IDERA ER/Studio OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IDERA ER/Studio is the #6 ranked solution in top Database Development and Management tools and #12 ranked solution in top Enterprise Architecture Management tools. PeerSpot users give IDERA ER/Studio an average rating of 6.6 out of 10. IDERA ER/Studio is most commonly compared to erwin Data Modeler by Quest: IDERA ER/Studio vs erwin Data Modeler by Quest. IDERA ER/Studio is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 16% of all views.

Download the Enterprise Architecture Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is IDERA ER/Studio?

IDERA ER/Studio is a powerful suite for business-driven data modeling that enables companies to create an enterprise architecture foundation for data governance. With round-trip support for multiple database platforms, data architects have the power to reverse-engineer, analyze, and optimize existing databases easily from diverse platforms. Data professionals can easily capture and share models, metadata, data sources, and glossaries across the organization for improved alignment between the organization and Information Technology. Organizational stakeholders can take part in the metadata definition workflow and access information on models and metadata at the right level for their needs.

Unlike its competition, it provides the broadest range of data platform support, industry-leading enterprise-level capabilities, visual data lineage and flow modeling, full dimensional modeling for data warehousing and business intelligence, and business data objects to bridge the gap between developers and data architects. It also provides a complete solution for enterprise architecture and data governance, extensive model change management, unique incorporation of true enterprise data dictionaries, unique linking of constructs across models, integrated visual data lineage import, and integrated data and business process modeling.

IDERA ER/Studio was previously known as IDERA ER Studio, ER/Studio, ER/Studio Enterprise Team Edition.

IDERA ER/Studio Customers

Newmont Mining, Entrust, Accolade, TalkTalk, Catalina, Protective Life, NTT Data, dir systèmes, Microsoft; American Express, Astellas Pharma, AstraZeneca, Coriant, Fedex, GlaxoSmithKline, PepsiCo, Prudential, Wells Fargo

IDERA ER/Studio Video

IDERA ER/Studio Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IDERA ER/Studio pricing:
  • "On a scale of one to ten, where one is bad and ten is good, I would rate the licensing cost as a seven or eight. It's not too expensive for us."
  • "The price of this product is okay."
  • IDERA ER/Studio Reviews

AndersonMoura - PeerSpot reviewer
    Data Management Product Owner at ExxonMobil
    The solution has important reverse engineering features, but it needs a single sign-on feature
    • "The data modeling and reverse engineering features are most important to us."
    • "They allow functionalities to be released before the full tests for catching and correcting errors are completed."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to build data modeling activities. We also use it for reverse engineering with a cloud environment, like Snowflake, for example. We are starting to test integrating it with Collibra.

What is most valuable?

The data modeling and reverse engineering features are most important to us.

What needs improvement?

With ER/Studio, the roadmap to send us new versions with the new database is slow. I think it could allow us to test and use new database versions faster.

Sometimes we get new functionalities like, for example, the Collibra integration. We receive these new functionalities, and sometimes we start to test them and we find errors that we need to correct by talking with tech support. I think they allow functionalities to be released before the full tests for catching and correcting errors are completed.

My other point is about the team server. We're using the web portal, and the interface is not so good. The client was modified, and we have the new version. It's good. The client is good to us, but the web portal is using the old UI. It's not as modern, and it's limited.

We found that the new version is slow when compared to the older version. We are trying to investigate what component is causing the slowness, because you have the client access, the repository, the API, the team server, and the web portal.

Getting a single sign-on feature is very important to us.

My company has been working with ER/Studio for ten years. I was hired one year ago, so I've been working with the solution for a year.

Enterprise Architecture Management
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about IDERA, erwin by Quest , SAP and others in Enterprise Architecture Management. Updated: November 2022.
    655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The product is stable.

We currently have about 350 users of this solution in our company. We have different people using the tool, including data architects, data modelers, and sometimes we have business customers doing the conceptual data modeling. We have a six-person team, with two specialists and four engineers, that supports this solution.

The support is not so good but it's not so bad. They help us, but sometimes they are slow to give us an answer. I would rate the support as a five out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup was easy, but the migration process is difficult. If you are trying to do an upgrade, for example, from the old version to the new version, you have to upgrade the diagrams manually, and it's a problem. It's not an automatic process.

The original setup was probably done in-house, but I'm not sure because I wasn't at the company at that time. We have two environments, the data center and production. The production environment took about 16 hours to deploy.

On a scale of one to ten, where one is bad and ten is good, I would rate the licensing cost as a seven or eight. It's not too expensive for us. We have a license, and I think our contract with the vendor includes support.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell those who are planning to use the tool that I think the interface is okay; there's no problem with it. They need to verify whether the portal has all the functionalities that they are expecting. It's very useful to do a POC to test the functionalities and verify that the database will work okay with the company.

I would rate this solution as an eight out of ten.

Data Architect at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Semantic data lineage and usability need to be improved, but it's priced well
    • "It does the job."
    • "What needs the most improvement are semantic lineage and usability."

What is our primary use case?

I have experience working with various data architecture tools, and ER/Studio is one of them that I use in this capacity. We use it either to help an organization understand what data it has got or to design a database.

What is most valuable?

It does the job. However, it doesn't work as well as other solutions.

What needs improvement?

What needs the most improvement are semantic lineage and usability.

I began working with IDERA ER/Studio approximately eight years ago, and have about three years of experience with it.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

I have experience working with SAP PowerDesigner and erwin.

It is on par with erwin, although I think that I prefer erwin. It is nowhere close to SAP PowerDesigner.

To this point, I've only set up trial versions, and I've not set up or installed it for an enterprise.

However, I'm probably going to be doing that in the next two, three weeks.

The price of this product is okay.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is to understand what your requirements are of the system, of whatever tool you're going to select. There are loads of people and organizations that have bought this product and used it, and that's dependent upon their requirements, their needs.

Plenty of others have bought SAP PowerDesigner. Personally, and I'm self-employed, or a freelance contractor, I invested more money and decided on SAP Power Designer.

Overall, I don't like any of the features and I think that it's a poor system.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Download our free Enterprise Architecture Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about IDERA, erwin by Quest , SAP, and more!
    Updated: November 2022