LocalDB OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

LocalDB is the #10 ranked solution in top Relational Databases. PeerSpot users give LocalDB an average rating of 10.0 out of 10. LocalDB is most commonly compared to SQL Server: LocalDB vs SQL Server. LocalDB is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Relational Databases Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is LocalDB?
LocalDB is a lightweight version of the SQL Server Express Database Engine that is targeted for program development. LocalDB starts on demand and runs in user mode, so there is no complex configuration.
LocalDB Customers
AstraZeneca, Kienzle Automotive GmbH, Kodak Alaris, Unilever, Floatel International and Kongsberg Maritime, MyHero
LocalDB Video

Archived LocalDB Reviews (more than two years old)

Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer at EXEC
Good for the development process, generally stable, and easy to set up
  • "The initial setup was simple."
  • "The solution needs to create a management tool. Right now, the solution has tools for creating a local installation, but it's too simplistic. We need something that's a bit more complex so that we can extend the tools with our scripts."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution during the development process. When our developers need to connect to the database during an application's creation, they install LocalDB on their development workstation and use it to connect.

How has it helped my organization?

This tool help us build apps quicker and faster.

What is most valuable?

Database Engine which is compatible with on-premise and cloud release.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to create a management tool. Right now, the solution has tools for creating a local installation, but it's too simplistic. We need something that's a bit more complex so that we can extend the tools with our scripts.

Technical support could be quicker to respond to tickets.

Relational Databases Tools
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Oracle, MariaDB and others in Relational Databases Tools. Updated: November 2022.
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is stable. Occasionally. we play with newer versions when they are available for us. In these cases, sometimes it's not stable. However, when we use the production version of DB, it is very stable.

Currently, we have a team of 25 using the solution.

Technical support is good. We don't have any problem with technical support from Microsoft, especially when we're talking about support for Azure services. It's very quick. When we are talking about on-premise solutions, however, sometimes we must wait for a few days for issues to be resolved.

We sometimes use different products, including PostgreSQL , among others, especially during the deployment process.

The initial setup was simple.

Our team handled the implementation.

Azure SQL

What other advice do I have?

We've used the solution about 100 times across a number of different projects. We're currently using the 2014 and 2017 versions of the solution with an on-premises deployment model.

We're partners with Microsoft.

I'd recommend the solution for those looking for something to assist with their development process.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

IT Architect and Test Tool Designer at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
A database with excellent reporting features, good technical support, and a straightforward setup
  • "The initial setup is very straightforward. The guidelines are very easy to follow. Maintenance is very easy and requires very little manpower."
  • "The ALM features can be improved, but the database by itself is reliable."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our database.

What is most valuable?

The solution has powerful reporting features that are very valuable. The user interface is the standard SQL management tool, so it's very easy to navigate.

What needs improvement?

The ALM features can be improved, but the database by itself is reliable.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is very stable. We haven't had any issues in this regard.

So far, we've been very satisfied with technical support.

The initial setup is very straightforward. The guidelines are very easy to follow. Maintenance is very easy and requires very little manpower.

We had a local partner assist us with the implementation. They were extremely knowledgeable.

The solution isn't expensive. My company has a subscription model for software licenses. This way, it's very inexpensive because if you have one big cluster of databases, you have literally no cost.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Relational Databases Tools
November 2022
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior business Intelligence consultant at Asociación SevillaUP
I evaluated Oracle & PostgreSQL but am sticking with SQL Server because of its vast knowledge base & better feature list.

What is most valuable?

The memory footprint is the smallest in its category of products. I think Microsoft did a very good job squeezing as many features as possible in such a tiny executable. The price, being it free, it's of course a plus. And the capability to do almost everything as in the commercial version. When using a developer machine or also a virtual machine, it is essential that every MB of memory is well utilized. The binaries are loaded in memory only when needed. It uses the same client libraries as its bigger siblings, including the Native client. Unlike the Compact version which uses a limited set of functionality this LocalDB has Stored Procedures, Geometry, Geography data types, online backup, transactions, data integrity etc. It runs as a separate process as opposed to in-proc DLL.

How has it helped my organization?

For the development process and for small Business Intelligence projects, this software gives a very good head start because the installation is merely seconds. It runs in the current user context, and this allows the developer to be freed from switching accounts many times during the develop/deploy/test phase.

What needs improvement?

The storage limit is about 10GB, so for medium to big databases it is not applicable.

I've been using SQL Server since version 7, so approximately 15 years, this 2012 Express is the latest release of this software. This is a free lightweight version of the 2012 full fledged product.

No. The setup is really Next -> Accept ->Next -> Finish.

Of course you won't use LocalDB if you need to scale. I mean, in order to scale one should buy the commercial version of SQL Server. But even so, the database will not need any modification. According to Microsoft web site: "Upgrade from SQL Express to paid SQL Server editions is a matter of typing in a license key and no installation is required"

I did not use the customer service, the sheer amount of information, articles, blogs and forums about SQL Server covers practically the 99% of issues one may encounter with this database system

I'd rate it "good enough", based on previous products experiences.

I used both SQL Server and other open source RDBMS. I switched because of the vast knowledge base and the far better feature list in SQL Server.

Very straightforward. One download, pick the 32 or 64 bit version and run the SqlLocalDB.msi installer

In house, literally in "my" house.

Setup cost, 0€. Day to day cost 0€, excluding power consumption.

I also used Oracle 11 XE, MySQL, PostgreSQL.

What other advice do I have?

The only caveat is to pay attention to the user context. The SQL engine doesn't run with a privileged or system account, so it really has only the permissions of the currently logged in user (files, network, etc.). It is advisable to install the SQL Server management studio (also free) to administer and configure it

it_user70134 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user70134Senior business Intelligence consultant at Asociación SevillaUP

Yes, you're correct. In fact it is the localDB version, not express. I should have specified it in the title. Thanks
Davide