Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

LocalDB OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

LocalDB is #11 ranked solution in top Relational Databases. PeerSpot users give LocalDB an average rating of 9.6 out of 10. LocalDB is most commonly compared to SQL Server: LocalDB vs SQL Server. LocalDB is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Relational Databases Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is LocalDB?
LocalDB is a lightweight version of the SQL Server Express Database Engine that is targeted for program development. LocalDB starts on demand and runs in user mode, so there is no complex configuration.
LocalDB Customers
AstraZeneca, Kienzle Automotive GmbH, Kodak Alaris, Unilever, Floatel International and Kongsberg Maritime, MyHero
LocalDB Video

LocalDB Pricing Advice

What users are saying about LocalDB pricing:
"The licensing cost is too high for LocalDB."

LocalDB Reviews

Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer at EXEC
Good for the development process, generally stable, and easy to set up
  • "The initial setup was simple."
  • "The solution needs to create a management tool. Right now, the solution has tools for creating a local installation, but it's too simplistic. We need something that's a bit more complex so that we can extend the tools with our scripts."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution during the development process. When our developers need to connect to the database during an application's creation, they install LocalDB on their development workstation and use it to connect.

How has it helped my organization?

This tool help us build apps quicker and faster.

What is most valuable?

Database Engine which is compatible with on-premise and cloud release.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to create a management tool. Right now, the solution has tools for creating a local installation, but it's too simplistic. We need something that's a bit more complex so that we can extend the tools with our scripts.

Technical support could be quicker to respond to tickets.

Relational Databases Tools
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Oracle, MariaDB and others in Relational Databases Tools. Updated: September 2022.
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is stable. Occasionally. we play with newer versions when they are available for us. In these cases, sometimes it's not stable. However, when we use the production version of DB, it is very stable.

Currently, we have a team of 25 using the solution.

Technical support is good. We don't have any problem with technical support from Microsoft, especially when we're talking about support for Azure services. It's very quick. When we are talking about on-premise solutions, however, sometimes we must wait for a few days for issues to be resolved.

We sometimes use different products, including PostgreSQL , among others, especially during the deployment process.

The initial setup was simple.

Our team handled the implementation.

Azure SQL

What other advice do I have?

We've used the solution about 100 times across a number of different projects. We're currently using the 2014 and 2017 versions of the solution with an on-premises deployment model.

We're partners with Microsoft.

I'd recommend the solution for those looking for something to assist with their development process.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

SatyaprakashSingh - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior System Administrator at Skp group
Straightforward setup, reliable, and beneficial connections

What is our primary use case?

We are monitoring the data and records in LocalDB.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of LocalDBis the connection between the application and DB.

What needs improvement?

The internal connection features of LocalDB could improve.

I have been using LocalDB for one or two years.

LocalDB is stable.

The scalability of LocalDB is good.

We have local support and it is very good.

LocalDB initial setup was simple.

We did the implementation of the solution and we require one person for maintenance support.

The licensing cost is too high for LocalDB.

What other advice do I have?

I rate LocalDB a ten out of ten.