IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM SPSS Statistics OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM SPSS Statistics is #2 ranked solution in top Data Mining tools and #5 ranked solution in top Data Science Platforms. PeerSpot users give IBM SPSS Statistics an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM SPSS Statistics is most commonly compared to IBM SPSS Modeler: IBM SPSS Statistics vs IBM SPSS Modeler. IBM SPSS Statistics is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 26% of all views.
IBM SPSS Statistics Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM SPSS Statistics Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is IBM SPSS Statistics?
Your organization has more data than ever, but spreadsheets and basic statistical analysis tools limit its usefulness. IBM SPSS Statistics software can help you find new relationships in the data and predict what will likely happen next. Virtually eliminate time-consuming data prep; and quickly create, manipulate and distribute insights for decision making.

IBM SPSS Statistics was previously known as SPSS Statistics.

IBM SPSS Statistics Customers
LDB Group, RightShip, Tennessee Highway Patrol, Capgemini Consulting, TEAC Corporation, Ironside, nViso SA, Razorsight, Si.mobil, University Hospitals of Leicester, CROOZ Inc., GFS Fundraising Solutions, Nedbank Ltd., IDS-TILDA
IBM SPSS Statistics Video

Archived IBM SPSS Statistics Reviews (more than two years old)

PARWEZANSARI - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Process Improvement at Godfrey Phillips India Ltd
Good for big data analytics, stable, and scalable
  • "The solution is very comprehensive, especially compared to Minitabs, which is considered more for manufacturing. However, whatever data you want to analyze can be handled with SPSS."
  • "One of the areas that should be similar to Minitabs is the use of blogs. The Minitabs blog helps users understand the tools and gives lots of practical examples. Following the SPSS manual is cumbersome. It's a good, exhaustive manual, but it's not practical to use. With Minitabs, you can go to the blogs and find specific articles written about various components and it's very helpful. Without blogs, we find SPSS more complicated."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for data analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

Some time I have used it RFM analysis, in sales. It has given good insight for improvement

What is most valuable?

The tests, videos, and tools that are the most useful depend on what objective the company has, but all of the features are quite good. The solution is very comprehensive, especially compared to Minitabs, which is considered more for manufacturing. However, whatever data you want to analyze can be handled with SPSS.

IBM SPSS Statistics
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about IBM SPSS Statistics. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for one or two years.

The stability of the solution is good. We've never faced any issues.

The solution is scalable.

I haven't really used technical support. Mostly I use Google to look for answers to my questions.

We currently use both SPSS and Minitabs. We prefer Minitabs, but if we don't find a solution on it, we switch to SPSS.

In comparison to Minitabs, the initial setup was more complex. The solution has a lot of options and we weren't sure which were the best to use, and that made the experience frustrating. In the end, the deployment took longer than Minitabs.

NA

not calculated

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise users to think about using Minitabs. The solution is simpler. However, if you are working with big data, SPSS is better. For large data sets, there's nothing better than SPSS. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I'd rate it higher, but it's quite a complex product.
Assistant Director-Data Analytics at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good custom tabs, good clustering capabilities and very stable
  • "The solution has numerous valuable features. We particularly like custom tabs. It's very useful. We end up analyzing a lot of software data, so features related to custom tabs are really helpful."
  • "The solution needs more planning tools and capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We use SPSS specifically for doing segmentation analysis and customer analysis including various kinds of share model predictions, etc.

What is most valuable?

All of the clustering for multi-related techniques including clustering, factoring, etc. is quite useful.

The cost integration features are very good.

What needs improvement?

The data preparation skills need improvement. When I compare the solution with other tools or competitors, this solution needs to simplify data preparation.

The solution needs more planning tools and capabilities.

I've been using the solution for about ten years now.

The solution is very stable. I haven't come across or heard of any problems on the solution. There's no bugs or glitches. It works well.

I don't believe this solution would be the best for companies that need to scale. It doesn't have the level of scalability available to grow very much.

I haven't been in touch with technical support directly, but I have been using their forums to help troubleshoot issues. I've researched some forums. Whenever I encounter issues within the solution, I will actively browse a few forums for blogs for documentation that might provide me with some insights.

I have previously used different solutions. I've used SAS, R, and Minit. There are many other solutions as well that I have tried out at one time or another.

The initial setup is very straightforward. We didn't have any issues with the implementation.

I didn't actually deploy the solution, so I can't speak to how long it took. We use different tools as well that I work with. I can be deployed, but I'm not sure how long it would take an organization exactly.

We have an enterprise-level license with IBM.

Although we're working with IBM right now, we're currently looking for a new data science platform solution. I was hoping to find an open-source tool that could fit our needs in the future. We're evaluating R and Python right now, but they're not quite what we need. On all of our new engagements, we'd really like to use open-source only.

What other advice do I have?

We're an official IBM partner. We have an enterprise license; I'm not sure if we're currently using the latest version or not. We might be on V3 or V4.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

I'd rate it nine out of ten.

