Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Micro Focus Vibe OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Micro Focus Vibe?

An app that pulls information about your email contacts' interests, experience, etc. from their social media accounts.

Micro Focus Vibe was previously known as Novell Vibe.

Micro Focus Vibe Customers

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitat Munchen

Micro Focus Vibe Video

Archived Micro Focus Vibe Reviews (more than two years old)

CeciliaPretorius - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Specialist in Laboratory at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
The speed of opening files and folders is too slow and can be very frustrating
  • "It's relatively easy to create folders or workspaces."
  • "The speed of opening files is too slow and should be increased."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use this solution for document management and record keeping.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about this solution, is the fact that I can access it anywhere and customize it to my needs. We still have a few teething problems but we are currently using it extensively in our lab. I would still like to use the workflows - I haven't instrumented workflows yet, but I think it can make the solution work even better for me. But the feature I find most valuable, is the accessibility from anywhere.

What needs improvement?

One thing that really needs to improve, is opening files or folders. It takes much longer than when you are getting it to Windows Explorer on the desktop. So if you have a lot of work to do, it can become quite problematic moving around between folders and opening files. So the speed of opening files should be increased. I've worked on different computers with different Wi-Fi and fiber optics systems as well as ADSL, but the speed stays a problem, so it's not just my computer, it's a cloud system thing. A Micro Focus Vibe problem.

I have been using the solution on and off for about a year, but extensively from January this year. We use it on private cloud.

The solution is very stable.

I don't have much experience, but I believe the program is scalable.

We have our own people and if they can't help us, we are automatically connected to the technical team from Vibe. But so far we've managed with everything. It's really just the speed of opening files and folders that we struggle with. The technical team says they can't do anything about it. It's basically a product issue.

It's relatively easy to create folders or workspaces. It's just cumbersome because the files and folders take a while to open. So that's the only issue I have. The rest of the solution is relatively user friendly.

The deployment is relatively fast. From creating a brand new workspace to actually using it can be done within a day, depending on how complex it is. I know within our organization they are basically forcing us now to move away from our servers to Vibe. That started in July and there has been a significant change over to Vibe. So it's still new but for a big organization like ours, it's actually impressive how quickly people moved over to Vibe.

We did the installation and deployment ourselves and, as an end user, it's been relatively user friendly. It doesn't take long to get familiar with the program, and if you know how it works, it becomes relatively easy to set up a workspace and save documents and edit it.

What other advice do I have?

If I have to rate this solution out of ten, I will give it a three. I think the biggest downside for me is really just the speed of execution. If that can be improved and then it would be a breeze.

it_user693243 - PeerSpot reviewer
Infrastructure Architect at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

It provides synchronization to the desktop. It also provides mobile access and control.

How has it helped my organization?

One remote location does project management via Excel. The local desktop changes synchronize with the server and are available to the project manager on his mobile.

What needs improvement?

The user interface can be changed to 'look' more like a Microsoft one since this will help market the product more.

The users only know Microsoft. If someone does not know the other choices, there is nothing to choose from. If it looks like Microsoft, it may sell better. Additionally, I do have to credit Microsoft for the user interface.

I have used this solution for more than five years.

There were no stability issues; it just works.

There were no scalability issues. If properly designed, i.e., a tiered approach is good for larger environments, it is easy to scale with growth.

Technical support is good; on a few occasions, we ended up interacting with some developers!

Previously, we explored SharePoint.

Out-of-the-box, the setup is all inclusive; neither of the standard or enterprise versions has feature differences.

It is a user-based license. Users outside of the organization do not need a license.

We evaluated SharePoint prior to making a decision.

What other advice do I have?

The design and architecture of the solution leads itself to scalability.

it_user693249 - PeerSpot reviewer
Experienced Executive Assistant at a transportation company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Being able to see who made changes to a document and where it is in the chain of command is valuable. We did have issues with stability.

What is most valuable?

I was using this product to implement a paperless board approval process. The features that I found most useful were being able to see who made changes to a document, where the document was in the chain of command, and being able to leave comments to make the process more collaborative.

Besides the ability to improve our board process, there were a lot of other things we could have used it for because the tool was so flexible. It seemed like there may have been ways to use it for communication for small groups within the organization or as an intranet. It was easy enough to learn and use as well.

