup and restore functionality is very easy to use and manage.

What needs improvement?

The GUI could be slightly improved.

I have been using N2WS Cloud Protection Manager for three years.

This is one of the most stable products that I have ever seen. We are using it on a daily basis.

I cannot comment on scalability because I have been using this solution for three years and have not upgraded or increased my infrastructure. There are between 30 and 35 servers that are being backed up.

I have used Commvault and HYCU and the GUI on both of these products is slightly better.

It is very easy to set up this product. We did not have any major problems.

I deployed this solution myself, and it took 30 to 45 minutes.

The price is not cheap, nor is it costly. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

This is a perfect product for me because I don't want something that consumes too much in terms of resources. I just want it to perform backups.

In my opinion, this product is for medium-sized companies. Not for a large enterprise.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner, reseller
Disaster Recovery (DR) Software
July 2022
622,645 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Silvia Rivera Aguilar - PeerSpot reviewer
Pre-Sales Engineer at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Gives us flexible backup policies and schedules for AWS workloads
  • "Provides easy, one-click functionality and flexible backup policies and schedules for AWS workloads."
  • "Additional features I would like to see are the ability to restore to different vendors, AWS and Azure, and/or the ability or take the information out of the AWS cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for backup and recovery, to schedule the backups in the production environment in case of disaster.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution enables us to automate all the AWS workloads. Before, we had to make rules for every workload. Now we save time and are more relaxed.

What is most valuable?

• Easy one-click functionality
  • Flexible backup policies and schedules for AWS workloads

What needs improvement?

Deployment is one area that could use improvement.

Additional features I would like to see are the ability to restore to different vendors, AWS and Azure, and/or the ability to take the information out of the AWS cloud.

We are able to use the product in production environments without disruption. The backup and recovery times are better, even if we put stress on the environment.

The scalability looks good. We have 12 VMs on the cloud, and the tool is helping us to improve backup and recovery times.

In terms of the integration and configuration of this product in our AWS environment, it is an easy-to-use tool, easy to install, very intuitive, and saves time.

We have some DBs in the environment and it works well with them. We also have some VMs in deployment and the integration with them was easy, without any problems.

It has very good pricing per instance and comes with three options, for both small and large environments, to fit your needs.

It was easy to find everything; the AWS Marketplace is very intuitive for anyone. We procured this solution via the Marketplace because of the facility of the portal, and to ensure full integration between the tool, the portal, etc. The process was very simple.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a ten out of ten. It is a good investment and gives us the best solution with its pay-for-what-you-need pricing.

Cloud Architect, Oracle ACE, Oracle DBA at Pythian
MSP
A reliable backup solution that meets SLA standards
  • "The recovery time is fantastic and proven. Also, by providing a simple interface, the solution lowers the cost."
  • "More documentation would be helpful, especially some step-by-step documents for recovery scenarios."

What is our primary use case?

One of our clients in AWS needed a near-immediate recovery for all of their cloud. That's why we opted for N2WS Backup & Recovery, which recovers it in 30 seconds or sometimes even less.

How has it helped my organization?

One of our clients in AWS needed a backup solution that would enable them to have a reliable backups solution and that would meet or exceed their SLAs without causing a dent on internal resources. So after evaluating, they used N2WS.

What is most valuable?

The recovery time is fantastic and it's proven. Also, it lowers the cost by providing a simple interface.

What needs improvement?

More documentation would be helpful, especially some step-by-step documents for recovery scenarios. In addition, a seamless integration with on-premise third party backup solutions would be great.

Its very stable and mature and utilized the cloud resources efficiently to do the job.

Its a cloud product and scales pretty nicely.

I give this product a ten out of ten because of the ease of operation, and the actual cost.

It was easy to purchase from the AWS marketplace. It is also very economical, and worth every penny.

What other advice do I have?

It does the job and you don’t need to write your own scripts. It solves one of the major issues organizations have when they move to AWS.

Senior Cloud Engineer at Deloitte
The backup and recovery are its most valuable features. However, the UI is a bit dated.
  • "The backup and recovery are the most valuable features. So, our developers can work with confidence."
  • "The UI is a little dated and hard to use. Some of the buttons are a bit small. You have to go into the menu to get the settings you want."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for backup of EC2 instances and RDS.

How has it helped my organization?

We offer our product to clients and backups is an expected feature. So, this is one of the many things that we can say we do. We have backups and recovery along with a lifecycle policy and schedule built-in for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The backup and recovery are the most valuable features. So, our developers can work with confidence. E.g., if we break something, we can quickly recover it instantly.

What needs improvement?

I would like them to make the controls a bit more user-friendly. The UI is a little dated and hard to use. Some of the buttons are a bit small. You have to go into the menu to get the settings you want. It would probably be good if there were some analysis dashboard or an easily accessible web dashboard for a lot of users where individual clients could see their backups, and even get recommendations or estimates of costs.

Three to five years.

The stability works fine. It hasn't gone down.

We backup things as standard, so usually we have over 600 instances that we back up every day.

It should scale fine.

We currently have about 200 AWS accounts and more than 600 instances being backed up.

With the integration and configuration for AWS, there are still a few manual steps when setting up a new AWS account. Obviously, we can automate it, since it's standard. However, it might be good if it were built into their product. What happens now is we have to make new daily, weekly, and monthly backup policies, and we need to make these per account. However, these policies are same. It would be better if there was a technical reason for all these policies since customers are using hundreds of our accounts right now. It would be nice to have policies as standard, e.g., have three policies for all the accounts.

The purchasing process through the AWS Marketplace is easy. Just click the button.

We're a large company, and if you go through finance paying by invoice, it adds delays and more things to manually track. Whereas, with AWS Marketplace, for AWS instances, On Demand pricing, and elastic pricing, you can stop and start as you need. It takes away all the overhead of having to deal with finance if we're just building products. We're all tech people. We don't want to worry about the financial aspect of it.

The pricing and licensing on AWS is fine, because you can do it for smaller tiers depending on your number of instances, so it's not that scary.

AWS adds more features and offer things for free, or cheaply. Therefore, we will be evaluating AWS Data Lifecycle Manager, because it will probably do backups. Thus, make sure the product that you are using is competitive or adds more value than AWS.

There wasn't a lot of choice for backup. Right now, AWS is sort of moving into this space. So, CPM will have to keep working to stay on the forefront of AWS and keep improving its product.

AWS is always going to be the biggest competitor. Because if you can do it natively, why are you going to pay for another tool? So, companies have to have an add value over AWS by maybe building a better dashboard that way multiple users can login and obtain an analysis of their backups.

We did look around the market, but couldn't find any mature cloud media type products.

What other advice do I have?

See if you can do AWS natively if you're just starting out. Check out AWS first, then check out CPM. See what you can do it cheaply on the marketplace and what works for you.

We have only used the AWS version.

Download our free Disaster Recovery (DR) Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about N2WS, Veeam Software, Druva, and more!
Updated: July 2022