IBM SPSS Statistics
June 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EzzAbdelfattah - PeerSpot reviewer
Associate Professor of Statistics at KAU
Offers good duration, correlation, and nonparametric statistics
  • "In terms of the features I've found most valuable, I'd say the duration, the correlation, and of course the nonparametric statistics. I use it for reliability and survival analysis, time series, regression models in different solutions, and different types of solutions."
  • "Most of the package will give you the fixed value, or the p-value, without an explanation as to whether it it significant or not. Some beginners might need not just the results, but also some explanation for them."

What is our primary use case?

I am using SPSS Statistics in many, many, many fields - more than you can imagine. The last one I was working on was with women at the Human Rights Council. I'm also using SPSS Amos for structural equation modeling. I'm using it to analyze data for business, data for engineering, and many other fields. Besides being a professional, I also sometimes advise or solve problems for others who are working with it in business or doing their Ph.D. or master's degree in it. Again, it is useful in many, many fields.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the features I've found most valuable, I'd say the duration, the correlation, and of course the nonparametric statistics. I use it for reliability and survival analysis, time series, regression models in different solutions, and different types of solutions. I'm using most of the content of SPSS.

What needs improvement?

I think the duration and time-series need improvement.

Some things need more explanation. For instance, if you are using the automated part in SPSS, you have automatic linear modeling. It gives you the meaning of the result, explaining if it is significant. But most of the package will give you the fixed value, or the p-value, without an explanation as to whether it significant or not. Some beginners might need not just the results, but also an explanation for them.

This already exists in two parts of the SPSS. One for the automatic linear modeling, and the second for nonparametric. The automation, the automatic part, gives you not only the results and the output but also what this output means. For me as a professional, I can explain the results even if it's not included in the output. But if they were to include some explanation for the results, such as is it significantly based on the P-value, that would make SPSS great.

Additionally, there is something else that really needs improvement - the part related to multivariate analysis. The chi-squared for instance. Some packages can give you the chi-squared directly, but in the multivariate part of SPSS, it's not as clear as it should be. So working with the multivariate could be improved or expanded. This last semester I was teaching multivariate to postgraduate students and it was not as clear as it should be. In conclusion, regarding improvements for the package, I can say that multivariate needs improving.

Lastly, some results need to be presented in a more diverse way. For instance, if you are working in biostatistics then sensitivity, specificity, and relative risk need to also be included. Some people don't use SPSS because they need some medical calculations and they think that SPSS cannot calculate it. But if you are working with the older, survival analysis, you can add this part to the medical field. Actually, it is really easy to include it and calculate it for it. As I told you, you can add a medical field part for the study design, such as screening tests, sensitivity, specificity and so on.

I have been using IBM SPSS Statistics for more than 20 years.

I have written five books on using SPSS Statistics and one book for using the Modeler. Two of them were in English for bio-statistics, and the others are in other fields, but in Arabic.

I like the stability and would rate it at more than 95%. If you're working with the package for a long period of time, you understand most of the texts that you need to know.

I told you I wrote five books about using SPSS, so of course, I'm totally impressed with this package more than any other one.

When I was in the United States, I started to use SAS. But for the Middle East, SAS is not as easy as SPSS.

I believe more than 50% of those in the university are working on it, so it's a long scale of users. For instance, tomorrow I am leading training for using the Modeler in a department in the university. All the time, a lot of people ask for a daily cost for using SPSS because it is the most common solution here in Saudi Arabia.

I have never contacted support. I hope I can contact them with a call to improve my notes about the outputs or something.

The initial setup is straightforward and doesn't take more than 20 minutes on average.

I do the deployment myself. We can sometimes download from IBM's site. It doesn't need any help.

We have a package for the university students and teachers. It's a package for graduate students, and the students can use it. They can download it and use it.

We evaluated other options. In general, in the Middle East, we use many different software packages, like SAS, Minitab, and SPSS. But I believe that SPSS might be the number one in the Middle East. I'm talking about Saudi Arabia or Egypt.

What other advice do I have?

Of course I would recommend SPSS. I advise everyone to use it. As I mentioned, I wrote books about using SPSS. They are used for training and I knew most of the lecturers were using the package.

Time series is a branch in and of itself, and it's very important for forecasting the future. I was suffering until I could simplify this using the SPSS for forecasting or for building time series modeling.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give IBM SPSS Statistics at least a nine.

Policy Analyst at a government with 10,001+ employees
A helpful user interface, but not suitable for use with Big Data
  • "The most valuable feature is the user interface because you don't need to write code."
  • "This solution is not suitable for use with Big Data."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use for this solution was to interpret the results of a survey. I made use of correlation methods and other features to perform this analysis.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the user interface because you don't need to write code. You can drag and drop selections and the menu is very helpful. You can adjust your parameters and other things, all through the interface.

