IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Microsoft System Center OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft System Center is #16 ranked solution in top Application Infrastructure tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft System Center an average rating of 6 out of 10. Microsoft System Center is most commonly compared to Oracle SOA Suite: Microsoft System Center vs Oracle SOA Suite. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 44% of all views.
What is Microsoft System Center?
System Center helps customers realize the benefits of the Microsoft Cloud Platform by delivering unified management. Experience fast time-to-value with out-of-the-box monitoring, provisioning, configuration, automation, protection and self-service.

Microsoft System Center was previously known as MS System Center.

Download the Application Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2022

Microsoft System Center Customers
Kassen_rztliche Vereinigung Nordrhein, Magyar Telekom Nyrt., Adeka, QualCare, Aeriandi, UniCredit Bank d.d., Mostar, Allianz Australia Ltd., Grupo Familia
Microsoft System Center Video

Archived Microsoft System Center Reviews (more than two years old)

Ovidiu Popescu - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Security Officer at AXSYS
Mature solution with good deployment and asset management features

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution internally. We use it to manage all of the devices across the organization.

How has it helped my organization?

The deployment and asset management features are the most valuable. These are the product's main features.

It has other features like remote sharing but we don't use those features.

It's a mature product.

I have been using Microsoft for four years.

It's stable. We have some bugs but it's stable. It doesn't break every day. It works. Like other applications, it has a lot of bugs but they're manageable.

It is scalable. Scalability doesn't need any improvement. I can't have an entire view of this product because it's a very complex product and we use it now for basic stuff.

I have contacted Microsoft support. They were good.

The initial setup was complex. A regular IT person cannot handle the installation. You should have a senior-level employee handle the deployment.

It took a few days to configure and deploy.

My own team deployed it.

What other advice do I have?

Take a minute to learn more about the tool. It's powerful. Do a bit of training.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Dimitris Zografos - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Security & Infrastructure Manager and Technical Support at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable for overseeing operations systems; could be more user friendly
  • "Good for managing and administering the infrastructure."
  • "Could be more user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is to easily see the resources of our infrastructure and we use System Center for that. It allows us to simply review a situation and get a report about the operations systems for all users and know whether they need an upgrade or anything else. It allows us to manage and administer the infrastructure.

We're a government organization and I am the infrastructure and technical support manager. We have an enterprise agreement with Microsoft, and we're also a customer.

What needs improvement?

In our case, the solution would be improved if they migrated to a cloud version. There could also be some improvement in the environment, it should be more user friendly.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

I've contacted technical support a few times because I work with engineers, but we don't contact them for the simple issues. The problem is that when we do contact them they don't have a ready solution. Several times they've needed to update or patch things to make the solution work. We had an issue where users were unable to send or receive emails to their phones or mobile devices. It took a long time to solve that problem. They are willing to help, but there is too much delay. Problems need to be solved the same day, or the next day and it doesn't happen that way.

I believe that these days initial setup is relatively straightforward although it does require specialized IT engineers. If the environment was more flexible, more user friendly, it would be simple.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure I would use this product if I were building a new infrastructure now. I would be more likely to use VMware, Vsign, and Visualize. The tools of VMware cover everything. They are more advanced and have more tools and you can use it for everything in the infrastructure.

If you're using only Microsoft products then this is a good solution because you're working in a unified environment. The whole infrastructure functions better and you can monitor without problems. It makes life easier for the technicians and engineers in the company.

I would rate this product a seven out of 10.

Application Infrastructure
April 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Oracle, Red Hat and others in Application Infrastructure. Updated: April 2022.
595,546 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mid Platform Architect at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Very efficient, easy to implement, mature and stable
  • "Step-by-step documentation that clarifies the implementation procedure."
  • "Implementation and integration in the case of multi-tenant environments needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is responsibility for the implementation and support of this product. I am always involved in the architecture and the design operations. We have several thousand users. I am the Chief Operating Officer and we are partners with Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

I like the operation perspective that enables our team to carry out actions quickly. For example, the OS deployment, upgrades and remote control.

What needs improvement?

We recently carried out a complex implementation and I was part of the official design team for that project. The most difficult area we faced was the requirement of having one central system center that deployed in one domain, capable of managing and controlling the end user devices. We were using authentication based on certificates and it was difficult to do the work based on certificates from different domains. I would like to see a simplification of the implementation and integration in the case of multi-tenant environments.

I've been using this solution for over 10 years.

We've been using Microsoft products for many years and they are mature and very stable.

When we need Microsoft support, it's the customer that needs to log the case, then we handle the case with the support team from Microsoft.

Initial setup is very straightforward. Microsoft has excellent documentation, step-by-step documentation that clarifies the implementation procedure. The difficulty in our case was that it was not a traditional implementation for System Center. It was an implementation based on the new architecture, which is not mature enough yet to support multi-tenant environments.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

Tahir Momoniat - PeerSpot reviewer
ESM Product Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Has good availability, performance matrix and reporting capabilities with the ability to scale effectively
  • "The availability performance matrix and the reporting capabilities are the solution's most valuable features."
  • "The solution's dashboard needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for performance monitoring in the retail environment and our large Wintel estate. The solution provides real-time monitoring of the estate 24x7x365.