I also felt that the ability to access this from an app was extremely valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

It made it easier to see where a contract or board item was being held up within the chain of command.

What needs improvement?

I am not sure if it is still for the same version we were using, but as noted below, we did have issues with stability.

I used it for several months at a previous employer.

While we were working on implementing this product, the entire system crashed and we had to reinstall it from a previous version.

I am not sure if we had scalability issues.

Support is decent. We worked with a consultant who was helpful and knowledgable.

We were working from spreadsheets and emails. This was to make the process more seamless and green-friendly.

I believe it was included as we already had GroupWise, but I’m not sure.

I have no knowledge about this.

I have no knowledge about this.

What other advice do I have?

I worked with a consultant who had a lot of knowledge on how to design process flows within Vibe and I found this very helpful.

Senior Technical Analyst, Technical Services, MIS at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

Our end users find great value in building team workspaces to collaborate not only with internal employees, but with third-party consultants and customers as required. It is an invaluable tool for us as a 'company portal'.

How has it helped my organization?

Having one centralized collaboration space to bring all employees together has been quite beneficial for our organization as we have 120+ remote locations in rural areas with slower internet connections.

This allows head office and regional office users to share documents with those remote users as shared network drives are not an option.

What needs improvement?

Vast improvements have been made in newer releases to make the product more end-user friendly, however they still have some room to make the experience smoother.

The end user experience could be improved. Some functions are a little too complicated for the average user.

We have used MicroFocus Vibe in our corporate environment since 2012.

We had a difficult time upgrading from version 3.2 to 4.0.2 with Oracle as our backend database. We had to engage with support on more than one occasion to make the upgrade a success. Issues aside, support is and has always been excellent.

We wanted to implement a cluster member in each of our two datacenters. However, Vibe requires a shared disk configuration between both servers and that wasn't a workable option for us at the time.

MicroFocus, NetIQ and Novell have always had excellent technical support. I would rate it at 10/10.

We previously used a version of Plone but we wanted a more universally supported product.

The documentation is quite clear. I would say it's very straightforward to deploy.

No comments here as I am not in charge of purchasing. I do remember it being a fraction of the cost of SharePoint if you don't already have device/user client access licenses. We are not an Active Directory environment.

We looked at SharePoint, but the costs were much too high.

What other advice do I have?

Take the training offered by MicroFocus. It will help you get started on the right foot.

it_user685329 - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Development and Delivery Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The solution is extremely easy to train users on so they can get to collaborating quickly and efficiently.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use! Vibe is extremely easy to train users on so they can get to collaborating quickly and efficiently.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to centralize all customer data: files, discussions and technical notes.

What needs improvement?

The following issues need some attention:

• better integration with MS Office suite
  • more flexibility in customizing the colors and themes
  • custom forms and workflows are powerful, but the interface needs revamping to be easier to work with.

We have been using the solution for eight years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability. Very stable!

We did not encounter any issues with scalability. Very scalable.

Technical support is good. There are a couple of good first line support techs, but with great escalation engineers in the back.

We did not use a previous solution.

Setup was straightforward and well documented.

Simple per-user licensing, pricing is fair for the value that the product brings.

We did not evaluate any alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

Initial installation and configuration is fairly easy. What happens next is the "what now?" syndrome.

Get some help on training users, finding use cases and encouraging adoption.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Micro Focus partner with technical skills on several products.
it_user689562 - PeerSpot reviewer
Junior Software Developer at Council For Scientific And Industrial Research (Csir) (ZA)
HTML and JSP elements are the most valuable features. You have to press the Back button at least three times to return to the previous page.

What is most valuable?

HTML and JSP elements are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it as a document repository.

What needs improvement?

You have to press the BACK button at least three times till it will go back to the previous page. This is something that must be improved.

This is the second year that I am using it.

There were no stability issues.

I would give the technical support team a 4 out of 10 rating. Micro Focus is neither user-friendly nor developer-friendly.

When I got here (my current company), Micro Focus was already installed.

I have no idea about the pricing, but from what I have heard, it is cheaper than SharePoint.

What other advice do I have?

It is not entirely user-friendly.