What needs improvement?

The licensing model is not popular and should be changed to SaaS.

This solution is not suitable for use with Big Data.

I had been using IBM SPSS Statistics for two or three years. I have changed roles and am not currently working with this solution.

The stability of this solution is good.

The scalability of this solution is not good because we cannot use it with Big Data. Instead, we used IBM SPSS Modeler.

The price of this solution is a little bit high, which was a problem for my company.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend for people who do not need to work with Big Data.

Private Cloud
HosseinRazavi - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Avina
Powerful analytical tool even for multivariate statistics and has the ability to easily change any variable in our research
  • "It has the ability to easily change any variable in our research."
  • "The design of the experience can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use for IBM SPSS Statistics is as a user and a consultant.

I use it for my research in market analytics. I also use it for cluster analysis for customers. Currently, my eight students in university are using it in their projects. I think that IBM SPSS has improved very much and its data mining capabilities are also very good. I suggest it as a powerful research tool for anybody in different areas.

I work mostly with market analytics. I think that it's good in different areas. For example, some of my students in university also use it for factor analysis and component analysis. I also use it for descriptive statistics describing a population, and for information analysis. Its application for regulation analysis is very good. And I use it in my private work, too.

What is most valuable?

I think that it's easy to use because of its variable inference. It has two variable ports and the variable experience is very nice because every variable has its own purpose. It has the ability to easily change any variable in our research.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what can be improved, currently, I don't have any ideas because I think that it's in very good shape. It compares with its peers.

I do think that the design of the experience can be improved.

Also, I think that it can improve its ability to import or export the results from other software.

I have been using IBM SPSS Statistics for more than five or six years.

Right now, there are 5 or 6 users in my company using the product. I have plans to increase usage because currently, I am working with some new customers on their market analysis and ideas. So I'll introduce this to them for their future analysis.

Regarding the SPSS technical support - I don't have any problems. I can find any answers on the internet or by searching on their site. I don't have any problems in this area.

I currently work with MiniTask software and Microsoft Excel for analysis in my various work.

In terms of initial setup, I don't have any problem opening it. It usually takes less than half an hour to deploy.

I think that IBM SPSS Statistics is a very powerful analytical tool, even for multivariate statistics. Other software solutions that I mentioned don't have these capabilities and are weaker than SPSS.

What other advice do I have?

I think that it is a very good analysis tool for many different areas. For example, recently I found many applicable uses in my research and for market analysis. SPSS can be deployed as a very powerful tool. I am now consulting with very different customers in various areas to improve their the analytical tools with their analytics team.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate the IBM SPSS about eight or nine. To make it a 10, I suggest improving the design that experiments are run on.

Founder at pt. sma
Has many existing algorithms that we can use but it should have the ability to create higher-level presentations
  • "They have many existing algorithms that we can use and use effectively to analyze and understand how to put our data to work to improve what we do."
  • "The product should provide more ways to import data and export results that are user-friendly for high-level executives."

What is our primary use case?

In our company, we have about 2000 workers. I use K-means algorithms all the time. So, for example, say we want to classify workers to do better studies by groupings. Maybe we want to target groups of workers who tend to make more errors so we can concentrate on reducing the effects of this issue. We can further classify the grouping in terms of age and in terms of year of services in the company or other ways that may be helpful. After we have found the grouping of people, we can do other types of analysis and the result of the study can be used to apply solutions. In this case, where we are looking to reduce errors, it might be a solution to deploy more supervision and evaluate more of the variables from the group of the employee that we have isolated to analyze performance issues. For example, we may want to reduce excessive overtime to enhance alertness. We are use TFS (Team Foundation Server) and we use the K-means algorithm to help optimize the behaviors in the groups that we identify.

I think in the future this kind of algorithm will be used widely by people to predict many things and to improve the performance of businesses and individuals.

What is most valuable?

I like that the solution provides many built-in options for us. They have many existing algorithms that we can use. Using them effectively depends on us because we have to understand how to utilize any particular solution. But actually, the product is at a good level when it comes to ease-of-use. You have to have the data first to work with. You retrieve data you want to use from the database and you format the data and put it to the SPSS. Then you do analysis and from that, you can take better steps towards a business solution based on the results the analysis returns.

What needs improvement?

The areas of SPSS Statics that have room for improvement — where it can be simplified to make it better — have to do with how you connect the SPSS solution with the data. They could provide enhancements like a query console so we can connect to the database and feed data more easily into SPSS. That could be really beneficial and save time and effort. Just enhancing the tools to collect the data would be significant.

One other enhancement I would like to see is the ability to create higher-level presentations. When you are finished processing the data, you come up with the result. If you are a technician or a data analyst it is not so hard to look at the data. But what I think would be a nice addition is to create presentations. The bosses at a higher level do not want to see the raw data and to show the data is not so nice and easy for them to understand. Some ways to do more to create a presentation — something that is easier to look at and understand — would be good. The ability to do this should be improved.

