We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

MongoDB OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

MongoDB is #1 ranked solution in top NoSQL Databases. PeerSpot users give MongoDB an average rating of 8 out of 10. MongoDB is most commonly compared to InfluxDB: MongoDB vs InfluxDB. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 25% of all views.
What is MongoDB?
Open source database alternative to relational databases. It simplifies development and is extremely scalable.
MongoDB Buyer's Guide

Download the MongoDB Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

MongoDB Customers
Facebook, MetLife, City of Chicago, Expedia, eBay, Google
MongoDB Video

Archived MongoDB Reviews (more than two years old)

Team Leader at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Good performance and community, but there were some issues with putting up the server
  • "The community is great if you have problem."
  • "You need integration with other tools to run the query in MongoDB."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for big projects. We have multiple DBs on multiple servers, so we have a good performance for it. Sometimes, we are using cloud systems, like Azure, or VMs.

We are using MongoDB like a warehouse for data that has no relation nor a need to scale.

What is most valuable?

• The document space is the main feature of it.
  • It has good performance.
  • The community is great if you have problem.

What needs improvement?

You need integration with other tools to run the query in MongoDB.

I have been using this solution for two to three years. I have worked with it on multiple projects.

I did have some issues with putting up the server.

I have not used the technical support. If I get stuck, I search for the answers and will luckily find them.

I recommend the solution for my current company. They have used MongoDB for two projects now. We chose MongoDB because of its community.

The initial setup was easy, not complex.

We used consultants for the deployment. The initial deployment took 20 minutes to half an hour. It didn't take long, as it is very simple.

When you compare MongoDB to other DBs like the SQLOne, they are all the same system, in terms of performance.

I did a benchmark between SQLBase and MongoDB. The performance and some queries in SQLBase are much better.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the rate the solution as a seven (out of 10).

Sushil Dwivedi
Team Lead at RBS Securities
Good security, highly-available when installed in a cluster, and no schema is needed to store data
  • "We can define security rules at the database level or the cluster level to grant or deny access to particular users."
  • "Data encryption is possible using third-party tools but they should have their own encryption capability built-in to this solution."

What is our primary use case?

I have done a variety of things with MongoDB that started with the adoption of this solution at one company. I was involved in setting up the cluster and then the monitoring, alerting, and backup process. Once all of the set up was complete, I was involved in writing some of the components that were responsible for fetching data from MongoDB.

We are now responsible for running the platform, so whoever wants to run MongoDB comes to us and we explain how we can deploy the cluster for their applications. At this point, we build a cluster in the servers under a UNIX account. The number of nodes in the cluster depends on the requirements of the application side.

Some of the use cases we have configured MongoDB for are desk-tooling and a payment card profiling project. We are currently working on a data exchange platform. We also have a couple of use cases in the pipeline for potential MongoDB clients who also need the MongoDB Ops Manager.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that we don't need a schema to store the data.

The security is very good. Cybersecurity, authentication, authorization, and server certifications are all valuable features. We can define security rules at the database level or the cluster level to grant or deny access to particular users.

This is a highly available architecture. If you are using a three-node cluster and one of these goes down then either of the secondary nodes will become a priority to eliminate downtime from the application's perspective.

What needs improvement?

The documentation for MongoDB is not very good and should be improved. Some of the documents are referring to legacy versions. MongoDB 4.2 has been released, but there are training documents and other documentation that still refers to versions 3.6 and 3.4, which is not good. They should definitely update the documentation as new software is released.

Information about upcoming and recently released features should be made available so that we are aware of the latest features, and how we can manage the issues that will accompany them.

I have been working with MongoDB for the last three years.

We have not had any issues with stability.

We have a support portal where we can log tickets and fix issues. We contact them directly and we can set up a call whenever we need help from them.

For some issues, I would rate technical support a nine out of ten, or a ten out of ten. However, at other times, I would rate them a seven out of ten. It depends on who is dealing with the ticket. There are times where they respond to tickets very quickly and things get resolved in a timely manner. At other times, it takes ages to resolve the problem.

We did not use a different NoSQL solution prior to MongoDB.

We continue to use Microsoft SQL Server for other types of database implementations that require SQL, which I also have expertise in.