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided the ability to identify issues before they occur and also an active monitoring system to understand what our environment looks like at any given time.

What is most valuable?

The availability monitoring, performance matrix, and the historical reporting capabilities are the solution's most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The solution's dashboard needs improvement.

Management and corrective action capabilities are needed as part of the solution.

The solution would benefit from having a mobile app.

Improvement of the application layer monitoring as part of the default solution due to methods of applications integrations.

I've been using the solution for many years; basically since its inception.

The stability and overall performance of the solution are mainly dependent on the correct hardware specification, design, and implementation as is the case with most other ESM type solutions.

The solution is easily scalable, however, its not just the amount of hardware that needs to be taken into consideration. The throughput of the environment is also impacted depending on the number of nodes being monitored and the frequency thereof.

The solution's technical support is okay, but in my opinion, it needs to be more engaging.

I have almost 18 years of monitoring and Systems Management experience, so I have used a variety of products. For the Wintel estate currently SCOM is the best fit for the interim in terms of cost, feature, and function.

The initial setup was complex. We run a large footprint in excess of 9,000 nodes, so it was complex to understand exactly what the network impact, throughput on the environment and the database sizing.

We had a 3rd party Microsoft Business partner assist with the implementation and operations.

Evaluate tools for the best fit for your environment. In terms of setup cost and pricing of SCOM, evaluate and spec your infrastructure environment sufficiently to ensure the environment will handle the load from the number of endpoints being monitored.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

In terms of advice I would give to other users, I'd say before implementing the solution, you have to plan for your environment appropriately, and seek advice from product experts at Microsoft or their business partners.

I would rate the solution 8.5 out of ten.

Vladimír Richter - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager - Czech Republic and Slovakia at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to configure and provides Better visibility of our environment
  • "The features that I have found most valuable are the ease of configuration and the easy discovery of the environment."
  • "They should have some customized solutions or internal development, then maybe it could be easier to use different solutions or some self-developed solution."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is the monitoring of basic functionalities of servers, applications, and data applications.

Also for our internal environment, we are using only the Operations Manager and not the configurations manager.

The deployment model we are using was on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped us to have better visibility of what we have in our environment, the stages of access. It allows me to see everything I need to better communicate with the business easily, concerning the situations of our services.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are the ease of configuration and the easy discovery of the environment.

What needs improvement?

As we are not using the latest version, it is difficult for me to say what needs to be improved, because it may have already been improved in the latest versions.

Also, we are only using 30% of the capabilities of this solution. We are limited on our side rather than the tool side. There are many features available that we have not yet explored.

This is a solution that supports many add ons, so we can run Unix, for example. I can explore it like a database but it's inconvenient.

We have, on occasion, experienced some crashes that have caused the application to break down. It could be an issue on our side, but we have not had the time to explore it.

The only other thing is a better web interface. The current one is not good enough, in our version it's an installed application.

I have been using this solution for nine years.

This solution is stable.

We are an external company service desk with seven to a desk and approximately sixty technicians. For internal use, we have six people. They are made up of six technicians or the IT administrators of databases, book sellers, some service managers and the setup of publications.

We are not a large company but it's fine and it works properly.

I can imagine that we can scale this solution for a larger environment but that is not the case for us at this time.

It works on a virtual machine and I can configure the set-up of the two machines running to increase the number of services which we are monitoring.

At the beginning of implementation during the first year, we contacted support.

We were using an open-source solution, but I can't remember the name.

The initial set up was simple. It's based on Microsoft technology, so we didn't have any issues.

It took two months for the installation and configuration of monitoring.

We had two people for the deployment, one from our site and one external partner, but they were not full-time.

The implementation was done through an external partner. It was easy because we are marketing our business solution for approximately fifty sellers.

We researched monitoring solutions a year ago and found that this solution was easier to implement with our internal solution based on open-source technologies like Elastic.

Because the tools are from Microsoft and we have in-house development and technology, what we were using was not easy to integrate with the Microsoft monitoring tool.

It is easier for us to integrate with Elastic than it is with Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

We don't need to monitor the application level instead of the infrastructure, which is a standard feature fo Microsoft System Center, but it is not enough for us. Usually, the infrastructure is stabilized, but we have many issues in our applications which is not standard and usually, it's an out of the box application and we must monitor these features.

Before we were using Azure, and we were contacting Microsoft support monthly, depending on when we were implementing a new solution or if when we were having issues with the firewall.

It all depends on the purpose of using this solution and what you are monitoring, that is the main point of the decision tree. If you have a standard solution or books safe, the secure book, a secure or standard package, then Microsoft would be the right solution for that.