They need to improve the ability to connect to the databases, provide a query console and query windows. The engine for processing is there already, but the data feed has to be better. Then provide ways to present the result differently. Maybe graphic presentation options would be good so understanding the results can be more intuitive for the user.

We have been using the IBM SPSS solution for about a year.

The stability of SPSS Statistics doesn't seem to have bugs, glitches, or crashes. It's pretty stable and it functions well under the loads we have tested. The number of SPSS users is currently not more than 10 people. The data that we process with the SPSS is never really more than 2000 rows. So we only know that it is stable at this level of usage so far. If there is an opportunity to process 100,000 rows, I don't know what the performance would be. From what I know we would not see any problems, but so far our usage is limited.

While we don't really know yet what the performance will be like under greater loads for big data, I am pretty confident that the product is very scalable.

We have had contact with the IBM SPSS technical support team through the phone and they help us through what they call the TeamViewer. They can assist us promptly and I think the service is good. We are satisfied with the level of technical support we receive.

We did not use a different solution because we are trying to stay with Oracle and IBM solutions for compatibility and dependability.

The initial setup of the product is easy.

We did not do the deployment ourselves, we had someone do it. Even though it was not me who did the deployment, I know how they did it and was involved with the group who did it. So I am experienced with the initial setup but asked for assistance from integrators to not divert internal resources and be sure it was done right.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other users is that if they are not doing proper data analysis that there are other, better solutions like SPSS to predict and to analyze the data. Assuming the data is already there, they may just be printing a report or pulling a PDF or filling information into the database. But they are not really doing what they can with the data to use it.

Now there are better solutions we can use and should use to produce information from the data in a way we did not before. It is a better way and the way of the future for data analysis. We need to use predictive algorithms and AI to get more from the information we collect and use it to create better solutions for our businesses. Data analysis is different now than it was only maybe 5 years ago. We can perfect the data and come up with facts from that analysis that we can use for predictions that will help make looking into the future with prediction more viable and accurate.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate IBM SPSS Statistics as a 7 out of 10. To improve that score they need to enhance the data access and export so that it will be less work, add dashboards for queries and give more options for reporting output.

CEO & Owner at a tech services company
Stable, excellent for predictive analytics, and a proven track record
  • "You can find a complete algorithm in the solution and use it. You don't need to write your own algorithms for predictive analytics. That's the most valuable feature and the main one we use."
  • "Each algorithm could be more adaptable to some industry-specific areas, or, in some cases, adapted for maintenance."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the advanced analytics features or asset maintenance for IBM Maximo.

What is most valuable?

You can find a complete algorithm in the solution and use it. You don't need to write your own algorithms for predictive analytics. That's the most valuable feature and the main one we use.

What needs improvement?

Each algorithm could be more adaptable to some industry-specific areas, or, in some cases, adapted for maintenance.

I've been working with SPSS for three or four years.

For our purposes, and how we use it, I've found it to be very stable.

The solution is scalable, but our system isn't so big. We just use it for simple scenarios. However, I believe this solution to have similar scalability capabilities to other IBM products. We have approximately ten users on the solution currently.

We don't reach out to IBM support directly. We have a good relationship with a local office and always get help from them if we need it. We don't use the official IBM support as our issues are usually quite small.

I didn't handle the initial setup, however, I don't think it's too complex. The team, as far as I know, didn't have any issues.

What other advice do I have?

I've been working with SPSS for three or four years, but have limited knowledge of the product because we only used it for one project.

We use the on-premises deployment model. We're IBM partners.

I'd recommend the solution for the purposes of predictive analytics. I'm not sure about other use cases. SPSS can be used also for some other solutions in the area of advanced analytics, or for predictive analytics.

I can recommend it, as it's a good, stable solution with a proven track record.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

AltanAtabarut - PeerSpot reviewer
Founding Partner at Altdata Analytics
Anomaly detection, with a useful algorithm handbook, but it's not scalable
  • "The best part is that they have an algorithm handbook, so you can open it up and understand how it works, and if it is useful, this is very important."
  • "The statistics should be more self-explanatory with detailed automated reports."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for statistical approaches, performing ED tests, and multi-armed bandit tests. It gathers the results that help us to decide on what type of campaign works best, and what type of branding would work best.

What is most valuable?

The features that I find to be the most valuable are the anomaly detection and its statistics. The clustering statistics are important as well as the usual old-school statistical analysis called ANOVA and ANCOVA. They are critical.

There were some new approaches that I hadn't used before.

The best part is that they have an algorithm handbook, so you can open it up and understand how it works, and if it is useful, this is very important. Many people don't read these types of handbooks, but they should because it was very useful and I use it a lot.

What needs improvement?

I don't know if this solution is available on the cloud. If it is then we should be using it because it would be even better. The on-premises version is lax in terms of computational capability, so we have to use a more powerful computer.