The initial setup is not very complex. We used the MongoDB resources to understand how to set it up on a Linux server, and after that, we prepared our own document that explains how to install it. Now it is quite straightforward, although if you are going with a more granular level of configuration, such as enabling other parameters on the cluster, then it would be different. I would say that set up would be a little more difficult, but not much. It's very simple using the MongoDB Ops Manager.

We offer three types of services on the MongoDB platform. First is the ODS service, second is the MongoDB SQL, and third is MongoDB standalone. For standalone, we are providing services on the tenant. With respect to shared services, we have the infrastructure but we have to set up their database on the shared servers. This will be useful for some use cases. The standalone configuration takes approximately 15 to 20 days to set up. It is sometimes less but it takes the time to create and configure the UNIX account because we have a third-party dependency for that.

The ODS solution will be better for enterprise data such as those involving payments, accounts, and customers.

What other advice do I have?

MongoDB is a solution that I can recommend because we have realized good benefits from it. We are in the process of setting up the ODS project, which should help the organization from a cost perspective. Then we will be moving the mainframe data to ODS, and we can use the MongoDB API to fetch data from there and provide real-time solutions to the customer.

At this time, I cannot judge the benefit of MongoDB in isolation, but as time goes on, perhaps by the end of the year, I will have a better idea.

Learn what your peers think about MongoDB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
566,121 professionals have used our research since 2012.
LourensWalters
Senior Program Manager and Data Scientist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Allows a lot more scalability and is completely open-source

What is our primary use case?

We used MongoDB to implement a healthcare application into the Amazon Cloud. We deployed that architecture within the South African public health care sector.

What is most valuable?

One feature that we found most valuable is that it is completely open source - this was majorly important. Because we worked for a nongovernmental organization we had to work with only open source tools. So that was a big selling point for MongoDB. We also needed a document-based DB to build this FHIR application on top of, MongoDB offers.

Another major selling point was that they're massively scalable. The fact that unlike relational databases, MongoDB allows a lot more scalability and it was more suited for the type of data that we were storing, which was semi-structured healthcare data. It provided very nicely for the standards that we were working - FHIR - which could be interfaced with JSON and Mongo. It had very good JSON capability and storage. Overall, it was a combination of what we were trying to store and the scalability in terms of being able to store a lot of this information over time.

What needs improvement?

We were quite happy with the product and the actual use of it. We had no particular problem.

In the future, if they could look into supporting FHIR better. FHIR is a healthcare standard. I don't know what that would mean, but, we had to implement a layer on top of it that implements FHIR. But if MongoDB can look into implementing that would be useful.

The two things that were very important for us were basically performance and compatibility.

I have been using this product for about a year.

It is very stable.

We had issues. It wasn't operationalized yet, but our feeling was that it was easy to set up and easy to operate and very stable. So I would say our compatibility and performance are the two things that came up that I know in the project we had problems with. The rest wasn't at any point an issue.

It's massively scalable. It is very scalable in terms of being able to store a lot of this information over time.

In terms of how many users are using this solution, it was a large database with many objects being pumped into it. But, for our purposes, it was just not necessarily the number of users, but the amount of automation being integrated

It was used by the Provincial department of health, or country. So it was basically the nine provinces in South Africa. And each of them had it. It was all the HIV and TB data for all the departments of health in South Africa. It was big.

I can't recall any issues that our technical team ever had. My feeling was that they were satisfied.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It was a pleasure to work with, for everyone. So setting it up, getting up and running, pumping data into it, and actually looking and querying the data was super simple. We were up and running within an hour. We could literally install and start ingesting information into it from the word go. It was very simple to set up and to have tools to actually query and pump objects into it.

We implemented ourselves.

I would definitely recommend MongoDB. I'm hoping MongoDB will continue to be developed from strength to strength because I think it's an awesome tool. I hope that other products, like DocumentDB, will find a way to work with MongoDB to improve the overall stability of the product. It would be good if other services that host Mongo would become more readily available. It was very useful to actually have a hosted MongoDB set up that is maintained by Mongo Atlas.

I would rate it 9 out of 10 because we had very little issues and it did exactly what we wanted it to do.

What other advice do I have?

MongoDB Atlas was the deployment mechanism we went with and that was hugely helpful for us. MongoDB Atlas is part of the MongoDB suite, I think. It's just a deployment of the Mongo. We also deployed it on Amazon using DocumentDB, but we found that MongoDB Atlas worked better in the end.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
it_user1129392
Solutions Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Enables you to alter tables and to enable streaming
  • "It's easy to add and remove things in MongoDB. You can alter the tables. MongoDB is faster at reading, slower at writings."
  • "The transaction could use improvement. From MySQL, for example, you cannot create a transaction if you are reading and writing a document at the same time."