The most important is the configuration, the first implementation, and to find the right location, how to implement and find their interaction or relations between monitored environment and assets. It is not always easy to find the relationships between the items and how they can impact the whole solution.

We are customers and I am a happy user of this solution and I have not had any significant issues with this solution. It works well for me and our companies.

I would recommend this solution.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

CarlosDe La Rosa - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Solutions Architect at Grupo Novandi
Administrators can use almost all its features out-of-the-box
  • "System Center helps to create the basis for ITIL alignment."
  • "Many processes could be implemented out-of-the-box, and this helped to adopt processes in areas which we lacked."
  • "The platform performance and responsiveness need improvement. It still demands high computing resources."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the following purposes:

• Infrastructure management and inventory collection (hardware and software).
  • Infrastructure monitoring integrating Windows Server, as well as other platforms.
  • Ticketing for our help desk.

How has it helped my organization?

• The IT environment aligned to SLAs.
  • System Center helps to create the basis for ITIL alignment.
  • Many processes could be implemented out-of-the-box, and this helped to adopt processes in areas which we lacked.

What is most valuable?

• Platform integration
  • Native tools for a Windows environment
  • Low learning curve
  • Administrators can use almost all its features out-of-the-box.

What needs improvement?

The following need to be improved:

• GUI
  • Responsiveness
  • Mobile environments
  • Platform performance.

It still demands high computing resources.

We maximized our license investment.

Docente de Certificaciones Microsoft at a non-tech company with 51-200 employees
Management Packs help implement best practices, but needs more flexible reporting
  • "Managment Packs for Microsoft-specific products, help us implement the best practices for each product."
  • "The detail in the alarms is great."
  • "Less server consumption would help, as would better, more flexible reports."

What is most valuable?

Management Packs for Microsoft-specific products, which help us implement the best practices for each product.

The detail in the alarms is great.

What needs improvement?

Less server consumption would help, as would better, more flexible reports.

The stability is okay.

No problem with scalability.

I have never needed technical support for this product.

We used WhatsUp Gold, but System Center came with our Microsoft license.

It's is complex because there are a lot of divisions, and the management of the rules applied to the server are complex.

We didn't evaluate others before going with this, but we are actually analyzing Operations Management Suite, a powerful integration with SCOM 2012 R2.

What other advice do I have?

Don't install all the Management Packs at the same time; this is key.

Microsoft System Engineer at Summit Technology Solution
We've implemented some of its family of features, such as SCCM, SCOM, SCVMM, and DPM, which have been valuable to us. But, the DPM function could be improved compared to its backup competitors.

One Really powerfull product is System Center.

With my team we implemented the System Center family such as SCCM, SCOM, SCVMM, and DPM.

• System Center is a full product that can work together and do a lot of cool things such as monitoring ٍservers and even non-Microsoft products such as routers, switches and Linux machines using System Center Operation Manager. You can use SCOM to send emails or view very detailed alerts or even take an action (although this will need some configuration with System Center Orchestrator). You can do many things with SCOM and be aware of every component in your infrastructure environment. I consider SCOM the second powerful server in the system center family.
  • With System Center Configuration manager you can Manage PCS and servers, keep their software updated, set configuration, set security polices, and monitor system status. In my mind, I see the this as the best product in System Center.
  • System Center VMM is a management server for your Hyper-V servers thats allows you to configure and manage all of them and your storage resources. To create and deploy VMs and services, you only need System Center VMM without needing to go to each Hyper-V server and create your virtual machine, etc. You can also create a VM template so that when creating a new VM, you don't need to configure everything from the beginning. It's a really stable server that makes managing Hyper-V servers easy.
  • DPM is used for backing up your servers. In my opinion, DPM needs a lot of improvements to its limitations. There are a lot of stronger DPMs, such as Veeam, Symantec Bakcups, and more. But to be fair, having DPM is better than not having a backup solution compared to the expense you will spend on other products.

This is not all of System Center's products, but I mentioned what I have used and know. I hope that this information is useful for you. Thanks.

it_user6648 - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
System Center 2012 SP1 is one hell of an infrastructure management suite

Valuable Features:

2012 product is the whole suite with one SKU Automation is the heart of SC2012 Third party, management packs integration Control other hypervisors (VMware and Citrix) API integration

Room for Improvement:

Installation is cumbersome and not much documentation available for best practices for installation. While some components require less prerequisites others are very extensive. Third-party hypervisors difficult to configure

Other Advice:

System Center 2012 SP1 is one hell of infrastructure management suite. With careful planning and installation of key components, you can take control of your entire environment.
it_user5868 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Manager of System Security at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Integrates great with other Microsoft products, but for non-MS products it's a challenge

Valuable Features:

Integrates great with other Microsoft Products.

Room for Improvement:

Have had challenges to integrate with Non-Microsoft Products.
Product Categories
Application Infrastructure
Download our free Application Infrastructure Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Oracle, Red Hat, and more!
Quick Links