Some new tools will be available soon with self-explanatory statistical results, and they have multi-language generations that create automatic reports with detailed explanations of the statistical reports. I wish that they were more advanced.

Some areas that need improvement or should be more advanced are in the reporting. The statistics should be more self-explanatory with detailed automated reports.

You should be able to walk through with the statistical schematics because some of the matters are advanced, and if you don't have a full understanding or you don't remember how to get the desired results then there should be a guide or a walkthrough to help and explain how it should be applied.

In the next release, they should have some new statistical approaches that can be applied, some new memory detection, and new clustering techniques.

Also, some new statistical methods to increase the different model's explainability would be helpful.

I have been using this solution for more than three years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is not scalable.

If I had known or implemented the version, then it may be scalable. The problem is that it's used on the original core and it's receiving a long analysis. It should be able to use multi-cores, and CPU, but it doesn't do anything like that.

I am the only user.

When you contact support, sometimes it takes a while because they don't know how to help you resolve your issue. In turn, they contact other areas of support and it takes time to get back to you.

The support is just ok, and you have to contact someone who works in the US or in Europe.

Previously I was using SAP Statistics. It was old-school, so I switched to Visual Statistics and it was useful. From there, we switched IBM SPSS Statistics. It is a good solution but it would be even better if it had some automated skills.

The initial setup was a little bit complex.

It took half of an evening to complete the setup and implementation, mainly waiting on support to help with issues.

I did the implementation myself. I did not use a vendor or integrator.

What other advice do I have?

It's a pretty old-school statistical tool but it's useful.

I would recommend it, although there are some better tools available.

Volkan ÇAma? - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Consultant at Caligo
Good machine learning algorithms and statistical models, but technical support needs to be more responsive
  • "Some of the most valuable features that we are using with some business models are machine learning algorithms, statistical models given to us by the business, and getting data from the database or text files."
  • "Technical support needs some improvement, as they do not respond as quickly as we would like."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for collecting business data and reporting to upper management. Also, I am creating some regulatory and ad-hoc reports.

What is most valuable?

Some of the most valuable features that we are using with some business models are machine learning algorithms, statistical models given to us by the business, and getting data from the database or text files.

The current features meet with the needs of our company. Our needs are not complex for the features offered.

What needs improvement?

There are some scheduling issues that created some complex flows. Creating a simple scheduling mechanism would be an improvement for this tool.

The price is too expensive so they should consider reducing the cost, make it more competitive.

I have been using this solution for three years.

This solution is stable, we have not had any issues.

We have not scaled this solution as it is sufficient for us.

We have one hundred people using this solution. Most are IT, consultants.

We have contacted technical support two or three times and they don't respond quickly.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We did not use a vendor team to implement this solution. We did it ourselves.

We think that IBM SPSS is expensive for this function.

What other advice do I have?

In this field, there are some open-source products such as KNIME that may be useful for our purpose, because it lessens the costs.

Ali-Megahed - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Statistical Consultant at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Has good linear regression analysis features and is easily scalable
  • "Most of the product features are good but I particularly like the linear regression analysis."
  • "I think the visualization and charting should be changed and made easier and more effective."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a senior statistical consultant. We mainly use IBM SPSS to find data and organize it. We have about 10 people in our company that use the product for analysis. The work is seasonal, sometimes we use the product daily and during other periods maybe weekly, monthly or quarterly. It really depends on when the work comes in. Our company uses many different types of software and it's really dependent on the individual situation and requirements of the company.

What is most valuable?

Most of the product features are good but I particularly like the linear regression analysis. I also benefit from the import and export of data abilities.

What needs improvement?

I believe the product could be improved. I think there is an issue with the charting and visualization, and I don't think it works as well as the competitive product. There is a lot of competition with other software, and I think the visualization and charting should be changed and made easier and more effective. They should also try to include better concepts for big data. I don't know if this can be matched or integrated with the flexibility of Python, because now Python is free. When I try to use another software such as JMP software, JMP makes managing, manipulating and changing the perspectives or the analysis points easier. When you compare or make any statistical search for two variables or more, one by one, X and Y and so on, you refer the variables to the original situation and change it. In JMP, you can just drag and drop and switch columns, rows to columns, and vice versa. It's really easy to use.

I think the product license is expensive for some people who would be interested in using it, but there is a cheaper version for searches. I think reducing the cost or making a cheaper version for companies should not be a problem.

In terms of additional features, I think some enhancement on the panel or the main menu would be helpful. Another thing I would hope to be able to do would be to facilitate the results for the user in one main window. There is a window for data and another window for output. I think maybe there could be an enhancement to make SPSS easier to manage and easier to move between data.

I've been using IBM SPSS Statistics for a long time, about 10 years.

The product is very stable, no problems at all.

The product is easily scalable.

I haven't had much need to contact technical support, only when they upgrade or update my version and something is required to activate it, but not for technical issues. I haven't needed them for that.