What is our primary use case?

We use MongoDB to enable streaming. We have a structured DB where everything is secure. We have everything in folders and structured data. MongoDB is much more better in terms of their response time.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The transaction could use improvement. From MySQL, for example, you cannot create a transaction if you are reading and writing a document at the same time.

Relations in MongoDB is another issue. Trying to make a relation such as a connection or using the OIE can be very slow. It's not a fault, though, because it's not a positional database, so it isn't supposed to use it for relation.

Very secure structured database

It's stable. You can create sets which could be three servers, some reading and some writing, for example. This way if some servers go down the others are still up.

This solution is scalable.

There's no technical support in the server source.

MongoDB is more secure than similar databases. You can pass documents from there. You can add large data in the same record. It works with PostgreSQL and the like, and it is a structural database.

It was pretty easy to set up if you are using Linux servers. It only took a few minutes to deploy, since you don't have to create anything.

It only takes one person for maintenance and deployment.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is not to use Relationships in MongoDB. MongoDB is not a relational database, so don't try to use Relationships in MongoDB.

I would rate MongoDB as eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Google
Felix Esteban
Head of Development and Consulting at Logalty
Easy to use, very stable and I am impressed by the speed
  • "We haven't had any issues with stability."
  • "We find it difficult to incorporate MongoDB in some projects."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to directly monitor public services.

How has it helped my organization?

I like that this solution helps us to manage our allowed time on the release date or entry, but if you have a conventional application where you have to make a lot of queries with the joints, you have to mix the information of several tables. You cannot go to a non-relational database, you have to go to an Oracle or MariaDB or whatever. But if you have other queries like smaller tables with a lot of resistance, MongoDB will be okay.

What is most valuable?

MongoDB is very valuable for us due to the large amount of entries that we can install in the database. The solution makes it very easy for us to develop with these databases. It is also easy for development and to list all our entries in a single table.

What needs improvement?

We find it difficult to incorporate MongoDB in some projects. It's also very complicated to join different tables. For example, MongoDB works very well with the note GS Java Script. But when you try to develop in Java, it is not so easy. So the integration is not very simple.

My colleagues, however, reported that it's easy to manage the database. I also know that it is very easy to make an application in Java scripts.

I have been using the solution for two years now.

We haven't had any issues with stability since we started using this solution two years ago.

We're not currently using the alert implementation of MongoDB, but it's enough for us and we can escalate to put in more machines if we like. We are not using that many implementations.

We don't use the technical support because we have our own technical team that can help us.

We use MariaDB as the main product of the company, but we find it difficult to fine-tune the database and to increase our services. We also have problems with queries. So we implemented MongoDB with MariaDB because MariaDB doesn't have the same capabilities and now we can do some fine-tuning of the database.

The initial setup was very easy and we did everything ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be not to use MongoDB for complex business applications or difficult queries. There are some integration issues that need to improve, so I will rate this solution an eight out of ten. Still, it is a very good product that is user-friendly and it works fast.

Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Scales well and is easy to replicate but needs more stable indexes
  • "Scalability seems good. I've never been even close to finding the limits. I've run a couple of notes of redundancy but I've never had any problems with scalability."
  • "More stable indexes would be helpful in a future release. That's been an issue for some time. I don't know if it's been fixed now but we transitioned to it because we needed a search index to be able to search for things and if that goes or starts disappearing, we have to move away from that solution. I don't know if they fixed it, last time I had this issue was three years ago so they might have solved it."

What is our primary use case?

I use it mainly for development. It's a plain document database that maps adjacent data structures. It doesn't cost us that much to integrate. It scales well and it's easy to replicate. It's very easy to set up and it's very easily monitored.

What needs improvement?

The solution is known for not requiring people to set a root password when you set it up, so it has leaked data, like a feed, and it's the first thing I need to teach everyone that sets the system up. There was a story out of China where there were 100 known users that were being monitored by the government and there was a MongoDB cluster. They forgot to set a root password so it was publicly available and that kinda happens over and over again so people need to at least supply some basic securities.

