We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Microsoft Azure Data Box OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure Data Box is #3 ranked solution in top Data Migration Appliances. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Azure Data Box an average rating of 8 out of 10. Microsoft Azure Data Box is most commonly compared to AWS Snowball: Microsoft Azure Data Box vs AWS Snowball. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is Microsoft Azure Data Box?

The Azure Data Box service lets you transfer terabytes of data into Azure in a quick, inexpensive, and reliable manner. Microsoft accelerates the secure data transfer by shipping you disks and handling the end-to-end logistics.

Transfer large amounts of data to Azure in 4 easy steps – order, receive, copy data to disks, and return disks to Azure. After the disks are received, data is ingested into Azure and disks are securely wiped.

Microsoft Azure Data Box was previously known as Azure Data Box, MS Azure Data Box.

Microsoft Azure Data Box Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure Data Box Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Microsoft Azure Data Box Customers

Oceaneering

Microsoft Azure Data Box Video

Microsoft Azure Data Box Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Azure Data Box pricing:
"This is a pay-as-you-go solution, where you pay for the amount of storage space that you are using."

Microsoft Azure Data Box Reviews

Sr. Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard
Solution has a wide range of use cases; very intuitive
  • "Microsoft Azure Data Box has much more usability than other tools like it. It is very intuitive."
  • "For me it doesn't work well. ... If you are a non-Microsoft shop, to use Microsoft Azure Data Box, you would need to integrate it with your other vendors, and whether or not that will be possible will depend on the platform or platforms that host them."

What is our primary use case?

There are a variety of use cases for Microsoft Azure Data Box. If you are a Microsoft shop, you do not want to work with glue, so that is why you would go with Microsoft Azure Data Box. If you are in a non-Microsoft environment, you don't want to work with a Microsoft product. But, it does provide a solution that integrates non-Microsoft products, both in AWS and Azure. At the end of the day, you do not want to pay for extra data storage. You do not want to pay both for AWS and Azure because you are going to need to replicate data across two cloud bases. It is all cost-based.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft tools are always better than those of other vendors. That is a fact. Microsoft Azure Data Box has much more usability than other tools like it. It is very intuitive. In AWS, everything is very techy, but they're very stable. At the end of the day, you have to pick your poison.

What needs improvement?

For me it doesn't work well, so I work in Microsoft and non-Microsoft shops. If you're a Microsoft shop, I would – undoubtedly, blindfolded – say go with Microsoft Azure Data Box. But, if you are a non-Microsoft shop, to use Microsoft Azure Data Box, you would need to integrate it with your other vendors, and whether or not that will be possible will depend on the platform or platforms that host them. If a specific vendor is hosted on AWS and you are on Azure, you have to pay for the data and there is no way around that.

I have been using Microsoft Azure Data Box for four years.

The solution is scalable. I have not witnessed any problems with scalability.

Sometimes I love the tech support and sometimes I hate them. This is the case with both AWS and Microsoft. From the perspective of an IT person, a lot can go wrong. There can be a problem with the solution you write, a piece of code not running well on their platform, or the platform not adapting to your solution. There is always that discussion and compromise.

Everything is a little bit difficult in the beginning. But, once you get used to it and how it works, it is just like any other solution. Once you get it going, there is no difference.

The return on investment you get from Microsoft Azure Data Box is subjective. Service providers and end users will have different ROIs.

It all depends on the business and the use case in terms of how the organization is using the resources put towards the data. If you put enough resources into Microsoft Azure Data Box and evaluate your product on a continual basis, you can optimize it. If you take it at face value and start implementing it, you will not have a return on investment. However, if you go full support with all the services, then you can have a good investment.

One note: If you use Microsoft Azure Data Box both on premise and the cloud, you will have twice the cost. You will have no return on investment there.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to deploy Microsoft Azure Data Box only if it makes sense to do so with the project. What are you looking for in the solution? Which product are you moving to the cloud? Who is the customer base? You have to take all of these factors into consideration before going one way or another.

Premasish Dan
Enterprise Data Architect at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Saves us time and money when migrating large volumes of data to Azure
  • "The Azure Data Box saves us a great deal of time when migrating data to Azure."
  • "I am not confident in this device's ability to perform a network backup in our data center."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider I have worked on two different projects with the Azure Data Box. It was used to back up all of the data from different teams for the purpose of DLP. We backed up more than 400 terabytes in total.

How has it helped my organization?

The Azure Data Box saves us a great deal of time when migrating data to Azure. Not only does it save time but you have to think of the cost savings, in terms of time, as well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to copy very large amounts of data and quickly have it uploaded to Azure. It is secure and there is no question about the loss of data.

It is very easy to plug in and to get the process started.

What needs improvement?

The stability is very good.

This solution is absolutely scalable because based on volume, we can scale it down.

What other advice do I have?

Azure Data Box is something I would recommend for anyone who needs to migrate a large amount of data, for example from a data warehouse to the cloud.