The setup of the product was very simple. It doesn't take more than about 30 minutes.

I can implement the product myself, particularly if it's for an individual. But for a company or in the corporate sector, that's another issue. I would need a team or an IT consultant.

The price of the basic product is okay but if I need to take the advanced model then there is a cost for the different levels. For questionnaire purposes, for example, there is very limited use. You pay to install plugins or add-ons to that. There is another feature for that, I believe, that costs around $1,000, but for an advanced model and a lot of extra tools, you might reach around $6,000-7,000.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Manager of Data Analytics
Merge, Aggregation, and Crosstabs functions are valuable for data preparation
  • "It has helped our analyst unit deliver work with more transparency and confidence, given that we can always view the dataset in totality, after each step of data transformation."
  • "The learning curve to using this product is not steep. The program is appropriate for those who do not have a lot of background in programming, yet have to perform basic statistical analysis."
  • "Needs more statistical modelling functions."

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• Merge, Aggregation, and Crosstabs functions are most valuable when I'm performing data preparation.
  • Statistical modelling functions within this product, such as Regression and PCA function, are also useful.
  • The point-and-click interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Needs more statistical modelling functions.

More than five years.

Not applicable.

Not applicable.

Good.

Setup was straightforward. My IT support helped me with the setup; it was quick.

Our licence is on a yearly renewal basis. While pricing is not the primary concern in our evaluation, as products are assessed by whether they can meet our user needs and expertise, the cost can be a limiting factor in the number of licences we procure.

Senior Research Analyst at a university
​Custom tables and macros allow us to create useful reports quickly for a broad audience

What is most valuable?

Custom tables and macros: They allow us to create useful reports quickly for a broad audience.

How has it helped my organization?

We can provide internal benchmarks that allow specific units to compare themselves to others and the whole organization.

What needs improvement?

• Scripts are clunky to work with.
  • Better documentation on how to use macros.
  • More affordable training for new staff members.

I have used it for 17 years.

Some of the versions have issues. It is not always made public that a “fix” is available. Many hours can be wasted thinking you have something wrong in your code when it really is an issue with the newest version.

I have used SPSS with 100,000 records. At that point, it was reaching its limit. Processes would not run, or would run incompletely. I am told for very large files, SAS may be better, but I have not confirmed this.

Rifan Kurnia - PeerSpot reviewer
Modeling Analyst, Advanced Analytics - Decision Management at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Provides a good number of modelling techniques although data visualization is not easy to do
  • "in terms of the simplicity, I think the SPSS basic can handle it."
  • "Perhaps in terms of visualization. It's not really easy to do some data visualization, just simple, descriptive analysis in SPSS. I think that could be an area for improvement."

What is most valuable?

Well, actually, in terms of the technique that we use, and also the implementation, I prefer to use SPSS Clementine right now. It can cover a big amount of data, instead of just basic SPSS where you have limitations, how many observations you can analyze. In terms of the features, I think that the modelling section in IBM SPSS Clementine is very good. it has a lot of modeling techniques compared to other tools.

How has it helped my organization?

Similar to other tools, we can identify the pattern of the customers and we can differentiate between which customers we should target, which customer we should not target, and do some basic analysis. I think that's the thing that helps our organization.

What needs improvement?

Also, right now we're handling more and more data. Maybe, in the future, they can improve on that.

Also on the specialization, I think IBM SPSS can improve on that.

I've actually been using SPSS since I was in University, so it's around 10 years.

When I was in college I used the basic SPSS, but when I was in the company I use SPSS Clementine. It is specialized for modeling.

Not much. I think it's good enough.

Up until now, not really. In telecom, we have a really big amount of data. I think that's not really been a problem for SPSS to handle.

I used several kinds of tools. It depends on the organization, what it already has. For example, in Alliance, right now, we already have our own solutions, so I just follow their organization rules and the preference. I have no preference in terms of the tools that I use.

I don't know. I'm not the IT guy who set up the tools.

As I said, I just follow what the company preference is for using tools. I'm not doing evaluation between products. The tool is already in place in the company, I just use it.

What other advice do I have?

Regarding SPSS basic, I think the buyer should understand what are the requirements of the organization. So if it requires lot of data processing, maybe switching to IBM SPSS Clementine would be better for the buyer. It depends on the requirements. But in terms of the simplicity, I think the SPSS basic can handle it.

Statistical Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
It breaks under the weight of a moderate amount of data

What is most valuable?

None are particularly valuable to me, because all its features are available in better condition elsewhere.

How has it helped my organization?

Once I joined an organization, I stopped using SPSS entirely. Who needs to spend thousands on a license for halfway decent software when R and Python work for free?

What needs improvement?

• Cost
  • Everything else about the software

I have used SPSS for about 10 years.

It breaks under the weight of a moderate amount of data.