Training would be very good, at least to get some basic production level set up. People need to figure it out because just setting one up is easy, but then you need to get a replica going and that's hard and then getting performers ready and that's even tougher and somewhere along the way people tend to forget about security. Every month some major company forgets to set the password.

More stable indexes would be helpful in a future release. That's been an issue for some time. I don't know if it's been fixed now but we transitioned to it because we needed a search index to be able to search for things and if that goes or starts disappearing, we have to move away from that solution. I don't know if they fixed it, last time I had this issue was three years ago so they might have solved it.

I've been using the solution for about four years.

The solution is completely stable.

Scalability seems good. I've never been even close to finding the limits. I've run a couple of notes of redundancy but I've never had any problems with scalability.

I have never been in contact with the people who developed MongoDB. I've never bought any support from them or had any issues. When we've run into something like scalability or other issues, we've always managed to figure it out on our own. The community's also fairly strong so technical support isn't something we've needed.

I use Kubernetes. These are management tools where you can select which items you'd like to install first and you basically just provide what kind of features you want to be activated and how many nodes you want to be activated in the database. I would install it as part of a Kubernetes cluster and it's pretty straightforward because the chart, as its called, is managed by and used by thousands of people so I don't need to know exactly how to set up every single bit of it.

It's also all very automated, which makes it easy. In fact, I use it a lot in teaching as well because it's very easy to set up.

My first foray into MongoDB was actually when I started using a Google data store which is very similar. We ran into problems because we didn't have any search or solutions for it. We switched over to MongoDB because that had the basic search engines we needed so we can actually get some basic search going and be able to scale out.

We didn't do a technology selection. We just had other technologies that didn't pan out so we gradually moved into MongoDB.

What other advice do I have?

The solution scales very well and is very easy to replicate.

If you need something done quickly and you need something that does scale fairly well I would suggest MongoDB. You can always transition away from it later on. It's always a solid first bet if you want a simpler kind of web page or web system. It's a very solid choice if you want to get up and running quickly. It's my go-to for all these little startups that I manage.

MongoDB seems to give just exactly what we need and I find most of my clients have never transitioned away from MongoDB.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

Ravi Kumar Gupta
Technical Architect at Azilen Technologies Pvt Ltd
Leaderboard
Easier to maintain the data with its document-based storage
  • "Easier to maintain the data with its document-based storage."
  • "The installation is very stable."
  • "The improvements could be made to intelligence to detect disk storage and prevent MongoDB from crashing."

What is our primary use case?

One of the key component of our system uses MongoDB as its data store. We use it for storing data sent by devices. It is an IoT platform.

How has it helped my organization?

We capture more than 30 million records every week in IoT NS.

MongoDB has been serving us well so far. It is easier to maintain the data with its document-based storage.

What is most valuable?

• Its capability to do quick, powerful aggregations has caught my attention.
  • The search queries are pretty fast and mean time to get response is around 50-100/ms.
  • The installation is very stable.

What needs improvement?

Its indexing capabilities could be further improved. The libraries, e.g., Mongoose could still be improved to handle MongoDB. The improvements could be made to intelligence to detect disk storage and prevent MongoDB from crashing.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

The setup is pretty straightforward. Just install, create a user, and start using it.

I felt it was quicker to use MongoDB compared to MySQL.

We implemented it in-house.

We did compare Cassandra against MongoDB, but we faced a few problems while data was restoring with Cassandra and chose MongoDB to avoid such issues.

Database Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's reliable but the heavy architecture limits the scalability options.

What is most valuable?

Reliability Enterprise integration Documentation Certification Support

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to have an alternative solution to licensed DB's.

What needs improvement?

It requires enterprise integration improvements from the security, and audit perspective (AD integration etc.). Also, existing integration into BI tools is not present.

I've used it for five years.

MongoDB has a "heavy" architecture, which limits the scalability options.

They provide a high level of technical support.

We switched due to a common OS…

What is most valuable?

• Reliability
  • Enterprise integration
  • Documentation
  • Certification
  • Support

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to have an alternative solution to licensed DB's.

What needs improvement?

I've used it for five years.

MongoDB has a "heavy" architecture, which limits the scalability options.

They provide a high level of technical support.

We switched due to a common OS integration strategy.

We had an RFP process to evaluate between similar product categories.

Product Categories
NoSQL Databases
Download our free MongoDB Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.