It breaks under the weight of a moderate amount of data.

it_user6549 - PeerSpot reviewer
BI Expert at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Predictive modeling and auto-model are valuable but IBM does not handle our support queries very well

For how long have you used this product?
- Three years

Which features of this product are most valuable to you?
- Predictive modeling, and its best feature is auto-model, it will give you options on which models are best suited to your data such as CHAID, c5 or Logistic REgression, it also displays accuracy, another good feature is that it has boost and reduce data for replication (else you will have to rely on sample power) for power analysis

Can you give an example of how this product has improved the way your organization functions?
- Yes, we predicted enrollment of our students more accurately

What areas of this product have room for improvement?
- pricing maybe

Did you encounter any issues with deployment, stability or scalability?
- It's definitely scalable since its integratable with SQL Server or a flat database file like excel

Did you previously use a different solution and if so, why did you switch?
- We haven't used any since Predictive analytics software is very expensive

Before choosing this product, did you evaluate other options? If so, which ones?
- We used this product this it was parallel with SPSS data sets of which most psychology and stat backgrounds use since its very usable in terms of user interface, its not much based on syntax unlike other software available.

How would you rate the level of customer service and technical support?
- Customer service and technical support is given by STRAND asia, however I would say IBM is not that good in handling our queries.

Was the initial setup straightforward or complex? In what ways?
- It became complex since IBM bought SPSS 4 years ago.

Did you implement through a vendor team or an in-house one? If through a vendor team, how would you rate their level of expertise?
- Through a vendor team

What is your ROI on this product?
- No ROI involved

What advice would you give to others looking into implementing this product?
- IBM SPSS modeler is good to integrate with IBM Cognos, make sure though that you have your data warehouse set up properly, there is also R and Python integration, you can download R essentials (32 bit and 64 bit) to work with R nuggets, definitely a big plus (imagine open source and the power of IBM to bring in a powerful and yet flexible software)

it_user7365 - PeerSpot reviewer
Other non-IT at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
Review of IBM SPSS Text Analytics for Surveys

Coding qualitative data is a time-consuming and often costly aspect of the survey process. In this post, I will provide feedback on IBM SPSS Text Analytics for Surveys (STAS), which is software designed specifically for coding survey data. The benefits of using this software include improved efficiency and consistency when coding text.

STAS allows you to set up a customizable coding algorithm to code your data. You can create your own coding scheme, or you can use one that is already built in. The built-in coding mechanism can identify responses that mention a place, a name, a positive or negative opinion, an opinion of how affordable an item is, and a number of other types of responses. One benefit of STAS is that it recognizes synonyms and alternative versions of words, making the task of setting up a coding algorithm more efficient.

I recently used STAS for two very different projects and found that it worked great for some purposes and not so great for others. If you are considering STAS, you may want to answer the following questions to inform your decision.

1.      How much data do I have?

STAS is optimized for coding 1,000 responses or fewer, each about 40 characters long. I used it to code about 5,000 open-ended survey responses at a time and it still worked reasonably well.

On the other hand, I also used STAS to code over 100,000 Tweets for research into whether Twitter data can supplement survey data. I set up the coding system (STAS calls this a “Text Analysis Package”) with a subset of Tweets, then I used it to code 25,000 Tweets at a time. Initially, I tried coding all 100,000+ Tweets simultaneously, but STAS could not handle it, so I resigned to coding 25,000 at a time and waiting an hour or two while the process was running. See here and here.

2.      Will I be coding more data?

Depending on how complicated your dataset is, setting up the coding system can take a lot of time. You’ll want to consider whether it is worth the initial time investment to set up the coding system, because for a low volume of complicated data, manual coding may be more efficient. For longitudinal studies especially, it might be worth that initial investment of time because once the system is set up you will be able to code subsequent waves of data with minimal effort.

3.      How much will the responses vary?

I found that STAS worked best for coding demographic data because the range of responses was limited. It worked reasonably well for coding types of injuries (also somewhat limited), but it did not work as well for coding relationships between people. These responses ranged from simple responses such as “mother,” “friend,” or “teacher,” to complicated responses that were typically unrepeated in the dataset. The complicated responses were along the lines of “my best friend’s boyfriend’s step-mom’s boss.” I’m sure STAS can be set up to accurately code these sorts of responses, but I had a hard time figuring it out (see #5 below) and quite frankly, it’s probably more efficient to manually code these responses.

4.      Would I be relying on STAS for sentiment analysis?

STAS is capable of coding sentiment, but I would test it carefully to see how it works with your data. As part of our Twitter research, we manually coded a random sample of 500 Tweets in our dataset and found that STAS sentiment coding was in agreement with manual coding only 44% of the time. STAS would likely perform better with survey data than Tweets, which often use unconventional language, but I would still recommend proceeding with caution if you plan to use STAS for sentiment analysis.

5.      Am I able to take a course on STAS?

It took several days of working with test data and poring over the user’s manual (which I was not impressed with) for me to really figure out what to do with STAS. I know enough about STAS to get by, but I have also come to realize just how much I don’t know about STAS. I encourage you to take a STAS course if you are able. Learning new software is usually easy for me, but without any training, I really struggled with STAS.

If you decide to proceed with STAS for coding your data, here’s one tip as you get started. Run your data through spell check (e.g. in Word or Excel) before importing into STAS. STAS catches many spelling errors, but not all. Anything you can correct will speed up the coding process.

Do you have additional STAS tips to share? Has your experience with STAS been similar to or different than mine? Would you recommend something besides STAS for coding?

Please comment below!

it_user7362 - PeerSpot reviewer
Other non-IT at a aerospace/defense firm with 51-200 employees
IBM SPSS Text Analytics - Any Good? Yes.

I recently discovered that IBM bought SPSS a few years ago and is now providing a Text Analytics package called IBM SPSS Text Analytics for Surveys (producing the acronym STAS, which is either a stats package or an STD). I thought I'd take it out for a test drive so I downloaded a 14 day trail version. Before using, I reviewed these excellent tutorials: Analytics Blog and RTI's SurveyPost blog.

For data I could have used their sample data, but I decided to download my Twitter archive. Unfortunately, this caused me some pre-processing hassle. You see, STAS is technically designed for survey data and it expects unstructured language to be in the form of comment responses to questions and it expects those comments to be stored in single cells within a column in a spreadsheet (I see no reason in principle why it couldn't used for analyzing any unstructured data. You just have to package the data in a format SPSS will accept, namely a spreadsheet with the unstructured data all in one column).

Also, STAS does not directly ingests CSV files or Open Office ODC files. Apparently it only accepts inputs of four types: its own file type, Excel, ODBC, and what they call “Data Collection” which I haven't investigated.

Once you open a file, you are asked to drag-and-drop the column name containing your language data into an "Open Ended Text" box (refer to Analytics Blog for screen shots). While I appreciate the simplicity of the drag and drop functionality, my Twitter data had tokens separated into separate columns (which I thought was weird. Let me do my own tokenization, please!). STAS' functional choice means I needed to pre-process my data files. I had to merge the many token columns containing language tokens into a single column. Document pre-processing is common in language analysis, but STAS is supposed to be a platform easy to use for non-engineers. These file ingest and pre-processing steps are tedious and uninteresting and exactly why most people get frustrated. These things can be automated and it is a platform like STAS that ought to be doing this for me.

Also, it seems to only ingest a single file at a time. My Twitter data came to me separated by month so I have 38 files. I can manually merge them, but more work for me. Really no reason STAS can't let me select multiple files all formatted identically, then merge if necessary.

I was surprised and impressed that the software immediately offered me an opportunity to translation non-English comments with a single click. Simple and easy. Quality is what it is with MT. Don't blame STAS if it's a crappy translation. No matter how you slice it, it's a great function. Kudos.

I was super impressed that it will crawl the data and suggest code categories like key concepts. This is essentially topic modeling (though not as sophisticated as something like LDA. The User Guide has a whole chapter devoted to describing the details, but I haven't had time to dig in yet). Color coded clusters of concepts is a very nice function. Colors seem to refer to entity types (Person,. Org, etc). You can collapse all concepts into just the key exemplars of each cluster. There are also several nice filtering options to help you understand what your data is centered around. Here's a screenshot of my final output:

I can see key concept frequencies and filter by that. That's nice. Next steps: Can I see simple word frequencies? Ngrams?

Sentiment analysis can be done with respect to specific categories (food + positive). Pretty easy, but SPSS should mitigate lay people's over-indulgence in sentiment analysis which is tricky and not as easy as this makes it looks. This is where making something easy backfires. How can STAS encourage double checking the data? Gold Standards, sampling, etc.

No doubt, this is easy to use. An academic has the luxury of ignoring people who don't want to learn command line tools or programming languages, but the businessman does not. There's a ton of language data out there owned by thousands of companies and those companies are never going to get their regular employees to learn R just to analyze it. For them, STAS is a legitimate tool that will actually allow the average employee to dig into unstructured data. That's a win.

*In the interest of full disclosure: I do not work for IBM and this is not a sponsored blog in any way. These thoughts are entirely my own. I once worked for IBM briefly over 5 years ago and I still get the occasional IBM recruiter contacting me about opportunities, but this is my personal blog and all content is my own and reflects my honest, personal opinions.

Tech Support Staff at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Data and variable views: Easy to use and effective results

I would like to add and support a few points about this program used to analyze statistics.

I use this software, SPSS, in our company on an annual basis to conduct and analyze surveys. It has two views that I make use of from time to time: data and variable views. With the variable view, we have access to the meta data dictionary while the data view enables us to store our data in the form of columns and rows. The program generally is very easy to use and gives effective results. I learned using this program on my own without any training; it is that simple.

Download our free IBM SPSS Statistics Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022